[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else irritated by retro gaming nostalgia?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 20
File: retro.jpg (42 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
retro.jpg
42 KB, 600x400
It just is infuriating to me to see people fetishize retro gaming as like the golden age of gaming. The length at which people go to identify and show off their memorabilia with a gone era feels like downright mentally illness.
>>
>>27110813

Yeah it's pretty annoying but a lot of those games were objectively great too, anon.

I feel the same about a lot of things, for instance Majora's Mask really was a great game ruined by (some of) its fans
>>
It's pretentious and elitist.
Also those parents who force their kids to play retro games because they feel like it should be part of their education.
>>
File: 1437370287238.jpg (1 MB, 2816x2112) Image search: [Google]
1437370287238.jpg
1 MB, 2816x2112
>>27110813
you sound like a poor faggot
>>
>>27110813
Snes is god tier
nes is pretty shitty
n64 is ok
playstation aged like milk
sega genesis is ok but inferior to snes

If you want to get an old game system, get snes.
>>
>>27110813
Trearing ones tastes as something defining ones worth. I can't decide if it's irritating, sad or cringeworthy.
>>
>>27110927
Games honestly haven't improved in gameplay since xbox/ps2/gamecube. Graphics are better but games really aren't any better today.
>>
>>27111016
It's not about better gaming but rather being a pretentious faggot. Hurr durr, my gaming choices are soooo speshul and unique.
>>
>>27111060
I just keep them for parties desu. People love to play old shit when they're drunk or high at my place. I don't play videogames anymore. They bore me.
>>
>>27110927
>buying all those toys and not even opening them
For what purpose?
If you're a fan of megaman or whatever, you're not going to sell them, so aftermarket 50 years later is no reason.
>>
it's pretty pathetic. these types of people are just an updated form of the arcade gaming purist faggots, like in that documentary the king of Kong.

I remember watching a youtube video made by some weird fuck who was offering to pay anyone $1000 if they could recreate some specific glitch in Mario 64. who fuck cares this much about such trivial horseshit in a 20+ year old game?
>>
>>27111102
Whatever. You like'em you play'em. Just don't be a flaming faggot about it.
>>
Fuck off OP. The Gamecube was the greatest console of all time. Retro gamer for life.
>>
File: 1450659286369.jpg (541 KB, 792x1014) Image search: [Google]
1450659286369.jpg
541 KB, 792x1014
>Mfw backwards compatibility
>>
>>27111060
That shit ain't exclusive to retro gamers. Look at all these autistic fucks playing Dark Souls and Bloodborrne because m-muh hard game.
>>
>>27110813
Can you blame them? Vidya is shit nowadays.
>>
>>27110813
You're missing the point OP. It's literally for the nostalgia, and some of the games are still pretty fun
>>
>>27111105
why in the fuck would anyone open something they'd never play with and decrease the value for no reason?
>>
File: black-man-disgusted-look.jpg (118 KB, 334x500) Image search: [Google]
black-man-disgusted-look.jpg
118 KB, 334x500
>>27110927
>wasting your money on literally childrens playtoys

you are the wretched scum of society, you should be shot and your money should be given to donations
>>
>>27111547
>wasting money
>retro game values have spiked in the past few years

I bet that guy's collection is worth twice what he paid for it. don't be jealous you weren't smart/wealthy enough to invest when it was worthwhile to do so
>>
File: MarioBob.jpg (145 KB, 320x475) Image search: [Google]
MarioBob.jpg
145 KB, 320x475
>>27110813
Fucking Nintenyearolds man
>>
>>27111575
fucking lol

collectors make me sick. yep, I'm sure your unopened gold ocarina of time game will be worth thousands one day
>>
>>27110813
People that fetishize retro gaming and people whose main hobby is gaming will die and their only accomplishment in life will be that they lived their whole lives distracted playing video games.
>>
>>27111625

