[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is true human strength gained through letting your actions act
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: Kalevala.png (10 KB, 482x495) Image search: [Google]
Kalevala.png
10 KB, 482x495
Is true human strength gained through letting your actions act in alignment with your feelings, or by acting in defiance to your desires?
>>
the latter is harder so that one you idiot
>>
>>27344661
Not necessarily, Aristotle would argue that a truly virtuous man is a man that desires to act with virtue in all situations. A truly honest man doesn't just always tell the truth but would never want to lie
>>
>>27344737
acting with virtue is going against selfish desire dumbshit.
>>
>>27344778
Again, not necessarily. There are people that are charitable, solely because they want to be charitable. They desire to give to charity, some would argue that that is greater than someone that begrudgingly gives to charity because it's "the right thing to do".
>>
>>27344778
Nah, he's got a basically correct reading of Aristotle.

The Greeks thought it was a good first step to be virtuous, but that Good (with a capital G) consisted in acting in accordance with virtue to the end of your own happiness.

If someone died unhappily, or even if his estate fell into disrepair, it would be said he did not live a virtuous life.

On the contrary, someone like Kant is going to say that desire should have nothing to do with how you act and that you should only act according to thinkable maxims.

Me? I think it's an aspect of masculinity to be stoic. Your actions should be as rational as possible and you shouldn't betray much emotion in any aspect of your life.
>>
>>27344898
Yeah, personally I tend to agree with the first poster, but I don't think it's as cut and dry as the first poster made it out to be.
I'm more of a relativist though. I don't think there is an objective right and wrong and we all make our own moral code. Personally I derive my morals from a utilitarian standpoint and I tend to think people are selfish and that generally fighting off selfish desires benefits the most people, so I think that is what it means to have strong character. If that makes any sense
>>
philosophy more like philosogay
>>
>>27344509
>Is true human strength ga

True human strength is having the will and ability to survive
>>
The modern world bears little resemblance to the world in which feelings evolved. They are often influenced by a multitude of factors that are completely irrelevant to the situation at hand.There's no reason to believe that following your feelings will lead to a better outcome than careful analysis.

That said, I'm not suggesting that every decision you make needs to be made with perfect and careful consideration. Context is important, and in some contexts, *what* you do is less important than just doing *something*. The relative value of decisions should always be kept in perspective. (For example, don't waste your time perfecting a 5 assignment when there's a 100 point project you ought to be working on).

Feelings should to be used to quickly assess a situation. They should not be the final determinant of your actions. Use them to guide your initial response while you bring contextual knowledge to bear. If your feelings tell you to indulge in X (sleeping in, eating shit, mindless entertainment, not working out), it's clear that following your feelings isn't going to help in achieving your goal.

Also, don't even try to "fix" your feelings or bring them into alignment with your considered goals. It's an impossible goal, and it's unnecessary.
>>
>>27345543
>fell for the goal meme
>>
>>27345567
Yes yes, you're so clever for figuring out that there's no inherent meaning in existence. But unless you plan on killing yourself, you need to fill your time somehow.
>>
True human strength is achieved by repeatedly picking up and putting down heavy objects, which is in defiance of my desires.
>>
>>27344509
>Is true human strength gained through letting your actions act in alignment with your feelings, or by acting in defiance to your desires?

squats and oats
>>
My gods are nature and balance.
I act like my human nature has designated me to act. Call me edgy, but to truly become a great man, you must wade through everything life throws at you at any cost would it be immoral or not.
We are talking about survival, not honor.

I would gladly be true to myself and ape nature than be the honorable white knight with principles.
>>
File: 1451069750571.jpg (156 KB, 671x502) Image search: [Google]
1451069750571.jpg
156 KB, 671x502
>>27345632
fucking gymfags read a book
>>
>>27345166
>>27346229
>>27346277
You cheeky motherfuckers.
>>
>>27345234
Everyone has will to survive, it takes more strength for a man to kill himself than to continue living.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.