[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>"Being good socially is a skill like any other. You
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: 1456945385665.jpg (20 KB, 306x306) Image search: [Google]
1456945385665.jpg
20 KB, 306x306
>"Being good socially is a skill like any other. You just have to learn and practice!"
>ask them a question like when do I talk, or how do I know if they're getting upset
>"lol man you just have to feel it."

Why do normies always have to be so vague with these things?

See, this is why video games are much easier and more preferable than being social. There are specific rules and techniques you learn.
>>
File: 1.jpg (19 KB, 300x252) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
19 KB, 300x252
>>27329490
Well,you have to feel it,it's spontaneous and it doesn't follow any rules.
>>
But it's true.
At first, just try to observe people conversing. Then adapt to the conversation while interjecting your own personality and trying to mesh with theirs.

Most of the times, they won't blend, but other times, they will match perfectly. This way, you can adopt some of there traits while they take on yours.

If they don't mesh, just try to be nice and slowly weed yourself out.
>>
>>27329515

If it doesn't follow any rules, then certainly I can just genuinely be myself and make friends, but that doesn't work at all.
>>
They are correct that social skills are skills you learn.

I'm a diagnosed autist and had to learn all the shit by rote, but I'm a very functional, sociable adult now.

To answer questions like "when do I talk" or "how do I tell if they are upset?" there needs to be more context and information. Every single person and situation is different, and you will learn these things by observing them carefully and remembering your observations. You can try speaking when you think it is appropriate, and if you end up being wrong you can apologize politely. You can also ask people questions such as, "Are you upset? I'm sorry I can't read your emotions very well."
>>
>>27329490
It also implies that you have people to practice with, who'll tolerate you while you awkwardly try your best to hold a conversation
>>
You need to learn it as a kid. Normies had parents introduce other kids to them. Like play dates. Or they where around kids.

A robot never got to develop social skills.
>>
>>27329558
I was a NEET for 25 years.
After I got my first retail job, I was pretty much forced to be social.

I'm not a social butterfly, but your pretty much forced to learn some social skills or pretty much stick to your hikki ways.
>>
>>27329545
>I'm sorry I can't read your emotions very well."

Are you allowed to just tell them ahead of time about your condition? Can you just start off the conversation with, "I can't read emotions very well and have trouble adapting to social rules. Please be patient and understanding with me"? Would that make it easier for me?
>>
File: 1440708751757.png (317 KB, 453x604) Image search: [Google]
1440708751757.png
317 KB, 453x604
>>27329490

Social skills are all about trial and error.
Normies have just done their field testing long time ago and now they are way ahead of you.
Normies dropped their spaghetties when they were kids, that is the normal time for people to do that because people are not so judgemental on children.
Now you just have to catch up. Go out there and socialize. It is the only way. Start doing social activies of your preference.
>>
>>27329586
It depends on where you are and who you are talking to. If you are speaking with a professor or doctor or librarian or anyone who is there to help you out, that is totally reasonable.

Usually, I don't acknowledge my faults until I have made an error. If I interrupt someone I say, "I'm so sorry, I misread you, please continue." And they will understand. If I'm not sure how someone is feeling, I ask them. "Are you okay?" or "Did I say something wrong?" And if I did I apologize profusely and ask them to be patient with me.

I find that the more I express my emotions verbally, the more other people will mirror me and do the same.
>>
Im a typical corporate guy who is very outgoing and professionally pretty successful but in personal life is a reclusive introverted shut in with limited ability to emotionally connect to people who derives no pleasure from interacting with most people. You don't have to "feel it" so much as recognize body language. People like to be asked about themselves, they like people who smile a little and nod while listening, they like people who can make idle chatter about the weather, doing anything good this weekend, etc. One of my favorite conversation starters is to mention that I haven't been out to eat in a while, anywhere around here you'd recommend? People like to talk about themselves in a way that doesn't involve controversy or anything particularly consequential. You'd be shocked how easily people open up talking about food. Socializing is a craft, and to paraphrase the Thomas Edison "I found 10000 ways how not to make a light bulb," you're going to find 10,000 ways how not to make seamless pleasant banter, but if you keep at it without getting discouraged or pissed and remember speech craft is a skill like any other in life you will steadily get better at it. Let me know it you have any specific question.
>>
If you cant read emotions or social cues you are autistic and should kill yourself
>>
>>27329490
They say those things because they're true homie. In my personal life I'm basically a turbo autist, I watch anime and play video games and read history books for fun but I'm good looking so I got saved from eternal solitude. Even though I've been with a fuck ton of girls I still feel like an outsider socially whenever I go out, I literally have to go against my nature in order to do well with women. It is something you can learn, you do kinda have to "feel it out".
>>
>>27329490
It is a skill. You observe, learn and practice.

Why is there always an excuse with you people any time anything requires a little effort?
>>
>>27329529
Depends. Maybe who you are totally sucks.
>>
>>27329852
When are you supposed to talk, and what are you supposed to say?
>>
>>27329875
Whatever. You don't plan out conversations. That's creepy.
>>
>>27329987
So in other words, you just have to feel it?
>>
>>27329529
>>27329529
The basics are

>wait until people are done talking
>say something relevant to discussion

Takes some practice but that's it
>>
>>27330004
No. Conversations have words that mean stuff. It's not feeling.
>>
>>27330082
Then hw are you supposed to know what to say? You normies are capabale of generating a never-ending spew of words, how do you do it?
>>
>>27329875

If you don't know what to say, don't say anything opinionated or try and make a joke. Delivery is 90% of a joke as well as timing.

Instead of talking, get used to listening. Ask questions and pay attention to what someone is saying. Listen to normies and consider the sorts of topics and how they're flowing in conversation.

Develop opinions and views of various normal shit. Broaden your horizons and learn how sports work, about or watch various usual TV shows. Get anecdotes or stories that might seem interesting.

But beyond anything. If you have a hyper autistic interest in ANYTHING er on the side of not discussing it. Nobody is going to be a fraction as interested in it as you and they will find it weird if you ramble long past the point of them politely listening.

TLDR being social is about politely listening to other people talk about their interests and suppressing your autism powerlevel.
>>
>>27329490
>this is why video games are much easier and more preferable than being social
duh no shit man, if being social was easy i would be drowning in slut pussy now.
I am a 22 yr old fat kv NEET addicted to monster hunter
>>
>>27330177
So I need to change my personality, cultivate interests in things I hate, and just listen to you talk about your boring normie life? Fuck that.
>>
>>27329490
have you ever treated conversations or socializing as small mini games instead of listening to normies ?

there are a lot of different techniques and tricks to learn in order to get a result you want from the conversation.

And yes, it takes practice but so does videogames.
>>
>>27329490
watch conversational shows like talkshows/interviews that should help with basic things like conversation flow
>>
>>27330221
Can you give some examples?
>>
>>27330221
tfw social anxiety
your subconscious goes
"if I lose this minigame I'LL DIE"
>>
>>27329490
What you are feeling is called asperger's syndrome. Sorry OP but you're an aspie.
>>
Its the truth, you're antisocial and lonely because you're a lazy piece of shit. It's for the best that your awful genes wont get passed on.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.