[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>make something creative >think its fairly decent >look
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 9
File: 1456028834001.png (40 KB, 633x973) Image search: [Google]
1456028834001.png
40 KB, 633x973
>make something creative
>think its fairly decent
>look at other peoples work and look back at mine
>realize my work is still subpar and bad compared to others works
>>
Every single time I pick up a guitar
>>
thats the drive to work harder though
>>
File: 1458025669860.jpg (442 KB, 1914x1080) Image search: [Google]
1458025669860.jpg
442 KB, 1914x1080
yeah sometimes i look at artstation and cry because there are so many better butt sculptors than me
>>
File: image.jpg (86 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
86 KB, 633x758
>>27186328
>make something, usually some tune on the guitar that I'll record
>can literally feel what needs to go where to make this awesome
>technical ability not even close enough to make it better
>>
yeah, that's me with writing. fuck it. i'll keep writing even if it's shit. at least it gives me a sense of purpose and escape from miserable reality.
>>
File: photo.jpg (35 KB, 418x418) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
35 KB, 418x418
>tfw my art is becoming more and more fucked up, the more i make
>can't stop myself
>>
>>27186373
what kinda stuff do you write, senpai? what's your writing style like?
>>
>>27186328

I am ashamed of myself that I even considered my work good and decent before.

>>27186340

looks a bit undefined, I am missing any kind of lower back muscles. Also the pants/leggins are too thick.
>>
>draw something
>post it on /ic/ or elsewhere on the internet
>find out why it's shit
>get demotivated like a faggot and don't draw for the next two months

I don't think I'm going to make it.
>>
>>27186420

>really like wierd and almost creepy shit like LSD dream simulator
>people just dont understand my work
>>
>>27186445
I lift weights, write poetry, make music, play vidya and Im shit at all of it. Have put my work out before and literally got shit on. Makes me want to get better but at the end of the day I do it just to kill the time. I already accepted im a pleb
>>
>>27186493
it's come to the point for me that i don't even know what to tell people when they ask about my art. lord knows i wouldn't show it to them.

what kinda stuff do you make, anon? what's your inspiration?
>>
>>27186283
Doesn't matter, keep going. Creating anything is suffering, there is no reward besides that which you give yourself.
>>
>>27186441
fantasy stories. the one I've spent the most time on is about a 30 year old virgin with strong wizard powers. she makes friends with deities and eventually becomes one.

>what's your writing style like
shit. ;_;

do you write? what kind of stories, if you do?
>>
>>27186655

I work on games in my free time(I havent released anything at the moment) I have began about 10 different projects but I am kinda torn about most of them because the scripting in all of them is pretty bad and everything is build ontop of it since I was just learning programming by making these games.
>>
File: life.png (245 KB, 676x539) Image search: [Google]
life.png
245 KB, 676x539
>>27186357
This. If I could project what my mind was visualizing then everyone would be impressed.

But the flesh is clumsy, and the brilliance of the soul is clouded by the bone and cartilage and sinew

So we refine ourselves, like the sculptor to the marble, chiseling away, yet we are both the sculptor and the marble, and so we must suffer in order to grow.

The only problem is with a world of possibilities, how could I confine myself to just one?

So instead of sculpting the impressive physique of a hero or the wizened features of a learned scholar, my marble just sits there.
>>
>>27186283
>try to make something creative
>on the rare occasion that I can manage to make anything at all, it sucks
>scrap it
>learn nothing from it
People say you have to make mistakes to learn but I never seem to learn no matter how many mistakes I make.
>>
>>27186702
yeah, I write. my stories all tend to be about the same collection of things- homosexuals, murder, transsexuals, daddy issues, mental illness and on occasion drugs. I don't really know how I came to this point, but it's what I like to do, so I guess there's no point in stopping. i like to write character-driven drama. my plots are never very complex. journey, not the destination and all that. if they are on the more complex side of things, it's usually not because they're very intricate, but because all of the pieces that put them together are on the more bombastic, crazy side of things, so it makes it seem like it's more exciting than it really is.

my main project is a book that's pretty much about all the crap i listed above. i don't really know.

sorry, i kinda rambled. how long you been writing?
>>
>>27186891
what genre of games? that's pretty cool, though, anon. i used to think that i wanted to make games, but then i realized that if i did, they would just be more artsy hipster trash, so i just stick to writing, instead.
>>
>>27187277

First game I started on was an infinite runner type game which I am still expanding and I will probably get rid of the infinite runner elements completely.

I also made some slenderman like game (collect 10 pages) in a similar style like power drill massacre sp it looks like an ps1 game.
>>
>>27186691
That's bullshit. If you aren't having fun doing it, don't do it. You'll never be as goid as someone who enjoys working on it.
>>
>>27187432
>and I will probably get rid of the infinite runner elements completely.
and replace them with what?

cool shit, anon. when're you gonna release some of them?

>inb4 lostboy.exe
>>
>>27187522

>and replace them with what?

Its in style similar to 2d nes/snes racing games but with infinite generating tracks, I might just get red of the infinite generating streets and instead make a proper racing game.

>cool shit, anon. when're you gonna release some of them?

