[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't know what to do with my life I want to be an artist
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
I don't know what to do with my life

I want to be an artist but there's a lot of luck in making it as an artist

I don't know what to do

Help?
>>
You have approximately a .001% chance of making a living as a fine artist.
>>
Stick to doing art as a hobby. You'll be happier that way.
>>
>>27159689
And if you weren't born into a wealthy family...about a .000001% chance.
>>
>>27159720
This. Don't do art to "make it." Do art to do art and find something else to pay the bills.
>>
>>27159620
Just take advantage of retards. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7ez-gIt08I
>>
If you are the sort of person to listen to moronic advice like:
>>27159689
>>27159720
>>27159732
>>27159757
you will never make it.

If you want to live as an artist then live as an artist and stop second guessing yourself. Doubt is what will keep you up at night and make you miserable. Van Gogh didn't paint his first painting until he was in his mid 20s but loved it so much he was willing to die a failure. Now everyone loves him because of it.

Just because it requires a degree of delusion to pursue doesn't mean you won't eventually be recognized for your work.
>>
Don't listen to these faggots, find a way to make it work.

I wanted to be a photographer, but everyone told me there's no way I could find work or be competitive. I joined the military as a photographer and I fucking love it. Complete job security too, minus the sand niggers occasionally trying to kill you
>>
>>27160133
Kek. You have about the same chance as making the NBA.
>>
>>27160184
The folly of youth. Dreams are just that...dreams.
>>
I'd like to learn art too anon.
I'm hanging around IC beginner threads and reading recommended art books.

I really need to get more practice in though. That's the biggest hurdle for me, getting the time, space, and mindset to work on improving.
>>
>>27160227
talk about your false equivalencies

it's almost as if you took intro to statistics in high school and declared yourself an expert before dropping out and pursuing a GED
>>
>>27160243
How is that the folly of youth? I found a path a let me do what I love.
>>
>>27160276
Actually you probably have a better chance of making it in the NBA. I live in hipster Brooklyn. Art school students wash up here like silt, thinking they're going to be the next Warhol or Rothko. It's semi-impossible to make a living. And the ones that do lived in the red for years and years (ie trust fund). Making a living as a fine artist in this day and age is semi impossible.
>>
>>27160184
Said fine artist you hump.>>27160300
A
>>
>>27160300
Are you the army photographer? Not even close to the same thing. If op wants to paint house, im sure he'll find a path.
>>
>>27160442
I'm saying that he can find a way if he's really passion about it, not that OP should join the army.

OP would probably die.
>>
>>27160387
You're just a moron, sorry. It's easier now than ever to make a fortune from fine art due to the massive speculative art bubble. What is harder now is achieving a lasting critical acceptance.

Money is moving around like a cheap joke but the artistic canon shut its doors like a decade ago.
>>
>>27160276
The other Anon is right. The odds of making a living as a fine artist are abysmal. And I'm talking about an adult living. Not sharing a loft with four other dudes when you're in your 20s.

Art schools truly have their nerve taking a lot of these kid's money.
>>
>>27160476
>I'm saying that he can find a way if he's really passion about it
No. That is a meme, and doesn't account for competition. Real life doesn't work that way.
>>
>>27160591
if you go to an art school before your portfolio is good enough to get a full scholarship you were never going to make it anyway

what kind of retard goes into hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt for an art degree? if you want to make profitable industry connections go gay for pay in new york
>>
>>27160633
Kids of wealthy parents anon. That's who pay 50k a year for art school.

And suckers like some of the anons in this thread, who've been told by morons their whole life to follow their dreams.

I see them here everyday.
>>
>>27160633
>go gay for pay in new york
Sucking dick will help. Seriously.

The whole system is a joke and should have been exposed a long time ago.

NYC/LA: where dreams go to die.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.