[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
should I become a welder?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: 1454355149603.jpg (73 KB, 600x500) Image search: [Google]
1454355149603.jpg
73 KB, 600x500
yo /r9k/ so currently I am a neet, its pretty decent but sometimes I get bored and I dont have much extra spending money for vacations and a car and shit.

Currently I have the opportunity to be trained and hired as a welder, it pays really good, like $35k per year. However I absolutely hate manual labor and would not fit in at all with my coworkers. However I would be able to get over that part, the part that worries me the most is the health risks. Welding creates toxic metal fumes that you can inhale which is super bad for your health. I would love the money, but my health is my #1 priority.

Any welders on here? Is it worth it? What other good jobs could I get as a NEET?
>>
>>27152003
i would REACT on her tits so hard.
>>
>>27152003
Just do it. You'll get over hating manual labor, and you can move up or just be an inspector. All jobs like that are going to be 'bad for your health', hell, any job that has you on your feet, from the kitchen to the mine, is gonna fuck you up in some way.
>>
Dad's a welder, i did the job for a few weeks to help on site.

If you're smart then there are big opportunities to earn more. A lot of labourers get into the job as they don't have an education and more then you'd think are really intelligent within their trade and earn a lot and have a pretty good standard of living. Also fumes are not a big deal with protective equipment, just never think for a second that it's appropriate to take off your mask or goggles.

But never turn town free training on a trade.
>>
>>27152003
lucky, howd you get that opportunity? please take it. Alot of have no connections and no opportunities, this is your chance to make it right! I think it would be a pretty laidback job and maybe you'd even feel proud of yourself I mean I feel proud of myself everytime I try to cook a new reciepe and it makes me feel happy
>>
>>27152003

I usually have to do some weekly maintenance welding in my job. It's not a bad job and knowing how to weld decently is a really neat skill to possess, fumes are not too bad if you're welding clean steel, if you end up welding galvanized or other forms of coated steel you need to be careful with ventilation tho. Also, as the other anon pointed out, if you take your certificates and so on you can end up very well paid.

Other peripheral positive aspects are probably that one will appreciate coming home and chilling with some vidya/anime/etc. way more after a days work, and the satisfaction of making a flawless seam is not to be underestimated either. Had some midget come by with a broken lawnmower handle the other day, had all the gear in place, adjusted and managed to make a pretty excellent and quick job, guy went "damn, you're good at this".
>>
Wear a respirator, clean your face, clean your hands.
Do it for five years, git gud, become an inspector and never have to weld again but get paid way more.
>>
>>27152003
That's fake right? R-right?
>>
File: hahayeahzoinksman.jpg (27 KB, 500x359) Image search: [Google]
hahayeahzoinksman.jpg
27 KB, 500x359
>>27152003
Dude fuckin' do it.
You'd have to get through the basics,and I don't know how your co-workers'd be, but once you know what you're doing, you'll have a rad-ass craft and you'll be making money doing something only you can do.

>Do it Op
>>
>>27152003
Yeah dude it's the one job they can't outsource or automate right? I mean a welding machine can't weld itself right? That would be insane.
>>
>>27152003
don't be stupid

where i live a welder drove around with his tanks in the back of his truck unsecured, a spark went off, and his truck literally exploded downtown
>>
Is that really her? Why is she taking these pictures?
>>
>>27152003
I am a welder, I don't recommend getting into it right now, there's no work and I was laid off. Wait until oil goes back up.
>>
>>27152003
Scuba welders make a lot of money
>>
>>27154585
>>27153327
>>27152015
Needing some answers brahs...!
>>
>>27155738
It's obviously a shoop
>>
i was in the same boat as you 7 months ago and i'm about to finish my welding course in a month. if you have the opportunity to be trained and hired as a welder from the get go i would encourage you to hop on that chance. there are a lot of normies in the trade but they are all good people at heart, just look at it as an opportunity to grow, anything is better than the neet life
>>
The health warnings for welding are overblown.

I know 4 welders, all in their late 50s and in good health. As long as you pay attention and wear good equipment, you'll be fine, and if you make a good wage and are wise enough with it, you could easily retire before your 50th birthday.
>>
>>27152003
You won't last, so don't even bother.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.