[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is depression permanent?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 171
Thread images: 12
File: 1391904991844.png (1 MB, 680x451) Image search: [Google]
1391904991844.png
1 MB, 680x451
Is depression permanent?
>>
>>27284811
Pretty much..

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but people like you and I will always find something to be sad about. Even if we kept fixing the problems that were troubling us.
>>
>>27284811
No, It ends when you kill yourself
>>
No. You can break out of depression if you look at everything that makes you depressed and try to work on fixing it or working through it.

The problem is that's really hard to do when you're actually in the middle of it but it's possible.
>>
>>27284908
Have you ever been seriously depressed? Just to know
>>
Just dont be depressed, bro its easy
>>
>>27284811
Yes, how old are you nigga
>>
It depends.

If you have a depressive episode, that'll go away in months at most on its own.

If you have dysthymia/chronic depression it will never go away.
>>
File: 1458490207233.jpg (154 KB, 800x1600) Image search: [Google]
1458490207233.jpg
154 KB, 800x1600
>permanent

Not with one of these. Sometimes all it takes is adding the right amount of the right chemicals to your body.

DXM is a lifesaver if you use it right (no more than once a week).
>>
Yes. Every man has a base temperament that is impossible to change. Some are prone to sadness, others anger. Although you may experience other emotions, your base temperament remains the same.

Now that you know, you can master yourself. Control your life, don't let it control you
>>
>>27284811
yes man, 3 years of depression and not finished yet, it only increases
like Vincent Van Gogh said before dying : "the sadness will last forever"
>>
If you have an actual depressive disorder and not just a depressive spell then no, it never goes away. You can't cure it, you can only figure out how to manage it.
>>
>>27284991
>Yes, how old are you nigga

>>
No bro you'll get over her you just need to go sleep around a bit plenty more fish in the sea bro

i think it is permanent idk
>>
>>27284811
Mostly, yes. I do believe you can work on it and try force yourself out of it, though, but that is really fucking hard and most truly depressed people would never be able to go through with it.
>>
>>27285056
you will die with your depression man
>>
I'm tired of people that write about depression like people are characters in novels, and simply need to transition through some kind of personal growth arc to feel better. You may simply have less dopamine receptors than the average person.
>>
>>27284908

>You can break out of depression if you look at everything that makes you depressed

What if there's nothing that's giving you the chronic sadness? As in you have no reason for it, yet you're still experiencing it.
>>
>>27284908
Sure, let me just fix the meaning of fucking life.
>>
>>27285618

If the meaning of life is making you "depressed" then you're most likely an edgy, 16 year old.
>>
>>27285667
If only >tfw no gf is making you "depressed" you should get the fuck out.
>>
On a long enough timescale, nothing is permanent.

More seriously though, no. Or maybe, it depends. What did it for me was completely changing my surroundings and finding a rewarding day-to-day task (ie moved for work to another continent) and plenty of drugs - especially that ket/MDMA/LSD, all first times three days in a row experience made me realize that some sort of happiness is physically achievable... Plus resulted in a much more stable and mellow baseline on the other end.

Coming to /r9k/ is definitely counterproductive if you seriously want it to stop though. I've seen the first post on this board, I've seen it go from happy experimentation to long-winded self-posts to /soc/ style place to just a pit of depression and now I only come every few months to check up on you guys... I remember it feeling like a good crutch, and sort of my only/best friends in those days when I used to spend NYEs and such here, but in reality every social circle that reinforces the depressed thought patterns is doing you more harm than good.

Well, end of rant. Good luck robot.
>>
Nah nigga you gotta start taking supplements or do drugs to help you get out of it. Or grow some strong STRONG willpower.

I'm dealing with this shit right now but I got you.

Look up NSI-189 and see if you have any vitamin/mineral deficiencies. I'm taking Vitamin D as well with B12 and Folate and Aniracetam. It's helping but it's definitely not making me consistently 100% happy. Last night I wanted to kill myself but now I'm good.
>>
No. But it takes a long fucking time of ups and downs to progressively go up slightly.

Exercise
Introspection
Nutrition
Sleep
Friends
>>
>>27284811
Yes, but not really.

It's like being an ex-smoker or ex-alcoholic.

You can lift and paint and cook and run and jog and learn to speak French and get a new career and make new friends and travel to Spain together, but subconsciously in the back of your mind there's sometimes going to be a little echo of "hey, what if none of this matter? How about we lay on the couch and ignore everything else for a few years again?" that pops up every now and then. It's up to you to be strong enough to keep that shit in the garbage of your mind.
>>
>>27285707

>Coming to /r9k/ is definitely counterproductive

How does browsing a website hurt?
>>
>>27286249
It's not the website, with its HTML code and whatnot, it's the content.

This is like if an obese person was trying to lose weight, but his favorite website was a forum dedicated to cake recipes & discussion and he hung out there all day long talking about which types of cake have the best textures and flavours and icing and filling etc.

r9k is a never-ending pity-party and negative shithole about how the [insert boogeyman here] are going to ruin the world.

