[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw atheist but still believe something is out there Anyone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 20
File: 1322797896001.png (6 KB, 645x773) Image search: [Google]
1322797896001.png
6 KB, 645x773
>tfw atheist but still believe something is out there

Anyone else the same way? Logically it seems that atheism makes the most sense, and yet it's like my mind can't truly accept that after death, there is nothing and it's all four naught. A part of my brain just seems to scream NO NO NO! Where does this odd spiritual drive come from?
>>
>>27361405
so agnosticism?
>>
>>27361405
You're agnostic senpai.
>>
>>27361405

you can be spiritual without being religious
>>
File: 1452135656774.jpg (55 KB, 720x513) Image search: [Google]
1452135656774.jpg
55 KB, 720x513
>>27361405

Without him; we are imcomplete.

He is the drop of water that makes all water known.
>>
>>27361405
I think it's fear, anon-kun. I am not afraid of death. I am afraid of the way I go to death (mauled by bears, vegetative state, etc), but I do not fear the concept of death, or what comes after. Personally, there is nothing to death, we just cease to exist.
Just because death is the end doesn't mean you have approach life fatalistically.
I think that reading some philosophy might help
Try:
Meditations
The Stranger
On The Nature of Things
A Farewell to Arms
There is so much beauty in the world, and so much to do. Worrying about is useless, for you cannot avoid it, and no one can say what happens after.
Don't be afraid. Embrace it.
>>
>>27361447

You cant.

Thats like saying you can wash without water.
>>
File: inner universe.gif (2 MB, 350x196) Image search: [Google]
inner universe.gif
2 MB, 350x196
>>27361405
>Anyone else the same way

Same here op. I don't believe there is an entity, but I do believe in what many refer to as a "perfect balance in the universe".

I'll sometimes ask the balance to lean in my favor or for balance myself on a particular thing or issue.
>>
File: 1452887384688-4.jpg (14 KB, 236x345) Image search: [Google]
1452887384688-4.jpg
14 KB, 236x345
All was made through him and understanding will only come through him.

> In the midst of that night, in my darkness,
I saw the awesome sight of Christ
opening the heavens for me.
And he bent down to me and showed himself to me
with the Father and the Holy Spirit
in the thrice holy light --
a single light in three, and a threefold light in one,
for they are altogether light,
and the three are but one light,.
And he illumined my soul
more radiantly than the sun,
and he lit up my mind,
which had until then been in darkness.
Never before had my mind seen such things.
I was blind, you should know it, and I saw nothing.
That was why this strange wonder
was so astonishing to me,
when Christ, as it were, opened the eye of my mind,
when he gave me sight, as it were,
and it was him that I saw.
He is Light within Light, who appears
to those who contemplate him,
and contemplatives see him in light --
see him, that is, in the light of the Spirit...
And now, as if from far off,
I still see that unseeable beauty,
that unapproachable light, that unbearable glory.
My mind is completely astounded.
I tremble with fear.
Is this a small taste from the abyss,
which like a drop of water
serves to make all water known
in all its qualities and aspects?...
I found him, the One whom I had seen from afar,
the one whom Stephen saw
when the heavens opened,
and later whose vision blinded Paul.
Truly, he was as a fire in the center of my heart.
I was outside myself, broken down, lost to myself,
and unable to bear the unendurable brightness of that glory.
And so, I turned
and fled into the night of the senses.
>>
>>27361511
see
>>27361530

whatever happened to robot jones
>>
I used to

Until I read about the hilariously improbable conditions of life in the universe, from that point I only live with the hope of making something useful to this planet
>>
>>27361530

Ask yourself the consequence of Universe without God.

A Universe that is not endowed with purpose is one in which our lives are lived in vain.
>>
>>27361405
>Logically it seems that atheism makes the most sense

I think you mean deism.
>>
>>27361405
Odds are we are living in a simulation. Afterlife is guaranteed fampai.
>>
>>27361593

You will not find favor in this deterministic Universe.
>>
>>27361405
Yes. Reality is too arbitrary for it be all there is. And if it is all there is, I doubt that it will always be the way it is, so it might as well not be.

All logic traces back to nonsense because it reaches a point where it needs to reach outside of its own system to justify itself.
>>
File: 017.gif (464 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
017.gif
464 KB, 500x281
>>27361621
>Ask yourself the consequence of Universe without God.
None. The universe can maintain it's own equilibrium.
>A Universe that is not endowed with purpose is one in which our lives are lived in vain.
Purpose is a human construct. Biology is the only purpose living organisms are naturally born with.

It's ok to do and believe what you want though
>>
>>27361405

If you are an atheist; what is the point of belief?