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MEGA-MAN-5-Nintendo-NES-Game-Still-Sealed-RARE-/221985343218?hash=item33af5b86f2:g:GQoAAOSwKtlWidnU

>cost 59.99 at retail
>sells for 1k+ now

you are fucking retarded
>>
>>27111672
Some people have more money than senses.
>>
File: HS5rnnI.jpg (55 KB, 680x598) Image search: [Google]
HS5rnnI.jpg
55 KB, 680x598
>>27111575
Sure, PRETEND you were going in from a business standpoint, PRETEND you aren't just a fucking immature manchild

y-you'll sell it one day, you're sure.. it's all for business..
>>
>>27111648

you know people can have hobbies and still improve their character. Life is all about balance.
>>
>>27111672
the only reason for that is dumb fuck collectors, are you retarded? no sensible person would buy that or give a shit.

if you think video games are a good investment you are a fucking moron.
>>
>>27111737
>having unproductive hobbies

being a gamer is no different than having a problem with drug addiction.

You stop existing while you use it and when you resume reality, your life continues as though you never used it because nothing you did was productive.

RTS and Grand Strat are the only passable ones.
>>
File: thisisaboutyourpost.jpg (63 KB, 482x480) Image search: [Google]
thisisaboutyourpost.jpg
63 KB, 482x480
>>27111699
as if all your tendies and weed will ever be worth anything, at least that manchild spending doubles as an investment. you're biggest accomplishment is not clogging the toilet after spending 30 dollars at taco bell
>>
File: flippy.jpg (49 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
flippy.jpg
49 KB, 499x499
>>27111760
>no sensible person would buy a rolex
>no sensible person would buy a rolls royce
>no sensible person would buy anything I can't afford

just because you're a poorfag doesn't make it an insensible investment. as long as there's a market, it's a good investment. and people will always want this shit to relive their childhood.

neets who can't afford shit on suicide watch
>>
>>27111834
found the retarded collector

better buy some unopened ps2 games, maybe in 30 years your investment will double!
>>
File: flat,800x800,075,t.jpg (99 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
flat,800x800,075,t.jpg
99 KB, 800x800
>>27111771
>Implying I waste money on hobbies that I get nothing out of
>>
i love old games. i hate it when people say that they were always the best kinds of games

sure there are some great gems, but most of the shit that came out on the atari? nah. most of the 85-95 games? meh.

it's a hobby though. any hobby is bad when it takes over.
>>
>>27111771
Randal..... You need be more PC bro.

Don't say queer.
>>
I love 16/32 bit era console RPGs but it's not like anyone outside /vr/ knows of it.
>>
I play retro games because I can just download a full romset for a console and emulate it all for free.
Its much cheaper than buying current games.
>>
File: IMAG0785.jpg (2 MB, 3808x2144) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0785.jpg
2 MB, 3808x2144
older technology has good aesthetics
>>
>>27110813
No way, retro games are generally way better. I'm 32, though.
>>
what they miss is the ability to have a functioning family in a moral society that raises strong willed children.

our civilization is dead, though its carcass still stands. These people only have the 90s as a memory of when that civilization had its final few heartbeats.
>>
>>27111336
enjoy being spoonfed AAA diarrhea pleb
>>
STRAIGHT UP BUSTA
GROVE ST SENPAI

How bout a lil cof-fee?
>>
>>27112656
Nah, I just miss good games. I hate reactionary, traditionalist society. I'm having kids btw.
>>
>>27112789
at 30 when your ovaries are shriveled up, right?
>>
>>27110813
Depends really on what you mean by nostalgia, anon.

If its the healthy respect, and indeed fondness, for what has come before, it's perfectly understandable.

If it's the sort of elitist, dickish attitude, that nothing that comes after will ever live up to "Super Mario Bros" et al., that the neckbearded cunts of this world have, then it's greatly irritating, considering that it's wrong...
>>
>>27112831
I'm 32, male and married. My wife's 20
>>
It's not so much the fact that retro gaming is fetishized, it's that the people who claim to be lelsoretro gamers are the same people who thought gamers and nerds were the biggest fucking losers 15 years ago when the technology was still newish.