For the most part, it has some funny moments here and there, but generally the only way that people feel better here is by comparison to people whose lives are worse off.
>>
>>27285017
Dude I see you posting this shit ALL the time haha. It must really work.
>>
>>27286647

Venting and posting about your problems can't hurt that much. I also doubt that those people prefer being here over doing something with their lives. Most of them are here because they probably have nothing better to do. Those who go out of their way to post here, while avoiding their lives do have problems, but I don't know who'd do that. Only the craziest ones.
>>
>>27286668
>ALL the time

Nah, just last night and today. I'm only a month into using it like this. But yeah, it really does work. I think I'll try to optimize the dosage though. Would be nice to get it down to maybe a pill or two every day or so just to keep it going (no different than how people use typically prescribed meds, really).
>>
>>27287352
Yeah that's what I meant, sorry.
>>
>>27286249
Everyone here repeats over and over that life is terrible. And perhaps it is for them, but you cannot liberate yourself from this mode of thinking if you're surrounded by it every day.
>>
>>27284811
In my experience, it comes and goes in waves. Kinda like the ocean waves
>>
>>27284811
Depends on the type. There is major depressive disorder and dysthymia. Dysthymia is the one that sticks around forever seemingly. My psych eval says mdd in remission due to meds and also dysthymia. I have other stuff, aspergers and ocd, also. For me, i need meds just to hold back the crazy and the meds do not do a perfect job at that. I imagine i will require meds for the remainder of my life.

>Inb4 psychiatry a sham/i am slave to big pharama etc.
>>
>>27284811
>permanent
No, but the risk of falling back into it keeps existing. Someone once compared it with having had substance abuse issues. It really seems like that. Life and shit can fling you back into it if you aren't careful and that careful is for the rest of your life.
>>
>>27285618
>>27285667
Nigga I've been like this for 15 years, and I'm going to be 30 soon.
I started asking the shitty "why are we here" stuff back then and my parents just told me to go to church. Most days I wonder why I keep the flesh around my skull going and what the meaning is of all this.
>>
>>27285980

I already do the first 4.

Doesnt make a difference.
>>
>>27288319
>>27285980
>Exercise
Daily yoga
>Introspection
psychiatrist once a week and diaries full of writings
>Nutrition
enough calories, cook every meal
>Sleep
between 8 or 9 a day
>Friends
I make an effort to talk to someone in real life or on phone daily even if it's just my gran

It still doesn't help.
>>
>>27284811
You can fight through the clouds. But you need a reason to fight.
>>
>>27284811
Yes. Best case scenario is that you can get it to a point where you keep it managed.
>>
>>27288475
Daily yoga is nice, but do you do any cardio? Perhaps a short jog before your yoga?
Not saying it will cure depression, but some cardio is important senpai. You'll notice a drastic increase in energy.
>>
>>27284811
I'm starting to think so yes, though you can go for long periods of time without it, but it will always creep back.
>>
>>27288319

Who knows.

I was depressed from 12- 32, thats twenty years. After alot of searching, medications, and behavioral techniques, I found a balance that works for me.

>>27288319

Not that guy. But the last one is important.

You need at least *one* good friend. Someone who treats you good and appreciates you.

Laughter is a very powerful tool for an everyday endorphin boost. When you laugh together with someone in genuine amusement, something magical happens. Joy is a powerful gift.
>>
The last time I went through a significant depressive episode I contemplated getting a passport, taking out all my money, and pulling a Neil Peart because my Spanish is ok. Except instead of returning to America I'd blow my brains out.
>>
>>27284811
Yes.
Memes aside, having faith in a higher power is the only relief.
>>
>Yeah bro, it does. I used to be depressed all the time but then I realised how great life can be. Now I'm not depressed anymore! Alright, good pep talk bro, now let's go grab some honeys and bring 'em around to play some Pokken on the Nintendo Wii U. Girl's love the Pokemon setting and the initial simplicity will inspire them to play more and get more serious into fighting games. I know you're a virgin now but I bet you'll get all the leftover chicks when we get to EVO, right buddy?
FUCKING NORMIES STOP SAYING THIS BULLSHIT!
>>
>>27284811
No if you're depressed because chad is with "your girl"

Yes if you came to the realization how shitty reality truly is.Only temporarily can you feel happy ever again,maybe a really good event or drugs/alcohol.

And since no good events really happen to me,chug.
>>
>>27284811
Start doing shit while you still feel like crap. Good shit like walking and brushing teeth. If you feel like crap all the time, might as well feel like crap in a clean house, being healthy and fit.
Do it anon.
>>
>>27284908
this is what normies actually think
>>
>>27284811
no weirdly enough my depression turned into anger which drives me to improve myself.
>>
>>27284908
You've never been depressed have you? There is a difference between sadness and depression you know.
>>
>>27285480
>As in you have no reason for it, yet you're still experiencing it

Literally definition for depression
>>
I would say my depression has been going for about 9 years. No end is near.
>>
>>27284908
Exactly this. It won't fix itself, and it won't be fixed overnight. It may take months or years of DAILY effort, but it will change.
>>
>>27284811

The answer is yes, at least from my perspective. I have been diagnosed bipolar with major depression since I was maybe 5 or 6 years old. I remember going to a pediatric psych center or some kind, and those memories are some of the oldest I have. I was in and out of various psychologists and psychiatrists offices up until I was maybe 15 or 16, and I only stopped because my parents stopped it. Why? I "grew out of it", and by that I mean I learned to hide it.

I'm 27 now, too.

If you couldn't guess, it has only gotten worse over the years, and I just found out today that my parents have noticed a difference recently. Specifically, my mom said in the last 6 months, which have been particularly bad. I blamed it on work, which is partially true. The truth is my depression is getting worse, and while I know I should go see a doctor about it, I also know there is no way in hell I can afford it.

Long story short, it never goes away, it doesn't get better, and it will eventually kill me. Maybe, it will kill you, too, or maybe you will find the strength to put it in a box and throw away the key. Regardless, it will be there until the end.
>>
>>27292492
>Literally definition for depression

okay, yeah
>>
>>27293089
Man, how the fuck can a 6 year old get depression? If that's not proof that there's legit medical science behind it then I don't know what is.
>>
>>27284811
Depression is not permanent.

