[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else /match/ here? Ask a 4th year med student robot going
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: banner1.jpg (51 KB, 640x300) Image search: [Google]
banner1.jpg
51 KB, 640x300
Anyone else /match/ here? Ask a 4th year med student robot going into anesthesiology anything.
>>
Med students can't be robots. You're literally the most attractive profession.
>>
>>27160069
Still a 26 KV though. All the time not spent with friends and doing normie stuff allowed me to focus and study stuff.
>>
med student here. it is literally an aphrodisiac
>>
>>27158908
I want to be an anesthetist! Good luck to you!
>>
>>27158908
Eh, can you give me a lethal dose of morphine?
>>
>>27160520
What is?

How can this not be original? Stupid robot
>>
File: 1422357412205.jpg (37 KB, 400x386) Image search: [Google]
1422357412205.jpg
37 KB, 400x386
Can you swipe me some of that sweet sweet ketamine, OP? I need to go exploring the universe and the world's supply of MXE's all dried up.
>>
>>27158908
>anesthesiology
you're not a doctor
>>
>>27160922
Sure bro. Say that to me when I'm in charge of your life during surgery. Anesthesiologists are basically intensive care doctors with focus in the operating room.
>>
File: 1337796199568.jpg (29 KB, 469x359) Image search: [Google]
1337796199568.jpg
29 KB, 469x359
>>27158908

Congrats man, anesthesiology is a great specialty.

I'm just a lowly first year right now and don't really know what I want to specialize in yet. Anyway, how were your Step 1 scores? Did you do research? Any other extracurricular stuff to look nice for residency programs?
>>
>>27160651
Sorry bro, it would take alot of morphine to really kill you. It's a controlled substance so someone would know it's missing.

>>27160920
Ketamine on the other hand is handed out like candy. Would totally get you a vial.

>>27161218
I had 245 step 1 and 255 step 2. Great recommendation letters. Didn't spill my spaghetti during my interviews. That was about it. I don't think you have to be that high for anesthesia though. A 235/245 will do fine. Unless you're really into research and want to go to a big research hospital, it doesn't really matter much. There are plenty of places that are very clinically focused. Extracurriculars don't mean shit.
>>
File: 38_image_013.jpg (121 KB, 610x794) Image search: [Google]
38_image_013.jpg
121 KB, 610x794
What's a good accelerator I can use to set fire to my arm, but that won't stick long enough to eat the entire thing. Something that burns out fast, I suppose, but lingers long enough to cause full thickness?
>>
>>27161376

Awesome, thanks for the info. How was studying for step 1? I keep hearing this is the biggest test of my career and I'm already shitting my pants. I don't want to bomb this shit and risk being the 1% that doesn't match.
>>
How do I get into it from scratch?
Tons of extra curricular activities and such?

Also I'm 29, is that too old to start?
>>
>>27161064

your only job is making sure you've delivered the correct dose of an anesthetic. trust me, you'll be the first """doctor""" to get automated out of a job.
>>
>>27161592
I read through FA about 5x. Did Uworld and took notes. That was about it. No real magic to it. Really just comes down to your ability to process information and take tests. Though I did study pretty hard for each class during my first two years so that helped.

>>27161669
What does "scratch" mean? Total time it takes is 4 years undergrad + 4 years medical school + 4 years of anesthesia residency. Then add in 250K debt.

>>27161778
It makes me happy people like you out there think that. Hope you'll be the first to try out these machines and die on the table when all your vitals start crashing.

protip 1: Aside for kids and eldery, all doses of anesthetics are standardized so there's no measuring.

protip 2: Anesthesia is a huge field, contrary to what your ignorant mind believes. Some aspects include regional, general, ICU, post-anesthesia care, pain management, and all the other subspecialites (cardiothoracic, neuro, pediatrics, etc.)

protip 3: What you're simplifying things to is called "Monitored Anesthesia Care". Where you receive a small amount of sedative and lightly put you to sleep for a short 10 minute procedure. They're already testing machines for that. However, since there are a wide variety of individual reactions to drugs that can't be simply be accounted for by dose, I would love to see what the machine does if you stop breathing. The few dollars your insurance company saves will totally be worth it.
>>
You fuckers think your so smart. You wouldn't last a month in chemical engineering. Soft sciences BTFO
>>
>>27161508
source on image? reverse not turnin anything up.
>>
>>27158908
MS-3 here. Applying to anesthesia, too. Congrats, man, I'm less jealous and more stressed for when my time comes. Fuck, dude...

Also, what kind of program did you get into? If advanced, what intern year did you get? Is it in the same school or will you have to move?

>>27161592
Uworld. A lot. FA is NOT ENOUGH. Do at least one other qbank, too.

>>27161669
Undergrad from decent uni with 3.5+ GPA, 32+ MCAT, research, and extracurriculars. EMT, peace corps (or doctors w/o boirders, etc.), and actual health care experience are all incredibly powerful resume features.

>>27162113
You're wrong, unfortunately. I've spoken to multiple MSTPs that do hard science for Ph.Ds (biomech engi, chem, biochem, etc), and the general consensus is that med school is massively worse. That said, it's all subjective; I hope your job is fulfilling, anon.
>>
>>27162715
The official result to where we matched is released Friday. We just found out today if we matched or not. But from the my communications with the program, I most likely got into my number one which is categorical and near my home, different school. But for intern years I applied all transitional years which are the easiest and give you most leeway in terms of electives. Though the competition for these is tough since all the derm and optho residents want these.
>>
>>27162806
>Transitional years are sompetitive as fuck
Yeah, I know; I'm not even going to try lol. My 218 is barely enough for Anesthesia at all, so I'll just send a shitload of apps to low-tier schools with a few moonshots and my home school, and hope to god I match.

That said, even if you don't get any of the transition years, you can just scramble for some random-ass IM prelim somewhere...
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.