Apparently it's completely fine to do cringy things if they are old and/or Chad is doing it.
>>
File: 1430491469528.png (25 KB, 256x240) Image search: [Google]
1430491469528.png
25 KB, 256x240
I don't shun more recent generations of games, but they're honestly not that appealing to me. The gaming industry seemed to reach its apex around the fifth and sixth generations. Games released from that point on have mostly just been improvements in graphics detail. To me, playing Dark Souls is no more or less fulfilling than playing King's Field. At their core, they're the same thing.

I suppose some of the recent trends and standards of current generations also bug me, like the infinitely more complex (and consequently more fragile) hardware configurations. I can easily emulate retro consoles on most any device, but if I had a PS4 that broke down, I'd be screwed out of hundreds of dollars and left with no way to continue playing my library of PS4 games.

Then there's shit like constant QTEs and emphasizing a cinematic experience over actual gameplay.
>>
>>27110813
>irritated
>by manchildren
huh? how do you even hear about people like this?all they do is masturbate and buy shit online. no they don't irritate me, they are the easiest kind of male clients to milk for money. they are the equivalent of women who need new cosmetics or shoes all the time.
>>
>>27112892
L I T T L E M I X E D R A C E C H I L D R E N
>>
I find collecting things odd in general

you get about 70 to 80 years if you are healthy, its not that long

the stuff you are amassing will out live you
you have to worry about keeping that stuff until you are dead
the money drained
>>
File: 1453215583181.jpg (7 KB, 246x205) Image search: [Google]
1453215583181.jpg
7 KB, 246x205
>>27111575
you would make more money wage slaving a few weekend a month then what it cost to buy and sit on shit.
Whoopdo a $90(after inflation) game now sells for $300. Good job you made a $210 profit. That's about 20 hours of work and it only took you about 10 fucking years.

Seriously you want something to be your fetish idol go for it I don't give a fuck but don't lie to us or yourself that there are any real perks.
The perk is someone is going to have a hoot of a flip when he claims all that shit when you are dead.
>>
>millennials: the thread
>>
>>27113140
>Good job you made a $210 profit
>not even enough to buy a next gen system
>might not even be enough for groceries depending on the size of the family
That really puts in perspective considering how much money and many times time lost to obtain those things.
>>
>>27110813
>ggrrrr people have hobbies and are enjoying themselves!

Sucks for you huh
>>
File: 415236436784957809.jpg (118 KB, 700x1574) Image search: [Google]
415236436784957809.jpg
118 KB, 700x1574
>>27113000
it's a dick waging contest that many times is just in your head
it's the whole
>"aw dude I love item X it goes for $$$ thought"
>"Heh I have item X"
>"omg you are soo cool Im so jelly"
factor that will likely not happen that often and even if it did the concept is very fleeting because as you get older fewer and fewer people care in general and the generation you are from you are going to have pic related at best happen to you.
>>
>>27110813
You can't deny there's an immediacy to the play for which contemporary games have substituted in garbage cutscenes.
>>
>>27111575
>spiked
u mean inflation right? nothing has increased in value cuck boi
>>
I was born in 90, i got to play the old consoles, i respect the role those games had on my life, and i can get nostalgic a little bit, but i dont masturbate over retro games or pixel art.

2D games are, by limitation, simpler games. I have a lot of fun with Snaker, Tetris, Sidescrollers when i'm in transit and my phone or eyes can't run 3D.

It seems it is popular to imitate an early style of pixel art, complete with chiptunes. It is ungenuine because not all pixel art was ugly. Maybe in the 1980's, but as soon as color palettes allowed for more, guess what, pixel art got better, it was using newly available technology, but now hipster pixel artists choose to forget that, partly because they can't draw pixel art worth anything.

