[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I need to learn to defend myself today...There was a homeless
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 9
File: 1416584953-0328.jpg (2 MB, 3793x2865) Image search: [Google]
1416584953-0328.jpg
2 MB, 3793x2865
I need to learn to defend myself today...There was a homeless black man asking me for money and he got aggressive by using his voice loudly.....

I looked on google for a few self defense groups, and all of them are really expensive. As a NEET I don't have much (Want to pay 100 dollars or less).
But what defense should I learn?
>ninjitsu (I might have to look on craigslist)
>karate (The only classes are recommended for little kids)
>tai chi (Can't find)
>tae kwan do (Idk)
>boxing (Little kids)
>kick boxing

Do you think the little kids will make fun of me? I'm 22. I just want to use my muscles

Also is there any defense styles that allow me to take out people in one hit (Like hitting a pressure point or something). I want to be able to take out enemies quickly. Also this will help me lose weight and maybe meet people
>>
>>27221036
kick boxing looks like your only option

try shadow boxing at home. throw punches remembering to keep your hands up. Keep you body slightly curled like a C so it's ready to brace for a body shot.

Muscle memory and good form is most important. that was when shit gets real you'll maintain that good form
>>
>>27221078
keep your head a little low so you can block your chin with your shoulders

don't exaggerate anything. it should feel natural, not overdone
>>
>>27221078
Should I only hit headshots or bodyshots? Also where do I kick with? I will start now
>>
File: KahrCW9-KahrPM9NEWcomparison-1.jpg (79 KB, 645x773) Image search: [Google]
KahrCW9-KahrPM9NEWcomparison-1.jpg
79 KB, 645x773
This is the ultimate self defense fighting style. The almighty gun kata.
>>
Look up the chosonninja, he's revealed all the secrets of ninjutsu all over youtube, for FREE.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ChosunNinja
>>
Krav Maga

Also, as a side note. Get ThT JoJ
>>
>>27221118
kicks are not as important. Punches come first. Aim for head.

just letting you know MA becomes useless when you fight someone big enough
>>
>>27221129
I have Asperger syndrome will they let me have a gun?

>>27221172
Okay i'm checking him out now....
>>
File: 1454980629051.png (152 KB, 426x546) Image search: [Google]
1454980629051.png
152 KB, 426x546
>>27221203
I don't know if you can still get a gun with that, but self teaching martial arts is retarded and will not work. It especially won't work if you're trying to learn retarded ninja shit.

>>27221192
>crab mango
>2deadly4u elite killer operator dick punch eye squeezing
Just get out.
>>
>>27221172
>https://www.youtube.com/user/ChosunNinja
He seems legit but I don't know if he gives tutorials? He seems really wise.
>>27221192
What is Get ThT JOJ
>>
>>27221036
None, just purchase a gun. You're american, take advantage of your rights. You'll need to spend more than 100 dollars though but it's worth it.
>>
>>27221036
If I were to choose one, I'd choose Muay Thai. But not those fancy gyms where they go easy on everybody. A low tier one. Where teachers beat the fuck out of the students. BJJ is pretty nice too. But only as last resort. I'd rather give no chance to be stabbed or bitten during a grap.
>>
>>27221279
I'm not doing ninja shit.
>>27221298
I have autism
>>27221301
Will it hurt
>>
Thai boxing/ kickboxing is the most useful in street situations IMO.

Saying that, if you're a pussy at heart (choose flight over fight naturally) you might as well just hand over your shit and not risk a beating.
>>
>>27221036
>Jiu jitsu, judo,
If you need to defend against one enemy and to learn that fast.
>karate, kung fu...
If you need to defend against more opponents

I'm not saying that Jiu jutsu master couldn't defend against more opponents but it is harder to learn.
You should do martial art, self defence not sport coz the best techniques are forbidden in sport versions.

Also you need to learn to clear your mind coz even if you are strongest one punch goku superman you can lose if you start to thinking and if you are afraid.
Try to sit straight and focus only on your breath, when you start to think about something focus on your breath again.

As workout you should do exercises where you use almost all your muscles (push ups, pull ups, squads) and learn them doing fast.

Why do you need defend yourself?
>>
Use Google and train yourself you fat fucking autist.
>>
File: donald don't play.jpg (269 KB, 497x1280) Image search: [Google]
donald don't play.jpg
269 KB, 497x1280
>>27221036
you are 22 as you said bro.

Martial arts are for high school kids.

