[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are any of you successful enough to live on your own? Or even
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 11
File: Make-money-tumblr.jpg (159 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
Make-money-tumblr.jpg
159 KB, 800x450
Are any of you successful enough to live on your own? Or even on your way to? What do you do, or what are you working towards?

Please help, guys. I'm a NEET, and need advice/ideas on what to do with my worthless life. I think about blowing my brains out every day.
>>
>>27183119
If you live on your own you either don't belong here and/or you are a rent cuck.
>>
>>27183119

I am. I am a nurse in the US. Getting to that point took 2 years of intense bullshit, and I had parental financial support. It can still be done, but it would take you a while and it would suck badly for that period of time. Night shift nursing isn't so bad. 3 12 hour shifts then freedom for an extended duration. In time, I can do traveling nursing and make a lot of money and take longer periods of time off work.
>>
File: 1434860434577.gif (137 KB, 659x576) Image search: [Google]
1434860434577.gif
137 KB, 659x576
>>27183203
More info please. What kind of nurse are you? I don't know all the different titles, like RN, LPN, etc. What education/training did you pursue? How much do you make? Do you like it/see yourself doing it for life? How do you plan on moving up? More training/education/certifications, or just experience?
>>
I work for a research company as a contractor in Washington, DC with the federal government, primarily in labor policy and workforce development -- the projects I currently work on help NEETs, high-school dropouts, and other disengaged youth enter pre-apprenticeship pathways to get some kind of employment credential or certificate. I'm also a 2nd year phd student in one of the local schools inside the beltway.

At the root of it all, I am completely lazy, irresponsible, and unreliable and it blows my fucking mind that anybody entrusts me with ANYTHING. I think daily about throwing myself off the roof of my work building. Or hanging myself from the rafters of my apartment building's garage. Or throwing myself in front of a metro train.

My life is an excrement pile. A heaping, useless, lonely, ugly, abnormal, deformed waste of an existence. Please be a better human than me.
>>
>>27183491
b-but you have a jerb and I assume live independently. Do you think you can help me?
>>
>>27183529
Yes I can try. How old are you, anon? And are you Mericafag?
>>
File: 1408602398534.jpg (26 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1408602398534.jpg
26 KB, 640x480
>>27183548
I'm 32 in America. Probably too old for your programs......idk. The only thing I can imagine being available is being a low level kitchen bitch flipping burgers, or a waiter if I get lucky. Maybe night stock at walmart or some shit. Or nursing school like the anon above.
>>
>>27183119

>Are any of you successful enough to live on your own?
Been on my own more or less for 8 years now. I'm 27.

>What do you do
I work a soul draining job and go to school part time.

>what are you working towards?
Suicide. Life is suffering.

Enjoy the freedom while you have it. Spending 40+ hours (not including getting ready and getting there) a week of your life hating every waking moment so you have a place to """""live""""" isn't worth the time.
>>
>>27183667
Are you American? Is the kids gotra move out by 18 meme true?
>>
>>27183119
I'm an auditor, make 6 figures a year. hate my life and have no friends, HKV, would be a shutin if I didn't do well in school. I'm lazy, hateful, but I have one piece of advice.

fake it. hide your powerlevel. pretend you know more than you do. normies are easily fooled, and that's all you need to be able to do. get through school, get a piece of paper. work will train you. learn just enough to get by, and act like you are valuable.

the rest of my life is garbage, but I have a very comfy life where I sit at a desk 8 hours a day doing next to nothing and bring home over 7k a month clear of taxes.
>>
File: i1PUdAV.jpg (52 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
i1PUdAV.jpg
52 KB, 600x800
>>27183632
Research some certificate programs at your local community college. Obviously the most in-demand ones are trades (welding, plumbing, electrician, etc.) but basic IT certifications are also employable. If you have been NEET for quite some time, your financial aid package will be generous. Pell grants will probably cover 100% of tuition and you don't need to pay those back. You can also apply for work study which will get you an easy peasy job on campus like tutoring or regular office admin type stuff, usually for just above minimum wage. In addition, you can take out additional cost of living loans to cover rent if you want to live independently.

