[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Musicians only ;)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (137 KB, 604x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
137 KB, 604x640
Do any of you guys make music? If, so what kind do you make and why?
>>
Pic related is my next album cover: a concept album about a worlds.com user.
>>
Progressive house/idm (though I dislike the term). I enjoy it.
>>
File: 1421998863921.png (2 MB, 797x897) Image search: [Google]
1421998863921.png
2 MB, 797x897
I'm trying to make music influenced by dissociatives, like ketamine, DXM, and MXE. Never heard music like that, so I'd be exploring new grounds. It's hard to get the right sound and lyrics for it though.
>>
>implying there are musicians on r9k except a few edgy piano/guitar players
>>
>>27208258
>about a worlds.com user
w2c
>>
Metal with heavy ambient and atmospheric layers

It's the only style I can truly have fun in
>>
>>27208233
I play guitar, but I suck, working on it though.
>>
I mostly play mandolin these days. Usually play jigs, reels and that sort of stuff. Im not good enough for bluegrass yet but im working on it. Use to play drums and guitar too. Mostly metal, punk and folk stuff. I was always too stupid for anything more than those genres.
>>
>>27208312

Probably during my spring break (3ish weeks). The original concept was about a paralyzed computer programmer who created a robot to grant him immortality, but the current back story is about a shut-in worlds.com user who belives the real world is becoming virtual or "not real" and worlds.com is his only way to communicate with real human beings.

My Bandamp: https://willowedwit.bandcamp.com/releases
>>
Been playing jazz guitar since i was 17,(24 btw) I think I'm pretty decent, been in 2 gigs since
>>
Generic soundcloud rapper/producer
>>
>>27208445
yeah your second idea cooler imo
bookmarked senpai
>>
I play piano and make hip hop beats, but I really want to make shoegaze or dream pop, something with a ton of reverb and other effects. However, I'm shit at guitar, and can't afford pedals anyways.

I want to make hip hop that's inspired by Have a Nice Life and Ride, I guess. Something dreamlike and hazy, dark but optimistic.

My problem is I clutter my tracks, making them hard to rap over, or at least I've been told. It's something I'm working on.
>>
breakcore/idm/post-rock shit
>>
>>27208287
>nobody on /r9k/ is a musician
I work professionally in various jazz bands/ concert bands via conducting or playing the clarinet/sax/violin
>>
This song is my magnum opus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QbYLBSwU3o
>>
>>27208593
whoa, really? can you post photo of your sax please? that instrument makes me really hard.
>>
i make industrial hardcore on fl studio, though i don't have any finished tracks because i'm a shitty excuse of a musician
i've been told that the short clips of unfinished tracks i post on soundcloud are pretty good though
>>
>tfw i killed the thread
i'm sorry op
>>
I spent like 5 years playing the bass guitar daily with basically no progress. I'm just too clumsy to make it do what I want. I eventually quit due to frequent hand pain in addition to the sucking. Plus I have pretty bad stage fright, which I found out when I went to jam with some strangers and couldn't play any of my material without butchering it. Tried vocals, that didn't work either since my body (including my vocal chords) is freakishly dry for some reason. 30 seconds of falsetto would leave my voice raspy and useless for the next hour.

Nowadays, I try to like things I'm good at, instead of being good at the things I like.
>>
>>27209024
5 years is a lot of time anon what was your daily practice? you still practice?
>>
>>27208512
Hook it up with a link
>>
>>27209086
30 min to an hour each day. I quit years ago.
>>
File: Suppertime Moonman.jpg (684 KB, 1467x1708) Image search: [Google]
Suppertime Moonman.jpg
684 KB, 1467x1708
https://suppertimemoonman.bandcamp.com/releases