As an adult you should use pipe bombs or guns.
>>
>>27221036
I'm partial to Tae Kwon Do, because I did it when I was younger. But if they don't have you break boards, they are shit and you need to find a new place - You want an actual TKD school, not an olympic speed tap bullshit school.
>>
>>27221442
A black man scared me today so I want to be ready.
>>27221397
What if I've never been in a fight or flight situtation how can i tell?
>>27221460
How?
>>27221514
I can't buy a gun I have autism
>>
File: image.jpg (59 KB, 960x474) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
59 KB, 960x474
>>27221036

Shaolin Kempo Karate

If you can find a gym or program that has it for older people (not kids)

If not then I suggest getting a full size punching bag and hand wraps. Just wail on it constantly it will build your strength and endurance. Look up how to wrap your hand properly though

Also do push-ups, sit-ups, a few basic yoga poses, and maybe run a mile every other day or so.

Finally, if you don't want to get a gun, just carry a folding knife concealed. They're legal if the blade is not over 4 inches
>>
>>27221397
This. Thai boxing is the best for street fighting. Training isn't easy tho. You will get hurt but it will toughen you up.
>>
Brazilian jiu jitsu or some other form of grappling. you are probably a skinny NEET not really in form for boxing, but anyone can grapple, and grapplers will beat strikers almost every time assuming you're both basically untrained
>>
>>27222577

What knife is in the picture?
>>
>>27222667
I don't want to discourage OP from grappling because it is viable but on the ground in a street fight with a stranger you're better off gushing out their eyes, striking their throat, or trying to rip off their ears
>>
>>27221036
krav maga. it was designed to kill and exploit weak points. you could also use a collapsible baton.
>>
>>27221036
It's called concealed carry bro.
Unless you're a yuropoor where the 2nd doesn't apply cause of faggot leaders and their bans.
>>
>>27221036

If you're legit worried about self-defense, you should probably save up and buy a gun. It'll be the least demanding of your time/skills. Don't know about money, though; I'd go ask the fine folks at /k/.

Actually, take this whole thread to /k/, self-defense is basically their raison d'etre.
>>
>>27221118
>>27221194
No dude don't listen to this guy, I've trained several years in a variety of martial arts including Kick Boxing, tae kwon do and Judo.

You will have so much more use of kicks, I say that as someone who has trained tae kwon do for 5 years, if he's taller you can still get even by using kicks since they're way longer than your arms. Go for the solar plexus, legs, ribs or just go for the balls. If you're fit you may even have a chance to hit his head.

Punches only work when you get close enough, I'm just gonna assume that you're a manlet because you browse this board. If you're kicks are too weak you can use punches as they are much easier to aim with a punch rather than a kick. While fighting you're gonna have to move alot.

Just fight dirty
>>
>>27221036
Hapkido
>>
>>27221036
Pop them in the mental foramen
>>
>>27222733
Batons are illegal to carry concealed
>>
>>27222667
You want judo, not BJJ. Not only is it cheaper, but it focuses more on standing grappling, which means you stand a better chance of escaping. Pulling guard doesn't save you from getting your head kicked in by somebody else.

>>27222729
None of that ninja shit ever works in practice. Judo throw or wrestling takedown, run away.
>>
>>27222729

Most fights end up on the ground anyways, look at any video of a street fight.
>>
>>27222880

Most BJJ gyms teach judo as well... and most fights end up on the ground, especially street fights. Ground grappling is infinitely more important. Ideally get on their back, choke them unconscious, stomp on their knees and then fuck off .
>>
>>27221036
Rex Kwon Do. Just break the wrist and walk away.
>>
>>27221036
Do tae kwon do
As far as I know (trained for about 7-8 years) it's 33% body control, 33% strength/stamina and 33% mental stuff
>>
Just get strong by lifting, learn the basic punch and stance (always keep your feet apart, etc), and once you feel confident enough not to kill yourself with it carry a knife (and remember never to pull it out if outnumbered, just run in that case).
>>
>>27222789
punches are more important. If the opponent gets too close for kicks you'll be a helpless baby.

you think you're just gonna roundhouse someone all day from a safe distance without getting punched in the face? or are you gonna lay them out with one kick like bruce lee? It's not gonna happen. They can just bull rush you.

