[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw will be going to university in the UK in 6 months >live
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 8
File: 55316dd969fca.jpg (211 KB, 640x611) Image search: [Google]
55316dd969fca.jpg
211 KB, 640x611
>tfw will be going to university in the UK in 6 months
>live with parents, never even moved house in my life

I'm scared shitless lads. How do I not be an autist for once in my life and make friends? Any university stories to share?
>>
Well first off everyone is going to be feeling the same way and the only thing they know about you is your first impression. So this is probably the easiest social experience you will ever have as it's all preparation and very little delivery.

All you need is decent clothes and an expensive haircut (just this once in your life) and you could be a normie within days.

Posture is important, smiling and being friendly is too (all you need to do to win most people over is have good hygiene and laugh at their jokes).
>>
Just pray they put you in some sort of tutor group lad.
Then you don't even need to do anything since you will already have a friend group.
>>
That image always makes me kek. Which uni m8? I'm going too and will probably be friendless loser desu.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (133 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
133 KB, 1280x720
>>27216852
Aberystwyth

>>27216809
I might force myself to join a club, at least.

Hopefully I can take basic care of myself without fucking up
>>
>>27216917
I was considering applying there but didn't end up doing it. What course you doing? Least it looks like a comfy place senpai.
>>
It's basically sixth form 2.0, you get about a month before the cliques form in both halls and your classes. If you're not averse to drinking and you're not completely unsocial then you'll manage to find your feet but if not then you're going to have a super bad time of it for the next few years.
>>
>No MMOs or MOBAs
>Join some clubs at school
>If you're in a dorm leave your door open when you're chilling or studying. People will pop in to say hi.
>Don't visit your parents more than one weekend a month
>>
File: 1442702285679.gif (457 KB, 390x293) Image search: [Google]
1442702285679.gif
457 KB, 390x293
>>27216917
>Aberystwyth
Not 852 here.
I got accepted there 2 days ago, it's only 1/5 options so far but I might go there, what subject you picking up?
Computer Science here, studying in September.
I'll be your pal if I go
>>
File: 1429821474352.png (42 KB, 800x670) Image search: [Google]
1429821474352.png
42 KB, 800x670
>>27216713
I moved to the UK from abroad to attend uni a couple of years ago. The best advice I can give you..
>Get to know your flatmates, talk to them, be interesting. They could very well be your best friends, or at least acquintances
>JOIN SOCIETIES. I cannot stress how important this is. You'll meet 98% of your future friends in society events. Doesn't matter if it doesn't interest you that much, just join them. And no, I'm not talking about the Anime and Manga Society
>Sports. I assume you're not a chad, so take up some relaxed sport that you don't have to play competetively. My uni has stuff like diving, hillwalking, floorball, netball, ultimate frisbee and underwater hockey that accept all new players. You'll also make new friends.
>>
>>27217000
>>27217057
I'm doing english literature because I'm a gigantic faggot, but it's pretty fun so w/e

Being by the sea might be nice, at least

>>27217020
>never got drunk before in my life
how fucked am I
>>
>>27217092

Animu clubs are okay if you just sit in the back and watch the shows. Don't get sucked into the social circle though. It tends to be a lot of crazy weeb girls and their orbiters.
>>
>>27217132
>never got drunk before in my life
Buy some beer and get drunk in your room so you know what to expect. Also learn to know your limits.

Alcohol is going to be a massive part of your freshers' week whether you like it or not, and nobody likes teetotallers. I had to drink a bowl of gin-whiskey-coke-VKD-vodka mix in a drinking game, ugh.

T. >>27217092
>>
>>27217168
You can watch your Cambodian cartoons back home. The thing is that you do not want to get involved in those weirdo circles if you want to have a proper social life.
>>
>>27217132

If you're teetotal you will be judged, that's the reality. Freshers Week has that unilad wanker vibe running through it but as long as you sort of go along with the drinking you'll be fine.
>>
File: 1457066735921.jpg (576 KB, 1280x1912) Image search: [Google]
1457066735921.jpg
576 KB, 1280x1912
Remember that during the first two weeks, everyone is in the same boat as you. By that I mean, everyone is friendless and afraid. The only (insignificant) exception to this is small groups of people, usually duos, who know each other from school (and these friendship groups usually don't last through university).

Because everyone is friendless and afraid, virtually everyone will be receptive toward you. This can be a very hard fact to wrap your head around but even Chads and Staceys will at least politely respond to you during this time if they're not sociopaths. It's because everyone is desperately afraid of stepping on the toes of a potential friend or looking bad in front of other potential friends.

You should use this open, forgiving social atmosphere to your advantage. For those first two weeks, you will be able to go to virtually any gathering of new students and be on a completely level playing field for making new social connections. You will be able to spark a conversation with anyone, male or female, with "Hi, I'm [anon]. What are you studying?".

During those first few weeks you want to cast a wide net. Meet as many people as you can, get your face known, spend nights out with as many diverse groups as you can. You don't have to remain friends with everyone (and you won't) but the more people you meet, the more chance you have of clicking with some people.

The first week will cause your mind and body extreme strain as every fibre of your spergy self strains to resist socialization and drinking every night. But you must do it. This is the last clean slate you will be given in life (short of moving to a new country). No one there knows you, no one knows you were a colossal gimp in school; you are what you want to be.