I might release what I got sometime soon on itch.io.
>>
>>27187235
you write? cool. mind if I post something I wrote? I'm a schizophrenic so everything I write is nutty but I'm curious what others think.

late July , '54. a summer storm's blowing in over the mountain. rain hazes the air and hits your windshield in a sheet. the forest by the road is green and wet and alive. the lights from other cars flash in the dark. you smell the wet earth and stone under you. it's here.
here, under the ground, is what keeps you. a grinding wheel, black, chipped, cracked, old, fifty feet across, terrible. it hurts. you stumble as you think about it.

where are you? this isn't your car. it's raining harder, the summer storm is now a monsoon, but you're not wet, you're in a cave, you can barely see the trees, you're in a cave, you're in a CAVE, you're in THE CAVE, up ahead you can just make out- a round shape, terrible form, oval to break all curves, it's a wheel-
>>
>>27187928
I like it anon. The fags over on /lit/ would probably give you shit, but i like it.

bad
>first few sentences are kinda choppy
>last paragraph kinda drops descriptions, just says it all straight

good
>i don't know how to word it without sounding cheesey, but it has energy, or something
>i like how the flow isn't generic, it's more dynamic and changes in different parts, but overall has a certain rhythm to it

suggestions
>focus on how the words sound. it's kinda hard to describe what i'm getting at, but pay attention to how the sounds of the words come together, to sound interesting. not necessary, but it's the icing on the cake

wanna post some more? i like your stuff. out of curiosity, what was going on there? i'm sleep deprived as fuck, so i can't really tell.

how does your schizophrenia affect your writing?
>>
>start to write a song
>go back and look at it later
>cringe and rip it up
how do I stop
>>
>>27187928

But who was wheel?
>>
>>27187235
You sound like me. I have elements that are in pretty much every story I write. Gods, magic, mystery, sibling relationships, etc. I'm very character driven as well. All I think about is the characters, their relationships, and the plot is to drive that home.

I started the beginning of 2015. I really want to put something on kindle this year. Just to feel like I've made some progress. Have you put any of your stuff out there?
>>
>>27188236
i have a blog that i occasionally post prose or poetry on, but i usually use it for drawings. i'm terribly paranoid of people stealing my shit. not a narcissist, just neurotic. i keep telling myself that i'll eventually try and get something published, but i don't actually ever think of the specifics of it. i guess i'll think about that in the future.
>>
>>27188503
it probably helps to do poetry and art as well. put your mind in a more visual and senses mindset. I hope you find happiness in you art, whether you publish it or not.
>>
>>27188805
thanks anon, you too, night
>>
>>27186482

I've all but stopped posting my drawings because I can see they're shit. No need for me to contribute with the clutter.

I still draw while waiting for classes to start like the autist that I am, but they're doodles at best. I don't take it seriously anymore.
>>
>>27186340

>you will never be Alioto
>you will never model an ass that is LITERALLY engineered and BUILT FOR SEX
>>
File: image.jpg (19 KB, 214x233) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19 KB, 214x233
I know this feel too well. I aspire to create weird, surrealist movies or games. David Lynch is one of my personal heroes and Hotline Miami resonated with me in a way no other game has before. But I just can't do it. The best I can do is write down the script for my ideas but I can't actually make my ideas reality. I can't even use fucking game maker, and all the levels I've made in the HLM2 editor are shit. As far as movies go m, I don't have any resources, though I realize that wasn't an issue for guys like Kenneth Anger, Kevin Smith, or Christopher Nolan, so I guess I'm just making up excuses for being a lazy unmotivated fuck.

Fuck I hate being a useless ideas guy.
>>
File: 1457601766562.jpg (10 KB, 240x250) Image search: [Google]
1457601766562.jpg
10 KB, 240x250
How does anyone deal with not being good at something

It's so depressing
>>
>>27186283
There's always someone to be subpar in comparison to. Don't compare yourself to them, compare yourself to yourself a month ago, or a year ago, or 5 years ago.
>>
>>27190337
stop being ambitious, ambition will ruin you every time until you have the skill to back it up.
you arent going to be making anything like hotline miami, silent hill, pathologic or whatever the fuck else until you put yourself to work making shitty stuff you dont care about in order to lay down the foundations for something great
learn to code, make a shitty clone of pong and then tweak it until you can find a way to make it play differently without it being awful
then move onto another project and another and another
in a couple of years time you'l have the means to make whatever faggy surrealist shit you want
>>
>>27186420
embrace it famalam
>>
Every single time I draw something, anything at all, it always ends up looking exactly like something I've seen someone else draw.
I have all the creativity and imagination of a sponge, I just see something someone else has drawn and regurgitate the exact same thing of a lesser quality without realising it until I've finished every single time.
>>
File: 1434859764171.jpg (34 KB, 262x133) Image search: [Google]
1434859764171.jpg
34 KB, 262x133
>make something
>looks good I guess
>post it
>forget about it
>come back to it later and see glaring errors
I noticed this about a lot of my art a few years back. Proportions are fucked up, and I'm pissed off no one ever told me. Now I don't ever post art. what's the fucking point? If no one's going to take my stuff seriously I'll just make it for myself. Well, most of the time at least.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.