look at ufc fighters. If kicks were all that it would be used more thn punching, but in there kicks are mainly used as a kick when they're too afraid to get in close. It's not gonna help. I'd done tkd 2 years and bjj one year. I'm telling you boxing is waaaay better than either
>>
File: ruckus.gif (2 MB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
ruckus.gif
2 MB, 512x384
>>27221036
What happens when homeless black man actually turns out to be uncle ruckus? You're going to have to stomp him in the nuts.
>>
>>27222919
>most fights end up on the ground, especially street fights
Yes, but that doesn't mean you should stay there. BJJ is basically judo that's specialized for conclusively winning one-on-one fights. Street fights are rarely one-on-one, and rarely have a clear winner. Judo gives you more chance of escaping for less training, so long as you don't try anything too flashy.
>>
>>27221036
ninjitsu boyyyy
>>
I've done boxing and mma, then back to boxing. On and off for almost 5 years now. Guess what, it has been a big waste of time. I don't even go out so I don't really need to know how to defend myself. It took up my entire life when I was really into it. Being in shape is nice but hasn't gotten me laid. Also sucks when you see a guy that has trained half as long as you and is already better. I feel like I can fuck up 90% of men in a street fight yet it doesn't mean anything. A good looking rich kid that can't fight is still living a way better life than me...
>>
>>27221279
This whole "you can't teach yourself martial arts" thing is ridiculously stupid. You can teach yourself just about anything else by using the internet, why would this be an exception?
>>
It's 2016 bro. Just get a gun. A lot of states are passing fuck the second amendment but here's something like it laws. Maybe you're one of the lucky few who have constitutional carry, a very weak for of gun rights where you can carry concealed without having to suck Obama's dick first.
>>
>>27223139
because you need another person to practice with

you gonna get good at slipping punches without one ever getting thrown at you?
>>
>>27223116
>I learned to fight so I can get laid
>>
>>27222860

They're also not terribly effective without training. But if you were dedicated to this kind of idea and don't mind fedora jokes, you can carry a walking stick with a metal knob at one end and use that very effectively.

But really, if you're going to carry a weapon for self defense, it should be a gun. It requires so much less of you physically and is far more effective than any other kind of weapon you can carry.

>>27222882

Most street fights are untrained, too. I think the best grappling training you can learn for self-defense out on "the streets" is how to avoid it, because getting locked in one place is the worst thing you can do against multiple opponents, which you can't and shouldn't ever count out. Assume the worst, hope for the best.
>>
>>27221036

OP, post this thread on /asp/. It looks like it's all pro wrestling garbage, but there are some martial artists there that would answer your question much better.
>>
>>27223232
Op just needs to learn wing chun. It suits people with aspergers die to hyperembolism
>>
>>27223064

>BJJ is basically judo that's specialized for conclusively winning one-on-one fights.

which is exactly the scenario OP is describing

> Street fights are rarely one-on-one, and rarely have a clear winner.

there's no form of martial arts that will let OP fight off multiple people without years of training and conditioning his body, thats just unrealistic. If there is more then one attacker your best bet is to always run away, and if they try to block him only thing that will help OP is raw strength and agility. I'd rather finish the fight when it goes to the ground then go back to round two of wildly swinging punches at each other or giving them a chance to find a weapon. BJJ will best equip him to hurt the attacker quickly and gtfo the scene without being hurt himself like if he tries some bruce lee shit
>>
>>27223228
>Most street fights are untrained, too. I think the best grappling training you can learn for self-defense out on "the streets" is how to avoid it, because getting locked in one place is the worst thing you can do against multiple opponents, which you can't and shouldn't ever count out. Assume the worst, hope for the best.

What exactly is going to help OP in a situation with more then one attacker beyond a gun? Without years of training there is no martial art that will help him fight off multiple people easily
>>
File: c6e4e8b0-6fbf-0afd.jpg (21 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
c6e4e8b0-6fbf-0afd.jpg
21 KB, 1024x768
Sorry for coming late in your thread OP , but if you can't have a gun this is the only correct answer. It will break bones if you hit legs. don't aim for the head though. also get a decent brand like ASP or bonowi. Knifes are shit cause they don't have any range.
>>
>>27223269
>I'd rather finish the fight when it goes to the ground
Even if they're untrained, you can't rely on finishing it quickly, especially if they're bigger than you. And if you break somebody's arm (and it will be obvious if you do), you're certain to seriously anger all their friends. Then you really will be in a maximum aggression fight.

Your first judo lesson will teach you how to fall onto a hard surface without breaking any bones. This is hugely valuable.

Your second lesson will teach you how to trip somebody effectively while remaining standing. This is also extremely valuable.
>>
>>27221036
>>ninjitsu (I might have to look on craigslist)
>>karate (The only classes are recommended for little kids)
>>tai chi (Can't find)
>>tae kwan do (Idk)
>>boxing (Little kids)
>>kick boxing

No to all of those really. Ninjitsu is a meme and the teach is likely a 50 year old pedophile who got his black belt from Wal mart, like you said most other martial arts are for kids, boxing is one part of learning to defend yourself as is kickboxing.

You have to make sure though that the boxing/kickboxing gyms and its coaches are legitimate. You also want another martial art that deals with takedown defense and throws like Judo or Sambo.