Continued in Part 2 . . .
>>
File: 1457292624464.jpg (172 KB, 914x1212) Image search: [Google]
1457292624464.jpg
172 KB, 914x1212
>>27217256
Part 2:

When normies spout "fake it 'til you make it", it usually means nothing since everyone around you knows you're faking. But no one knows who you are in the first two weeks when you're new. I know people who were the gimpiest gimps in school who just said fuck it and faked a normie persona at uni and literally became sex-having normies that easily.

This guy's >>27216761 advice about getting an expensive haircut is actually really good. A decent haircut and well-fitted clothes will make you the most confident version of yourself.

For nights out, it is imperative that you know your limits with alcohol. Right now, before you go to uni, buy a 35cl bottle of vodka and spend a night going through it, mix by mix, until you comfortably understand what gets you buzzed, what gets you drunk and what has you throwing up. In the first week there will be thousands of people, gimps and prudes mainly, who have never gone hard with booze. They will be an absolute state (and could possibly be remembered for it). Do not let this be you. If you're comfortably buzzed and some topLAD is telling you to get shots or "down this [questionable mixture]" then don't. But do drink, just be smart about it.

Seriously m8 just put yourself out there. Those first two weeks will be the most receptive social environment you will ever occupy in your life. You do not want to be sitting in your room blogging on /r9k/ during those weeks; you want to be out there as much as you can and only use your room for sleeping and work for Week 1. University is filled with PRIME teen pussy and you can genuinely get access to it if you are willing to make yourself uncomfortable at the start and force yourself to become a normie. When you are older you will gladly tear off your left nut for the prospect of having sex with a smart, fit, 17 year old girl.

Good luck, friend.
>>
File: photo.jpg (69 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
69 KB, 900x900
Hope its not this shit heap
>>
>>27216713
Sit in the front of the class, don't bring your laptop so you pay attention. The people sitting in the front are probably the students that care about learning in the class. Make friends with them. Your ice breaker is the class since they self selected themselves by sitting in front, this will probably work. "Hey, wanna do the homework?" "Hey what do you think of X?" Get a study buddy or group. Bam, friends and a rose colored campus life.
>>
>>27216713

I'm in the same scenario, but going to a university in SC. Perhaps there is still hope for us.
>>
Hahahahaha if you've never drank before you're fucked.

There's no way you will survive the opening weeks if you can't knock back drinks.
>>
>>27217385
But he can still be the wacky lightweight drunk guy r-right?
>>
>>27217245
>>27217385
Shit man now I'm anxious
I'm a really skinny person, so I'm almost definitely a lightweight too

>>27217256
>>27217271
You're doing gods work Anon. Thanks
>>
>>27217256
>>27217271

This is legit advice OP. Especially the part about casting a wide net. It's difficult, but at least if you embarrass yourself you'll probably never see most of the people you meet in fresher's week ever again.
>>
>>27217245

Exchanges of food and drink are important cultural rites. Refusing to partake makes people think you're a sperglord.

You can nurse a drink over a long period. You don't have to binge if you don't want to. But just have -something-. Opt for beer over liquor if you don't want to get hammered. Same goes with food, btw. Don't be that one faggot who hates tons of food he's never tried and never wants to try that new Thai place.
>>
>>27217439

The entire lad bro culture in the UK revolves around drinking.

The first few weeks people will be playing drinking games, doing initiation traditions, penalising errors with drinks, etc.

If if you plan to just nurse one or two beers they will quickly realise you're a pussy when playing see games. If you get completely fucked which you will if you don't drink normally, you'll most likely make an arse out of yourself and/or vomit.

On the bright side though, there will be other people in this situation too. And who knows maybe a few beers will help you be social by calming your nerves and removing your inhibitions.
>>
File: 234.gif (64 KB, 600x337) Image search: [Google]
234.gif
64 KB, 600x337
>>27217553
>>27217444
The first few weeks are going to kill me for sure, christ

At least I'm used to making a fool of myself anyway
>>
Are there many robots at uni or is it all just normies?
>>
Lucky fella, my friend is just graduating from running the Aber anime and RPG clubs. If you like nerdy shit like warhammer, LARP, tabletop games, video games, anime, you picked the right uni. It's nerd central.

But how will you meet them if you stay huddled in your room? Go to as many freshers events as you can. Talk to people. Even terrible normies! You don't have to spend all your time with them, but just remember. You're surrounded by new people. Don't let yourself be disgusted by them because of r9k memes. This is your single biggest chance to make friends. Do your best. I believe in you!

Enjoy that fucking hill.
>>
>>27216713
>I'm scared shitless lads
I am just imagining how you sound in irl with your british accent
>>
>>27216713
Oi mate it's not that bad. I'm kinda autistic myself but living alone isn't that bad. Btw I'm from Germany so I know how university works.
You can jerk off whenever you want that pretty nice. You should ask your mom now to teach you how to cook. Easy stuff like spaghetti (already in your pants) or some meat shouldn't be that hard. My university is around 2 hours away from my parents home, but I go there every weekend to get the laundry done. My PC is at my parents, I really hate this but if it would be in my apartment I wouldn't study anything.
Hope I could help you.
>>
>>27218465
>like spaghetti (already in your pants)

kek
>>
>>27216917
Visited aber uni before.

It's really peaceful and nice. Enjoy your time.
>>
>>27217651

You'll be fine mate. It's just the chads that do the drinking initiation shit.

Plenty of geeky people around and plenty of people who won't drink that much, just find them.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.