So i do enjoy my Dark Souls because it looks like people actually care about aesthetics and atmosphere. When i play modern pixel games it feels like i'm inside a manchild's mind, because all i can see is a caricature of what gaming was.
>>
>>27113000
I know a couple people who collect shit, not video games, but stuff like guitars and cars and things like that. the collector mentality is just disgusting. they buy shit they will never use and just let it sit around just so they can say "yep, got that." this whole notion of collectors selling their collections is also mostly wrong, they usually just cling on to their shit and refuse to get rid of it because "it's mine"

the ones who are forced to sell their shit always ask for top dollar and won't budge.

collectilors are almost always get pathetic.
>>
>>27110813
>he's gonna take you back to the past
>when a black man enjoyed james' wife's ass
>he'd rather have
>a black man
>put a giant black cock in his wife
>he'd rather watch
>the rotten asshole
>of his wife getting fucked by a black cock
>he's the angriest cuckold you've ever heard
>he's the angry cuckoldry nerd
>he's the angry black cock loving nerd
>he's the angry cuckold nerd
>>
>>27112892
tell story
>>
>>27113456
did u just come up with this?
>>
I don't really get it. Out of the hundreds of games to come out for the NES and SNES systems, maybe a few dozen were good.
>>
How can you not love the birth of vidya for everyone?

Try something else to feel edgy and controversial about, next
>>
File: 473468736859469.png (50 KB, 333x310) Image search: [Google]
473468736859469.png
50 KB, 333x310
>>27113536
nostalgia and brand name
Nintendo is the only company that for 25 years straight was releasing hit after hit and had such a huge icon as Mario.
Things have changed in the last 5 years and I truly feel we are nearing the twilight of this shit mattering. Hell most people that grew up with a SNES are in there 30s now and most people that grew up with the 64/PS1/Saturn gen are in their mid 20s or later.
hell most college kids grew up with PS2 and Xbox. That means the gen coming up were raised with 360 and PS3.
Fear not soon people will post

>I don't really get it. Out of the hundreds of games to come out for the Gamecube and Wii systems, maybe a few dozen were good.

because THAT will be the retro culture.
>>
File: Hatred vs Undertale.jpg (804 KB, 4200x2468) Image search: [Google]
Hatred vs Undertale.jpg
804 KB, 4200x2468
>>27113378
>It is ungenuine because not all pixel art was ugly

This. Beautifully said. Shitty hipster pixel devs don't realize that 90's devs tried their best to make games look as nice as possible - see Sonic, Vectorman, etc.

Pic related is a tongue-in-cheek comparison, it's not meant to be completely serious, but I think it makes a great point about Undertale being a so-called "10/10 game" yet has some of the absolute worst pixel art in any game EVER made, including games from the early 90's.
>>
>>27113302
>"omg you are soo cool Im so jelly"

Retro gamers really aren't like this. It's just the reseller scum and collectors. Even /vr/ gets on their cases.

Most of us just pirate, albeit sometimes on real hardware with burned discs or Flash carts.

>"aw dude I love item X it goes for $$$ thought"

You should see how bad the Magic: the Gathering scene is.
>>
>>27111575
>retro game values have spiked in the past few years

It's not all supply and demand. Resellers usually buy up large quantities of the same games and hoard them in their basements, thereby artificially driving up their value.
>>
>>27110813
>>27111625

Retro gaming used to be about the games. There wasn't really a culture to go along with it.

Around 5 years ago, the "collector" mentality and speed running and the rise of "geek" culture turned it into the irritating and faggy thing it is today. I hardly ever go to used game shops anymore.
>>
>>27114155
Same use to love them a few years ago but now it's just "im a nurd" culture
>>
>>27114155
speed running is so lame

what type of person actually wants to sit there and put that much effort into beating a 25+ year old game that no one gives a shit about as fast as possibe

what the fuck is that? I'm guessing an Asian came up with speed runs, because they're all soulless mechanical robots.
>>
>>27110813

The worst thing about retro games is the over saturation of side scrolling platformers. The best ones are timeless classics, though. Just like how today, just about every blockbuster title is a fucking FPS. Not to mention all the rpg games now that spoon feed you quests by giving you waypoints instead of actually making you comprehend what npc's tell you.

