[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Running Discussion Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: saucony_what_is_strong[1].jpg (147 KB, 633x355) Image search: [Google]
saucony_what_is_strong[1].jpg
147 KB, 633x355
So Im pretty much pic related.

Where is my QT 3.14 runner gf?

In other news, my 4 mile jogs to the beach (8 miles round trip) are a lot more fun now that Ive got some MAGA T shirts. My once humble community has been filled with rich Arabs and other obnoxious foreigners. Their frowns are pretty amusing. The "mind=blown" look of the uber liberal yoga yuppies is also to die for. They simply cant process someone other than a diabetes riddled boomer would support Donald Trump. You can feel "it cant happen here" beliefs they had being shattered.

Pretty much makes up for the no gf feels desu senpai.
>>
>>27158969
Runners look disgusting famalam. Get /fit/
>>
>>27159025
Runnerbod is the physique of primal man.

Meatheads stand no chance outside of bar brawls.
>>
>>27159173
Either go full intensity or full endurance. Our bodies are built to either walk or sprint the fuck away at maximum speed, nothing inbetween. Running is a retarded thing, the only valid reason to do it is for fun. HIIT has it surpassed in literally every way including cardiovascular gains. And natty lifting won't magically turn you into some meathead you're so afraid of. Unless you're dedicated you won't get past ottermode, but that's enough to be stronger than most people and look way better too. A guy doing a decent bodyweight routine for a year easily surpasses a runner who has been doing nothing else for five years in both looks and strength.

I'm not saying "lmao don't run", I'm saying you should do more than just running.
>>
>>27159323
I have added swimming to my weekly routine. Thats the closest ill probably get to strength training outside of my daily pushups.
>>
File: 1434640126748.jpg (149 KB, 500x700) Image search: [Google]
1434640126748.jpg
149 KB, 500x700
Please someone recommend me some running shoes. I've had thee seemingly quality pairs literally fall apart on me.
>>
>>27159498
>daily pushups
For what purpose? To impress others with the amount of pushups you can do? It's one of the least useful exercises function-wise. You should work on back amd core strength for pure usefulness. But then again you sound like you don't know anything about how your muscles work besides what memes tell you so I'm probably wasting my time
>>
>>27159323

Our bodies are built for distance running.
>>
>>27159323
wrong, in primitive times we used to tire out our preys stalking them for miles.
Do you think we can run faster than anything other than an elephant or smt?
>>
>>27159635

>To impress others with the amount of pushups you can do?

I do them at home, in my room. I only go outside to RUN.

>you don't know anything about how your muscles work besides what memes tell you

I basically just do the exercises my cross country coach made us do. I also do sit ups.
>>
>>27159691
Our bodies are built for endurance, which is why you can walk for days. This is how people hunted ages ago. Speed is only useful in bursts. Have you ever seen any animal running at a moderate speed for extended periods of time?
>>
>>27159817
This is what I meant, walking is the natural way of movement. Sprinting is the way to increase performance of the cardiovascular system. And elephants are actually pretty fast once they get going desu
>>
>>27159820
Hat w to break it to you, but most coaches are retards. Find a good bodyweight routine, all you'll need is a pull-up bar. The only thing pushups can help you with is doing more pushups, you will neither see strength or notable looks improvement from them unless you keep doing harder variations or add weight. And regular situps fuck your spine.
>>
>>27159635
Pushups are great you don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>>27159984
What exactly do they help you with, besides doing more pushups? I will concede that doing harder variations as you go along has a purpose, but even that is limited.

