[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is it considered normal to go to college if your ultimate
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7
File: 1457995993715.png (39 KB, 321x322) Image search: [Google]
1457995993715.png
39 KB, 321x322
Why is it considered normal to go to college if your ultimate goal is to find employment? Shouldn't college be for higher learning, and not job preparation?
>>
Because most high paying jobs require a college degree.
>>
>>27183528

I understand that, but why? Especially when the degree you earn doesn't teach you much about the job.
>>
Because college is a meme to see who are motivated and who are not. That, and it keeps people from being counted as "unemployed", so the government looks better while they give you up to grown up daycare aka college for 4-5 years.
>>
Basically even in engineering jobs you learn all you need to know during the first week of employment, the college might teach you CAD and some basic physics at best that might be useful. All that calculus the aspies love? Won't ever come you to any use as an engineer except if you go for the nasa jobs
>>
>>27183551
because at some point companies decided to make having a college degree a requirement

a college degree at this point is basically the equivalent of having a high school degree 30+ years ago
>>
>>27183472
>I understand that, but why?

Let's say a Nuclear power plant is being constructed and the investors need people to design the infrastructure.

Do you think those investors want to round up a bunch of hobos off the street and "train" them how to design nuclear infrastructure?

No. They want to hire people who already understand nuclear engineering, it's principles and the math/science behind it.

Because of this institutions appear (universities) that allow you to pay them to teach you how to design nuclear infrastructure.

Once you graduate you're given a piece of paper that says: "this person officially understands the principles behind nuclear engineering."

Now the company can hire a person who knows what they're doing instead of training a hobo.

Honestly education isn't really a hard concept to grasp.
>>
for learn what you don't really need learning crappy math
>>
File: knowledge.jpg (32 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
knowledge.jpg
32 KB, 1280x720
Because the more you learn, the more you earn.
>>
i turned down a job opportunity so i could stay in school

the job was literally right up my alley and based on my area of study

i wouldn't of had time to keep my grades up and keep my scholarship if i took the job

if i took the job i would've had to drop out. so i'm staying in school to get a degree for a slightly better job in the same line of work two years from now.

i'm a fucking idiot
>>
>>27184107
That is not true though, even with a masters you know jack shit after college. They need to train you anyways, the degree is there as a way to see "does this individual have potential" as a future employ, and is it worth spending money training him.
>>
So if you really think you need every course they teach you at uni you are part of the problem, normalfag
>>
>>27184373
You really have no idea what you're talking about.
>>27184107
Is right and explained it so simply that I'm surprised you weren't able to grasp it.

Are you implying that people with master's degrees will require the same amount of training as some idiot who had to take the GED to finish high school? Fuck you for making me reply
>>
It's not just finding employment, it's finding employment in a specific field with specific knowledge required.
>>
>>27184505
I have a masters and a job. So I guess my experience counts more than your dreams you fucking freshman. If you are intelligent (a thing that can't be taught) college is a waste of time. Easy as that
>>
I work in mech engineering, the only skills you need are :material science, Mechanics, CAD and general knowledge regarding means of production. Those math courses are not really difficult, you won't ever use them though. So saying that you in reality need what they teach you is a fucking lie you Shekelstein fuck
>>
File: wut.gif (494 KB, 500x259) Image search: [Google]
wut.gif
494 KB, 500x259
>>27184570
>If you are intelligent

>college is a waste of time

Who actually believes this?
>>
>>27184505
Basically yes. The whole stem field is a meme. The pay used to be good, not anymore. You want scrilla? Go for economics
>>
>>27184678

>he works purely for money

>not for decent money and passion

sux2bu
>>
>>27184675
You are so obviously a butthurt aspie freshman
>>
>>27184696
If you want "decent money" you might as well go neet
>>
File: houses.png (290 KB, 595x580) Image search: [Google]
houses.png
290 KB, 595x580
>>27183472

Higher learning has always been thought of as leading to establishing yourself in a career. Natal charts showing the placement of planets relative to your time of birth have been used since before Christ with the ninth house representing higher learning leading to the tenth house representing career.
>>
File: letip.jpg (2 KB, 97x125) Image search: [Google]
letip.jpg
2 KB, 97x125
>>27184727

six figures is comparable to NEETdom?

Holy fuck you're dumb.

>>27184701

dumb ass lol
>>
Yeah I mean why did the guy who built the Golden Gate Bridge have to go to college, I couldve done it out of high school when I was 18 if I knew the basics

It would be safe enough

shut up
>>
All the fucking normies on this board nowadays....Plz take the cyanide and shoot yourself, we don't want you here with your "herp derp I go to college hello Robots". Bother Stacy and leave us alone REEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>27184746
>six figures
>engineering
Choose one
>>
>>27184728
yeah well the ancients also thought the ant lion was half lion, half ant and couldn't eat meat or the chaff of wheat and thus died from starvation
>>
>>27184782
reddit trying waaay too hard
>>
>>27184766
>implying every country goes after muricuck system
>uses a badly designed bridge as example
>implying one guy planed the drafts and made the calculations
>>
>>27183551
It's just a way to filter out people. Just like 50 years ago, high school graduates were considered the high end of society. As soon as high school graduation rates have inflated, the requirements have gone higher and now you need a degree for that but number of degree holders is gradually increasing and as you can see a bachelors is worth now less than it used to be in year 2000. It's a good system for institutions who get to jew you out of your money for mostly unhelpful knowledge but bad for us and for countries as a whole since more time studying = becoming part of the job market when you're in your mid-20s and more young people in debt who will spend years trying to repay it and will probably never be able to afford a house (but that's another issue)
>>
>>27184832
>reddit
You must be new here
>>
>>27184862
Finally someone who gets it, thank you Anon. Mr Shekelstein in the thread here got me quite a bit tired
>>
>>27183551

It's just the new baseline requirement. Too many people have high school diplomas these days, so companies need a new way to keep the bottomfeeders away from their precious $30k a year office jobs. A bachelor's degree is the new way to do that.
>>
>>27184107
Your analogy is fucking retarded, I hope you'll figure out why.
>>
File: Clint_Eastwood_-_1960s.jpg (430 KB, 1500x1141) Image search: [Google]
Clint_Eastwood_-_1960s.jpg
430 KB, 1500x1141
>>27184915
Sane people :') I knew you would come here eventually you beautiful truth speakers you
>>
>>27184950
Yes that guy is the same kind of person that always forgets that everything is standardized nowadays.
>>
>>27183472
The lofty goal of college for pure higher learning has long been debased by more pressing practical concerns. If you're from a rich family though, you may preserve that noble tradition of erudition.
>>
File: hnngg.jpg (60 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
hnngg.jpg
60 KB, 500x500
>>27183472
>government needs money to operate
>large collection of that money comes from college
>you don't have money to go to college
>they lend you the money instead of giving it to you for free
>they essentially force you to willingly pay them
>gives more jobs generally helps economy
>sucks to pay but at least people don't pay you to suck
there ya go
>>
Because highschool doesn't give a shit about preparinng your ass to find a job.

should have went to a tech school
>>
Is there a practical application to "higher learning"?
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.