[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You're doing just fine, robot. Why smart people are be
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: brain.jpg (27 KB, 540x304) Image search: [Google]
brain.jpg
27 KB, 540x304
You're doing just fine, robot.

Why smart people are better off with fewer friends
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/03/18/why-smart-people-are-better-off-with-fewer-friends/

>First, they find that people who live in more densely populated areas tend to report less satisfaction with their life overall.
>Second, they find that the more social interactions with close friends a person has, the greater their self-reported happiness.
>But there was one big exception. For more intelligent people, these correlations were diminished or even reversed.
>And "more intelligent individuals were actually less satisfied with life if they socialized with their friends more frequently."
>When smart people spend more time with their friends, it makes them less happy.
>those with more intelligence and the capacity to use it ... are less likely to spend so much time socializing because they are focused on some other longer term objective
>Kanazawa himself is no stranger to controversy. In 2011 he wrote a blog post for Psychology Today entitled "Why Are Black Women Less Physically Attractive Than Other Women?" The post ignited a firestorm of criticism and was swiftly taken down.
>>
>Why smarter people ...
>smarter

Stopped right there
What makes you think anyone here is smart.
>>
>>27315627
>What makes you think anyone here is smart.

http://healthland.time.com/2012/07/10/what-child-prodigies-and-autistic-people-have-in-common/
>>
>>27315775
Out of all of the people that browse r9k, how many do you think are actually autistic?
>>
>He says: 'The only thing I can think of that might potentially explain the lower average level of physical attractiveness among black women is testosterone.

>'Africans on average have higher levels of testosterone than other races...women with higher levels of testosterone have more masculine features and are therefore less physically attractive.'

>In 2006 he published a paper suggesting the poor health of some sub-Saharan Africans is the result of low IQ, not poverty.
>>
>>27315900

I don't know. r9k has been flooded with normies.

But I'm betting that r9k is the board with the highest average IQ (except for maybe /g/ or /sci/).
>>
>>27315966
You have an optimistic view on people that fail in life
You are probably a good person irl
>>
File: images (1).jpg (8 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
8 KB, 259x194
>>27315966
>I'm betting that /r9k/ is the board with the highest average iq
>>
>be told i'm smart my whole life, internalize it
>targeted in school by the talented and gifted programs
>I guess this is my identity, I'm the smart kid
>grow up
>realize it's the furthest thing from the truth
>who am I?
>>
>>27316033

They fail socially, which to me indicates higher intelligence.
>>
>>27316066

9 Reasons Why Many Smart People Go Nowhere
http://www.rajeshsetty.com/2010/03/29/9-reasons-why-many-smart-people-go-nowhere/
>1. They are not lucky (enough):
>2. Life is (quite) different outside the sandbox:
>3. Their risk appetite may be low:
>4. Their past success may become a baggage:
>5. Ego -> Entitlement:
>6. Not acting when there is a need to act:
>7. Not knowing they need help:
>8. Not getting "good help" when required:
>9. Their relationship with failure:
>>
>>27316093
In my mind social skills require intelligence. It takes a lot of thinking to deduce what is and is not appropriate.
It takes a lot of skill and intelligence to become socially skillful and charismatic too
>>
>Scientists: "It's not that we're socially awkward! We're just too intelligent! Here's a study to prove it!"
Seems legit
>>
>>27316164

No, dumb jocks get along fine socially, as do ditzy blondes. No intelligence needed.

Maybe social skills require emotional intelligence, which people with high intelligence may be lacking:
http://psychology.wikia.com/wiki/Correlation_between_intelligence_and_social_deficiency

Autism Genes Linked To Higher Intelligence
http://www.medicaldaily.com/autism-genes-linked-higher-intelligence-treading-fine-line-between-intellectual-325798
>Nearly half of children (46 percent) who have been diagnosed with ASD have an above average intellectual ability, however, it differs from person-to-person.

>"Links between autism and better cognitive function have been suspected and are widely implied by the well-known 'Silicon Valley syndrome' and films such as 'Rain Man' as well as in popular literature," said the study's co-author Nick Martin, a professor from Queensland Institute for Medical Research, in a press release. "This study suggests genes for autism may actually confer, on average, a small intellectual advantage in those who carry them, provided they are not affected by autism."
>>
>>27316310
lmao

>nearly half of children with ASD have above-average intelligence

Do you realize how retarded this sounds? Half of the normal population is above average intelligence.
>>
Ha, I'm stupid AND have no friends
>>
Some people say I'm above average intelligence, some people call me an idiot.
I gave up listening to either and assume I'm of average intelligence.
>>
>>27315966
>But I'm betting that r9k is the board with the highest average IQ
Hahahaha
>>
>>27316327

You've never heard of autistic savants?

>"Autistic savant" refers to individuals with autism who have extraordinary skills not exhibited by most persons. Historically, individuals with these exceptional skills were called 'idiot savants,' a French term meaning unlearned (idiot) skill (savant).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savant_syndrome
>Savant syndrome is a condition in which a person with a mental disability, such as an autism spectrum disorder, demonstrates profound and prodigious capacities or abilities far in excess of what would be considered normal.
>>
>>27316397
Of course I have, it's just a really stupid thing to say that 46% are above average intelligent when that number is going to be about the same for the normal population. In other words, given that a person is autistic, they are no more likely to be intelligent.
>>
>>27316438

https://iancommunity.org/ssc/measuring-iq-autism
>in autism, researchers have found that adaptive skills may lag behind IQ, sometimes far behind.

>Problems with daily living skills "may be especially prominent in those with higher cognitive abilities" and autism, according to a study by Dr. Duncan and others.

>That disconnect between IQ and adaptive skills may be frustrating for some with ASD. Other people may not understand why someone with his or her "book smarts" struggles with seemingly easier skills, such as personal hygiene, asking for help, or getting places on time.

>From 1966 to 1998, studies found that about only one-fifth of the people with ASD functioned in the "normal range" of intelligence, according to a 1999 review.14

>What explains the collective increase in IQ scores among people with autism?
>>
define 'intelligent'

i pick up skills quickly, but have a short attention span and find it hard to focus on a task for extended periods of time unless they greatly interest me, in which case i can work on them for hours, disregarding food and sleep
i find studying something outright difficult, but learning it by way of practice fairly easy
i was always shit at classes that relied on memorization like history or literature courses, but barely had to try in classes that involved learning a skill rather than facts, like math, writing, or programming
>>
note that OP says "fewer friends" not "zero friends".
>>
>>27316160
This could apply to anyone.

These articles talking about "smart people" always come with a tinge of patting-myself-on-the-back-for-being-a-loser-beta-faggot.
>>
>>27316908

Nobody expects anything of stupid people.

When people who have been told are "smart" all their life fail, they take it much harder.

That's why they've advised teachers to tell students "you're such a hard worker" rather than "you're so smart."
>>
>Smart people are better off with fewer friends
How does that help me when I'm an idiot?
>>
>>27317085
Stupid people expect stuff from smart people. As evidenced from the age old

>If you're so smart why aren't you rich hurr hurr
>>
>>27317085
>That's why they've advised teachers to tell students "you're such a hard worker"
I got through school with little effort and never learned to work hard. Now I'm struggling with actual work.
>>
File: 1438215254594.jpg (21 KB, 406x441) Image search: [Google]
1438215254594.jpg
21 KB, 406x441
>>27315966
> I'm betting that r9k is the board with the highest average IQ
o i am laffin
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.