[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I dont want to work, ever. Thats not how i want to live my life.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 7
File: into-the-wild.jpg (84 KB, 850x568) Image search: [Google]
into-the-wild.jpg
84 KB, 850x568
I dont want to work, ever. Thats not how i want to live my life. But taking from society and not giving anything in return is not what i want to do either.

How realistic is it to quit society completely and just take care of yourself? I want to pull a mccandless, but i want to succeed at it.
>>
File: 1451706499974.jpg (48 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1451706499974.jpg
48 KB, 640x480
>>27329888
>I want to pull a mccandless

As in going through all that bullshit, just to realize that you'd actually be happier with friends?

find a better hero
>>
>>27330175
What? I havent had friends in years and im much happier this way. Being lonely is the least of my worries.
>>
>>27329888
With that mentality you wont live very long. You'll end up in an unsustainable situation one way or another and an hero.
>>
>>27329888
Nice trips.

To be honest senpai, I've always wanted to do the same, but with a close companion or two. You could maybe join a commune. If not just live in a national park or something.
>>
>>27330228
Cool, great to have an experienced anon in this thread. Do you mind sharing your experience with us?

Or are you just assuming things?
>>
>>27330225
Then why in the fuck are you on /r9k/?
>>
>>27330246
If you really are a robot, you're probably also lazy. Make sure you know what you are getting into, this lifestyle isn't for the lazy.
>>
>>27330262
Yeah, I still have you mentality at 24. I wont be around for many more years due to the situation becoming more and more unstable.
>>
>>27330278
Youre not my friend. Youre just a red box with text in it.
>>
learn how to forage the area you want to inhabit, buy a rifle, i'd recommend something like the winchester survival rifle, if .22LR wasn't so weird right now, something like and cheap. a mosin would be okay if you're somewhere kinda dry. probably warp with a lot of moisture, could always waterproof it. figure out what grows in the area you want to inhabit, have a small garden. learn how to build a shelter/lean-to out of sticks and leaves, learn how to stay hidden. learn how to break into cabins and shit if you're in an area like the northeast. learn how to make traps for animals.

pretty much just learn how to survive and then go do it.
>>
>>27329888

This:
>I dont want to work, ever.

Conflicts with this:
>I want to pull a mccandless, but i want to succeed at it.
>>
>>27330447
i'm not OP, but I think you're confusing work with labor.
>>
>>27330476

>mfw the definition of labor is literally work
>>
>>27329888
Just do what lazy women do, and marry somebody rich.

Note that you may have to become a faggot first.
>>
>>27329888
or you could kill yourself
also if you dont get cremated you feed the worms, at least you are giving the world SOMETHING
>>
File: 1454370767680.jpg (90 KB, 398x360) Image search: [Google]
1454370767680.jpg
90 KB, 398x360
>>27330520
>implying work doesn't have a connotation of being an underling, while labor has the connotation of independence

at least try lil nigga
>>
>>27330414
If you're in the NE forget about it. There's no true wild left.
>>
I don't want to contribute or take from society, ever. I want to cut off this worlds culture, maybe start my own new world of thought.
>the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results
>societies fundamental structure is people doing the same things over and over again and expecting things to be different
>society is literally insanity
>>
>>27330543
I think you have it backwards.
>>
>>27330389
I get that and I'm sure we all feel the same. This board isn't exactly for the people who are satisfied with there life's though.
>>
>>27330414
i meant henry survival rifle, not winchester, my b. it folds up into the stock and weighs almost nothing and floats and shit
>>
>>27330549
Kek, confirmed for never going outside.
>>
>>27330559
that's not the definition of insanity

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/insanity
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insanity

and no, Einstein didnt say that either
>>
>>27330573
Yea im not satisfied with life at all. I just got out of school and its depressing to know what the rest of my life is going to look like if i continue with this rat race.
Thats why i want out.
>>
>>27330549
You wot? Ever been outside of Boston or any of the cities at all? Ever been to Maine? Holy shit senpai there are parts of that wilderness so deep the towns there still speak French, you're out of your mind if you think it's not "wild" anymore.
>>
>>27330597
Haha you probably think an area in Upstate NY is a pristine wilderness. Like the Adriondack or the northern stretches of the Appalachian trail. Well I hate to spoil your world view but it's intensely managed, and people know you're there no matter how hidden you think you are. These people grow up in the area and know it like the back of their hands. There's no faggot survival forum online that can teach you that.
>>
>>27330627
>>27330636