It may be for you but that'd be your fault because it is overcomable.
>>
>>27293245
It is chronic
which mean: permanent

If it goes away, it was not depression

The thing is that some people can overcome and some, such as OP or myself, cannot.
>>
Diagnosed depression with occasional mania here.

There are solutions, they're just a bit obscure.

Firstly, make peace with your depression. Set aside a day of the week to be depressed, or spread it out, an hour or two a day. Then just be depressed; sad, apathetic, whatever you feel like. Learn to enjoy it, use it to think, maybe even meditate.

Secondly, and this is more a lifestyle thing; don't do half-measures. Depression often causes people to half-ass things (doesn't help that most depressed people have an easy life being smart). If you're going to do anything, make sure you've got the willpower to go balls-to-the-wall with it (mania helps here), or don't do it at all. This helps particularly with anxiety.

Also, get a hobby, something you're passionate about. Learn it, do it, whatever; a productive form of escapism can't hurt, and it doesn't mean you have to abandon vidya or Chinese cartoons, just gives you something to say 'hey look, I can make something'.

They don't work immediately; took me years to figure this shit out. But if you just get a little better in your own eyes each day, whether that's due to actual improvements or just confidence, you'll get there.
>>
>>27293319
Whatever son. I was on SSRIs for years and they don't do anything. You have to. You don't want to. It's understandable. But for depression to be unequivocally "permanent", it should be that way for everyone.
>>
>>27293319

>Mental limitation: the post

I used to laugh at faggots like you. Now I cringe every time I read about muh depression because I see the weakest part of myself reflected on that. You faggots couldn't overcome shit if your life depended on it
>>
Depression is a choice. If you're too much of a faggot to stop being a lazy dumbass and actually give meaning to your life then you deserve to remain depressed.
>>
>>27293189

They thought it was autism or ADD, but apparently it wasn't. I think I also have borderline, but I haven't been officially diagnosed. My own research doesn't really count because it's self diagnosis.

Depression, REAL depression, isn't "waaah bad thing happened and I'm sad!!11 :((". Real depression is disease that haunts you for life.
>>
>>27293319
>being this much of a pathetic faggot
>>
Depends on what you're sad about. If you're just butthurt cause some bitch didn't respond to your skype call or something and you just wanna put dick into vagina then no you can work on that.
Real depression is essentially just the condition of seeing the world for how it actually is rather than the Disney-fied fantasy filter that normies view it through. That condition is permanent. It's a one-way street.
>>
>>27293380
You see?
Nor do I have the balls to end myself now, after having failed in the past
>>27293423
C'mon dude... do you think I'd rather to feel like shit everyday of my life and to have nothing that can shake it off, not therapy or meds or hobbies or friends or doing stuff that I "like" - all the shit people say that helps
>>27293471
I am so sorry

Honestly, i came here because I feel pretty much like OP and I thought I could get some insight... oh well...
I have good times, I have times where I can be productive and work and I can laugh but, mostly I feel like I'm a waste of space
>>
>>27293423
I'm the guy 3 posts above.

You're kinda right; depression, to me at least, is more like a lack of a reason to choose otherwise. That apathy makes the whole thing addictive.

Only way out is hope. All of the fear in the world couldn't break depression, because you can't threaten nothing, which is exactly what you become without reasons to live or die.

People with depression need hope for something better. Personally, I find hope in the faith that people can become better than they are, and I try to carry that hope by bettering myself, so that maybe others can feel it too.

But no two people's dreams are the same. Just gotta hope yours can inspire theirs.
>>
Serious question.

Have you EVER heard of someone being "cured" or "getting over" their dysthymia? Even one person?

Whenever someone says "I used to be depressed", it seems to always be someone going through a depressive -episode-.
>>
>>27284811
Clinical depression is permanent. You can treat it with medication somewhat and be relatively normal for a while but it'll always be there. It's a tricky science - depression is different for everyone since it's a hormone imbalance in the brain and people have to trial and error a lot of different prescriptions to find the one that works without fucking up your body too much. Sometimes people never find the right meds, sometimes the ones they take push them over the edge, sometimes their brain chemistry changes and the pills become ineffective or make it worse. Most of the time it's temporary and you'll need to switch pills again after a while. Sometimes you won't even notice you've changed or think you need a new prescription.

A large number of people with depression never seek help either due to social stigma (the way we treat mental illness in America is seriously fucked up) or they can't afford it.
>>
>>27293665
I've never seen someone as depressed as myself
People can't understand that I didn't not choose this shit.
>Probably due the fact that I've spent more than a decade untreated because "hurr durr depression doesn't exist"

Everything helps but nothing can fuck cure this shit, in my good days I'm in constant fear of when will I snap and try to do some shit. Am I a pathetic faggot? A lazy dumbass? Can't overcome shit? Well, I didn't give up yet even when all I see is things getting worse and worse in the future... I think it is hope? Even if there's no hope
>>
File: 1429216941134.jpg (375 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1429216941134.jpg
375 KB, 900x900
i feel like my depression is just not having a cause or anything to believe in or motivate me

most normies do things for a house, marriage, kids..etc, but i don't believe any of that is worth it anymore, or its a straight up lie from society. everything seems like bullshit to me. if i could just find something to believe in that motivated me id have a reason to do things.. but i cant and iv looked for ages. people say "just lift, go outside, socialize", they are like chores you do to move toward a place you want to get, but if you have no place you want to get then you dont really have a reason to do anything except expend minimal effort on the internet everyday just hoping something changes to make it better
>>
>>27293665
Yeup. Just gotta dig a bit deeper to find out which one they went through.