Older games generally presented more of a challenge. That challenge has been replaced by online multiplayer, and single player games are so easy now, that they aren't even really fun, just something to occupy your time. Playing Fallout 4 on survival is a walk in the park, for example.

Today's video games are a product of short attention spans and constant whining.
>>
File: controller.jpg (478 KB, 1464x832) Image search: [Google]
controller.jpg
478 KB, 1464x832
>>27110813
>he doesnt replay all of his childhood favorite games with all of the 15 years of romhacks done on them to make them harder and completely new games
>>
>>27114244
Every culture has to create an insider/outsider dynamic.

Speed running is a way of generating "cred" that gets you a higher spot in the culture.
>>
>>27114244
speedrunning is awesome. but im a theorycraft nerd.

>>27114646
>dem fingernails
girl or wizard?
>>
>tfw you can play their shitty ass "retro" games in-browser
online-console.com
>>
>>27114690
feminine weener
>>
>>27114244
>speed running is so lame

But damned entertaining to watch. Who doesn't want to see Samus use her mad skillz to curb stomp Mother Brain's generals in under 30 minutes?
>>
I would never sell one of my video games.
Thats a fucking sin.
>>
>>27110813

It was the golden era of gaming. Gaming was more of the wild west back then and more innovators were willing to come up with new ideas. Now everyone sticks to standard formulas.

Graphics today look more like photorealistic motion pictures. They do not have the artistic style that old games had. Games had more color and charm, where today they are bland and gritty.
>>
>>27115454
I sold all my snes games and the console to ebgames like 15 years ago just so I could buy an ounce of weed

does this trigger you? because I really don't regret it
>>
I actually appreciate 90's games on skill level and technical level. I'm also wishing I could have been a teen in the 90's, it really seemed like a good ass time. Being poor in the 00's meant you mostly lived like a 90's kid, but I would have loved being 17 in 1994 or some shit.
>>
What happens when all the old consoles are worn out or taken?
>>
>>27111016
>xbox/ps2/gamecube
>retro gaming

What?
>>
>>27114646
>tfw have this controller but lost my usb plug-in
>>
>>27115653
Im only;y triggered by the fact you sole them to ebgames and probably got no money for your games. You couldve done better using craigslist and avoiding the corporate combine duuuude!
>>
>>27110966
>playstation aged like milk
>MML1+2
>crash
>spyro
>final fantasy 7 + tactics
all of these games are still worth playing
>>
>>27115903
there was no Craigslist back then. I don't think eBay was around either
>>
>>27115653
So....you sold like $900 worth of games to ebgames for $200? Are you retarded?
>>
>>27116307
and who exactly would buy it? this was around the time the ps2 was coming out I think. snes wasnt 'retro' at that point, they were just worthless older games that had been collecting dust in my closet for years
>>
>>27116365
The point is that you dont sell it faggot.
>>
>>27116432
why..? I have no interest in playing any of those games

basically what I did back then is the equivalent of someone selling their ps2/ps2 games right now. who gives a shit about ps2? it's worthless
>>
>>27110813
I grew up playing the NES / SNES and I actually hate it. I just want to nostalgia in peace without it being shoved down my throat every second of the day on fb.
>>
>>27116536
>not having all of your systems set up in your room on a push button switchboard to play any of them at any time
>>
>>27111763
>i can't read The Post
He said life is all about balance. Meaning that you can have video games as a hobby and travel the fucking world as another hobby.