I've got a few songs written, but only have been able to record one demo so far. I'd really appreciate some feedback since I don't really have anyone to play this for. I know my vocals are pretty shitty, but it's just a demo.
>>
>>27209170

https://soundcloud.com/ssj-chad-marco

dropping a fire mixtape at the end of the month
>>
>>27209223
nice! I liked Breezy a lot.
>>
>>27209024
practice is an art. One does not simply do the same thing over and over and call it practice. You must work with the guitar and not against it stubbornly. I play all instruments, mostly write prog and some junk. If music is not progressive or innovative, it's probably that same song that everyone else plays (implying most songs are identical. Falsetto is bad for everyone, not real singing, but cool (painful) effect. If you continue "liking the things you're good at in stead of being good at the things you like", you'll never learn anything new and regress to being an eating-pooper, or worse, a pooping-eater. If your hand hurts, it may not be that you are a weak human. It may be your guitar. You should get a better guitar, or have yours set up. Bad instruments ruin too many musicians. I would know, I'm a repairman...
>>
>>27209184
interesting song, I like it
>>
I want to get to making my own music, but I'm not sure where to start. Any suggestions? I already have a keyboard/mic and shit
>>
>>27209528
Tascam portastudios are pretty cheap for what they do. That's what I used for this >>27209184
If your keyboard has midi you can just record it through your computer.
>>
>>27208703
Not him, but if I had my baritone sax on me I'd post a pic 4u, I only have my poorly cared for alto.
Side note, anyone on here wanna start a group for r9k musicians? We can talk about music, ask for musicians to help on our own tracks, cover some shit together, give critiques. Anyone interested?
>>
>>27209992
sure, sounds fun

robo
>>
>>27210114
where should we organize? titanpad/etherpads have been really good the last few times i tried something like this, and steam or skype is always an option
>>
Whatever I feel like making in Finale Songwriter.

Soundcloud is thraviol-enduril
>>
would anyone recommend a tascam 4 track for recording songs? I honestly don't really like using daws a whole lot
>>
i've spent the past few months making an album by myself in my dorm. lo-fi, indie rock kinda stuff, sort of sad, idk. i play all the instruments, including guitar, piano, drums, bass, and vocals. got a couple shows coming up in my local college town, so that's cool.
>>
>>27210429
>shows coming up
>i play all the instruments
should be interesting
>>
>>27210452
ha, forgot to mention i got some friends to play with me live. been rehearsing a set with them for a few weeks now
>>
>>27210429
Hey man, I'm trying to write songs but I'm trying to find a decent workflow. How do you record? Right now I'm using an external mic, writing it to an SD card, then putting it on my computer and trying to get it to line up. It takes forever
>>
Does anyone here play trumpet? I'm looking towards picking it up, and I need to find a good starter trumpet and a way to learn it (I remember having this little workbook thing for when I used to play the sax way back when)
>>
>>27210496
i usually come up up with a basic song structure on guitar (usually chords, sometimes simple patterns), then record that on either my computer's internal mic or an a/d converter that my friend lets me borrow (i use logic or garageband for a DAW)
>>
>>27210616
Thanks for getting back to me man I wrote this guitar line and am thinking of building off of it if I like it enough.
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1SF35JEolba
>>
>>27210794
that's definitely a good starting point anon, i like it. what i would do is just insert that clip into an audio program and start playing along/adding parts. i like to start coming up with vocal melodies pretty early on as well
>>
>>27208287
I mainly play the cello and piano, but I do have an acoustic and bass guitar. Along with that I play the trumpet and the flute. I might as well make up for my shitty personality and appearance somehow
>>
ok, >>27209992 here. i made this, feel free to join https://titanpad.com/robotmusic
>>
I play guitar and I used to make metal. Melodic Death Metal, mostly. I wasn't very good at it, but I think I made some somewhat catchy stuff.
>>
feel like a tool for posting this in a guitar thread earlier on here to just tell this dude to get into guitar because there's nothing more satisfying than making something out of thin air.

desu $18 for a UX1 has made my life easier. No more driving to houston.
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0kVb1SE6pFe
>>
http://armonte.com/wip/4.ogg
http://armonte.com/wip/a.mp3
http://armonte.com/7Am.mp3
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.