[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Compulsive behaviors
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5
File: Kstew.jpg (510 KB, 1918x2560) Image search: [Google]
Kstew.jpg
510 KB, 1918x2560
Do any of you guys suffer from compulsive and injurious behaviors such as compulsive gambling, drinking, skin-picking, or hair pulling?

How has it affected your life, and what would you tell people so they can understand what it's like?

pic unrelated
>>
Feeling compelled to bump my thread
>>
I always suffered from some kind of compulsive behavior like excessive blinking, facial spasms or even self harm.
Got heavily bullied for it during elementary school, especially by the teachers. They even made me stand in front of the class like someone at a freak show.
It made me the "class clown" in order to cope with the humiliation and pretend it was just fun. Even nowadays I can not really open up to somebody and let them through my wall of irony and self ironic comments.
Then I moved on to less obvious or more socially accepted behavior like cutting myself or alcohol.
Eventually I started smoking when I was 16 years old and managed to keep my compulsive behavior channeled through my Nicotine addiction to this day.
>>
>>27257627

>Eventually I started smoking when I was 16 years old and managed to keep my compulsive behavior channeled through my Nicotine addiction to this day.

You're making me want to smoke, man. Fuck.

I quit ages ago.
>>
Yea.

For me it's never been the clinical type stuff like twitches, or OCD, but I've just always been this recklessly indulgent and kind of impulsive person. For some reason I'm just super comfortable saying "I know this bad habit is really destructive and is going to cause me a fuck ton of problems later, but I don't care and am going to do it anyway because fuck it."

Currently, funposting here is my main binge. It's bad enough that it's impacted my life in a seriously negative way. Sometimes I will spend 14 solid hours cycling between boards without eating. Thank god I've never gotten into drugs.
>>
>>27257718
Yeah I know it's bad for me so I started to use a mouth fedora for everyday use.
I still smoke though but managed to get down from six cigs a day to a pack per month.
>>
Hair pulling here. Have bald spots behind my ears. Could be worse.

I pick at scabs on my back too. It's covered in scabs from be scratching my back then picking at them.

Sometimes I wish I had a ton of zits so I could pop them all all the time. I used to date someone who let me pop his bacne but we parted ways and I've been sad without that outlet.
>>
>>27257816
>worrying about six cigs a day

For the love of Mary, you don't need to worry about that until you're like 70. Six a day is kind of getting up there, and I wouldn't advise you smoke anymore than that, but seriously that's not going to do you much damage. If you're worried, get the organic brands without the chemical additives.

99% of people who die from cigarettes smoke 20+ a day for decades
>>
>>27257864
>Hair pulling here.

That's so WEIRD. Why would you do that to yourself?

This is hypocritical coming from me, seeing as I'm someone who's face is covered in scars from pimple picking, but still. Damn that strikes me as weird. I'll never get the appeal of hair pulling.
>>
File: at least pull my hair.png (284 KB, 500x502) Image search: [Google]
at least pull my hair.png
284 KB, 500x502
>>27257864
>>27257925

Yes, I pull my beard almost constantly. I don't always pull the hairs completely out, but they tend to fall out anyways from constant tugging. Or I will try to find the ones that feel "hard" or "crinkled" or just don't feel "right" and I will pluck them from my beard.

I also have this impulsive thing with my eyelashes. If they feel weird suddenly, I will pull on them until one or more come out and then sometimes it will "satisfy" me and other times I have to keep pulling and fucking with them until it feels comfortable enough to leave it alone.

Some people pull their entire scalps bald and eat the hair. Trichotillomania is increasingly becoming common. Olivia Munn has it bad and she said it was caused from social anxiety situations. She's had it for years and none of her eyelashes are real, they're applied before she starts filming and stuff.

It's hard to explain this type of stuff to people who don't understand it. They just think you're fucking retarded or being an idiot. Which makes you more nervous and causes you to be more isolated because you feel anxious and pressured more. It's a vicious fucking cycle and I wish there was more education and advocacy for people who suffer with things like this. It can make your quality of life be close to zero. I know. I'm actually trying to hurry up and finish this post so I can pull on a particular spot of hair on my chin that I've been fixated on for the last 3 or 4 days now.
>>
>>27258677
I guess they call skin picking dermatillomania, too.