What's the difference between playing Monster Hunter while on a plane to Rome compared to sleeping while on a plane to Rome? Absolutely nothing.
>>
>>27117441
You're better off reading or practicing a productive hobby that actually improves you instead of filling your mind with static.
>>
>>27117456
>fedora.gif
>>
>>27117504
>here lies anon
>he played a lot of video games

I didn't know actually living life is considered fedora.
>>
>>27115454
I think about it occasionally

I haven't played any games in years (besides the roms on my psp) and just have 70+ ps2, ps1, dreamcast, psp/ds/3ds and gamecube games sitting under my bed
>>
>>27117570
one day when you clean your room you're going to look at those boxes and just say fuck it and throw them out

it's almost not even worth the effort trying to sell them
>>
>>27117631
>it's almost not even worth the effort trying to sell them
Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if I feel that way, the same thing happens whenever I try to sell books or clothing online. Some of the games are considered rare but overall I would prefer having a digital collection or ROMs instead of all these discs and cartridges taking up space.
>>
>>27115454
You have probably 100+ games, many of which won't be played through again, and yet you'd rather keep them laying around? Maybe pick one of the cases up every now and then to remark at how good of a game it "was" and set it down. Why? That's retarded.
>>
>>27111121
>>27111547
>>27111621
>>27111648
>>27111699

Who knew that /r9k/ of all places would be so judgy about other people's "pathetic hobbies."
>>
Iv got an old SNES under my desk next to my ups.
I turn it on maybe once a month to play some super double dragon.
Nobody ever sees it, nobody ever needs too.
Anybody who feels the need to appear "retro" is definitely a hipster and probably a poser.
>>
>>27111507
Because then why the fuck own them at all? I never understood this whether weeb or gamer. It doesn't feel like I actually own something until I remove it from the box and display it. Fuck value, I don't buy things just to sell them a few years down the line again unless I have no choice.
>>
>>27121184
Exactly.
>open my Amiibos? what the fuck do you mean?

Displaying a bunch of sealed toys to inflate your ego at the size of your collection or praying for the value to go up "some day" is so idiotic. Use something or don't buy it.
>>
>>27121184
>>27121216
Buying things that don't really have a function is pretty stupid. Posters are OK because they are for displaying something on the wall, though I usually rip them up after they're stale. Buying figures is pointless because they just sit there - they're not really like posters because they just take up space, not enhancing a room.
>>
>>27112892
>old hag
>able to have children
>>
I just hate all the scalpers.
>>
File: 1443318631345.png (269 KB, 296x554) Image search: [Google]
1443318631345.png
269 KB, 296x554
>>27110898
How was it ruined m8?
Ben drowned?
>>
>>27110813

>"I love old school games!"
>"what's doom?"
>"Raiden? Lol dunno what that is"
>"is worms like snake on old phones?"
>>
>>27111672

The real world value hasn't gone up, people just think they can now charge thousands for old consoles and games

The thing to note about that "selling for 1k" console is that nobody has BOUGHT it
>>
>>27111834

Cars depreciate in value they aren't a fucking investment, people who buy rolexes and rolls do it because they can afford to buy them, and because they can keep them forever or until they buy the next $10,000 watch or car that costs half a million dollars when they get bored of it.

Unless your business is selling used watches or used cars it's not an investment m8
>>
>>27110813
Yea but I'm happy to sell them their shit at stupid high prices though.
>>
File: 1413108614404.jpg (79 KB, 505x541) Image search: [Google]
1413108614404.jpg
79 KB, 505x541
>>27110813
>other people's hobbies annoy me
you have a personality disorder
>>
>>27122684
Found the insecure faggot who worships old game like a fucking loser.
>>
Physically collecting games is just silly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_degradation#Decay_of_storage_media

Digital storage mediums decay over time. That NES cartridge you bought is not going to be working a few decades from now, even if you are storing it in a good physical environment. Your games on CD/DVDs will also become unreadable within your lifetime.
Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.