[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is self-deprecating humor, and really self-defeatism in general,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2
File: 1456189500812.jpg (266 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
1456189500812.jpg
266 KB, 1280x960
Why is self-deprecating humor, and really self-defeatism in general, so popular these days?

Everyone thinks they're a moron, wears their failures like badges of honor, thinks it's cool to be functionally awkward (both physically and socially), and brags about how lazy they are.

What is going on? In Sparta (dear sweet baby Jesus there are SO many examples I can pull out of my hat but here's one) everyone tried their best to become the ultimate badass-now the opposite seems to be occurring (at least in some segments of society).

Why is it cool to be a retarded, geeky (not the functional geek who is naturally good with numbers, science, and computers and makes $120,000/yr and travels every 3 months), and a piece of human trash?

how many times have you heard people call themselves smart in the past 5 years? Now, how many times have you heard people call themselves stupid in the past 5 years?
>>
>>27249604
if you tell people you're stupid they won't expect anything from you
>>
Because if you say you're intelligent and try to act intelligently, people call you an egotist and shit all over you and "pull your head out of your ass" and "get over yourself".
>>
>>27249604
Mainstream media parades perfect physical specimens who say the right the thing in front of us 24/7

All you can do is admit defeat and hope that Stacey takes pity on uou and swallows your load
>>
File: 1458259274310.jpg (19 KB, 249x230) Image search: [Google]
1458259274310.jpg
19 KB, 249x230
>>27249604
It's because the average person these days is somewhat of a failure in some facets of life. Everyone can be a little awkward, lazy, and stupid. So, they talk about and pretend to be these things in an effort to fit in. How many normies do you know that are intelligent, physically fit in athletic, motivated, rich, and just all around successful? Not that many if you pay attention.

All normies give a fuck about is fitting in, and self-defeatism is a form of relating to the masses and being normal.
>>
>>27249604

It's important to be able to laugh at yourself. Something niggers can't do. It's also a way to preemptively get any potential insults about you out of the way first.

It keeps you humble. It keeps pride and vanity in check.

Also, I've observed just the opposite. More and more people think they're God's gift to the world, that everyone needs to know their opinion on every little fucking thing, that they all deserve to be with 10s and live like millionaires because they're "worth it", and that they deserve to be entertained 24/7, never be bored, and never be unhappy for a split second.

The proliferation of technology has led to increasing narcissism and less empathy.
>>
I think another part is that so many people are mad about making fun of other people even out of jest, like SJW super tards, but they can't stop you from hating yourself.
>>
>>27249865

In a society full of ever-more oppressive "tolerance" where you can't say anything negative about anyone lest it lead to some stupid outrage on Twitter and some trending hashtag, making fun of yourself becomes the last safe bet for humor.
>>
>>27249686
This. Being humble has been taken to the level where people are becoming humble braggarts. Best example is this boards obsession with who is and isn't a "robot".

>"I'm an acne-riddled lanklet kv who hasn't seen the light of day in a month
>"Ha! You think that's bad? Try being a black manlet khhv who hasn't seen the sun in 6 months!"

The humble brag is the new brag for those who have no exceptional skills, and everyone who does have exceptional skills has to either play along or be derided by society for their success. Mike Tyson is a violent meathead to the layman and Stephen Hawking is a pasty nerd cripple. If this country actually valued talent rather than expressed jealousy, for one we'd be the REAL
>>
>>27249961
*we'd be the REAL greatest country on earth and for two the market of paparazzo bullshit would evaporate.
>>
>>27249604
>how many times have you heard people call themselves smart in the past 5 years?
politicians seem to be fond of saying this. haven't seen a one of them with the actions or voting records to back it up so far.

>Now, how many times have you heard people call themselves stupid in the past 5 years?
uh, none? what i do see are people parading their self-diagnosed "anxiety" and "depression" around all over facebook every time something doesn't go perfectly for them. i was medically diagnosed as a dysthymic schizoid when I was 14 years old, but I've never felt like that was anyone's business but my own, and I'm sure as fuck not going to announce it somewhere public with my name attached to it. i get real fucking tired when i see people complaining about how terrible they have it every time their flavor of the month relationshit fails, and how their crippling anxiety makes it oh so rare and impossible to meet new people they actually care about yet somehow every single month they've just been thrown away after yet another fling.
>>
Comedians have always been self deprecating.
With the tv/internet age giving such easy access to comedy, unfunny celebrities, who are worshipped by normans, bring this style of humor into their normie films and tv shows.
Coupled with the perpetuation that girls like "funny" guys and smart, successful men are often ridiculed in media and "stupid" people are praised means everyone thinks being a bumbling oaf who makes fun of himself for being fat and lazy is the pinnacle of hilarity.
>>
>>27249604
I am actually a lazy failure though
>>
>>27250319

There is nothing wrong with self-deprecating humor.

The only people who look down on it are people like braggadocios rappers and thugs on the street who have to constantly inflate their own ego.
>>
>>27249836
Unabomber pls
>>
>>27249604

Because your network is trash. I work in a hedge fund and frankly everyone thinks they are the next ubermenschs
>>
>>27250364
I know, I'm just explaining why I think it's popular.
Self deprecating humour is funny when it comes from a dark place, but most normies dark place is
>I spent all night watching netflix and ate a bag of oreos XD crying face
>>
>>27250371

It's true. People have more narcissism and less empathy. It's become so widespread that narcissistic personality disorder was removed from the DSM.