My usual benchmark is 2 years; the depression which people often go through is a result of one neurochemical (oxytocin), which wears off over a maximum of 2 years, although usually it's more like 8 months.

Actual depression is a different neurochemical (serotonin, the second S in SSRI), which, although it can be numbed, doesn't stop having an effect.

A few fun facts: depression is, neurochemically, too much serotonin. The CIA discovered a condition called Learned Helplessness in torture victims, with similar symptoms as depression, with the addition of a lack of response to negative stimuli (I can explain the experiment they used to test this if anyone wants). The neurochemical marker of this is low serotonin levels.

So in theory, SSRI's would make someone with Learned Helplessness worse.
>>
>>27293853
read
>>27293344

Damn robot muted me, so here are some original words.
>>
>>27285017
out with your trash drug meme
>>
File: 1447649323321.jpg (872 KB, 1600x1036) Image search: [Google]
1447649323321.jpg
872 KB, 1600x1036
>>27284811
For everyone here? Probably.
>>
is Benzodiazepine a good drug for dealing with depression, I need urgent answers im fucking losing my shit soon
>>
>>27293541
>I have good times, I have times where I can be productive and work and I can laugh but, mostly I feel like I'm a waste of space
Then stop being a fucking faggot. Being a 'waste of space' is because you choose to do nothing worthwhile with your life. Go out and do good with your life, make the world a better place. If you're too lazy and apathetic to do that then you deserve depression. It's all up to you though. You can choose to live a good meaningful life and if you do then your depression will either go away completely or at least significantly subside very quickly. I know you'll be tempted to deny the truth of my words but it's only because you're lazy and apathetic about changing. Stop being a fucking faggot, stop giving into your laziness and apathy. I'm not posting this with the intent of insulting you, but rather to make you fucking understand how pathetic your lifestyle is, but not only that, also that it is fully within your power to change your life and do something fucking worthwhile. I'm saying it to help you. Go fucking LIVE and do something good.
>>
>>27293605
This guy gets it. Find things you are passionate about, and preferably things that affect others, not just yourself. By trying to make Earth a better place, by doing things that benefit yourself as well as others, then you'll feel like you are actually doing something worthwhile with life. Also, obsession helps. Find some good thing to live for and fucking obsess over it. Obsessive passion or passionate obsession is a wonderful thing.
>>
>>27287352
A body at rest will stay at rest unless acted on by an outside force.
>>
>>27293986
Decreases the excitability of neurons; it'd help calm you down in low doses, but beyond that, not sure, since it doesn't react directly with serotonin receptors. Theoretically it should help depression, but I haven't exactly got a PhD to back that up.

In short; will calm you down in low doses, might help depression too, and since you sound frantic, might be worth a try.
>>
>>27284811
no it's not
explore psychedelics and dissociatives if traditional treatment is not working for you
>>
>>27293665
>Whenever someone says "I used to be depressed", it seems to always be someone going through a depressive -episode-.
yeah, a five year long depressive episode that left me unemployed
fuck you
you can get over depression

it's not much consolation when you look at the lost years, but at least you stop constantly thinking about killing yourself
>>
>>27294089
Obsessive passion is good; passionate obsession is autism, that's how you get shit like bronies. Agreed otherwise though; just because you disagree with everyone else's purpose, doesn't mean you can't find or make your own path. It just takes time.
>>
n0

no it isnt
>>
>Depressed for five years over being a worthless NEET
>Get the motivation to get back into school and get a job
>Still having depression episodes, along with experiencing my first genuine suicidal thoughts, over the idea of working five days a week for the majority of the rest of my life
Just fucking let me off the ride, death is my last hope
>>
>>27294168
>depressive episode
Exactly. That is different from chronic depression.

Although it is curious that your lasted so long.
>>
>>27294089
>>27293605
so is life just distracting ourselves while we die? because that just cycles me right back around to "nothing matters then" and back to depression because why do feels matter when it all gets erased in the end?

load of shit honestly tbqh family
>>
>>27294032
Uhh... did you even ready the whole post at all?
>not therapy or meds or hobbies or friends or doing stuff that I "like" - all the shit people say that helps
among other things

I am not lazy. I do a lot of stuff, I go out and I try to have a goddamn life. I tried to change in so many ways all over these years and do many things and get out of my comfort zone to experiment shit, I did all that stuff, nothing worked. I cannot accept that this shit will be with me for the rest of my miserable life... that could be the problem, I don't know.

Now, I am just tired.
I didn't give up but I'm very tired of trying....
>>
>>27294224
Been there; the work is as bad as it sounds, and the money doesn't help except it affords enough drink and drugs to die early.

You didn't ask for advice, but fuck you, here's mine: stop trying to walk in other people''s shoes and start walking in your own. Find your own way in life. It won't be as easy, but it'll be right, and you wont regret living, same as you wouldn't regret dying now.
>>
>>27284811
Yes.

Depression isn't just a type of mood, but a mindset. You have to learn to live with it, and you will get better.
It will never go away completely, but once you embrace this special view of the world, it won't feel that bad anymore.
>>
>>27294032
>>27293380
>>27293471
normies please leave, you just dont get it
>>
>>27294294
Fuck no, that's what normies who come home from work and watch TV until they sleep are.

I'm the second guy; honestly, having come through depression, I wouldn't change a thing if I could, because depression is a part of me, it's the part that gives me the ability to withstand what others can't.

Point being, because of depression, I'm capable of far more than just distracting myself; I can make things, and do things, and tomorrow, I'll be able to make and do better things, and part of that will be because of depression.

Any iota of free will that humans have, because of the Butterfly Effect, will massively impact the future of the entire universe. And we're not done yet; as our reach and ability to harness power expands (i.e. rising on the Kardashev scale), the choices of human beings will affect more.