Haha you probably think areas like the Ariondack, northern stretches of the Appalachian trail or Acadia N.P. or aroostook county are a pristine wilderness. I hate to spoil it for you but it isn't. Those areas are intensely managed and people know where you are, no matter how hidden you think you are. People there have spent their lifes up there and know it like the back of their hands, not something you can learn on some faggot survival forum.
>>
>>27330670
Youre delusional. There are places in maine that havent been seen in decades.
>>
>>27330728
Yes they have, by many people you just think they haven't. Its a beautiful place so everyone goes there.
>>
>>27330636
A good rule of thumb is the more private ownership in the region, the less wild it is. The NE is very privatized and the forests have been fragmented severely.
>>
>>27329888

it's a fucking movie. don't base major life decisions off of it. no one would actually be dumb enough to do what the main character did.
>>
>>27331083
Its based on a real story dumbass
>>
it ain't hard being homeless just get food stamps, literally nothing to be afraid about so long as you look like shit noone wants to interact with you
>>
>>27329888
It depends on where you live and where you intend to live.

Generally speaking if you're born and raised domesticated you won't find life in the wild for any great length of time particularly fulfilling.

>I want to pull a mccandless, but i want to succeed at it.
He did succeed. He lived out the rest of his life in the wild. Life in the wild is always shorter.

I thought that movie was shit anyway. If you want a proper wilderness movie watch Dersu Uzala. It's a good fish out of water lesson to boot.
>>
>>27330745
Christopher knight (another hermit) survived for 27 years in the woods of maine without ever being seen. He got caught recently during a burglary but it proves that there are enough remote places where nobody will find you.

And this is maine, america. Imagine if you took a one way ticket to russia or mongolia.
>>
>>27331108

>reads wiki

WTFFFFF!???
>>
File: 7amv81m.jpg (87 KB, 400x527) Image search: [Google]
7amv81m.jpg
87 KB, 400x527
>>27331296

John Mayer moved to Montana. That's pretty interesting.
>>
>>27329888
Live the lowlife in a van.
>>
>>27331300
You thought it was fiction? They even said in the movie its based on a real story lol.

And this is just one out of many real stories of people quitting society.
And were not even talking about squatters and trainhoppers here.
>>
>>27331361
Cool Runnings was based on a true story too, but it was 99% made up
>>
>>27331393
Into the wild isnt 99% made up, which is what youre implying.
Im pretty sure what youre doing is a logical fallacy but i dont know which one.
>>
It's pretty straightforward to escape from society, I've done it and so have many others. Check this link out:

www.earlyretirementextreme.com

It's a step-by-step proven way to go about it. We shouldn't need to have this thread every week, it's all there.
>>
>>27331451

labeling things as logical fallacies are liberal arts cuckery. term was created by libfags who were butthurt about losing so many debates to logical points
>>
>>27329888
Looks like someone just got into freshman year of high school English. Congrats!
>>
>>27331590
>www.earlyretirementextreme.com

i feel like these people watched office space too many many times

>What would you do with a million bucks?
>Nothing
>Shit peter, you don't need a million bucks to do nothing. Take my cousin... he's broke - don't do shit.
>>
>>27331599
Found it. What you did here >>27331393 is composition/division. And >>27331599 is ad hominem.
>>
>>27331632

your SJW english professor must be so proud
>>
>>27331626
Still, it's a workable, proven way to escape.
>>
>>27331656
And youre still doing it. You know its wrong yet you keep doing it.
>>
I feel you OP. Some days I just want to pack a bag and go live in the wilderness with my dog. She's happy to follow me anywhere.

My fantasy is to buy and remodel a van. I'd insulate it and add solar power. Then buy land somewhere remote with good water access. I'll grow my own food and raise small livestock (rabbits, goats, chickens).
>>
Literally impossible. You can't survive off modern urbanized deforested land with reduced and protected game, you can't actually own a piece of soil to grow your own crop, society is spread everywhere, so get back to work, Mr. Shekelstein needs that report by friday.
>>
>>27331810
Then how do bears live? If bears can survive off fish so can we.
>>
>>27331858
1. they live in comfy reservations and aren't bothered by authorities to pay taxes
2. bears have bodies perfect for long term survival. They can hibernate and control their metabolism and body temperature and go for months without food. Humans will die in a fucking week
>>
>>27331915
Alright i guess alaskan off gridders just dont exist anymore.