>>27222880
This.

>>27222919
>>27223064
>>27223269

BJJ is a sport. That's why it's such a huge sport of the UFC and MMA. Of course there are aspects of BJJ that are useful in a street fight like takedown defense, but those can be found in something like Judo or Sambo or even Wrestling. When training in BJJ, OP is going to be training his body and mind to roll around on the padded gym mats, and then when he actually fights in the street he's going to break his spine while pulling guard over a concrete curb and looking for an omoplata
>>
>>27221036
jiu jitsu is best
>>
>>27223355
Well unless he's cornered by 5 rapists in a bathroom stall, he always has the option to run away. Grappling martial arts like BJJ are terrible for that because it involves going down on the ground with your attacker.
>>
>>27223526
Jiu Jitsu isn't very good in a street fight. It's good as a sport for MMA.
>>
>>27223510
>>27221036

Oh and also despite it come from Shekel-land, Krav-Maga is a no-bullshit self-defense system, not mso much a martial art and even less a sport.
>>
>>27223355

Actually, the first trick to fighting multiple people is pretty straightforward, don't get surrounded. People will naturally try to surround you; not even for any strategic reason necessarily but just because they can't hit you if their friend is in the way; so the way to do that is to keep moving, usually by retreating. There's a somewhat well-known video with a boxer fighting multiple people and he does exactly that the entire video; he dodges backward, staying out of grapple range, and throws out a fist when he sees a safe spot. He kept moving and thereby escaped getting the shit kicked out of him.

That's why grappling is a sketchy idea in any situation like that, because rolling around on the ground with someone obviously prevents you from maintaining mobility. It's not really possible to do both at the same time.

But as you mention, it's another good reason to just buy a gun if you're seriously concerned about your own safety.
>>
why yall even talking anymore?>>27223407
gave the answer. Wonder why police forces use those instead of learning krav maga?
>>
File: Judo01cropped.jpg (70 KB, 750x984) Image search: [Google]
Judo01cropped.jpg
70 KB, 750x984
>>27223728
The trouble with boxing is it takes a long time to get good at it (all the while slowly accumulating brain damage), and you're at a huge disadvantage if you're smaller.

Here's the best judo throw, the osotogari. You can master it in a tiny fraction of the time it takes to get good at boxing. It's simple and highly effective against untrained people, even if they're bigger than you.
>>
>>27223783
Because they can legally carry those, and guns - and they're also trained in self-defense.

Also you can forget your baton or knife or gun or lose it or drop it or have it taken from you.

Why do you think Israeli soldiers have M4 assault rifles, but also learn Krava Maga? Why do you think Russian soldiers have AK74 but also learn combat sambo? etc.

Not learning an empty-handed self-defense system is akin to walking around with your pants around your ankles.
>>
>>27221036
Learn Jiu jitsu famalam. If you learn correctly, you don't need to be a buff chad to grapple and flip someone
>>
Self defense classes are a money spinner to keep gyms open for people to learn actually fighting arts. There is no magic moves to defend yourself only fighting.

So you want boxing or kickboxing/muay thai.

That said wrestling/grappling is way better and more fun in my opinion. I absolutely love it. So Judo, Ju Jutsu, wrestling are an option too.

Of that list I would say Kickboxing>Boxing>Karate>TKD>Ninjutsu for actual fighting but I would actually do Ninjutsu or Tai Chi for a fun hobby.

Maybe TKD for the showy kicks and gymnastics.
>>
>>27223979
You can carry it , as long as it's not directly accessible. like deeply hidden in your bag , and closed.

what you said next is true but normal people may not have the time/money/physical capacity to learn self defence.

Anyways , in a fight with an autist with a baton against a boxer or a krav maga practicer , i'd bet on the autist anytime.
>>
What's that meme/scam "martial art" which claims it's all commando training and shit and just has idiots falling over at the slightest touch
>>
File: 1365748210606.jpg (89 KB, 500x521) Image search: [Google]
1365748210606.jpg
89 KB, 500x521
>>27221036
>ninjitsu
>craigslist

lurk >>>/asp/
TL;DL
In my area classes run ~$60/month, you shouldn't have much trouble staying under budget.

Any school worth going to should have some young adult students. Kids and old people are just there for exercise.

Pressure points are overrated, but a good boxing punch can stun or KO and a judo throw will slam them on the concrete.

The main rule of thumb is that the best way to learn how to fight is to actually practice fighting.
Step-by-step drills are a necessary teaching tool, but are only the first step. Styles that practice for competition and engage in hard sparring are the best for this.
That being said, I did enjoy how my ninjutsu training addressed the psychological aspects of self-defense. But without supplementing it with intense sparring it would be useless.