The logical conclusion of atheism is nihilism.
>>
File: 1444509329469.jpg (24 KB, 383x487) Image search: [Google]
1444509329469.jpg
24 KB, 383x487
Why aren't more people on /r9k/ Buddhist?

>don't believe in God; believe that gods eventually die
>the First Noble Truth: Life is suffering
>way to Nirvana is being a NEET
>>
>>27361646
>favor

GTFO
T
F
O

No one cares
>>
>>27361715

You seem to feel that this balance is in our favor.

Perhaps you do not; but you do realise our lives are of no consequence either way.

> Purpose is a human construct. Biology is the only purpose living organisms are naturally born with.

Trancendant purpose is the only thing that lends weight any value. It seperates us from the animals. There are no absolutes in your world.
>>
>>27361773

there is talk of balance as if your life has any weight.
>>
I wish there were gods. I wish magic existed. I wish there were other planes of existence and different dimensions. I wish there were deep, arcane mysteries and bizarre eldritch shit going on.

But there isn't. This is a purely physical, mundane universe where shit literally happened by sheer chance. And we make stuff up to protect ourselves from that dull, depressing reality.
Sorry, lads.
>>
File: the-passion-of-the-christ.jpg (113 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
the-passion-of-the-christ.jpg
113 KB, 1280x720
>>27361764

There is life in Christ; in that there is Joy.

That Joy asks us to particpate in the sufferings of the world not to refrain from it and see them tranformed.

< This is a happy man.
>>
>>27361828
You haven't been looking hard enough, anon

But they're definitely muted
>>
>>27361828

At least your honest.
>>
File: 1458673219675.jpg (34 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
1458673219675.jpg
34 KB, 540x540
>>27361405

for OP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXnbH6v7pWg
>>
File: hee.gif (1 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
hee.gif
1 MB, 500x281
>>27361794
>You seem to feel that this balance is in our favor.
Universe=Equilibrium
That's the only thing I feel
>but you do realise our lives are of no consequence either way.
Our lives are just the current balance of the universe, nothing more
>It seperates us from the animals
Biology does
>>27361794
>There are no absolutes in your world
Absolute Universal Balance is

Universal Equilibrium
>>
>>27361511
You can easily wash yourself without water. Muslims used sand. Greeks used olive oil. Fuck wasting water just to get shit off your skin, such a waste of a precious resource.
>>
File: self-flagellation.jpg (114 KB, 750x612) Image search: [Google]
self-flagellation.jpg
114 KB, 750x612
>>27361848

Grace be to you and peace from God the Father, and from our Lord Jesus Christ.

May we suffer as our savior suffered.
>>
>>27361949

>That's the only thing I feel

If thats what you feel; go ahead.

> Our lives are just the current balance of the universe, nothing more

That balance wont be affected by my own actions then? There are many who would love to hear that.

> Biology does

What is love? what is compassion?

Are these just human constructs? I suppose there is no moral law; only what is preferable in a given society.
>>
>>27361530
>>27361715
>>27361949
Marry me, why are you so perfect.

I've always felt everything happened for a reason, but everything you said scientifically speaking makes perfect sense. Where are other people who think like this?
>>
I don't really think there's an after life but every fiber of my being hopes that I'm wrong
>>
>>27362010

The spirtual life is a life of self denial; to shtrip aways thetemptations of the world and ultimately the flesh itself.

As Christ says:

> That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

Rebirth is only possible through the spirit and water.

Living Water.
>>
>>27362153

thats a poetic sentence, i like it
>>
>>27362069
>If thats what you feel; go ahead.
ok
>That balance wont be affected by my own actions then?
Nope. Universal equilibrium is absolute. Your mass and energy is too small to exert a force strong enough to change the balance.
>>27362069
>What is love? what is compassion? Are these just human constructs?
It's Biology, every major functioning organ working in tandem.
>I suppose there is no moral law; only what is preferable in a given society.
Those are human constructs
>>
>>27362153

Those who remain in darkness shall shun the light; but those who love the light shall remain in it.
>>
>>27362228

So its just chemicals in your brain that makes you miss a loved on when they are dead?

Good to know there is no value to human life beyond my own self interests.
>>
File: 0435.gif (751 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
0435.gif
751 KB, 300x300
Why are there no countries where organized religion is illegal yet?

When are people going to be allowed to think for themselves and make their own decisions without being indoctrinated?
>inb4 jews
>>27362302
Biology is pretty complicated and special huh

Now let me dissect you
>>
>not accepting the sweet embrace of the abyss

Death is probably exactly like what it was like before you were born: not existing. I'm pretty cool with that.

There is a chance for some benevolent cosmic entity to come save you and preserve your consciousness somehow. It's nice to think about, but I wouldn't bank on it.
>>
>>27362352
>When are people going to be allowed to think for themselves and make their own decisions without being indoctrinated?