We're rapidly advancing technologically, but we're going in reverse morally. I say let's leave the scientists to their thing, and work towards being more virtuous. But I dunno, maybe you'd rather be a scientist, or maybe an artist; whatever it is, you have the potential to matter. We all do. Most of us just don't choose it. But that choice isn't set in stone until we die.
>>
>>27284811
when you reach depression and learn how everything's actually pure shit, you can't just unlearn it

how are normies not depressed? are they just too easily distracted by inane, shitty distractions?
>>
>>27294576
> you have the potential to matter
i don't believe this and i don't understand how anyone can
>>
>>27294697
Normies don't actually think about what is happening around.

Their shallow being is what prevents them from getting depression
>>
>>27294697
i don't know but would knowing even help? would it mean anything? nihilistic depression can be somewhat stress relieving when you let that kind of thing go.. when you realize it just wont make a difference anyway

maybe the key to all of this is leaning how to somehow "let go".. i guess if we could do that we would't need to come on r9k anymore
>>
>>27294338
>stop trying to walk in other people''s shoes and start walking in your own. Find your own way in life.
That's actually exactly what I started trying to do once I figured out that being a wageslave wasn't going to work.

I've worked out that I'd be happiest working from home, but that just seems like an unattainable pipe dream from where I'm standing.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you manage to get over this?
>>
>>27294721
Why not? Because there are 7 billion of us? Imagine every single one of us owns our own solar system, which we will eventually be capable of; will we matter then? What about when we own an entire galaxy?

It won't happen in our lifetimes, but it's a possible future for the human race. It follows logically that our current actions inevitably effect future developments. So how exactly do any of us not matter?
>>
>>27284991
nice b8 m8 ii r8 iit 8/8
>>
>>27294786
it doesn't matter what you try.

> get a job
ok, its shit
> get a gf
ok, shes disappointing
> go outside
ok, its boring
> find a passion
ok, its stressful

people love recommending things but nothing fills the gap. we're programmed like this to constantly strive and be dissatisfied.. the best slave is one who doesn't stop working no matter what they achieve. we'll be chasing our tails until we die
>>
you'll die eventually
>>
it all comes tumbling down
EoE was a documentary
>>
>>27294846
solar system, galaxy.. these are big words that ultimately mean a lot of cold empty space, darkness, and some rocks
>>
>>27294786
Quit my job by just never turning up or calling, lived unemployed for a year, then decided to do computing at uni. After that, maybe I''ll do some freelance work or just scrape by on unemployment. If an opportunity comes along to do something I want, I'll take it, but if not, I'll find my own way.

It all comes down to the code you live by. I live by mine, and no matter what I do with my life, I won't regret any of it, because I stuck to my code. I don't regret walking away from a big payslip, or scraping by for a year. What I regret is ever putting on a suit and tie at all.

Your code is probably different from mine, and that's cool; you just live by yours. Whatever materially happens from there, at least then you'll live and die having been your own person.

Fire off with any questions, I'm pulling an all-nighter.
>>
I think so. I started to feel depressed when I was twelve. I'm twenty seven now. This isn't a phase, there's something inherently wrong with me. I feel fated to die by suicide. The only way out is death, I may as well skip to the ending.
>>
File: 1436723659601.gif (2 MB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
1436723659601.gif
2 MB, 750x750
anyone ever feel like you make yourself suffer because when you're in the void you're closer to some deeper truth that you cant feel when you're caught up in the distractions of normie life..
>>
>>27295020
No, you don't understand; what I'm talking about is becoming a god. We, right now, are shaping the face of god; we don't have meaning, we are the meaning.

Don't believe in religion, or hope, or economics, or space, or anything big and meaningless. Believe in humanity.
>>
>>27295120
Yep. This is orginal
>>
I had tranny depression. Estrogen pretty much fixed it instantly. It was very strange to suddenly have emotions again.
>>
>>27295152
wtf are you talking about tbqh family
>>
>>27285707
>Coming to /r9k/ is definitely counterproductive if you seriously want it to stop though. I've seen the first post on this board, I've seen it go from happy experimentation to long-winded self-posts to /soc/ style place to just a pit of depression and now I only come every few months to check up on you guys... I remember it feeling like a good crutch, and sort of my only/best friends in those days when I used to spend NYEs and such here, but in reality every social circle that reinforces the depressed thought patterns is doing you more harm than good.
This is so true. I don't feel like I fit in here, and it's for the best. /r9k/ and similar are pacifiers that reinforce all of your problems.
>>
>>27284908
Let's see here:
>depressed because i've wasted my entire childhood, or the best years of people's lives
easy, just get a time machine
>depressed because i've never had a gf
easy, just get 20 in a day and dump them all
>depressed because i wake up every morning wanting to die
easy, just pump carbon monoxide into my room after i fall asleep tonight
>depressed because i have to go to school and work and dont enjoy any of it and have no social life and no hope for ever achieving one and even my time alone is just staring at a screen making stupid memes and refreshing the same 5 tabs hoping i get a (You)
easy, put my neck on some train rails
>>
>>27295202
It sounds like he had a really good acid trip recently
>>
>>27284811
Depression is the state of unhappiness with your life. It is permanent if you can not change your life into what makes you happy.
>>
>>27295202
Look at the difference in input between us; I'm talking about something, with a point to make, with knowledge and experience to share.

You're just typing words on a screen.

That's the difference; the ability to give yourself purpose. And purpose is the entire subject of this conversation.

