[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
W-what's it like to not have depression?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6
W-what's it like to not have depression?
>>
>>27186746
It's probably like being high all the time. Too dumb to see the world for what it is and just living blissfully in ignorance. Seems like hell to me.
>>
SUNSHINE
LOLLIPOPS
AND RAINBOWS
>>
Light and peaceful. Like sitting on a innertube on still waters just feeling the warm sun.

At least that's how I feel most of the time.
Probably feels different for most people.
>>
>>27186941
You can browse this board and yet still feel this way? You don't feel dragged down by the cesspool of negativity, spite, and self-hatred?
>>
I reckon having a working dopamine system would make you want to do things that would give you positive feedback. Thus societal goals become meaningful.
>>
>>27186985
>You can browse this board and yet still feel this way?
Yes, the only board that boils my piss is /pol/ and I go there specifically to argue.
I don't really take much here seriously or let it effect me.
>>
>>27187218
any tips on how I can stop being depressed?
>>
I have no fucking clue

Depression is and has always been my natural state, to be anything else is a lie
>>
>>27186746
For me its stoicism and exetentialism as a foundation. Daoism as guidance and the small pleasure of a cup of green tea and a good book on a rainy day.
>>
>>27187583

This. So much this.

I have been depressed for what may as well be my entire life. I'm talking from like 6 or 7 years old. I'm 2 now, and I have no idea what it's like to be happy. If someone waved a magic wand and my depression was suddenly gone, I don't even know who no would be. I will have essentially died, because that person is not me.
>>
>>27186746
Its pretty easy.

You just live every day like you already have but remove the part where you are a fucking coward.
>>
>>27188288
>like 6 or 7 years old
>I'm 2 now
how the fuck
>>
>>27188326
27. Sorry, my keyboard doesn't like numbers sometimes.
>>
I imagine that people find themselves smiling a lot more often, probably without realizing it, too. Also, they aren't constantly trying distract themselves from the endless stream of sad, embarrassing, and painful memories they've accumulated throughout their lives. They never have to whisper, speak, yell, or sing the words "Fuck off" on a daily basis to try and make their self-loathing go away.
>>
The state of normie-hood is a realm that's tough to fully convey with words, but I'll do my best. I warn you though, you may not want to read this because it's torturous to fully comprehend it. Seeing the sun will only make the shadows cast upon you seem that much blacker. But if you wish to proceed, here goes...

Imagine being YOU without the running internal monologue, the doubt, the mental block, the fly in the ointment, the big ugly cloud.

Imagine being capable. Imagine looking at a simple problem (like, say, getting your hair cut or visiting the doctor) and feeling completely able to do it. No lurking fear, no worry, no sense of futility about it. In fact, you don't examine the events of your life much at all. In fact, much of your thinking is outwardly focused. You glide through the world confidently. You do not see yourself from the outside, like a soul hovering over your body judging every move you make. You can simply BE. And you feel that this is enough.

Beyond the cognitive differences, there are physical differences as well. Imagine exerting physical effort without instant exhaustion and low frustration tolerance. Imagine tasting foods with every taste bud fully stimulated, smelling the redolent air full of various aromatic tones, feeling deep and abiding love for those closest to you.

Imagine living without judgment of yourself. Imagine looking people in the eyes unflinchingly, unafraid.

Imagine feeling happiness and drinking it in, not instantly bristling at it, but letting it rush in and fully consume you without fear or doubt. Imagine joy. Imagine crying and laughing when you should.

Imagine all this happening with no effort at all. No silent declarations to yourself that you'll "get your shit together" or "really try to improve this time". It happens naturally. It's like breathing.

The black hole of misery is so far from your mind that you can't even comprehend how/why anyone would ever fall into a depression.
>>
>>27186746
Instead of feeling like everything is awful, you feel like everything just might be okay.
>>
the only people that aren't depressed are really stupid people
>>
>tfw tried to think of a response that isn't just "I can't remember" but I actually can't remember
>>
I have no idea. I don't recall having been happy for an extended period of time ever in my life. Even the times I am "happy" it is more just a temporary lack in my ability for detecting the impending doom and depression that loom constantly over my head.

Sorry for sounding so emo xd edgy but its who I am cx
>>
Like that feeling when you're holding your breathe in water and then come up for air.

Generally in life it feelings like I'm drowning and get moments of happiness when I come up for air to stop myself from drowning.
>>
I dont know man. Ive started to mix up boredom and sadness , to me they've always been related. As a kid my inner monologue and imagination were keeping me from being bored every second of my waking hours.

My inner monologue got darker as the years passed and my imagination faded with my fantasies , leaving behind a void.

Normal people fill that void with women and work , I dont see the point. Society make you believe you'll be happy in the end yet when I see that people which we could say "made it" seem even less happy than your average wagecucks minus the money stress I dont know what to think anymore.
>>
>>27189770
>I dont know man. Ive started to mix up boredom and sadness

same desu. the sadness comes from having nothing to do besides hole myself up in my room and feel like shit and the boredom stems from the same thing. Crippling anxiety keeps me from leaving the house and crippling depression keeps me from leaving my bed or asking for help.
>>
>>27190027
Basically this. Being depressed demotivates me to do anything yet being chronically bored makes me want to do something.

Drugs may be the only thing I still truly enjoy. Everything else is a disappointment one way or another.
>>
File: wojak.png (65 KB, 613x760) Image search: [Google]
wojak.png
65 KB, 613x760
>be depressed
>placed into a situation where fun can be had
>start having fun
>stop
>get upset at myself for having fun
>tell myself I don't deserve having fun
>get worked up to the point of almost crying
>worse-off than if I just stayed home
>>
>>27187539
Well I don't know why you are depressed in the first place.

If it is brain chemistry or whatever then I can't really help in that regard.

Plus I an not really prone to long bouts of depression in the first place.

So any advice I gave would probably ring hollow like platitudes.

In all honestly it just does not take much for me to be content. Generally speaking if I have all my basic needs met and I am not in pain for some reason, then I feel just fine and dandy.

Regular meditation and exercise help increase mindfulness and regulate mood as well.

Lastly I take responsibility for my feeling and try to understand and control my emotions to some extent. Not like Vulcan robot logic levels, but I try to step back and look at my emotional responses with a cool head when I can.

I guess it is a side effect of learning to control the anger problems I had when I was young. Learn to control one emotion and you are already on the path to learning to control them all rather then be controlled by them.
>>
>>27187724
Epicureanism and Zen ftw
>>
>>27186823
Not true at all. A greater and elevated perspective can actually deter depression.
>>
>>27190519
How come studies show that most depressed people are often more realistic about their situation than people who aren't?
>>
File: 1454865342992.jpg (62 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1454865342992.jpg
62 KB, 960x720
>>27186746
i still want to kill myself so not much better
>>
Depression is no more than a loss of connection with desire.

>>27190265
Epicurean frat houses are what society craves right now, and they don't even know it.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAoFAJ4izhQ
>>
File: akarivibrate.gif (151 KB, 540x453) Image search: [Google]
akarivibrate.gif
151 KB, 540x453
An everlasting orgasm
>>
File: 1325499743543.jpg (336 KB, 1912x2475) Image search: [Google]
1325499743543.jpg
336 KB, 1912x2475
Get stoned and do something you enjoy.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.