Hair pulling still seems weird to me from the angle that, at least with my zit picking, there's like a "reason" to do it: I'm hysterically trying to get rid of the zits at all costs, at all risks.

So, when your face is already fine, and you, for apparently no reason, go out of your way to fuck it up... from my perspective that's just completely nuts.

Like, holy shit. Can't you find some other outlet? Smoke, or eat sunflower seeds.
>>
File: Foot candy.jpg (703 KB, 2254x3000) Image search: [Google]
Foot candy.jpg
703 KB, 2254x3000
>>27256158
Good actress or just foot candy?
>>
i pull my hair, pull out my facial hair as well as constantly play with it, i shake my legs almost constantly, and any time im not doing that im tapping my hands

i pick at my fingernails and pull off the skin on my fingertips although i rarely bite my nails anymore

they are my immediate physical ones, though i have a platitude of external compulsive behaviours as well

my therapist has diagnosed me with adhd very recently but im waiting on a final assessment before it becomes official
>>
>>27258851
>my therapist has diagnosed me with adhd very recently
Meme disease desu

You can "get diagnosed" with adhd for anything.

You've got something else, brother. Beware of pill pushers. Be aware of the organ damage that some of the happy pills cause in the longrun. Independently seek alternative forms of treatment and therapy
>>
compulsive skin picking here. I mainly pick at my face which has turned my regular ugliness into grotesque and unsanitary ugliness. It's very painful and hard to cover up, and I have no idea what to say when people ask me what happened. I've considered buying surgical masks to wear in public so I can go about my business without getting stared at.
>>
>>27258869

im not an idiot and know what im getting into, but thanks for the concern

i have already told her i have almost no intention of being medicated for it as i am currently in the final stages of removing myself from mirtazapine dependance

as for it being a meme disease, perhaps, but ive done my reading and research and this does appear to be the one that ticks the boxes going back to my childhood

the best way i can describe it is having a constant ball of energy in my stomach and i need to do things to release the pressure - now i tend to keep it to semi harmless stuff like the mentioned physical ticks and fucking chicks and the occasional bender on uppers or whatever, but historically i have indulged in more dangerous or socially unacceptable releases
>>
File: Charlie Brown Anxieties.jpg (20 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
Charlie Brown Anxieties.jpg
20 KB, 500x375
>>27258757
To be perfectly honest with you, my hair pulling is the least of my psychological issues. I'm severely disabled and rarely go outside or interact with anyone, even on the phone now. I haven't seen my Son in over 14 months because of my illnesses. There was a major stressful trauma that triggered it all, Christmas 2014, the last time I saw my kid. His Mother has issues as well and we are separated by states, but she can't drive very far away from her house and I can't drive or ride with anyone. Counselors won't come to your home anymore, and even if they did here, I won't let anyone in but my Father and it has to be all prepared and set up or I freak out. One little incident, like the conversation I had with my Father yesterday, the way it devolved into chaos, takes me days or weeks to "process" so I tend to just isolate more and more. Plus, I have a Circadian Rhythm Disorder and my sleep phases are all off. My medication is supposed to be taken on a regular basis and I'm supposed to eat at certain times before and after taking it, but if I'm asleep, I'll get off my schedule and then start it all over again. You want to talk about hell, this is hell. Hair pulling is the very very least of my troubles and gives me just a tiny bit of peace in this hurricane of shit that is my current life. Damn. Just typing this out feels exhausting. FUck.
>>
>>27256158
i have compulsive pussy stench
MI PUSSI SSO SSTIINKII
>>
>>27257891
My mayor problem was the decreased endurance, bad smell and the money.
I know myself and I wouldn't have stayed at six.
>>
File: back or head.jpg (83 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
back or head.jpg
83 KB, 500x500
>>27256158
>or hair pulling?
i do this. found a way to hid it. i just to it to my pubes. cant have hair on head b too long or ill start to do it there. not really affected life.i guess i get ingrown hairs on balls from pulling out hair
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.