[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm bored, can't sleep. I teach STEM at a tiny private
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 1430870364194.png (975 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1430870364194.png
975 KB, 1920x1080
I'm bored, can't sleep.

I teach STEM at a tiny private university in the USA. I am a "lecturer" which in the US means I have a Master's instead of a PhD.

Ask me anything. Here are some random things that might interest you:

>Diversity matters in hiring. It is cheaper to promote "diversity" by hiring people who aren't the best fit for the job but are minorities because scholarships (to increase and retain minority students) cost money.

>I have total control over grades. I have uniliterally "raised" the entire class's grade in order to make it so I didn't fail them all.

>My university "strongly recommends" attendance policies and tells students to make appointments with professors when they miss too many and their grades are low. I don't really know what to say at these meetings...

>Most STEM degrees do not translate into employability.
>>
>>27341050
Is it a good private university or one of those private universities that no one has heard of because they're shit? Do you want to do this forever?
>>
>>27341050

Camile Paglia specifically mentioned the plight of educators in universities today. I mean you sort of get the social prestige, but that's a very cold comfort. I wonder if kids coming into colleges and universities today realize what a raw deal it is. It was for me and I graduated almost a decade ago.
>>
>>27341050

which STEM degrees do you think actually translate to employability?
>>
>>27341050
>Diversity matters in hiring

Megabank grunt here. This shit is rife here. It really gets obnoxious to witness people that clearly don't know what they're doing getting hired/promoted because of it.
>>
>>27341099

World-famous small one. <3000 students.

>>27341107

"Social prestige". The only people who are impressed with my degree and my job are people who don't make a lot of money. I don't mind the pay (45,000 for 30 weeks of work is not horrible for a glorified adjunct).

Education is a joke now. You just go for the socialization and the opportunity. The key thing is the opportunity, not the education. Learning is a lot easier at college but you don't really have to do it.

>>27341123

Most engineering degrees, some technology degrees with the right experience / skills / internships, not much else.
>>
>>27341186

I'm kind of surprised to hear that, I mean universities need to pander to the feds and look "liberal" and inviting, but banks?

Why do banks care about diversity?
>>
>>27341434
PR. Banks aren't exactly popular with folks these days. Being big into progressive thought and diversity is meant to help counter the whole "big evil swindling bank" stigma.
>>
Cs or just self teach programming? I just want to free lance from a remote location in a cozy cabin in Vermont.
>>
>>27341446

Somehow I really doubt anyone will buy that bullshit.. it is a fucking bank. That would only work with a really small local bank that still had "we are not greedy" pseudocredibility.
>>
>>27341482
I'm with you there. It won't stop upper management from jerking off their shareholders though.
>>
>>27341501

All the administrative types at my school are white. None of them have suggested hiring minorities for their positions. They were all internally promoted too - depressing.

>>27341479

CS won't get you a job unless you have an internship / experience / a padded and useful GitHub.

Self-taught might work if you do good work. If you want to be lazy and not be one of the best, you might want a degree.
>>
>>27341615
I want to be ok
>>
>>27341641

Learn how to make a website (including the backend shit and scripts and everything with the server). I have friends who started with non-IT/CS degrees, learned programming, made websites, and eventually got a good client base and a nice set-up running their own businesses.

Takes a few years to do though.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.