[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do people have free will? Do non-human animals have free will?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 1446907558351.png (9 KB, 255x198) Image search: [Google]
1446907558351.png
9 KB, 255x198
Do people have free will?
Do non-human animals have free will?
Do trees have free will?
>>
No to all three, but believing in it is good though.
>>
>>27144244
Believe or "go with the flow"
>>
>>27144209
Objectively, no, but what we have is close enough to where we can pretend that we do.
>>
Everything has free will. The belief of destiny/fate is the same as believing in a God. That there is a master plan and everything is already set in stone.

Everything we see as fate is just coincidences we try to make into a logical pattern.
>>
We have free will because we have consciousness. When we study things as scientists, we have to look in from the outside. From an outside perspective, bodily functions and so on are deterministic. But it's not possible to look outside of our own consciousness. We definitely have control over the way we interpret information and the way we act. If we didn't then you wouldn't be reading this.
>>
Were bound to nature
Free will is god's plan buddy
>>
Probably not. Probably not. Nope.
>>
we have free will as far as our environment limits us
>>
>>27145778
I like this answer

Justincasethebottriesrogetme
>>
>>27144209
Trees have tree will.
>>
>>27145856
its true

why put someone in a prison? because that environment limits their free will and we as humans consider that a punishment

the free will of the white man in america extends rather far to the point where we cant see the limit of our free will so it often goes unconsidered

I think I get these ideas from ayn rand
>>
>>27144912
this. no is the only correct answer. free will can not exist because of causation.
>>
Free will is a meaningless phrase. It has a lot of intellectual baggage that simply flies under the radar in asking something like this. For example:
>>27145973
You're engaged in circular reasoning, because you're implicitly asserting that there's causality in such a way that it repudiates free will, then using that to repudiate free will.

The first question is, what would constitute free will? What would the universe have to look like for us to have free will, and does the universe look like that? But those are ultimately nonsense questions, which is why the original question is nonsense.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.