[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will learning guitar help me ascend robothood?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3
File: guitar-slider.jpg (79 KB, 1280x940) Image search: [Google]
guitar-slider.jpg
79 KB, 1280x940
Will learning guitar help me ascend robothood?
>>
>>27232019
it will be one of the greatest things youll ever do in your poor short life

especially if you really like classic rock and actually learn to play it
>>
I used to be a guitar teacher, and I'm not happy at all.

I will say this: overcoming a perceived "barrier" will make you feel better, so learn some open chords and scales and you'll have achieved something.
>>
No. I've played guitar for over 15 years with professional lessons for the first 7 and I am still a robot.
>>
>>27232019
Transcend, not ascend.
>>
nope. you'll just get depressed, like me, that you'll never, ever be as good as people like John Mclaughlin or guthrie Govan.
>>
>>27232019
if you do decide to learn, take it slow

i practiced too much since i had nothing better to do and now i have cubital tunnel syndrome or some shit, fuck if i know when i'll be able to play again

be smart about it
>>
>>27232112
you were holding the guitar completely wrong if you actually injured yourself

you had your guitar very low when you wore a strap, didn't you? I cringe when I see people do that and especially when they try to play songs that require streches
>>
File: 1457769190866.jpg (41 KB, 708x501) Image search: [Google]
1457769190866.jpg
41 KB, 708x501
>>27232104
>tfw you will never be as good as McLaughlin or Govan

Oh God please don't do this to me.
>>
>>27232179
i thought i held it normally, i would just play it nonstop for weeks on end every day

didn't wear a strap
>>
>>27232104
and even if you do you'll only be as good as people who have already innovated on the genre of guitar centric music, which is now dead in terms of innovation. you'll only be able to be a part of a nostalgia culture, you'll never be the bellwether of modern music as a guitarist, the time has passed, hasn't it?
>>
>>27232239
well something was wrong with your form. I guess you can blow out your wrist from too much practice though

did you ignore the pain in your wrist and just kept playing?

>>27232231
oh I forgot Django reinhardt too. yep. I will never be as good as that man. a man who has two less fingers on his fretting had will always be a better guitarist than me. fuck this world.
>>
>>27232302
I think there's a lot of room for guitar innovation. It just so happens that that innovation entails a bunch of "making a guitar sound nothing like a guitar" stuff.
>>
>>27232019

I'm decent at it, and I'm still a fucking loser. However, if you've got a pretty face, then you could probably see some success.
>>
>>27232231

Just stay simple. Nothing wrong with being bad at guitar if you can learn to write good songs.
>>
>>27232317
Honestly "shred" stuff is just drilling scales and exercises. Practice enough and you'll be able to play masterfully, but writing good songs is something else altogether.
>>
>>27232302
ok youre not an expert on anything stfu m8
>>
>>27232302
there hasn't been much innovation in guitar since maybe the early 90s when shoegaze came around. it's still used in music all over the place, but I doubt there will be anything ground breaking happening with guitar ever again.

the new fad seems to be the two handed type of playing Andy McKee does, but Stanley Jordan was doing that in the 80s so it's nothing new. that type of music sounds like shit anyway.
>>
>>27232317
Nah, one day it didn't hurt and the next I woke up with my pinky and ring finger tingling. Totally out of the blue but I guess that's what happens when you just mindlessly do something for hours on end
>>
>>27232369
I'm actually pretty good at guitar, but like you said I can't write songs worth a shit. Shit sucks.
>>
>>27232380
guthrie is the only shreddy guitarist I enjoy and respect, mostly because he can play fucking anything. theres a video of him playing some whacked out Charlie Parker tune using a looper pedal. he's very impressive and isn't all cheesy want like Steve vai
>>
>>27232019
Gotta search that right tone. The kind of tone that'll make you and others go "wow man!"
>>
>>27232317