Try a free trial class at several schools and ask about sparring and competition.
Good luck
>>
>>27224144
Krav Maga?

original comment re
>>
>>27224144
>>27224206

The 'chi' knockouts, you mean?

Some americuck.
>>
>>27221036
muay thai is one of the best choices because it's literally kickboxing with dirty tricks that can devastate your opponent(knees and elbows).
I don't know about the prices in USA but usually it's cheap compared to other martial arts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4syzkrgRNZo
>>
>>27224206
It's much memier than that

>>27224244
Nah, it's definitely not Asian. Remember a few Eastern European vids of it on youtube, but can't find them unfortunately. There's a name for it.
>>
>>27221036
Steer clear of Ninjitsu and BJJ, they're memes and have minimal real life application unless you're carrying several knives or fighting on a bouncy castle.

Focus on either Western Boxing on Muay Thai with a little bit of Judo for grappling (which, while overemphasized in MMA is necessary to know the very barebones)

Also, I know that /asp/ loves to shit on anything Chinese but if you can find a decent Shaolin place (NOT a McDojo), the agility conditioning they drill you on is fucking intense, plus some of the moves are pretty nifty if you take the whole air of mysticism with a pinch of salt.
Interesting fact, most Kung Fu unarmed shit was intended to be predominantly holistic, with the weapon forms being the pragmatic stuff. No Shaolin monk would ever be seen without his bo staff, and would rely on Bojutsu (actually legit) to win fights rather than kicking and punching
>>
>>27224144
>>27224206
>>27224244

Found it!

Systema
>>
>>27224106
>You can carry it , as long as it's not directly accessible. like deeply hidden in your bag , and closed.

Yeah but then that defeats the purpose of having it ready at a moment's notice for a street fight.

>what you said next is true but normal people may not have the time/money/physical capacity to learn self defence.

I have. Plenty of martial arts gyms/dojos even have specific self-defense courses if you want to skip doing katas or doing guard-pulling drills for hours on end.. As long as the gym and teacher are legit, it is easy and affordable and takes very little time.

>Anyways , in a fight with an autist with a baton against a boxer or a krav maga practicer , i'd bet on the autist anytime.

A weapon is just an extension of your body. If you don't know how to use your body, you won't know how to use that weapon. Especially if you learned how to fight from watchin WWE wrestling and Jackie Chan movies and Naruto.

>>27224144
Dim Mak, and maybe also Kenpo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi3t1yVE-gk
>>
>>27224371
>Dim Mak

Someone takes JCVD films a little too serious
>>
I get it, you have violent chad revenge fantasies. These will never happen in real life, move on anon.
>>
In all seriousness, get your ass into Shaolin Kung Fu. It's fully comprehensive AND fast paced, and can easily be combined with other martial arts AND you can even personalize it.
>>
>>27224396
It's a huge scam/industry in the states, and itself is just a symptom of "McDojo" where fat middle-aged men claim to have 8 different black belts from 10 different Shaolin and Ninja masters.

Although these days McDojos are more focused on MMA and the UFC, where those same cheeseburger-eating Ninja masters suddenly have years of vague experience fighting in totally underground cage matches that actually don't exist and everyone has trained under a Gracie

>>27224338
ayyy that's the one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbmOnDwjdNI

but yeah dim mak and American kenpo are also loads of shite
>>
>>27224423
>Shaolin Kung Fu
>self defense

u wot m8.

There's a 34th generation Shaolin Monk who actually ran away from China in the 90s while the monastery was on tour in California. He eventually settled in new York and opened his own temple, at first in a small studio in NYC and then it got bigger and bigger and he started training Hollywood stars and members of the Wu tang clan and Mike Tyson and other celebrities, now he has a proper temple in upper New York State as well as the school in NYC.

You know what he says to potential students who want to learn how to fight?

"I don't teach you how to fight. If you want to learn to fight, go train with Yoda"

Shaolin Kung Fu is great as a form of exercise and meditation and keeping that ancient warrior-monk tradition alive, but a self-defence system it is not.
>>
Even if you don't want to beat up Chad, martial arts are great for robots.

>the one sport where you don't have to worry about being picked last since it's not a team sport at all
>Great excuse to leave the house
>Actually getting some exercise
>Increase your self-confidence and self-worth
>Get all of your REEEEEE energy out
>Connect with random people you otherwise have nothing in common with.
>Potentially make friends and meet girls
>>
>>27224940

Worth noting, though, the best exercise classes to meet women at are yoga classes. They're all 90% female.
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.