>>27295282
Smoked my fair share of MJ, but no, this comes from years of reading philosophy, physics and a bunch of other shit, an awareness of the advancement of science and the rate that's happening, and enough of an understanding of these things to connect them.

Is it really so hard to believe that one day our sciences could possibly advance to the point where we're capable of colonising, at least, one entire galaxy? I mean fuck, look at technology now, the shit they're experimenting with and developing; in a decade our world will be something from a cyberpunk novel, and I'm talking full-on Deus Ex shit.

Look at how far we've come in 16 years. Then think of what we could potentially do in another 1000, or even further in to the future. Then tell me that I'm doing anything more than being hopeful.
>>
File: 1430245087153.png (21 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1430245087153.png
21 KB, 900x900
>>27295226
r9k is the solution, it will help you let go of things you cant change and finally accept them. if you didn't find r9k you'd be stumbling about the normies getting their "just b urself" lectures and fucking up even more, then youd go to them and say "i tried it but it didn't work" and they'd tell you that you didn't try hard enough because obviously the world is fair and only people who deserve it suffer
>>
>>27288475

step your game up, i run 40 miles a week, usually more than 5 a day, and i feel fucking GOOD. i still had depression at 25 miles a week. 40 hard miles a week is the sweet spot for me.

i ran 12.5 today

i'm still on a cloud from it, a nice healthy euphoria
>>
>>27295463
yet here you are posting on r9k
>>
>>27284811
If it's a matter of brain chemistry (or at least, brain chemistry is involved), then yes, if untreated. No drugs might work for you, or they work but might have awful side effects.

If it's a matter of lifestyle habits, yes, if you don't do something about it. It will be difficult and you might fail anyway.

Medicines for the first one, behavioral therapy for the second. Might need both.
>>
>>27293935
> "trash drug"

That's the meme.

And all pot smokers are dirty hippies.
>>
It doesn't have to be.

Everyone has a different way of beating it.

Mine was starting over. New town, new doctor, new diet, new job, hit the ground running with making friends and going out before people got to know the me that left the place I was before.

Sometimes you just need to find the will to tell yourself that everyday is a chance to start over. It's hard to force your way out of it. Depression is truly a cage and everyone's lock needs their own key.

mine
>concerta, clonzepam for emergency anxiety attacks
>hiking up and down local cliffs in my area with a friend
>a dog, which forces me to take care of someone else. I can't ruin his short life because I'm a depressed asshole, and having to walk and socialize him gets me out of the house.
>playing dungeons and dragons in person instead of online
>>
>>27285161
This is the only response that matters on this thread.
>>
>>27295522

Every monday morning is a chance to start over, and moving to a new place is also a really good idea.
>>
>>27284811
For some people it is, but others manage to get better.
>>
>>27295463
I am also a runner and yes, this shit feels better than sex, I run in my worse days
but it's temporary relief.... and that's nerve-racking!
>>27295563
Completely agree with you, too bad not all of us can afford doing that...
>>
>>27294224

fuck i'm right there with you...i think i need a semi free-structured job or i'm going to kill myself. 5 days a week in an office from 9 - 6 would put me in alcohol detox or the morgue in a year.

i just need a little bit of leeway on the hours, a little bit of flex, some off days, not being a total bitch boy to the boss man
>>
>>27295043
Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate the perspective from someone who went through what I'm going through.

You're absolutely right that I should be living life in a way that makes me feel satisfied. I guess it's just going to take some experimenting to figure out how to do that, while still meeting the demands of society. I do want to be productive, just not at the cost of my happiness, you know?
>>
Not if you shoot yourself on twitch for us
>>
>>27295475

pls no bully i always get the nighttime feels, r9k is soothing for that
>>
>>27285161
this

i think its influenced by the "everyone is equal", "anyone can accomplish anything with the right instructions/work ethic" memes that our society (and self help marketing) pushes on us from an early age.. no other time believed this shit, they knew their place and had sensible expectations.

those expectations just make it worse i think
>>
>>27295595
I've just started running, I lifted for a couple years prior to this with minimal cardio. I have to say it does feel AMAZING. The first few days were hell, but it gets easier.
>>
>>27295543
It's really not; dopamine receptors up- and down-regulate all the time, and very few things can change this except for drug (cocaine, heroin, amphetamine, alcohol, and nicotine) abuse. Regardless; neurochemistry is changed constantly by outside stimuli, that is, what you experience. And just like in a novel, your experiences change you, and just like in real life, you can change your experiences by changing your lifestyle.

>>27295610
It's good that you haven't lost all hope; hold on to that, it matters more than anyone here knows.

Productive is a debatable term though; do you have to produce for society in order to be productive? Or do you just have to produce for yourself, maybe even just to feel good about yourself? I don't disagree with anything you said, just try to introspect, and ask what these words mean to you, rather than just the dictionary. Once you have that figured out, it's just a case of doing what you said.

I do get ya on the happiness thing. But that'll come when you realise you're on the right path; that's the payment for the work you've done, and have still to do. Like I said, not easy, but it's the right way to live; the Romans and Greeks understood it better than us.
>>
>>27293859
You're aware that the serotonine theories regarding depression are just theories, right? You're aware that there are anti-depressants that does not act on serotonine at all? The current understanding is that serotonine does something somewhere and that THAT is what actually limits depression. Stop posting like you know what you're talking about when you don't even have the very basics down.
>>
>>27295906
> Stop posting like you know what you're talking about when you don't even have the very basics down
where do you think you are?
>>
>>27284811
No op, I was depressed for 3 years. I wish I knew how it ended but I just noticed during a week or two that I was falling asleep without staying up and feeling less worse. Nothing significant happened I played vidya and watched series like every other day during those 3 years.