I'm actually interested and okay with being proven wrong, what do you think is great about them?
>>
>>27159935
>you will neither see strength or notable looks improvement from them

I disagree. I noticed I had difficulty with some tasks at my shit job. After jogging and doing push ups for only a couple of months (really noticed a difference in just a month actually) , I had a much easier time and my arms look much more muscular.
>>
>>27160329
What kind of tasks? Your arms looking more muscular means you were incredibly untrained before, or are experiencing placebo. Pushups are a pressing motion and since most tasks in real life involve picking shit up they translate poorly. You might have gained some core stability though, which is immensely important.
>>
>>27158969
That went from running to something else way fast
>>
>>27161155
I push big things.
>>
>>27160117
>work all parts of chest with different variations
>increase general strength
>increase punching power
>build mental endurance
>can be done anywhere, with little space
>helps build core strength

Do 400 alternate days with 400 crunches on the other day, has greatly improved my strength and fitness.
>>
>>27162501
>>work all parts of chest with different variations
Congratulations, you worked all two parts of your chest. Sadly you can't do a proper progressive overload. You can get far with bw exercise, but it's far from optimal for strength. It's decent conditioning though.

>increase general strength
Bullshit. Increasing "general strength" is basically impossible unless you use every muscle in your workout. Closest equivalent is core strength I guess, but there's much better ways to do that. Planks, hyperextensions, leg Raises, to name a couple of bw examples, and deadlifts if you want to build an ACTUALLY strong core.

>build mental endurance
This is an incredibly retarded point. Anything that's remotely difficult builds mental endurance. For an actual hard exercise, try Squats and Deadlifts. Or full contact martial arts for functioning under pressure.

>can be done anywhere, with little space
This is true, but that applies to all bodyweight exercises.

>helps build core strength
As I already mentioned there's much better ways to do this.

I'm not saying pushups are inherently bad, but doing only puhups and crunches/situps like so many retards and then calling it a bw routine is absolutely stupid.

Oh, and I saved the best for last:
>increase punching power
See, this is how I know you're absolutely full of shit. Go ahead, try punching a dude with your amazing push up strength. Not only would a progressive overload with weights have given you more optimal results, but your "strength" doesn't even fucking matter. A punch that actually hurts is 30% technique, 50% body mass and maybe 20% strength. Your muscles stay relaxed until the very end, and the strength you do use comes from your hips and your core mainly, because you rotate into the punch.
>>
>>27162472
I would suggest building some leg strength and working on your core. Chest and triceps actually makes sense for you, but you need to remember to keep your back muscles in balance.
>>
>>27163129
Resistive training is so much better for punching power than weights, pushups are similar to shadowboxing with dumbbells in their nature. I'm an am boxer and we do and are told to do a lot of pushups.
>>
>>27163207
>resistive training
I assume you mean resistance training, and it's another word for training with a progressive overload.

But I agree that weights are not going to help you increase punching power, mainly because most types of lifts aside from Olympic ones form a bad habit (slow consistent exertion of force over time instead of explosiveness). But pushups aren't going to help much either, mainly because chest means fuckall for punching power. It's about rotating your core, feet, and wrist at the right moment and tightening your muscles just before impact. You're basically transferring force through your body into your fist, starting from the legs. Trainers aren't always 100% correct, and I assume he does it for conditioning.

>shadowboxing with dumbbells
Weighted punches are the single greatest way to fuck up your joints without even gaining anything from it. As I already explained, a proper punch isn't just "pushing your arm outward". It's about using the mass of your body as leverage and transferring that force into the opponent as fast as possible. Every time you do that you are ruining your punching technique, putting enormous stress on your elbows and shoulders in a moment when their musculature won't be assisting them 100% and accumulating wear and tear in one of the more sensitive joints of your body.

On the subject of how weight training can benefit a martial artist, for explosive movements core exercises and medium weight lifts emphasizing speed (all Olympic lifts, other lifts with less than maximum weight) can actually help a ton. Leg strength is also great to have, because you need to be as stable as possible to transfer all that energy as efficiently as possible right into your opponent's jaw.
Both increasing max strength and explosive oly lifts are incredibly useful for grappling, however. Technique is still king, but German suplexing that big dude in your wrestling group will be a hell of a lot easier.
>>
>>27158969
Do you listen to the dead kennedys or Jellos current band perhaps?
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.