Loans suck, yes, but so does living with your parents at 32. Which sucks less, anon?

If you don't want to go the community college route, you can look into apprenticeship programs directly offered by employers. Again the most profitable industries are the trades. Just google "welding industry apprenticeship" or something. You can also start looking at the registered apprenticeship programs put out by the Department of Labor: http://www.dol.gov/featured/apprenticeship/find-opportunities The downside to registered apprenticeships for anons like us is that you're forced to be social, forced to play the fucking game of sucking your boss' cock for advancement and promotions up the ladder.

Murrica and Mr. Shekelstein want you out there earning but it's up to you whether you want to be salaryfag or wagecucking.
>>
>>27183694
Yup.

Good ol murica.

I make enough to get fucked, but not enough to do anything but work.
>>
>>27183119
I can support myself, wouldnt be comfy but it would be doable. Go get a state job that requires you to be relatively active like highway dpt.
>>
>>27183119
im a patent attorney

I did an undergraduate degree in chemistry, did 5 years getting my PhD in chemistry, worked in the chemical industry a couple years, left it to become a patent agent, did law school part time on the firm's dime, now I'm a patent attorney.

I have a B.Sc., Ph.D., J.D., and I make roughly $225k a year. doesnt stop the feels that stem from all the time ive wasted...
>>
>>27183119
technically i make enough to live on my own, but not by much, so i live with family. i was a NEET for the longest time (years) after college: i applied to an unknown number of jobs, going on dozens of interviews without success, then one day a family friend had an opening and here i am. the job is easy and the money is okay, but i don't feel like i'm going anywhere in life.
>>
>>27183853
No you're not, and no you don't.
>>
File: dark_room[1].jpg (407 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
dark_room[1].jpg
407 KB, 1920x1080
I'm 24 and it's been a year since I bought my house. I did it from saving up money from when I was 16 just working at restaurants

It doesn't do anything for you. You know how you pretty much spent all the time in your parent's house in your room? It's pretty much the same thing for me now. I'm always holed up in my room and when I come home from work it's just a cold, dark and empty house with no one greeting me.

Can't be bothered to make actual meals since it's just me and I never turn on the AC/heater since I feel like it's a waste to heat/cool the whole house for just one person
>>
>>27183853
this is my plan except without the phd. Though I'm wondering if mba consulting is a better route than patent law given the glut of lawyers. I imagine it's easier to go tech -> law than law -> tech especially given industry experience.
>>
>>27184156
It's not far-fetched at all. I'm sure there are plenty of "successful" anons here who do well on paper but are hollow shells inside.
>>
>>27184178
that's how it was for me when i lived alone
i used to come home and cry because i had no waifu to greet me
>>
>>27183119
Lurk on /biz/. Don't post.
And don't listen to all the coinshillers. Just lurk at first. It'll teach you a thing or two, such as the fact that shit takes time.
>>
File: hi.png (301 KB, 395x367) Image search: [Google]
hi.png
301 KB, 395x367
>>27183119
I trade crypto and make like $50+ per day. I'm 20 years old.

I could go into more detail if anyone is interested, I guess.
>>
>>27183667
My life is more or less to the letter as this anon described his own. Living on your own and achieving this independence is not a sure way to alleviate whatever issues you might have. It may make them even worse.

Be prepared to be even more alone than you already are.
>>
>>27184222
It is much easier. I would never have had the opportunity in law that I did had I not had the technical background. Everyone wants to be a lawyer just like everyone wants to be a doctor. I just fell into law because the chemical industry is shit and PhDs are highly desired. few chemists I know that did roughly 10 years of schooling in research and technical knowledge want to sit at a desk filing paperwork.
>>
>>27184233
>It's not far-fetched at all. I'm sure there are plenty of "successful" anons here who do well on paper but are hollow shells inside.

