[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Calhoun introduced eight rats, four of each sex, into "Universe
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5
File: rat.jpg (21 KB, 190x126) Image search: [Google]
rat.jpg
21 KB, 190x126
Calhoun introduced eight rats, four of each sex, into "Universe 1" a pen with constant access to food and water, no predators, no danger, and no want. The rats became acclimatized to the new environment, and after a while their population doubled every 55 days. After 315 days (almost a year) from when the eight rats had been introduced the population stood at 620 and Universe 1 began to get overcrowded.

Suddenly, the population growth began to drop off, and what the study describes next will sound eerily familiar to the denizens of the modern West.

"Many [female rats] were unable to carry pregnancy to full term or to survive delivery of their litters if they did. An even greater number, after successfully giving birth, fell short in their maternal functions. Among the males the behavior disturbances ranged from sexual deviation to cannibalism and from frenetic overactivity to a pathological withdrawal from which individuals would emerge to eat, drink and move about only when other members of the community were asleep. The social organization of the animals showed equal disruption. [...](1)"

The female rats became increasingly aggressive, and would increasingly fail to properly take care of their offspring, that is, if they had offspring. Some of the male rats would become hyper-aggressive and get all the females to themselves, whereas others would become incredibly anti-social. The rats separated into different groups, all with sex imbalances. One group had one male rat and seven females , and others had an imbalance in the other direction. The rats were experiencing what Calhoun would call a "behavioral sink"; essentially the end of pro-social behavior and the beginning of the end of society.

The last healthy birth came on day 600, after which there were no new births. The rats died out.
>>
This is creepily relevant.
>>
whoa

original comment
>>
We're these results ever reproduced by other scientists?
>>
>>27312759
this is hella scary and ominous.
>>
>>27312759
poor little mousers :^[
>>
>he didn't link the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z760XNy4VM
>>
>>27312759
sleep tite mouser
>>
Rats and mice eat their offspring all the time you stupid fuckers
>>
Good thing we're not rats and that doesn't reflect what is happening today. Calhoun just attempted to fit Western society into his description so he didn't feel like he wasted his life watching rats in a caged environment completely unlike Human society.
>>
>>27313882
>implying humanity as a whole isn't caged on our planet
>>
File: 1457461824554.png (17 KB, 633x772) Image search: [Google]
1457461824554.png
17 KB, 633x772
>>27312759
>spend years of your life watching caged rats fuck
>one day bossman asks for results or no more funding
>if they find out about your rat fetish life is over
>need to come up with something quick
>"we need to call the president, bossman"
>>
>>27313964

"Caged" means being restricted within a space that does not suit your needs.

Earth has more than enough space and resources to fit human needs.
>>
>>27314085
Alternative version:
>spend years of your life watching caged rats fuck
>nothing exciting happens
>one day bossman asks for results or no more funding
>at night, randomly and violently lash out at some rats with a stick
>the whole colony becomes mentally deranged and stressed, chaos ensues
>"you see this, bossman? this will happen to us"
>"outstanding findings calhoun you can into relevancy"
>>
>>27314104
>Earth has more than enough space
Not when that space is already "owned" by other people
>>
>>27314900

Most space is public, so you can go out and see the world. Most resources you *need* (not want) are easy to obtain. But this contridicts Calhoun's experiment even further, because the rats have everything they could possibly want at their disposal, humans don't and never will. So there's always pressure. That's not a utopia like the rats had.
>>
>>27314900
Guess it will start in China since they've cleared reached the equilibrium phase

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9g-Mgogiok
>>
File: 2393489343443.jpg (99 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
2393489343443.jpg
99 KB, 800x800
do i hear the resident normies getting triggered by the idea of their beloved society exposed as decadent?
>>
>>27312759
>One group had one female rat had dozen of male rats

Elizafags BTFO
B
T
F
O
>>
>>27315119

No, you hear the resident rational people saying that it doesn't indicate anything about human behaviour.

>decadent

lol, having things is bad! YOU'RE ALL GONNA DIE BECAUSE YOU'RE LIFE ISN'T SHIT!!!!

Go and live like a viking and see how "great" a "natural" life is.
>>
>>27315166
She was probably being held captive and gangraped

#betauprising
>>
>a pathological withdrawal from which individuals would emerge to eat, drink and move about only when other members of the community were asleep
>mfw
>>
>>27313882
>and that doesn't reflect what is happening today

No it's even worse what's happening in western societies. The worse forms of degeneracy are spread rapidly. Those rats weren't making terms up like cis, gender queer and all that other nonsense. Those rats weren't race mixing. US is fast approaching Brazil tier only it will be worst. I hope this doesn't come to this but it may.
>>
>>27315166
>Elizafags BTFO

What? Someone want to explain what he is talking about?
>>
>>27314202
>>27314085

why are you guys getting triggered over some guy researching rats?
>>
>>27315890
>trying to post greentext stories on a board originally meant for greentexts instead of making endless normie shit-tier fembot threads
>"triggered"
>>
File: 99e.png (59 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
99e.png
59 KB, 250x250
>>27312759
>Among the males the behavior disturbances ranged from sexual deviation to cannibalism and from frenetic overactivity to a pathological withdrawal from which individuals would emerge to eat, drink and move about only when other members of the community were asleep.

S-stop this isn't funny any more
>>
>>27314104
>>27314104
So did the environment of this experiment. The environment could house 3000 and they were being fed luxuriously but they began dying off at 2000. So we're equally as caged as those nice were.
>>
anti-social is different from asocial. I doubt any of the rats were in a corner someplace watching japanese animays
>>
>>27316709
>pathological withdrawal from which individuals would emerge to eat, drink and move about only when other members of the community were asleep.

Can you read? Maybe if the had animays they wouldn't go insane and eat eachother
>>
>>27312759
>The rats died out.

This gives me a feeling of hope. The thought that I am alive at the beginning of the decline of the human race makes me happy. The idea that once I die, mankind will not survive for very long after me (relatively speaking). I like the thought of the human race dying out, and all remnants of our civilisation being eroded by time, until one day there is nothing left to prove we were ever here. Then, this great mistake that was my existence won't matter at all.
>>
>>27315224

Just like the experiment, huh?
>>
And humans still insist on thinking they're any different from any other animal.
>>
>>27318507

>Le end of the world maymay

You're dreamin bud.
>>
>>27318507
My only wish is that I'm around to watch it all burn
>>
>>27318608
The thought that all of these people I see everywhere will be dead one day is all that keeps me from succumbing to despair.
>>
>>27318507
2edgy4me tee bee aych
>>
>>27318633
people like you are why i feel the way i do you fucking cunt
>>
>>27318632

No wonder your grasp on life is so tenuous.

You've already given in. But.

I'm not arbiter, nor will judgment day come anytime soon. Not for me.

Not for you.

It's time to put your stock in something else, son.
>>
>>27318708

*I'm not your arbiter
>>
>>27318708
>anytime soon

Depends on your definition really. Only self-important idiots think 100 years is a long time
>>
>>27318778

And only fools think they can predict the future.
>>
>>27318661
oh em gee dats s0 kewt.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.