It took me a few questions to open that fucking hell hole and 3 years to get rid of it. never found the answers too.
>>
>>27295967
You're lucky...
I've been down the hole for over 12 years and never found a way out...

It probably gets harder to get out the more you stay there....
>>
>>27293986
Benzos are for severe anxiety. I suggest never trying them unless you're about to explode with despair and anxiety.
>>
Can parasites be killed?
>>
>>27295906
In order: yes, yes, we have more knowledge than that (not complete, but we can identify individual receptors), and you are very welcome to correct me.

Also this: >>27295926
This is the internet; if I'm wrong, which considering how much I've typed I probably am somewhere, anyone can call my bullshit, and nobody's stupid enough to take it as fact. I'm not trying to teach though; I'm trying to open people's minds up to possible explanations and experiences. Maybe not quite giving hope, but the curiosity to find it.

I think I'm right, but it doesn't matter; anyone who gets curious because of something I wrote, then goes out and eventually improves their life in some tiny way because of it, is a win in my book. And if I can do that even once a month for the rest of my life, I'll have left a sizeable mark on the universe, and a positive contribution to humanity.
>>
>>27296063
I'm the poster from above that takes concerta AND benzos and I must confirm.

Benzos are great when your depression is truly just anxiety masked by anguish and helplessness that leads to hyperventilating, sudden hypomanic states, chest pain, random crying, "blacking out" from anxiety (where your ears ring, everything around you literally slows down and you're paralyzed with denationalization), and making sudden impulsive decisions based on fear. They're not great if you're already numbed by depression.

I know my ADD fuels my depression because I can't really concentrate without ritalin and I am a walking papertrail/mess, and then the pressure of all of the things that I have to do or expectations that I have to live up to but can't because of my ADD/depression fuels just my anxiety. If I'm not taking my medicines and giving myself time to rest and regroup, I'm trapped in a vicious circle of letting things pile up around me until they crash down upon me. I just can't live like that anymore. If I have to take prescription meth to wake me up in the morning, so be it. If I have to take enough benzos to knock out 10 men in order to go to sleep without reliving every terrible thing that's ever happened to me inside my head, I guess that's what has to happen.
>>
>>27296299
* "and depersonalized" not "with denationalization"

Jesus Christ.
>>
I personally use anger and resentiment to fix my life

>take cold showers while listening trash metal
>browse fat hate threads, woman hate threads, normie hate threads, etc. in the morning to get up
>think of my depression as a giant black shadow and promise myself i will beat the shit out of it
>get my energy from arguing with people of my class

>inb4 edgelord
I am, but atleast i'm not depressed
>>
File: bmc.png (130 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
bmc.png
130 KB, 320x320
>>27296019
yeah, I used to think it will be like that forever, and the longer it took, somehow, the more i felt confirmed about it.

12 years? Do you ever get used to it?
>>
>>27296447
Yeah, i used to be like this but it hurt myself in the proccess

It's a way out that work for some
>>
>>27296447
im literally the opposite of this

became the nicest guy to all my family and friends and they now think its time for me to get help (before they thought depression is a meme)
>>
>>27296087
Considering what you wrote in your initial post, no and no. Just stop posting kid, don't make me forcefeed you quotes.
>>
>>27285017
i take DXM cough medicine every night to go to sleep. it takes away the depression i feel during the day.
>>
>>27296558
Honestly, the problem is exactly that: I'm not used to it

It's like fighting an enemy you can't win... I am still figuring out what to do, even after all these years, because things got exponentially worse a couple years ago... the short-term solution that is working for me is to keep my mind busy 24/7...
well, now i can't sleep well because of that but it helps with the suicidal ideation and all the shit that comes with it while I'm awake
>>
>>27296563
It happened to me before, once i ran out of anger i fell in depression again, but something tells me this time will be different
>>
>>27296299
My life is pretty similar, though i selfmedicate with caffeine pills since a diagnosis is out of reach. Obviously the caffeine just worsens the anxiety but i feel so miserable without them that there
isn't much choice. I have fainted from what i presume is anxiety several times. Essentially i've felt so shit that i get some despair-induced blood pressure drop which makes me go unconscious for a couple of seconds.
>>
>>27296865
Let's share the love to help each other.
My advice to you is to slowly ween yourself off of caffeine so that you have reasonable amounts of it in your system throughout the day. Take Claritin D or something with pseudoephedrine instead. You can get it from behind the counter when you show ID at the pharmacy. Take your fish oils and magnesium.

Have you ever wondered if you have blood sugar problems? I know when my levels are out of whack it definitely impacts my anxiety, and it has made me faint before.

Why is a diagnosis out of reach for you?
>>
>>27296777
Shit son, did something happen that turned things exponentially worse?

How long has it been since you have started the short term solution? I remember trying thay and breaking down and sulking a lot when I tried to keep busy.

Also checked
>>
>>27296747
In small amounts I hope.
>>
>>27284908
Be honest. You don't have a family history of depression. You were just sad once and you think that's the same thing.
>>
>>27297034
Well, I got myself an useless art-related major and I'm unemployed for several years, living off of my parents, I feel like a complete burden to them and to everyone. I also spent a long time jumping from job to job and trying to fit somewhere but they just won't hire an introvert and awkward person

Well, the "solution"? About 2 or 3 years ago, when the symptoms started to broaden (anxiety, panic, etc). I've researched some coping mechanisms and tried many, unsuccessfully, just to discover that I need to literally exhaust my brain for it to shutdown and stop.

