[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to not be edgy?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4
File: CoolWhiteGuy.jpg (56 KB, 567x623) Image search: [Google]
CoolWhiteGuy.jpg
56 KB, 567x623
How do I stop being an edgelord?

I feel like my edginess scares people away when I try to make a friend.

I hate how people try to force their PC opinions on others so I just take the most offensive opinion in these topics. I can't help it, I get so mad when people talk about this stuff and I can't stop myself from spouting edgy shit. Help me.
>>
>>27340814
I don't know if any of these will work for you or not but they're worth a shot.
1) Stop visiting "edgy" websites so you don't even know what the latest edgy opinions are (easier said than done I know)
2) Do some activity that puts you near older or more conservative people. Hang out with your parents if that's an option for you. Unless you got this trait from them. You tend to pick up traits from those you hang around
3) Learn to respect "PC" thoughts. They have some good points sometimes. Really.
4) Anger management techniques maybe? If you get so mad that you can't control yourself you might have an issue. Take a (reliable) test online to see what it says.
5) Hang out with other edgy people and say whatever the fuck you want

Have fun!
>>
>>27340814
When you turn 15, it will go away.
>>
>>27340814
Fake it til you make it bro

unfuckinoriginal
>>
File: cradle of filth.jpg (45 KB, 558x708) Image search: [Google]
cradle of filth.jpg
45 KB, 558x708
>>27340814
Realize that their PC opinions and your edgy opinions, it don't matter, none of this matters.

Gun control, gay marriage, Israel and Palestine, China and Tibet, Trump and Sanders, feminism and men's rights, etc.

It's just co-opting other people's problems and making them your own so you life can be a little more exciting and feel like you're a part of something.
>>
File: 1455955592029.png (569 KB, 920x720) Image search: [Google]
1455955592029.png
569 KB, 920x720
>>27340814
Protip: Don't
You'll meet other people who think the way you do eventually. Besides, edgy humor is the best humor.
>>
>>27341143
Edgy humor is literally shit tier.
>>
A good portion of my edginess stems from personal insecurities. I'm not in the position to get over mine and likely never will.

If can do such a thing, I would recommend it.
>>
>>27341062
Yeah, I guess my first step should be to stop visiting 4chan. That's a tough one.

Got any good anger tests?
>>
>>27341158
This.

Racist/rape/dead baby jokes are on the same level as knock-knock jokes for kids.

SOME edgy jokes are funny, but because they're funny.
>>
>>27341219
Yeah. a well written joke is a well written joke...but 99% of racist and dark jokes, and the people who tell them, are not funny.
>>
>>27341291
They become funny when they offend. There's comedic value in the transgressive.
>>
>>27341344
No because it's not really offensive to make racist or holocaust jokes. It's just sad.
>>
>>27341379
Major reddit user detected where is mods
>>
>>27341379
Depends on the context. In certain spaces, they will definitely offend.
>>
>>27341212
This one isn't bad: http://gracepointwellness.org/116-anger-management/article/3396-anger-quiz
>>
>>27341212
Try this one too: http://www.angermanagementresource.com/anger-test.html
>>
>>27341344
>>27341411
>>27341466

If something is only funny in a certain set of circumstances, and is only funny to you, it's not actually really funny.

You're getting a laugh out of the reaction that you're getting from your own edginess, there's no point in saying that it's a joke or anything. Just pull down your pants and piss all over the rug, it amounts to the same reaction.

If you tell a racist joke to someone who's not racist, but also not a thin-skinned PC liberal you get a genuine reaction

>HEY....HEY... WHY DID THE NIGGER CROSS THE ROAD?
>I don't know, why did he cross th-
>BECAUSE THERE'S A KFC AND UNEMPLOYMENT OFFICE AND A BUNCH OF WHITE GIRLS ON THE OTHER SIDE HEEEHEEEEEHEEEE
>...what? oh... yeah cause that's like the racial stereotype.... okay... then what?
>>
>>27341566
Same with atheist humor, holy shit.

>SO, GET THIS, NOAH SAYS THAT HE WAS INSTRUCTED TO GATHER TWO OF EVERY ANIMALS?! WH..... I MEAN,, HOW PREPOSTEROUS! JUST HOW BIG IS THIS ARK OF HIS! AND WHAT ABOUT FISH AND AMPHIBIANS? I SAY, IT'S ALMOST AS IF THIS WAS A WORK OF FICTION!
>>
>>27341566
All jokes are dependent on context and delivery. By your standards, nothing is really funny.

It's one thing to act obscene, but it's another to really violate someone's core beliefs. There's a a significant difference in the reaction.
>>
>>27341643
If a stand-up comic goes on stage and just bombs and bombs and bombs, but he laughs at his own jokes and how the audience reacts, would you say that he's funny?

It's the same thing with edgy humor. What's funny about it, to the person making the joke, is not the joke itself but the reaction to it.
>>
>>27341828
>It's the same thing with edgy humor. What's funny about it, to the person making the joke, is not the joke itself but the reaction to it.
The reaction is is part of the joke. What makes a joke funny is rarely the joke itself.
>>
Try to consider the feelings of others when you do things

Think about things logically instead of just following trends on websites

Meditate
>>
>>27342065

what?

So an audience that laughs at a stand-up comic aren't actually laughing at his jokes.. they're laughing at themselves because they're laughing?

