[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is depression actually treatable
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6
File: nmv.jpg (24 KB, 722x349) Image search: [Google]
nmv.jpg
24 KB, 722x349
or is therapy/pills just memes?

27, no gf, no social skills whatsoever, don't even like being around normies, decent job (not wagecuck) but get absolutely zero happiness from my money. In fact I'm almost dead inside except for the special minutes of melancholy when I'm forced to see happy couples, seeing them being in some desirable state I could never have, or the n+1st girl I could never even talk to.
Today I kind of caught myself thinking of having to live yet another 30-40 years as being something extremely unpleasant.

I'm really sceptical and don't know what's there for a therapist to fix. It's not like they could magically turn the world into a better place or help me relearning 30 years of natural interaction with people, just like what came naturally for the normies who actually had friends back in school.
>>
It's definitely treatable in some people. Years of medication and therapy and most importantly busting my ass have helped me tremendously. I'm not entirely better, but I am miles and miles better than where I used to be.
>>
>>27334867
Well since you have the money, why not try out getting help from therapists? You don't have anything to lose anyway desu
>>
You have to know which one you have first.

> depression where you have everything you want yet feel shit
> "depression" where you feel shit because you are in shit

The latter is not depression, it is a legitimate feeling in reaction to your personal hell. Fix your shit and start living for yourself only.
>>
>>27334901
Money is not an issue, I'm in Europe and already loose 40% of my paycheck to get "free" healthcare...

No, but it's a huge hassle, you actually have to get the paperwork done to prove you are really depressed, I guess they measure that with an depressmometer, and I really don't see the point to work for getting a therapy I'm not even convinced in.
>>
It's treatable, but success varies by the individual and by how good the doctor is. Pills can change your personality and make you "unlearn" some of the consequences of bad interactions you've had in your life. But it can take years of experimenting with different meds.

I've tried several different meds. Celexa sticks out in my mind as a drug that erased any social anxiety I had, but my anxiety was never really that bad in the first place. It also made me gain a shitload of weight. People are skeptical of the claim that antidepressants can make you gain weight, but I really think they can. They don't alter your body's metabolism, but they alter shit in your brain. Celexa made me crave carbs like a mad person and it made it very difficult to resist that craving. So I ended up gaining 40 lbs (seriously) after 2 years of therapy.

My doctor listened to my concern, and most doctors take the whole obesity thing seriously. So he got me off of it and put me on something else. I lost the weight after a year, and I feel a bit better now but I experience different side effects.
>>
>>27334934
Gee, why haven't I though about just fixing my shit. Thanks Anon.
>>
>>27335109

If that is your case, then what have you tried?

You say you hate being around normies. What have you done to make it so you don't have to be around them?
>>
>>27334993
don't go to therapy op, I went and ended up spending 2 months in a fucking mental institution in which they fed me pills and other shit I didn't want. Meds wont cure anything and will cause more health problems
>>
>>27335174
The thing is being lonely is truly crushing as well, so you can't really make the pain go away, only change it.
>>
File: depression110.jpg (750 KB, 500x1515) Image search: [Google]
depression110.jpg
750 KB, 500x1515
>>27335192
That's actually one of my concerns, too. How could I trust somebody like that.
>>
File: 1429060083898.jpg (394 KB, 645x773) Image search: [Google]
1429060083898.jpg
394 KB, 645x773
>>27334867
It is, at least it was for me.
I was always a tough motherfucker but i was keeping everything inside.
Then i opened up to some dumb broad, fell for the relationship meme, and because of her i mellowed out and filled my head with disney bullshit.
Then obviously she left, and i suffered a good few years of depression coupled with a personality crisis.
Eventually i got on meds, clenched my fists, and made my best to survive while remembering how to not be a pussy. To be honest, now i'm a better person than i used to be so i don't even regret these wasted years. I'm a loser and a loner but i learned how to truly deal with shit on my own, how to love myself, and how to be happy by myself. It's magical.
I'm more happy than i ever was with anyone else.
>>
File: 1438194972518.jpg (65 KB, 646x720) Image search: [Google]
1438194972518.jpg
65 KB, 646x720
>>27335270
Also anons are right, avoid therapy. Only visit pill doctors. Even better if aside from antidepressants you get something that fucks you up positively, like benzos. Even if you get addicted, you can deal with that after you fight off depression.
>>
>>27335256
you shouldn't
They are not trustworthy people, their job demands a lack of empathy
if you are depressed you just have to accept that, because happiness is like a drug that you can never get enough and depression is the default state of mind
>>
>>27334867
Not even going to bother reading the other replies as i'm sure
>"Lel depression isn't real xD"
>"Just be happier =^D"
Is already here.

Been diagnosed with depression, as well as paranoia and schiz for around 18 years now.

Some medication helped some things, but made others worse. Sert 150 helped my Depression but made Paranoia worse. Welbutin helped all 3 but just made me feel sluggish and also made me vomit. The rest haven't been notable enough as positives or negatives. Yentreve made me genuinely want to kill myself for the few months I was on it. Stay away from SNRI's if you can.

Therapy I must admit is bit of a meme, but unfortunately I had to go to keep receiving my sleeping medication.

Therapists aren't going to tell you anything new, they are just there to listen to you, sometimes when you say something out loud it can clear the air or even make you realise what you've just said isn't that important.

Tldr; some pills work, some don't, don't expect the first 1-2-8 pills to do anything. Therapy can be nice, just glad i'm not American or i'd have to shill out of pocket for it all.
>>
It's all a meme. Therapy / psychology is just a rent a friend service at a premium. They spend the last thirty minutes wrapping up. So you get thirty minutes in, unstitched as fuck then before you get any perspective it's over. Then if you're working full time forget being able to see them when you're in the darkest place. The next available Monday is over a month away and you solve the problem yourself or it festers.
>>
>>27335386
My baseline for feel good drugs would be alcohol (0.3l x 5%vv), a beer is usually enough to make the bad feels become seriously numbed, the drawback is everything else like motor functions is as well, so I can barely function.
But the unwanted effects of your pills don't sound any better than that, desu.
>>
>>27334867
all you need is a hot gf famalam
>>
File: 1440912964122.png (65 KB, 203x272) Image search: [Google]
1440912964122.png
65 KB, 203x272
>>27335555
respect the numbers
>>
>>27335555
>>27335577
Whats happening here, tripe-dubs answering dubs-quads.
Quads don't lie, if I think back really hard, when I was likr 20 and had this 2-week-relationship with my chubby gf I was genuinely happy.
>>
File: 1438571771453.png (590 KB, 610x803) Image search: [Google]
1438571771453.png
590 KB, 610x803
>>27335577
>>27335555
checkd
originalblox comment
>>
>>27335623
inb4 not going to happen again, knew her from some very obscure internet forum which now has become a regular meat marketplace with enough chads to make women not even bother to answer you. Real life no chance as well, had this qt coworker who always ignored my suddently say "hi", was totally perplex and it took me like 5 seconds to mumble "hi" back, like a full sperglord retard.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.