Why Is Narcissism Increasing Among Young Americans
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/freedom-learn/201401/why-is-narcissism-increasing-among-young-americans

Is Social Media to Blame For the Rise In Narcissism
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/compassion-matters/201211/is-social-media-blame-the-rise-in-narcissism

The Narcissism Epidemic
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-narcissism-epidemic

Is The "Me Generation" Less Empathetic?
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/wired-success/201006/is-the-me-generation-less-empathetic

Empathy Dropped 40% in College Students Since 2000
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/born-love/201005/shocker-empathy-dropped-40-in-college-students-2000

Young Are Less Empathetic
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/what-me-care/

An End to Narcissistic Personality Disorder In DSM-5?
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/stop-walking-eggshells/201012/end-narcissistic-personality-disorder-in-dsm-5

A Fate That Narcissists Will Hate: Being Ignored
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/30/health/views/30mind.html
>>
>>27250509
>psychology

Didn't read, lol
>>
>>27249604
>Why is self-deprecating humor, and really self-defeatism in general, so popular these days?
I can't name a single person other than me who isn't an arrogant "i'm intelligent" fuckwit
>>
>>27249604
>Why is self-deprecating humor, and really self-defeatism in general, so popular these days?
>Everyone thinks they're a moron, wears their failures like badges of honor, thinks it's cool to be functionally awkward (both physically and socially), and brags about how lazy they are.

It's not.

Everyone thinks they're hot shit, that their food needs to be photographed, and that everyone needs to see what their bathroom looks like.
>>
I'd say pressure to do things way above and beyond most people's capability nowadays, i.e. highly technical jobs, social interactions, etc. Is more than ever. Most people in society were meant to dig ditches (myself included), but somehow we are convinced that we are all the great thinkers and minds on our generation. Wake up. As a whole were smarter, but that just means the real smart people will still prevail, social Darwinism is just as relevant today as it was one hundred years ago.
>>

I study for my school tests but I never admit it. I always chat with the class before hand about how were all fucked and were going to fail. Deep down I know I'm going to pass but I complain anyway.

I have a lot more money than people realize, and I prefer to keep it that way. I always complain of being broke and not making enough, but the truth is I make good money. The best kind of wealth is wealth that nobody knows about
>>
>>27252224
I always think of the movie Ants, where they choose if the baby ants are to be destined as workers or solders. That is what our lives SHOULD be like if we were still primitive.
>>
>>27249656
this

I cant even count how many times I got out of doing stuff by claiming incompetence.

>tell people you dont want to do somthing
>they get mad
>tell people you cant do something cause retard
>they give you free shit

Today I just claim incompetency and watch the world burn
>>
>>27249604
Because this generation actually is fucking failures. The media is completely controlled by leftist deconstructionists whose philosophy is basically hedonism and self-worship. The new generation, the millennials, have totally bought this message.

Millennials don't believe in personal accountability or responsibility because the media has perpetuated the message that hedonism is superior to hard work and "outdated values" like those I mentioend. All movies and shows these days depict hedonism as superior to responsibility and hard work. When hedonism is prized over responsibility, nothing productive is ever done. Millennials live an extended adolescence, delaying adulthood into their 30s, while they "PARTYYY xD" in college and do retarded, irresponsible, hedonistic garbage every weekend.

When everyone around you is going to a kegger 2 nights before the big test, when less than 2/3 of all college students ever graduate, when you look in the media and it's all just vulgarity and lolblowjob jokes xD, this low-achievement lifestyle becomes normalized. Everyone becomes comfortable with being irresponsible. It's a badge of honor to these people, because admitting "I'm irresponsible haha" is basically saying "I'm part of the in-group." That's ultimately why they do it, because they see everyone around them doing it and they figure they have to act like an irresponsible twat to be part of the tribe.

It's not rare for me to walk around campus and hear people actually bragging (not just telling, but boasting) about how they failed a big paper because they wrote it when they were smoking weed, or how they failed a big test because they were too busy partying to study, or how one girl they know spent the $10,000 her parents gave her for college in 1 semester on parties and pizza and how she is so fucking cool.
>>
>>27252451
Oh wow you must be so le different than your generation!
>>
>>27252451
m8 you are so fucking retarded, just kys
>>
>>27252501
I'm 55 you dumb fuck. I'm a professor.
>>
>>27252521
Good argument man it changed my life
>>
>>27249604
That's because you, being a robot, probably live in a low cost of living area full of deadbeats. I'm 3 years out of high school and alot of my friends are set to be making 70k+ within 2 years, many others are successfully pursuing their passions.

The belief that society is degrading is typical of someone uneducated to what the past was like,
>>
>>27252530
Bet you're at a shitty college and that's why you see this <3
>>
>>27252530
Bullshit. Unless you wee the 55 year old neet poster earlier...
>>
>>27252451
>le reactionary meme
>le this generation is fucked meme
>>
>>27252451
I agree

My generation is done for no wonder all doctors, engineers, and managers in my country are slowly becoming indian

But atleast we have epic nerrffff battle blaze420 parrttiiiieeezzz
>>
>>27252721
No that's because of a global economy you stupid fucking neet
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.