You have been so brainwashed that you think you need modern society to survive. There are so many small communities that live outside of modern civilization, you have bo clue. And yes there are people that are living completely alone aswell.
>>
>>27329888
Think about this: McCandless was able to get into Harvard Law. He was a smart man, yet he couldn't handle the wild. You have to be a certain type of person to make it out there, and you're probably not one of them, Robot.
>>
I've decided long time ago that at 35 I just take off into whatever direction. I don't care if I'll be sick, poor, busy at work, have a gf, or somehow rich and popular. I don't care how much of an asshole it would make me to leave my aging parents (I'll try to save up as much money as possible for them beforehand, obviously), I fully realise that with my shitty health I'll be dead within several years, but at least I'll do something by myself and end it all on my terms.
>>
>>27332021
Thats an extremely stupid thing to say. Education in law does nothing for you in a survival situation. Education=/=intelligence

The aboriginals arent harvard graduates either and theyre still alive. Following a bushcraft course would do more than graduating some top university. Or even learning from experience and trial and error is better. Rednecks and farmers would do better in the wild than some snobby high class kid.

Fact of the matter is that chris mccandless was extremely underprepared and failed.
>>
>>27332021
He also had minimal knowledge of the Alaskan Wilderness in Denali, and ignored warnings from people hitched rides from in the Yukon. Chris should have stayed in the Southwest or in South Dakota until he was really ready to live like that. Alaska will show you no love.
>>
>>27331164
Well, he made it pretty clear towards the end he didn't want to die like that. He left a lot of SOS messages around and he was starving. I think his corpse was like 67 lbs. when he was discovered at the magic bus.
>>
>>27330543
'I work hard' and 'I labour hard* sounds the same. Labour sounds more archaic and try hard, though, like how a person who works too hard wants to justify his pride without directly doing so and therefore uses slightly too technical terms to describe his 'labour'.
Wtf is that underling connotation you speak of lol.
>>
I live on the Southwest coast of Florida. There are still people who live out in the Everglades. Not in the town, like in the actual swamplands.
>>
>>27332021
Harvard doesn't teach you how to gut a moose and smoke the meat. They don't teach you knots and how to set traps and snares. They don't teach you about edible plants.

Chris Mccandless had very minimal knowledge on how to survive alone, but it's definitely possible. Look at videos of ed stafford, he survived on a deserted island for 60 days with LITERALLY nothing. He spent most of the time building up a proper shelter but at the end he was done with that and actually started to thrive.
He also did this somewhere in east europe and was miserable for the first couple of days but then his snare caught a deer and he did really well at the end of his time there. He had a steady supply of food, water, shelter, fire, clothes from deerhide. Its not impossible but knowledge is key.
>>
>>27332086
Why 35? Why not now?
>>
>>27332434
Not every activity is "work" as we know it today. Ofcourse there are things you need to do to survive innawoods but you cant really call it work in the same way as working in a warehouse or something.
>>
>be slave to nature
>live a short, brutish life
>freeze your ass off in the winter
>eat only what you can find and catch
>etc

>be a slave to capitalism
>live a quiet life to yourself in a real house, equally in solitude
>gain the comforts of civilization
>work is much easier, if you don't even get neetbux

Why choose the former?
It's a cool fantasy but the most /mccandless/ I would ever go is being a hobo. I'm not willing to revert my comforts to their natural state. You have nothing to gain by being a hermit but your supposed pride, and let's be real, this is /r9k/
>>
File: image.jpg (118 KB, 500x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
118 KB, 500x640
/r/offgrid or offthegrid or some shit. I know Reddit is an shit breeding pool but diy shit that the SJWs don't care about arent aweful for things like this. You can find instructions on how to make green houses, water wells, even sources of electricity. Most of it requires material that isn't free but living off the grid is possible and it's possible to do it comfortably. It's not the no-work solution you want, I know, but it is a self sustaining lifestyle that would allow you to be outside society after only a few years of working in it for building material. you could live off crops and things like chickens that you grow and raise. Most people who aren't idiots who live off the grid live as comfortably as anyone who lives in it. And sadly this thread has gone to shit and I know the retards who are already posting in your thread are going to foam at the mouth at the mention of reddit so I won't be coming back for replies. I believe in you OP. Live out all our dreams
>pic related is efficient way to grow food
Remember, we're not cave men and you don't have to live like one. We have the Internet and some clever ways to live.
>>
>>27329888
You'll be death within a month.
>>
why do you feel like taking from society is wrong?
the world is a horrible place and any moral that you have is not going to help you. Just leech off of other people's work
>>
>>27335059
I like the sound of that!
>>
>>27335026
Better yet, /r/vagabond. That sub has actual hobos.
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.