Yes; then they will all be free to think just like you.
>>
>>27361405
I think it's important to never stop questioning your own beliefs. Even a scientist would admit that theories change and should never be taken as fact. Personally, I think that being mindful of the present moment is essential in seeking what, if anything, nature has to teach us regarding reality.
>>
>>27362409
Nope, religion tried to indoctrinate me at a young age too

I don't know a single person who religion hasn't tried to influence them before adulthood
>>
File: 1452911452964-0.jpg (188 KB, 640x453) Image search: [Google]
1452911452964-0.jpg
188 KB, 640x453
There is one rock in the shifting sands.

Pick up your cross and follow him when you are ready.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOaWCKqZMWw

He will not leave you orphans.

Night.
>>
>>27362499

ex atheist here
>>
>>27362499
You lose all credibility due to being a tripfag.
>>
>>27362352
>Why are there no countries where organized religion is illegal yet?

>When are people going to be allowed to think for themselves and make their own decisions without being indoctrinated?

This isn't very consistent.
>>
File: 001.gif (439 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
001.gif
439 KB, 640x360
>>27362597
>This isn't very consistent

I was posing two separate questions. They're not supposed to be answered in tandem together- sorry if it seemed hypocritical to you
>>27362534
good to know
>>27362590
>credibility
>4chan
I love you too anon you do realize this thread is about shit none of us will ever fully understand right?
>>
File: the-truth-is-out-there.jpg (102 KB, 1262x720) Image search: [Google]
the-truth-is-out-there.jpg
102 KB, 1262x720
>>27361405
>believe something is out there

pic related.
And the truth is ayyy lmaos are real.
>>
>>27363223
>ayyy lmaos are real
Where's your proof?... Where's your... evidence?
>>
>logically atheism makes the most sense

I disagree, but I don't see any argument for any major religion or even God.

I base my argument on probabilistic inference: the sheer probably of 'you' existing in a random universe is so low that I posit 'God' has a substantially higher chance of existing than that actually occurring.
>>
I believe that there is something out there that created us, whether an alien, god or fucking giant hairy ballsack idgaf. I do not believe that there is anything after death though.
>>
>>27361715
>>27361949
>>27362228
>>27362677
>this
why can't people be logical? see the things how they really are? everything is society is so nonsensical, it just makes me sad, how people can be so stupid, ignorant about how thing ACTUALLY work?
>>
>>27361405
you're an emergent self-aware life-form in a fractal universe op

you need to go spend some time in nature and think m8
>>
>>27364041
Too hard to think in nature whilst trying to survive.
>>
>>27361405

Atheism doesn't purely have to be about logic. You can logically think there are more and more sophisticated or more powerful lifeforms out there, up to including supernatural ones, yet fell you shouldn't worship them.
>>
File: Pe42.jpg (820 KB, 1002x1563) Image search: [Google]
Pe42.jpg
820 KB, 1002x1563
>>27363977
Listening to someone else is easier than self discovery. Majority of people like ease/easy.
>>
File: baptism-baby.jpg (415 KB, 1162x778) Image search: [Google]
baptism-baby.jpg
415 KB, 1162x778
>>27364765
and this is usually the first person that talks to you and asks that you listen the most
>>
File: kent_hovind_portrait.jpg (19 KB, 182x160) Image search: [Google]
kent_hovind_portrait.jpg
19 KB, 182x160
"Being a good person" doesn't get you to heaven. To go to heaven, you have to be flawless and have committed no sins. You need a sacrifice for your sins so God can look at you as a son rather than as someone who is wicked.

OP and everyone in this thread: I am sure you will be a Christian if you watch this video in its entirety. Please watch every second, as it only gets better. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meIg-TyDm-g

The man making the atheist professors speechless in this video was put in prison for nine years merely for withdrawing his own money from his own bank account.

May Christ bless you, and if you decide to become a Christian, please only read the King James Bible, as all others have been strategically altered and corrupted.
>>
File: MTE1ODA0OTcxNTk5NzU4ODYx.jpg (279 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
MTE1ODA0OTcxNTk5NzU4ODYx.jpg
279 KB, 1200x1200
>>27364865
Based Hovind. Jeffrey Dahmer became a Christian in prison after watching his videos.
>>
>>27364865
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meIg-TyDm-g
25 minutes in and it's one of the GOATest atheist rekings of all time, wew.
>>
>>27364865
I made it 15 mins
It's very apparent this guy has no proper schooling in philosophy or science and tries his hardest to shoehorn the nature of the universe into the creationism framework instead of independently examining issues.

I found it laughable when he claimed that a larger brow ridge was indicative of a vastly longer life span.