Right now, I'm trying again to pursue my passion that is arts once again, something I've abandoned half-way out of frustration (and anhedonia, at some point) my focus is trying to be happy.
Well, I still need some way of getting money that my art might not fulfill completely, but I'd rather be unemployed than in some place I hate around people I dislike doing shit I don't care (been there, done that, it made me feel much worse)
>>
File: 4264262462.jpg (891 KB, 2141x3000) Image search: [Google]
4264262462.jpg
891 KB, 2141x3000
What?
What are you talking about?

Of course depression is forever.
As you all well know, depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain (tm) after all!

Kooky conspiracy theorists and ignorant naysayers might try and tell you that the monoamine theory is shaky at best. But don't listen to them. We know best!

The only way to fix your depression is with the affordable and effective range of products currently on the market.

Ask your doctor about the wildly popular SSRI Prozac! Cheap, handy, and guaranteed to get rid of those pesky chemical imbalances. You need it!
>>
>>27295271
:( I feel ya

Heres a (You)
>>
>>27297283
>ugh RIP english
sorry about the typos, I ain't native
>>
>>27297098
Some people just don't get it. Especially when they don't understand things like S.A.D., chronic depression or generalized anxiety, ptsd, manic depressive, etc. can and sometimes just WILL come back whether you're at cloud 9 or not.

Everything in my life can be fucking fantastic. I tell everyone inside at the party,"Hey guys I'll be back in in a second, I'm gonna step outside."

>The silence hits me
>Everything becomes meaningless
>I feel trapped inside my head with no way out
>I've been seeing auras all night, the migraines are coming

You know that feeling you have the very second you hear that someone's dead, or when someone you love starts a conversation with a shaking voice and a "I'm sorry.", or those few seconds at the beginning of a car crash? That moment is so fleeting for some people, but it finds me at the most inopportune moments. When I'm holding my niece, petting my dog, giving someone a hug, etc.

Sometimes you just excuse yourself from situations to throw up or engage in stimming, and you wonder why you haven't just quit. It's always going to come back. You never just get to outgrow being sprung with perpetual fear and absolute despair when you least expect it.

You know what girls really like? Night terrors. People who cry and scream in their sleep.
It just keeps 'em coming.

Your new boss is going to love how you clench your fists or how your facial expressions drop at random in a way that "scares people".

You know what I love? Being told on yearly reviews with my bosses that some days I'm the best employee there, and that on some days,"You're not yourself" and being given pamphlets and suggestions for psychiatrists and counseling in our insurance network.

Like I'm just going to snap out of that and change all of the things in my life because it must be my environment that causes it, not the fact that I LITERALLY AM FUCKING CRAZY FOR 1/3 OF THE YEAR.
>>
>>27297328
get out of here Dr. Shekelstein. OP won't fall for your dumb tricks.
>>
>>27297390
Don't get me wrong, I can get myself together and with the right cocktail of meds and consistent support. I'm just fine. I just get really fucking irritated when people assume that everyone fits inside their little narrative that all forms of mental illness are direct consequences of bad habits and can be cured with hot dogs and smiles.

"Jamie, don't cross your eyes! Your face will stay that way, you know."
>>
My depression comes from the constant emptiness and passionless (probably anhedonia, haven't been diagnosed yet) that I have. Can I fill my life up with things? Probably, I did it with school and vidya. Will that make me feel good? Happy? No, it's just a numbing agent, a tarp over the hole. I can look at others, and know, they do things with determination, something I can never do. Nothing will make me passionate enough to make me happy, to fill this void inside me. I'll never be slightly comparable to anyone, and listening to their stories, their happiness just makes me feel even emptier. Can this be solved? I don't think so. Friends won't help, doing things won't help, pills won't help (this isn't an emotional thing, this is me thinking about my life. Unless pills can make me love things). I will always be empty inside.

for others whos sadness have been caused by social isolation and whatnot, the depression could have ended, if you were let into society, but we all know that'll never happen. Society hates us for not being like them, and we probably won't conform to their rules. We're robots for a reason
>>
>>27297528
I was talking to someone on a suicide helpline once, and when she asked me when I remember stopping doing things I liked I really freaked out.

I can't remember; can you?
>>
>>27297390
>tfw you can't really genuinely use the word triggered because of sjws

I can relate to this a little, some days I'm numb to the emptiness in my life, my soul, but it always comes back. Especially when hearing about others and the fulfilling lives they have

Thanks for sharing the feels. Hopefully the normies will read and understand
>>
Eventually it'll cease and may return. It a not depression itself the important thing but looking if I'm causing it and if it's not the case bear with it because, as I've already said, it will fade away

But may last much longer time than expected, especially if neurological damage is related

For one truth I'll say about the solution: IT'S ABOUT LETTING GO AND FLOWING - GRIEFING WHEN THERE'S NEED TO GRIEF AND SMILING WHEN YOU FEEL LIKE SMILING

Don't overlook small experiences because they help to stabilize even though they may be not very amusing
>>
Depression is a symptom, not a condition on its own. It's oftenly related to denial. Stick to what your therapist tells you and you'll die an idiot.
>>
>>27284811
bullets seem to cure depression.
they also seem to cure the condition known as "life"
>>
>>27289183
His lyrics are incredible, especially from Vapor Trails. You can really get a glimpse into what he was experiencing.
Even older songs like losing it have that same sad tone.
>>
File: 1452666449896.jpg (44 KB, 425x960) Image search: [Google]
1452666449896.jpg
44 KB, 425x960
>>27297628
>griefing
>>
>>27297582
I never truly liked things, I just numbingly lived my life. Like floating along the river, because you never had a propeller. But the numbing ended half a year ago. I dropped everything then, nothing gave me happiness, why was u doing it? That's the best answer I can give
Thread replies: 171
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.