Absolutely. I would fit into this description and I am sure there are many lurkers that would as well. Career success and independent living do not manufacture happiness or satisfaction with life on their own.
>>
>>27184571
go on plss.
>>
>>27183119
I'm a Computer Technician for a hospital here. I make $3500 a month before taxes. My days consist of maintaining the computers, being called into an office/room every 40 minutes to explain things to elderly co-workers who assume everything is a virus or can't get their keyboard and mouse to function due to pulling it out of the port, ordering new parts and replacing/installing them, making sure the software is up to date on all the computers if not installing something and waiting out the 30+ minute installations.

I also do freelance computer repair/installation on the side for an extra 1000-1350 a month.

I rent a house together with my sister and we save a lot of money. When I was living out on my own in a $700 one bedroom apartment, I was still winding up paying out about $2500 a month. Its better to have someone to help reduce the cost so you can save.
>>
File: whatisthis.png (1 MB, 931x696) Image search: [Google]
whatisthis.png
1 MB, 931x696
>>27185150
You gather about $1000. Convert that to BTC. I started with $1300.

Find a reputable exchange. I like Poloniex.

Pick the most volatile markets that have the largest volume.

Buy at the bottom bollinger band and sell at the top bollinger band. Short if something is a clear pump and dump.

I just shorted ETH and made $50 as I typed this. It takes no time to do things like this. I just made as much as some kid working minimum wage did in an entire day after taxes by clicking a button on my computer screen. It's silly, and it only increases as you gather more money.

Research what you're putting the money into. You want to know why such and such market is going up or down so much. Read the news related to the crypto.

Keep your money in for as little time as possible. If you're only making 1-3 trades per day, then you're doing it wrong. You should be making $5-20 trades every hour, easily. I'm to the point to where I can make about $200 per day on average. You only keep 10% of what you make as capital. Take 90% out for yourself so that you can actually use it to live. You never want to keep your money in the market for longer than you need to. If you're new, as soon as there is a window where you're making anything past $5-20, you should take it. It's free money.

Don't ever think that you need to make a lot per trade. That's what everyone thinks they need to do and it never happens. This is why everyone loves to talk about the big jump from $100 to $1100 in BTC back in November 2013. People want to make a lot all at once. If they had the patience to make just a bit every day, they'd be better off.

If you're a kid like me and can make $20+ per day from your computer having a chart sitting in the corner of your screen or an extra tab on your browser, consider yourself more successful than people your age. I do. I will say though, not many people seem to be good at this. You need patience. If it was that easy, everyone would do it.
>>
>>27185482
How did you get in? Did you have a tech degree? Previous exp before the job? What's the job title and requirements to get in?
>>
File: 1455748312146.jpg (174 KB, 600x468) Image search: [Google]
1455748312146.jpg
174 KB, 600x468
>>27185715
also
>why would you tell us how to do your job and possibly take it from you or be competition for you!?

People like me who are more experienced want new people to come in. The more volatile and more volume in a market, the more money that I will make from suckers, who exist by the millions. There is no such thing as competition in stuff like this.

I do whatever I want. I make more money per year than anyone I know of at my age. I didn't waste my time going to university. I travel to wherever I want. I eat whatever I want. I talk to whoever I want. I never starve like I used to. I'm not poor like my parents were. I never worry about having enough money because I trade in such a way that minimizes risk while giving me a reward that I am comfortable with. Most people think that something like $20 from pressing a button is somehow not enough for them and they need to make 50% on their $1000 in a day to feel okay with their decisions. It's idiotic, never happens, and I take all of their money.

People say stuff like
>You need to have a lot of money to make a lot of money
Why do you need to make a lot of money? You don't have any big house to pay for or children to provide for. You don't have a lot of money in the first place. As long as you can make $1000 a month, you're basically free for life. You can pay for an apartment, food, toiletries, and $1000 take-away money per month from this work is nothing after you've been doing it for several months. What is the problem? I travel around the world and I've never made some ridiculous amount on a trade. Now, I do make a lot of money, but it's because I was busy saving up the capital to be able to do it. Nothing changed in how I work. I just have a lot of investment capital, so now I naturally make more money back. This isn't unobtainable. It is much easier than you think as long as you're smart about it.

