[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm searching for literature on how to control ones mood.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: natalynlind_14yo.png (512 KB, 599x597) Image search: [Google]
natalynlind_14yo.png
512 KB, 599x597
I'm searching for literature on how to control ones mood.
Is there anything that's not 80% about meditation?
>>
>What is meditation NOT?
>>
You should probably try meditation though
>>
>>27258118
Captain underpants!
>>
Meditation teaches you how to have your head stuffed up your asshole all day every day.

9 on 10 hipster bhuddists or whatever that I've ever met are just pretentious assholes who smoke pot and eat mushrooms and think they're enlightened.

Give it a shot sure. But keep in mind that it's mostly just a bunch of bullshit. If meditating could help you get wealthy in the real world, everybody would do it all the time. But it doesn't because it's all imaginary feel good BS that doesn't do anything in real life
>>
>>27258118
I'd recommend exercise as a quick way to change your mood. I find doing as many pushups as possible, followed by maybe planks or pullups really changes my mental state fast.

Beyond that, i'd say a lot of it probably has to do with diet, but I'm not sure if we can really do much to control our moods.
>>
fully internalize that you or anything you ever do, or anything anybody else will ever do or be has absolutely no value in the grand scheme of things.
perhaps study science and philosophy to confirm it for a fact using reason.
you will eventually feel numb and mildly content all the time.
>>
>>27258484

...meditation isn't about getting wealthy. Literally what?
>>
>>27258118
>how to control ones mood.

Not possible you mongoloid. The only thing you can learn to do is realize that moods are transient, and if you feel angry it ain't going to last forever.
>>
>>27258560
If it had real effects people could and would use it to improve their financial situation. It doesn't, and so people don't.

Meditation actually seems like it will more often help you be broke and without health insurance, if that's what you want. You'd be better off just going to a good old fashioned catholic church and interacting with some real beans
>>
>>27258604
What the fuck are you even talking about you retarded idiot?

Meditation is about realizing that thoughts and moods are not who you are and you don't need to be controlled by them, which can make you feel immensely satisfied and fulfilled regardless of what your station is in life.

It has nothing to do with money, and it doesn't stop you from getting a career or health insurance either you fucking sperg.
>>
>>27258635
I guess you need to meditate more, champ. It doesn't look like it's working.
>>
File: emot_bah.jpg (50 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
emot_bah.jpg
50 KB, 600x600
fyi I wanted to make this explicitly not about meditation. I'll try to get more into it, but I'm thinking of less eastern approaches. Stoicism would be on.

I'm a finishing PhD student in STEM, doing relatively well and I'm not depressed.
I think my biggest fear is to waste time. I have some goals, career and life, and I sometimes get thrown back if I get into some non-life treating trouble (like unexpectedly having to pay 400 bucks for this and that thing - it doesn't actually matter to me but such things take off too much of my mental energy).
I want to be stoic about certain things, say.
It's probably one of the main reason I read into philosophy.
>>
>>27258686
>He thinks the goal of meditation is to turn you into a Stoic guru

Maybe you should stop talking about a topic you have zero knowledge of.

Champ.
>>
>>27258686
BLOWN THE FUCK OUT!
MEDITATE FAGGOTS BLOWN THE FUCK OUT!
>>
>>27258484
Yeah I agree anon. I have found meditation really useful for controlling mild anxiety and concentration but a lot of people way oversell it imo.

If somebody's serious about the whole spiritual meditation then they're not going to tell you about it (because being humble, mindful etc). I know somebody who meditates for an hour every day but you'd never know from briefly talking to them.
>>
>>27258118
dunno any titles but material on Cognitive Behavior Therapy maybe?

Or anything by the stoics.
>>
>>27258735
>He thinks the goal of meditation is to turn you into a Stoic guru

The goal is apparently to become a conceited, hypocritical asswipe. And that's exactly what I was just saying in the first place.
>>
>>27258118

The meditations of Marcus Aurelius is the best book for that. No need for meditations the title is just about the best Roman emperor to ever live and how he viewed the world. You can read it for free online. I suggest it 10/10
>>
>>27258955
Sounds cool. Thanks senpai
>>
>>27258946
>The goal is apparently to become a conceited, hypocritical asswipe.

No it's not. This is just your psychological projection, because it's clear that you are a conceited, hypocritical asswipe yourself.
>>
>>27259004
It's not healthy to completely deny those feelings you're having, and push them entirely onto people around you.

That's an extremely destructive character flaw, and one which mediation has apparently helped you rectify in no way at all. I would even argue that it's made it worse.
>>
i learned to pull myself together once i had a car with thrice as much horsepower as my previous one. because it can end deadly if you lose it in traffic. never had problems again since that. what i did? well i did nothing actually, i just did it just like that.
>>
>>27259055
>It's not healthy to completely deny those feelings you're having, and push them entirely onto people around you.

Just this statement proves you have literally no idea what the goal of meditation is.

It has literally *nothing* do with "denying" feelings you're having.
>>
>>27258955
>>27258118

I was about to say that. Actually all of stoicism is worthwhile.

Read Seneca. Also if you want something more straightforward read the Enchiridion from Epictetus, even though It's supposed to be read after a fair amount of studying because some thing written on it can be kind of arbitrary.
>>
>>27259055
Mate, meditation is about accepting these emotions and letting them go. Not denying. Denying is the last thing you want when you meditate.
>>
>>27259055
>>27258946
>>27258686
>>27258604
>>27258484

Get the fuck out of this thread and then get off 4chan you stupid cunt.
>>
>>27258604
>circumceripoor problems
>>
>>27258604
Meditation is not only for circumcised poorfags.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.