[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I learn to write code?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4
File: coffee.jpg (46 KB, 500x338) Image search: [Google]
coffee.jpg
46 KB, 500x338
How do I learn to write code?
>>
>>27312118
codeacademy.com
Any other anons feel free to step in and give a better beginners resource
>>
>>27312183
Vouching for this. Helped me at least get started with Python. I'd imagine it's the same for the other languages.
>>
What is code
Honest to god question, I have no idea how any of this shit works
>>
>>27313408
I guess a simple answer would be, making user of given resources on a given platform for a specific purpose. I.e. powersshell provides you with commands that control windows operating system.
>>
Read some books, watch some videos, look at forums, take a course at a local community college. Immerse yourself.

I recommend Head First Java or Java: A Beginner's Guide, or Learn Python the Hard Way if you're specifically wanting to just pick up a language
>>
>>27313408
instructions which tell the computer how to do things
>>
File: 1449446364203.jpg (263 KB, 1041x1024) Image search: [Google]
1449446364203.jpg
263 KB, 1041x1024
Is python worth learning? I hear alot of people shit talk on Java and it makes me want to stay away from it.
>>
>>27312118
I'd give you 32GB+ worth of programming shit but I'm not home to seed it.
>>
>>27313681
The specifics of the language don't really matter that much when you're just starting out. People talk shit about everything. I'm pretty sure MIT uses Python in its undergrad courses.
>>
File: dxUuH1.png (1 MB, 2000x2210) Image search: [Google]
dxUuH1.png
1 MB, 2000x2210
>>27313408
What do you want to program, op?
Why do you want to learn code?
>>
>>27313742

I thought python was the best one you can learn? If it isn't then what is?
>>
>>27313681
I don't do anything in programming in industry, so take my experience with a grain of salt.

That said, learning Java will help you to think and program within an object-oriented programming language. After you get the hang of that, picking up other object-oriented programmings languages shouldn't be too difficult. i.e. pick one and get good at it, understand how it works, then you should be able to pick up similar languages as needed.
>>
>>27313408
It's a set of concise instructions that a machine can follow.
>>
>>27313753
Any of the big, modern languages will probably be fine to start out with. There is no objectively best-for-everything language, they're all built differently and accomplish things in different ways.
>>
>>27312183
>>27312118
Codeacademy is good. But I feel as if the Python course teaches things back to front, especially for someone trying to get into programming for the first time and is looking for reasons to carry on learning. I'd recommend free pdf books personally such as Java the complete reference.

>>27313681
The people talking shit on Java are faggots who regurgitate what's cool. Java is the official language for Android apps, is one of the most widely used languages in the world and is easier enough for a complete beginner to get into (Although it is a little confusing and ugly until you get to classes - which isn't that long).

Although that being said. Once you understand one type of language (example: object oriented) learning every other language that is the same type should be a breeze, so it really doesn't matter what language you start with.

Learn Python than Java. Both are really useful anyway.
>>
File: 1380770147778.gif (23 KB, 223x246) Image search: [Google]
1380770147778.gif
23 KB, 223x246
how the flying FUCK do people that learn coding through codeacademy get jobs

I don't mean to sound like a snob or elitist but I have degrees, projects, etc. and I can't find shit
>>
>>27313408
step 0: know how your computer actually works. perhaps build 1 or 2 yourself.
>>
>>27313746

This graphic was cute but there's a whole lot of wat.jpg here.

Why is C++ rated higher than C in difficulty when it's basically C with objects and a much, much more massive library? Where are they getting these wage averages from (100 grand for a Ruby developer? Come on).
>>
>>27313681
The reasons why people don't like java have more to do with inheritance trees, long syntax, and memory management. None of which should be of any concern to you right
>>27312118
Buy a good book like thinking in java once you've gotten a bit familiar using basic videos. Then find a project to work on.
>>27313854
No internships?
>>
>>27313968
one internship
>>
>>27313992
Where do you live. Maybe you just haven't applied to enough places? Also if you have any connections use them for a simple hospital dev position or something.
>>
>>27313854

>degrees, projects

So zero work experience? I wouldn't hire you either desu.
>>
I saw a ted talk the other day about drones, and it got me really interested in maybe programming little ones to fly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCXGpEmFbOw

Skip to 8:02 for the part I'm talking about.

What do I need to learn to be able to make them do that?

I looked up some books, but they all seem to be about picking the right one for you and flying them with controllers.
>>
>>27313968
Personally I dislike Java because of its verbosity, lack of first-class functions, lack of functionality in the standard library, and very few functional elements, although several of my peeves have been addressed in Java 8.
I've been getting into Ruby lately, which I love dearly even though it's kind of a meme language. I'd like to learn Kotlin, which compiles down to Java byte code but has a huge amount of functional stuff and syntactical sugar, and even interops seamlessly with Java.
>>
Are there people here who at one point just said "fuck it, I'm gonna learn to code" later on in life and didn't just start at like 15 years old or whatever age everyone already seems to be making websites and apps etc.
>>
>Southern California

>Somewhere heavily forested.
>>
>>27312118
write code

its recursive and not that difficult once started
>>
Use CodeAcademy or similar place to learn a language. Python and Java are good beginner languages. Programming is largely about the mindset and understanding how things flow in a computer and how to manipulate that flow. Once you get that down with one language, most other languages will come pretty easy with a few differences.

What you want to do also determines what's the best path for you. Make vidya? Try GameMaker, C++, or Java. Internet's? PHP, JavaScript, SQL. Interfacing software with hardware (think Arduino or Raspberry Pi)? C or Python.
>>
"Starting out with..." e.g. "starting out with python" is a good series and you can find them free.

Really you just need a textbook and then you can learn it yourself by googling things and reading forums and manuals from there.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.