Django reinhardt was badass. Thank you for reminding me. I haven't listened to him in a while.
>>
>>27232019
I get no enjoyment from playing other people's music. I have some fun improvising and sometimes recording but I'd never do it for an audience.
>>
>>27232449
I agree, Guthrie is probably the only shredder who is actually good. However, I'd posit that Vai was pretty good when he was with Zappa.
>>
>>27232539
I never really listened to zappa, I did have a year or two where I listened to Vais solo stuff a lot though. I can't really listen to it anymore because it just bores the shit out of me

guthrie is kind of like the ultimate studio guitarist imo. his original music isn't really that good, but when he's a tool to be used in a band he's excellent. the stuff he did with Steve Wilson from porcupine tree is pretty good.
>>
it will make your life somewhat better in and of itself but what effect it has socially depends on what you play.
>>
I tried learning many years ago but I was so bad that practice was just like a really boring chore.
Should I get rocksmith and try again?
>>
>>27232868

Rocksmith isn't going to make your shitty skills any less of a chore.
>>
>>27232393
yea i studied classical guitar in college and there was this one dude who was into the two handed tapping shit. i guess it's interesting from a technique standpoint but the music using it is all really samey and boring
>>
>>27232631
Agreed 100 percent. I'd say the same thing about Vai's time with Zappa, honestly. The only reason he was so good (besides his technique, talent and all that other bollocks) was because Zappa wrote the music he played. Vai really is a good guitarist, very versatile, but his solo albums suck fucking dick.
>>
>>27232877
But then I can get better and hopefully without being so bored.
If only I was better I could probably have fun while playing.
>>
>>27232868
What I did was stop treating guitar like a routine and started playing like I would play a video game. A kid doesn't normally sit down and say they're going to practice a video for an hour, they keep playing it until they get to the next level or feel like they're getting better at the game. Make the game your guitar. I learned that from Zakk Wylde. I'm not the biggest fan of his style, but that was damn good advise for someone like me.
>>
>>27232935
I think I would have to become better before I could do that.
It's not like I can just sit down and play.
When I played I got taught those easy bits in smoke on the water and iron man and those two things were the only things I ever did.
>>
>>27232928

Well if you think it will work for you, then go for it. Just remember to at least learn how to read tablature at aome point. You'll need it if you want to learn anything outside of rocksmith. Also, look into yousician. It's a tablature based learning game, and you can use your rocksmith cable to play it.
>>
>>27233020
I did try learning tabs, I think I could relearn it pretty easily but everything was too hard.
Back in the day most of the music I liked with guitar was really hard (for me) nowadays I also like country where maybe I could find some easier songs. Thanks for the yousician tip
>>
File: Me Chocolate.jpg (42 KB, 600x433) Image search: [Google]
Me Chocolate.jpg
42 KB, 600x433
No, you'll be a compensating little fag who will awkwardly eye a guitar anytime someone is in the room, hoping a time for you to "casually" pick it up and start trying to impress everybody will arise.
>>
>>27233067

Yeah no problem. No matter what kind of music you like, start easy. Don't try playing classical gas on your first go. You gotta work your way up.
>>
>>27232388
name a chord shape or a cookie cutter tuning or a permutation of reverb and effect pedals that hasn't been used to make the guitar sound unique. name a scale, an arpeggio, a technique
to add into your solos that others haven't implemented in better ways than you could. and even then watch nobody want to hear you play it or be impressed that you can shred because they can youtube a 9 year old doing eruption at a 4th grade talent show. I'm not an expert and I'm not hating on guitar music--shit people told the beatles that guitar music was almost out the door--but as a guitar player it drives me literally insane and i feel like it's either i'm trying to imagine a color i haven't seen before or that really all there is to the visible spectrum has been seen.

>>27232393
i feel similarly to the two handed acoustic tapping one-man-band thing as i do about 8+ string guitarists: it's impressive, only in that you'd bother with something so inane, unnecessary, and uninspiring, and starts to get into that field of "okay, you've become great at this really niche instrument (technique in the case of the tapping), and haven't improved as a musician outside of this niche style."
>>
>>27233243
>name a chord shape or a cookie cutter tuning or a permutation of reverb and effect pedals that hasn't been used to make the guitar sound unique. name a scale, an arpeggio, a technique

I agree with you about guitar music lacking innovation, but try not to be so broad.
>>
If you're not playing for the sake of playing and instead wanting attention, you won't get very good. I enjoyed playing for a while, but it got too tedious, so I never progressed past a certain point, which I am fine with.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.