[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone else have robot/forever alone parents? >literally
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3
File: parents[1].jpg (209 KB, 1600x1067) Image search: [Google]
parents[1].jpg
209 KB, 1600x1067
Does anyone else have robot/forever alone parents?

>literally never once saw them do anything with friends. no going out to dinner, going on vacation, even doing an activity with them. ever.
>their nights are spent watching tv in separate rooms
>they dont even seem to like each other and were close to separating/divorce like 10 years ago but i know for a fact they would both me alone forever if they had
>even though they moved into a brand new housing development that was being built when they bought it so all the people moving in were new, they dont even talk to their neighbors and dont even know their names even though they've lived there for almost 20 years

Did we ever have a chance
>>
Adults have coworkers, not friends.

Your parents are normal.
>>
>my mom doesnt have any friends
>but she went to ibiza/romania/italy when she was young
>she owned a sports car
>she is skittish around my dad

my dad beat her before i was born right?
>>
>father was a popular, confident succesful extrovert
>mother was a quiet, resentful isolated woman
>tfw they divorced
>tfw raised by mother
>tfw a quiet, resentful isolated beta
>>
>>27264446
nah dude, adults definitely have friends

my mom knows literally dozens, probably hundreds of people through her work she's done for 30 years, people she's known for 20+ years, always talking to on the phone during the work week

on weekends? literally nothing.
>>
My parents used to be that way until they divorced. Now my mom is dating some expired Chad and has a big group of friends while my dad is continuing to be a friendless workaholic.
>>
>>27264392
At least they have each other, it's cool.
>>
Yes. My parents have one other super white trash couple they see like a few times per year, and some old school friends they maybe call once per year and send Xmas cards.

Their entire lives are work and work and work their SHIT wageslave $15/hr jobs, bitch about their shitty jobs for an hour after work, then fall asleep on the couch watching Big Bang Theory normalfag crap on TV. And on weekends, gotta spruce up the house and buy a lot of shit we don't need to keep up with the Joneses!

They make me so fucking depressed. I want the furthest thing from their lives.
>>
>>27264652
but honestly i dont think they even like each other

my dad is a hypocritical, badgering asshole who is always expaserated by her and my mom is happy when hes gone on business trips and calls him an asshole to his face all the time

its pretty ridiculous
>>
>>27264392
For close to 15 years after leaving the military, my dad was pretty robot. He was married, but his social group consisted essentially of an ever-dwindling group of penpals from his Air Force squadron, while my mother's social network essentially consisted of one or two of my friends' moms.

Now my dad got a promotion, makes a shit ton of money with loads of free time, and is 50 but living the dream both socially and financially. My mom's mostly still just church women's-gorup meetings but she's a little more social than she used to be.

Even being a permavirgin is confirmed for better social life than being a parent. For christ's sake, you don't even get laid very often if you've got a kid in the house.
>>
if my parents are robots and i was an only child too how was i supposed to ever be normal
>>
>>27265192
Same boat. I don't know. I feel I was destined for this fate since I was 12 years old.
>>
They really seem to only have each other.
>dad is a former male model
>confident and all that
>still spends most of his time at a property his dad owns, fixing up an old car there or feeding and playing with the kittens that show up in the summer
>has brought home a kitten from there on more than one occasion
>had one friend when I was growing up and they had a falling out or something when I was young

>mom is quiet and calm and kind of serene almost
>reads a lot
>she had one friend but they only talk through email now I guess
>spends most of her time playing card games on her laptop, reading, or watching tv shows on a PC I hooked to their tv, or playing with their cat
I'm the same way too with my wife, though. Neither of us go out much or anything, we just prefer each other's company. She likes to bake and watch movies. I like to play video games and sometimes I just kind of sit around and get lost in my own thoughts. Not thinking about anything deep or anything, I just get caught up in it.
>>
>>27265417
Lucky you have a wife, man.

