[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do i become /monk/ and not care about women anymore?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: 1456073708964.jpg (26 KB, 500x599) Image search: [Google]
1456073708964.jpg
26 KB, 500x599
How do i become /monk/ and not care about women anymore?
>>
what did you just do? Watch 7 years in tibet?

go to a buddhist temple and ask to be taught what its like and means to be a buddhist. If they accept you and you're not some fat ass weaboo then you can become an awesome wizard monk
>>
walk through a desert
>>
start off by meditating
>>
join freemasonry. they're the only ones who know actual science behind religion, meditation, etc.
>>
File: 1443115055498.jpg (244 KB, 770x2026) Image search: [Google]
1443115055498.jpg
244 KB, 770x2026
>>27347647
go into the jhanas

>>>/lit/7828214

always remember that

for people saying that hedonism is relevant,
>life=what you feel+what you think+what you expect from your desires from what you feel and think
therefore,
>grade your desires
>non acting on your favorite desires = non life = death :DDDD

while the dhamma is:
perpetual evanescence of what you think and feel, therefore cannot be taken seriously (to be happy) => stay still towards what you think and feel.
>>
Basically, stream entry happens when you've got the mind as quiet as possible that you can through your concentration practice, and you start asking the question, "Is there still some stress here?"

And you look for it.

And this is one of the reasons why you look for inconstancy because you want to see the rise and fall of the level of stress experienced by the mind. You're not talking about the body now.

And you begin to notice that there are certain things you do that are going to raise the stress level (just minor things at this point in your concentration). And you say, "I'm going to stop doing that." And then you stop doing that. And that will take you to another level of concentration. So you go through the levels of concentration this way.

Finally, you get as far as you can go in concentration. And you begin to realize [...], the question comes up, "There's stress if I stay here, but there's going to be stress if I move, and this is where it gets paradoxical, you neither stay nor move. There's no intention either way because you realize whichever way you intend, there's going to be stress." And it's in that moment of non-intention that things open up.

And it's very impressive, it's not one of these things you say, "Gee, I had stream entry and I didn't even know it." It's earth shattering.
>>
Discovered meditation through trying Tai Chi in my teens and realized it was a resonant practice for me. Began proper practice in the Dzhogchen tradition in my 20's and have been meditating off and on for over 23 years with varying degrees of intensity. Began the Ngondro in 2008, my father died and I stopped practice altogether having something like a "Dark Night" experience, started to pick up my practice again and last July, while on my way to get new tires had the following experience:

As I came to a stop at an intersection, a few cars behind the first in line.... suddenly my "perception" shifted.

Things looked perceptually brighter as though a shade had been lifted from my vision. Things had no individual existence, or were "empty" of it but interconnected at every point to one another. There was no center to anything - my experience of my body as the center of the universe was gone, and my perception felt like it came from everywhere and nowhere at the same time. There was no time. I mean that moments were passing, but that the experience of it was gone like I was travelling entirely with the finger of time. I realized that all moments were present, and birth and death were there as well.
It wasn't frightening, in fact it was delightful. Relaxing, like finally sitting in front of the fire after a long day. Blissful, even. I started to try to characterize this jawdropping experience by describing it to myself. I was worried after I had started to do this, though, that I would "collapse" the experience by trying to reduce it to symbols. The experience continued for about 10 - 15 minutes as the light changed and I drove through more city traffic and a short freeway drive. I came to a stop after exiting the freeway with the feeling still strong in my mind and body, I asked myself what I could do to arrive once again in that fantastic state. A few minutes after a slightly disconnected conversation with man at the tire store counter it fully faded.
>>
>>27349036
After pulling all of the Buddhism books off the shelf I had tried to use to get enlightened by intellectual means over the years and scouring them for an experience that matched mine, I found that a "Satori" sounded most like my experience. I found some similar experiences by intensively searching the internet. I started back with sitting, and went for a first visit to a local Zen monastery and finally found the teacher I had been looking for who agreed with me that my experience was Stream Entry and that the experience and description of my brief visit to the dharmakaya were congruent with her experience.

The upshot for me is that I have abandoned the three fetters, as a Sotapanna would. Also, it is simple for me to dip into emptiness meditation and stay there at a fairly quiet level with little effort, and that meditation arises naturally of it's own accord at any time that there is space (driving/walking to my office, etc.) I have an increased and sustained level of "clarity" about interpersonal things as well as an ability not to take the suffering of others as my own (physically/emotionally feel it as empathy), but to have REAL compassion for them, and that *very significantly* my lifelong problem with anxiety (which included the use of strong medications) is completely gone. I am also driven to meditate. It is no longer a chore but an indulgence. Sitting everyday for between 30 - 40 minutes has deepened many of these effects.
>>
There are two brothers, one of pleasant company and one quick to anger.

The man of pleasant company says, he does not believe his brothers claims that his anger is out of control. He believes he can control his anger, that there is no good reason to be angry.
>>
>>27347647
A Catholic monk or a Buddhist one? ..
>>
>>27349055

keep practicing!
>>
>>27349126
are you good with the jhanas ?
>>
>>27349055
That's really interesting, I had a similar experience while in a meditation class, but it was a very basic one and I knew nothing about jhana or stream entry. The experience of letting go of the idea of my "self" was the calmest I've ever been. Like you said, it opened the doors to understanding compassion, which has removed a lot of hate from my life.
>>
File: Spirituality.png (459 KB, 625x556) Image search: [Google]
Spirituality.png
459 KB, 625x556
"Teacher, I'm trying so hard to relax but nothing's working....."
"Try harder....."
>>
>>27349765
desiring to be awaken will not make it happen
desire to be awaken means that you have diligence towards the practice.

the lazy hedonist loving their pleasures and hating their pains will always pollute any other doctrine which is not hedonism
>>
>>27350250
I'm not really sure what you're getting at, since my picture is making fun of what lifelong seekers do. The very attempt to get anywhere or gain anything is the issue - you can never become, you can only be. All these meditations and practices are foolishness.
>>
>>27350357
the brain waves of long time monks have measurable differences from those of random people. humans aren't some kind of closed system that is impossible to modify
>>
>>27350386
A guy isolated from society sitting in poses all day can be more "relaxed" than an average Joe, but that doesn't mean he's transcended anything.
>>
>>27347711
>only ones who know actual science behind religion
So you mean fun a religion like a business to cuck people onto thinking their lives will be ok?
>>
File: 1457660895370.png (102 KB, 288x310) Image search: [Google]
1457660895370.png
102 KB, 288x310
>>27350357
>The very attempt to get anywhere or gain anything is the issue - you can never become, you can only be. All these meditations and practices are foolishness.
thank you based 20 year old hedonist.
>>
>>27350691
I'm not a hedonist, since I was never any better off after getting what I wanted. Clearly you don't get how futile all this garbage is; I wasted years on practices, meditations, etc. and it did nothing but fill my head up with nonsense. Feel free to actually contribute something to this discussion.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.