[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Job interviews
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: bad_interview_questions.jpg (72 KB, 787x445) Image search: [Google]
bad_interview_questions.jpg
72 KB, 787x445
Holy shit, I just got my first call back from a job application I sent. I missed the call and am going to be returning it tomorrow.

I'm so fucking nervous and scared, any wagecucks have advice on the interview process?
>>
Shameful bump
>>
>>27158750
What job anon?
fuck the damn bot
>>
>>27159859
Software engineer at a very big company.
It'll be my first job in 5 years.
>>
>>27159899
Oh shit make sure you're prepared. But don't overthink things too much.
Good luck anon!
>>
Practice your responses to the universal questions. The ones you can find online like:

"Describe a time you faced disagreement in a group and how did you approach it"

"How do you handle difficult situations."

Shit like those. Pre-write those and practice your responses.

If you're done answering an interview question, just stop. Don't try to fluff the end. Answer it and stop when you're done.
>>
Drugs

Original
>>
>>27160142
I appreciate the advice, I will do so anon.
>>
File: java.png (86 KB, 287x428) Image search: [Google]
java.png
86 KB, 287x428
>>27159899
I'm a software engineer for a small company, but I've interviewed at big companies, and I've conducted a few interviews for devs myself.

Attire: Dress one level above the office. It's perfectly alright to ask what most people wear around the office prior to the interview. If they wear jeans, dress business casual. If they dress business casual, put on a suit.

Soft questions: There will probably be some bullshit softball questions from HR, especially if this is a big corporation. These are to gauge your attitude. E.g., I was once asked how I would "deal with" a coworker who wasn't delivering. What you want to do here is give the politically correct answer, and always frame the response in a way that indicates you value teamwork. I never asked people these questions because they're mindless.

Technical questions: This is where most of the people I interviewed bombed, and I was not hard on them. If anything I was very easy. Some people did truly horrible. One guy hung up in the middle of a phone interview after getting several Ruby questions wrong in a row. Don't say, "I don't know." If you're not sure, it's alright to say you're not sure, but follow up with an educated guess and explain your methodology. Since this is a dev position, you should review beforehand. If you listed some language or framework on your resume, be able to hold a fluent conversation about it.

At the end of the interview they will always ask "do you have any questions." Have a question. It doesn't matter what. Ideally have a few questions. I'm a developer, here are some things I would ask:
1. How do they do code reviews;
2. How do they do source control;
3. How do they track issues;
4. How is overtime handled;
5. How is testing handled.

Don't worry if you fuck up, there's lots of other people hiring.
>>
>>27160142

Follow-up to this post:

Shake everyone's hand who's present. Looks at everyone when answering questions, not just the person who asked it.
Ask to sit down: "May I?" While gesturing to the chair. It sounds stupid, but it's old etiquette in someone else's space that no one teaches you but is expected.
Have copies of your CV or resume on hand.
>>
>>27158750
Your #1 priority is to chill out before you walk in the door. Before you go into the bulding just medidate for a few minutes. Literally sit and pay attention to the air leaving / entering your nose.

Before that, prepare a bit. 0. Hope you can code so this isn't pointless. 1. Be able to talk about your resume and/or your skills and/or your trainability (be able to play up the good parts, be able to pivot away from, or at least mitigate the bad parts). 2. Figure out what sorts of shit they might ask you, and come up with some answers in advance. 3. Look up the company a bit. Come up with some questions about the environment and about the company. If the interview goes well, you will probably be asked if you have any questions.

3.5 you want the interviewer to like you. This isn't you on a date at age 16; the interviewer is not a shotgun-polishing father. If you can just "be friendly", be friendly.

4. If it goes well and you make round 2/3/whatever, don't fuck up salary negotiation by saying a number before they do.

I was a NEET for a year and change after college and was legitimately confused when I got the nice white-collar job I have now. Just let it happen / good luck, dude
>>
>>27160209

I can't speak for your business, but many nowadays appreciate when you ask questions about their company's culture (yes, I know that sounds like bullshit). But it can be one more opportunity to demonstrate that you're a good fit in their community.
>>
>>27160293
It's only bullshit if you're long-term unemployed or have no frame of reference.

Depending on the situation I might make a financial lateral move if the new place was comfier in other ways
>>
This thread just solidifies the fact that I can't function in society

I literally don't understand how anyone does interviews
>>
>>27160361

Take some comfort in the fact that there are classes dedicated on how to interview well. Most people probably don't know how to do interviews because admittedly there's a lot of shitty ritualism to follow.

You aren't alone, even among normies.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.