While typing this silly post, I made $50 shorting ETH. It's simple if you know what you're doing.
>>
>>27185997
I applied to multiple places and read review tips on making a good interview impression and landed it with the hospital job. I got a certificate from my college; though the official certificate is Computer Repair. I built my own rigs growing up and kept them updated, so thats about it for experience; I used youtube as a tutorial to do that at first. Job title is literal Computer Technician, and the none requirements are usually an internship with a degree.
>>
File: 1456816054857.jpg (427 KB, 1543x1360) Image search: [Google]
1456816054857.jpg
427 KB, 1543x1360
OP just sell one of the books on your life or theories you've studied or sell tickets to that symphony you've practiced.
>>
>>27184346
Did you move back with your parents or have someone move in?
I had people ask me what I was gonna do with the extra space and I just told em I was gonna enjoy living alone for a little and find someone to move in later
I don't have anyone to ask to move in or anyone that would probably want to live with me and I'm not gonna live with strangers
>>
>>27185715
>>27186113
>shorted ETH
could you please explain this as if I was retarded?
>>
>>27186128
I see. Where have you been applying? Indeed, linkedin? All the entry positions require 2-3 yrs of exp and many other programming languages, am I missing something?
>>
have you heard of second life? it's a virtual world sort of, not really a game. a lot of people like to dress up their avatar and use real money to purchase linden dollars, which they then use to buy stuff with. but yeah, creators can make 3d stuff and sell it on the online marketplace. they can then transfer the linden to real money that goes to paypal.

if you get sort of decent at 3d modeling, you can make 500+ a month pretty easily in passive income. i make around 2k, but have several established stores. i can probably make more, but i'm lazy. there are a lot of youtube tutorials to learn 3d modeling. you can try making things in blender, it's free. just an idea for those who don't want to go outside.
>>
>>27183746
Listen to this faggot. Confidence and conviction will carry you a hell of a long way with people. At the very least you'll help your own psychological state.
>>
File: 10outof10jew.png (460 KB, 600x592) Image search: [Google]
10outof10jew.png
460 KB, 600x592
>>27186408
here is an example...

IBM shares are worth $100 each. You have a hunch that the price is going to drop down to $50 each.

You borrow an IBM share from a lender and sell it for $100.

You pay what is basically a rent on the share, usually than 1% per day on Poloniex.

Lets say that you're correct and IBM drops to $50.

You buy that borrowed share for $50, give the share back to the lender, and you pocket that extra $50.

The lender gets his share back and you make $50.

I actually just made another $40 shorting ETH while typing this.
>>
>>27186548
I applied to staples, best buy, and a local IT business. I sent my applications for the first two via online application, and I applied to the IT and Hospital via walk in. Requirements aren't necessarily mandatory if you find a company willing to give you a shot. I've never programmed anything, as that is a different department than Computer Technician. That would be software engineering, or something beyond my knowledge.

Just get some experience/certification, apply, and put on a good performance
>>
31. I work two jobs, one at a drug store as a shift supervisor and the other as a server in a restaurant. I make 11/hr at the store (also get my bennies) and average around 12/hr at the restaurant. I work between 50-55 hours a week. I make enough to afford a decent apartment and a little extra spending money, but that's it.

I started as a busser at the restaurant and as a stock guy at the store and worked my way up. I'm working on trying to find my way into an office job where I only have to work 40 hours a week.
>>
>>27183119
I'm a NEET fembot. I have my own apartment and live off of government assistance.
>>
>>27187030
Marissa?
>>
>>27186113
What shit hole do you live in that you think $1k a month is anything less than poverty? I make $17 an hour working part time and the US government gives me $12.5k a year to pay for my school for free because I only work enough hours to make like $7k a year.
>>
>>27183119
>22
>live alone in an apartment I own
>Inherited when parents died
>tfw
>Make about 3k a month with 1k in bills
>Full time work in warehouse sucks
>Living alone is the greatest joy on the planet
>>
>>27188029
what program/grant will give you that much money for school? And where do you work to make that much per hour?
>>
>>27188108
I get $6k from the Pell grant. $6k from the Cal grant. I don't know why they give me and extra $500 but my gpa is 3.67. I'm not going to tell you where I work.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.