Or the question "if evolution is true, how can we tell right from wrong?" as if moral frameworks require humans being created as they are and not being what they are now. (protip: they don't, unless you're a twisted young earth creationist)
>>
>>27361405
Just be a deist. I float between athiest and deist. I don't do agnostic. But I'm a deist right now. I just talked with my chemist friend who is a deist and we talked about all the insane things in math, physics, and chemistry and the laws of the universe just seem to structured to be completely random. There are too many creepy things. Like the notion of pi being piD = C and pi is irrational and can't be calculated. Like what the fuck. And quarks can't be separated. I don't believe in the Abrahamic notion of god, but something structured the universe and it wasn't nothing.
>>
File: 1458785430221.jpg (43 KB, 960x647) Image search: [Google]
1458785430221.jpg
43 KB, 960x647
The only confirmed truths known to this existence are equilibrium, curiousity, destruction and death.

Life is complex yet simple, the bible gives you a choice to accept that simple world or go mad tinkering for secrets. Lucifer represents the free man in search of knowledge, not a martyr as lavey satanists parrot or evil doer as christfags claim. Even Odin gave his eye to acquire knowledge.

We theorized the universe expands, the origin of life ( core of universe ) dies out, the cold blackholes spread like a plague to the edge of the donut. The last atoms capable of moving flicker out like dust after impact, we return to a void.

I'd like to believe multiple universes exist and that our death would kickstart the next world somehow.
>>
>>27364865
>>27365620
Go to 1:17:15
>>
>>27365899
>>27365620
Actually, 1:22:50 is where evolution really gets pwned scientifically with the flaws in its dating pointed out.
>>
>>27363223
x-files master race
>>
>>27366418
You mean Mulder master race.
>>
File: main.jpg (898 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
main.jpg
898 KB, 1920x1080
The question of God is irrelevant. Free will don't exist, therefore the only serious philosophical question is not if there is a God or a life after death, but if there is a life before.

This is far worse than living in a world without God: realizing that we certainly don't exist at all, that your consciousness is another illusion.

Well, worse until we learn to live without ego like Buddhist monks or jewish kabbalists
>>
>>27366651
scully>mulder
>>
believing in something makes it "real", as in it becomes a sort of cosmic force

its how meme magic works, the amount of people x the faith = the strength of the force, though there may be other variables

not sure about the afterlife though that's still up in the air
>>
>>27362302>>27362302
>so it's just chemicals in your brain
Yes, that's exactly it and you know that already, stop pretending like you don't. The feelings of "love" people feel are triggered and controlled by hormones and chemicals. Humans are animals, we function like all other animals, what do you not get about that? We're no more important than other animals. Thousands of years of religion pushing a concept which I can only call "human-centrism" may give given you the idea that we're more complex and have a higher place in the universe, but that's not true. Humans, and this planet, are irrelevant in the grand scope of the universe, and any attempts to prove otherwise have always been out of a deep fear of death. That's it.

One thing that I don't understand about people like you is your inability to appreciate and enjoy feelings of love and passion, be it for other people or your own interests, without recognizing that it's simply a chemical reaction in your brain. That simple fact doesn't negate the important experiences they provide. Human life does have value, as do the lives of all creatures, but not because of some creator or higher purpose. Sorry if I rambled on there, I'm quite poor at writing but hopefully I got my point across.
>>
>>27363446
>I believe that there is something out there that created us
I also think this. I don't necessarily think there's life after death, but I do believe that some weird all powerful being created everything. And whoever he is, he hates us.
>>
>>27364865
While this isn't related to Christianity really, in Buddhism they say that a typical person cannot become enlightened and beak free from Samsara overnight, basically similar to what you say about being flawless and sinless.
It takes lifetimes of rebirths for the average person to end the cycle but the point is, in each life you do a better job.
Obviusly for the more selfish and bad you are, the more times you're gonna have to go through the same shit until you learn your lesson.
>>
I think most people have a fundamental misconception of God.
They see God as some wizard in the sky, unironically, that's what they think of when they think of God.

To me God is the creator and source, it's in all of us, every human, animal, every living thing including trees and water I guess, basically nature.
I think the reason Christians call this source "Father" is the same reasons some Pagans might say things like "Mother Earth" or Rasta's say "Jah" or some shit. It doesn't matter what you call God, it's the same thing we're all talking about.
I hope you're able to follow this.

Now Jesus Christ becomes tricky, because obviously something happened in history, something big and none of us will ever be able to know how it really went down but the fact of the matter is that ever since then, mankind significantly changed.

I always find it interesting that the scientist who came up with the Big Bang Theory was in fact a Catholic and believer in God and everything, it goes to show that religion and science are not mutually exclusive. Science often explains how things work but it always fails to explain why it works that way, obviously because nobody really knows but religion does provide answers.
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.