That makes no sense senpai. Setup and punchline and sometimes tag, that's how jokes work.
>>
>>27342106
Problem is I don't reeaaally care about these people. I just wanna get to know them so I'm not so alone all the time. I kinda have to force myself to care about their feelings.
>>
>>27342179
Then you're always going to have issues with people.
>>
>>27342153
I'm not the one your replied to.

People find reaction channels on youtube funny. Are you saying millions of people watch hours of unfunny videos? Nah, it's subjective and a reaction to something funny or offensive can make it funny.
>>
>>27341618
>Same with atheist humor, holy shit.
when did 4chan get religious?
You really think 14 of every "clean" animal(yes noah supposed took 14 of every kosher animal) and 2 of every "unclean" animal were put on a boat smaller than the titanic?
>>
>>27342153
>So an audience that laughs at a stand-up comic aren't actually laughing at his jokes.. they're laughing at themselves because they're laughing?
No, but there are multiple factors that would bring the audience to laugh. Delivery is hugely important, and one comedian could bomb and another could succeed with the same jokes if one delivered it properly. The way a joke is presented matters just as much as the content of the joke.
>>
http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/

OP, go read every post every written on this blog. First read the ones on narcissism as you are a textbook case. If you don't get over yourself soon you will be alone forever
>>
>>27342291
Why do you think I'm a narcissist?
>>
>>27342179
If you're only hanging out with them cause you have no one better, it could show. Assuming you can, try a different social activity? If you can't then I guess just be friendly for the moment
>>27342291
Good blog. Weird, but interesting.
>>
>>27342283

Where did I defend the Bible and said that I was Christian?

I think religion taken literally is stupid, but I think that atheism as a genre of humor is also stupid. It's one-dimensional

>LOK SKYFAIRY

You've heard one and you've heard them all.

Same with Christian humor.
>>
>>27342224
>People find reaction channels on youtube funny.

funny is a bit of a stretch, maybe sometimes, I guess it depends on the youtuber, overall they're just entertaining.

It's not the same thing as a joke.
>>
>>27342363
Go back and read your post. Count how many times you say "I" in it.

Then consider the fact that you are posting on 4chan asking other people for advice on how to make yourself a better person, all while knowing that it is just to tell yourself you tried and can now go back to not ACTUALLY trying to improve yourself.
>>
>>27342688
>counting I's
>asking for advice on how to be a better person is narcissistic
>I'm not actually trying every single day

wew lad try harder next time
>>
>>27342363
Also, consider your word choice. Blaming other people and not yourself for being a prick that no one wants to hang around. It's everyone's fault but yours. You are what is important, not anyone else. They are supporting actors in the movie of your life, it is only your opinions and plotline that matter,

"I hate how people", " I can't help it", "I can't stop myself", "Help me"

You don't really want to improve yourself, you don't really want to stop being an edgelord, you don't really want friends. You just want to convince yourself that you gave it a shot by asking 4chan for help.

You can help it, you can stop yourself. It takes real work on self-control, not asking 4chan.
>>
>>27342743
No where in your post (I'm assuming OP) do you give a seconds thought for how your edginess makes other people feel or react. It's all about how their response to your edginess makes other people feel. You are incapable of empathy, good luck
>>
>>27342836
It's all about how their response to your edginess makes YOU feel***
>>
>>27342688
>>27342776
This seems a little extreme. You can only tell so much from word choice, and you have no idea whether he really wants help or not. It's not like you really get much attention from 4chan seeing as it's all anonymous. If he had posted on Facebook with his real name I would think you had more of a valid point.
>>
>>27343028
Partner, being a narcissist isn't about looking for attention from other people. Was Narcissus looking for attention from other people when he died from staring at his own reflection in the pool?

Being a narcissist is about loving yourself to the point that others don't matter to you. And then blaming them for reacting negatively to your obvious self love. OP's wasn't asking "How can I stop being an edgelord", he was asking "Why don't people love me for my obviously superior opinions that run counter to mainstream thought". Otherwise known as being an arrogant prick.
>>
>>27343155
OK so you seem to know what you're talking about, so it seems kind of stupid to come in with a thirty second google search, but this article: https://www.psychologytoday.com/conditions/narcissistic-personality-disorder

does mention "a need for admiration"
>>
>>27343218
Most people think of narcissism simply as something along the lines of "Look at me everyone I'm the greatest, appreciate me". And I'm not saying that narcissists don't want that attention, every human wants that attention. I'm just stating that narcissism is about more than just wanting that attention from others. It's about loving yourself so much that you can't understand that those other people you want attention from are also capable of their own opinions that might run counter to yours. It's about not understanding that people who disagree with you still deserve your respect.
>>
>>27340814
Walk off the edge ?
>>
>>27343218
And foremost, it's about understanding that other people in this world are all "actors" in their own "movie" with their own "plotline".
>>
File: 5IyEO.jpg (299 KB, 1375x1589) Image search: [Google]
5IyEO.jpg
299 KB, 1375x1589
>>27341477
>http://gracepointwellness.org/116-anger-management/article/3396-anger-quiz
>Got 19 true
I don't know what I expected
>>
>>27341379
>it's not offensive to make a holocaust joke
have you ever spoken to another person
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.