[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I just move out. I'm afraid I'm going to be
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: homer simpson couch.jpg (138 KB, 1407x1077) Image search: [Google]
homer simpson couch.jpg
138 KB, 1407x1077
Should I just move out. I'm afraid I'm going to be broke and really regret it

>25
>live with parents
>have job pays $30k after taxes
>have about $20k saved up
>have a credit score that is 700+

What's stopping me? I might even be able to snag a job that pays more in a few months. Everytime I bring it up to my parents they just say "don't do it, you'll be broke."

God damn I hate this. Comfort of no bills vs freedom of living on your own, but having to pay bills.
>>
>>27340552
Where do you live? Are roommates an option? How are your spending habits? I think your parents are just saying that because they don't want you to leave them. It might come from a place of concern, but I think their insecurity is preventing them from supporting you from moving out.
>>
>>27340613

midwest, maybe have roommate options, not too bad I guess I splurge on computer stuff once in a while. I buy lunch everyday, pay for gas, have a credit card bill, netflix, amazon prime, hulu, gym membership
>>
>>27340743
I don't know much about the midwest or what part of the midwest you're from, but how expensive would rent be for you to move out? I think the general rule of thumb is 25% of your monthly income is what you should spend on rent at most.

Would it be more economical if you saved up for a down payment on a house instead?
>>
>>27340552
If you really want to live on your own, just save up enough money until you can buy a decent house outright. Living in an apartment with roommates is bullshit.
>>
I have two jobs and net about 2k/month. My rent/bills are around $900. Doesn't include food/gas/anything else. Around 5k in savings.

It's a little tight and I wish I didn't have to work 50-55 hours a week but it's nice not living with my mom anymore.
>>
>>27340909
What kind of jobs are you doing?
>>
>>27340834

maybe, but yeah if its 25% then that leaves me with like $600 month for rent, I guess that's not bad. That's like a studio or 1 bedroom depending on the area for me
>>
>>27340834
>25%
Where do you get that? Pretty much every middle class person I know uses majority of their income on rent and general living expenses like water and electricity.
>>
>>27340909
About the same situation here. As I got older and realized buying stuff would never make me happy it wasn't such a big deal to pay rent every month.

Getting a house might me smarter but I would have no pride in having one. Right now my cheap apartment is much better than being stuck with family members.
>>
>>27341190
Maybe those "middle class people" should move to a place that they can actually afford to live in. I live in a sort of expensive part of the USA so it's not always the case, but there are plenty of places where you can get an apartment for 700-800, and if you're spending $1400 out of your $1700 monthly pay on rent/bills, you're probably not actually middle class.

And, I dunno, if you Google "how much of your income should go to rent" pretty much everyone says 25-30%. I've heard the figure thrown around but I searched it up for accuracy reasons.
>>
>>27341231

Thats my thought process. What's the point of having money when I'm miserable living with my parents. Can't even jerk off proper. Dad barges in to tell me news of something.
>>
>>27340552
>They coloured Marge's hair green because they thought it was a tree
>>
>>27341298
I get that if you're saving for your own house or something but where does the 75% go to?
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.