Any advice for a 20 year old looking to get married soon?
>>
>>27265478
Nope. I don't know shit about the social scene, I married the girl I grew up next door to.
>>
>>27265417
I feel like there are so many temptations now to cheat on your significant other. fb, dating sites
>>
>>27265623
As far as I know my parents don't even use FB
>>
>>27265783
what about you and your wife. There are websites which say 'have an affair'
>>
Mommy was abandoned by her dad and my grannie was a slut.
Daddy has a controlling mum who once treathened suicide if her son went out of the village to study.
They both have taken antidepressants in the last 5 years.
Daddy was a bitter and angry motherfucker, but now he takes antideps he's fucking cloying and it's like it's too late for that. He probably raised my lack of self steem.
Mommy used to be a depressed hosemaid, but now she kinda fine. She doesn't take antideps no more, does yoga and shit.
Also first thing they did when I was born was moving to an isolated house so making friends (or doing anything out of house really) was difficult to me. Also they prefered to do any shit for me and my brother rather than letting me face any problem. If I didn't realized about my situation at time, I would be worse than the cyborg I am. My little brother plays LoL all day now and doesn't give a fuck about anybody tho, and they still wondering what they did wrong.
>>
>>27264392
Das has OCD and depression and my mom was sexually abused as a child
>>
>>27265861
I'm not cheating and I'm confident she isn't.
>>
File: kidskills.jpg (2 MB, 1698x1131) Image search: [Google]
kidskills.jpg
2 MB, 1698x1131
You robots who lack social skills... OP has hit on one of the major factors. A lot (but not all) chads grew up seeing a parent interacting people. they see how to treat strangers and friends. They see how to turn acquaintances into friends and maintain good friendships so they don't die.

You missed all that. You are kids stranded on a raft all alone in the middle of the sea and you are suck to figure out how to navigate on your own. It's an impossible task.
>>
>>27264392
I know my dad is friendless and awkward at family events. I feel terribly bad for him because he's a recovering alcoholic who occasionally relapses because of stress. My mom hounds him about getting hours at work and whenever he's home she wants his undivided attention.

I've suggested easing up on him to my mother but she's a stubborn old goat who utterly blanks any opinion but hers. I try to talk to my dad whenever I can and we get along very well. But he needs other friends then his son.
>>
File: 1454790945521.jpg (70 KB, 854x900) Image search: [Google]
1454790945521.jpg
70 KB, 854x900
>>27264392
My dad is a robot

He's 62 and all he does is buy groceries, play vidya, watch movies, read books. He's been like this forever. He attends social functions if he has to.

When we see each other all we talk about is what games we're currently playing. He gets bored when you try to discuss anything else, except 3D printing and actual industry robots, he's into that.

He spends his disposable income on tech stuff, like bigger screens and tablets. I'm exactly like him. My mom divorced him because he was "weird".
>>
>>27266320
Mine only works, goes out running and sleeps. Nigga can come back from work and sleep til we take dinner and go back to bed.
>>
>>27266320
>>27266422
my dad is 63 and is even worse

when he's home, all he does is go to work, come home and watch tv (most of which he just randomly flips through different shit) and sits on his laptop working or dicking around online. the only thing he does on weekends is go to the gym and stay home unless he goes to dinner with my mom or something, then they come home and watch tv the rest of the night

he travels for work frequently and i ask him if he goes out and does stuff in these cities and he says "no im there for work not a vacation"

i dont even think he spends his disposable income on anything. he has no hobbies, rarely buys new clothes, cant use technology, i imagine that all he does is just invest it

the only leisure activities i know of him doing is when he goes on vacations with my mom that she does all the work setting up and he just acts like a sarcastic prick about everything with it

i have never seen him even ATTEND a social function. he doesnt even talk to people

its no surprise i grew up to be the way i am
>>
>>27266589
Maybe to a 63 year old, using the computer is a hobby
Maybe you're so used to the idea of a computer existing, you don't realize that these things were the size of buildings less than a few decades ago
>>
>>27266113
this... hits home.
and it hits hard.
my parents never had friends or anyone they interacted with and only ever fought with each other and us.
no wonder I'm despicable.
end my suffering
>>
>>27264392

yeah, it sounds like your parents are quite a bit more socially inept than mine, but mine really don't have any friends either.

However they both come from families with lots of siblings, so there's a nice amount of family interaction.

They always spend all their time when not working watching tv in some fashion. It depresses me, I mean I guess all I do is sit in front of computers and smoke weed, but I get the feeling they never really lived. I don't think most people do.

One time I asked my mom about it, and I don't think she had ever really thought about it that way before. She basically agreed with me that life is mostly working yourself to the bone and deluding yourself with vicarious experiences when you're not. Don't get me wrong, I realize there are alternatives, but not really.

Its one part mindset too though. I feel like I'm a black sheep and I've ended up depressing my parents with my views of the world.
>>
Thinking about it, I've never witnessed my dad have a friend, and he's stiff at family gatherings. Mom has a lot of friends though, so I can't blame this like other bots here can. Used to piss me off as a kid, too.

> come home at night after playing with kids outside
> house is full of 40s women
> anon come say hi
> awkwardly stumble to living room
> say hi
> escape to my room
>>
Mom and dad never had friends. I don't have friends.. 100% correlation?
>>
>>27266320
I'd kill for my Dad to be anything like him. Cherish him while you still can.
>>
>>27266730
OP here

my mom has a brother who she basically hasnt talked to in like 20 years and thats all of her family that's left. my dad has a small but extended family who we see part of once a year and the rest only like once a decade

the depression of my family really comes in during the holidays. the only holiday we see our small family with is thanksgiving (this past one was miserable because we spent most of in the hospital when my dad's mom was sick and died a few days after), and christmas, 4th of july, etc are like any other days for us

my parents do nothing but work and watch shitty tv shoes that i hate, never tried doing things as a family growing up, spend all our time together fighting, and they wonder why i dont want to to do anything with them and have a bad relationship with them
>>
My dad lives alone, spends all his money on guns, and has admitted to hating women. He's pretty cool and goes on dates though so not really a "robot"
>>
my mom seems normal if you talk to her but she has antisocial qualities. she doesn't get close to most people. she was never really meant for dating or marriage. as a child she wanted to have a kid because she was afraid of rejection and she thought her kid would always be close to her.
>>
>>27264392
My dad is divorced from my mom and he's literally Milhouse's dad in real life. Has no friends outside of work and will always be home alone every night. We have a mutual silent respect for each other, he's never pestered me about getting a gf and I never pester him about finding a new wife
>>
>>27266853
I do, even though my mom spouted anti-dad propaganda when I was a kid. Over the years I found that he's actually the only one in my family who comes to help when you call him. On my mom's side they're all big talkers.
>>
>>27266320
>divorced him because he was "weird"

Don't you have to have a legitimate reason to legally get divorced? At least you so where I'm from
>>
>>27267174
Good point, I actually don't know much about divorce laws. My understanding is that you can just file for divorce. It's like a breakup but with more paperwork.
>>
>>27264499
Omg same
>>
>>27266900

>my parents do nothing but work and watch shitty tv shoes that i hate, never tried doing things as a family growing up, spend all our time together fighting, and they wonder why i dont want to to do anything with them and have a bad relationship with them

Yeah I can understand a lot of those feels. Especially the things about the time spent together being in argument. I used to have a pretty awful relationship with my parents, but things turned out better for me after I went away to college for a while.

We get a long pretty well. I don't like most of the tv and such they watch, but I'm glad to know I do have some people who really love and care for me. I don't know what advice I can give you because your situation is yours, but maybe off and on you can try to have small conversations with them or watch a show or something. Could be good for both parties.
>>
>tfw my mom has more friends than I do (I don't have any)
>tfw my mom goes out on weekends and I just stay home and feel sorry for myself
>>
Mother died exactly 8 years ago today. My dad suffered a heart attack that left him unable to work shortly after that. He has had a few relationships afterward.
Tried to drink himself to death after he found out his last girlfriend was cheating on him.
Now he just sits behind his computer all day. Occasionally doing some work.
>>
>>27264528
LL II TT EE RR AA LL YY
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.