[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>giving up and trying to get help I've never been on
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 7
>giving up and trying to get help

I've never been on a drug that helped my depression but effexor keeps being mentioned. Anyone ever tried this?

The only sort of effective drug I've taken is wellbutrin. It seemed to help and my sex drive went through the roof but i got really, really bad disassociation and no longer trusted myself driving.
>>
im desperate too anon. i hope we find something
>>
File: 1457403193856.jpg (311 KB, 744x687) Image search: [Google]
1457403193856.jpg
311 KB, 744x687
>>27096033
My mother was on this shit for years. Gave her DARK fucking dreams, suicidal thoughts, and terrible weight gain and nausia. Effexor is cancer do not even do it once. Medical meth might even be a better option for fuck's sake.
>>
I'm on it now mate. Helps a lot with anxiety but I get brain zaps around the 20-22 hour mark since last taken (half-life is pretty short for effexor).

Depression still the same, can't you tell? I'm still here.
>>
>>27096567
If you ever go off, you'll have a terrible six weeks of pain. Imagine a heroin comedown, but mixed with an electric chair.
>>
I use it, but a depot version so no brain zaps
I use 150mg daily and ... I am not good or bad... Anxiety its mostly under control and depression comes and go every now and them... Insomnia will be your companion tho
>>
>>27096033

I have been on several anti depressants over the years. Effexor gave me by far the worst side effects.
>>
File: 1456846569344.jpg (9 KB, 219x239) Image search: [Google]
1456846569344.jpg
9 KB, 219x239
>>27096707
that's why it's called side-effexor
>>
Effexor made me angry all the time and I had killed a cat while on it. I wouldn't recommend it family
>>
>>27096033
why would you take antidepressants when you'll only develop a tolerance to them and then become depressed again?
>>
>>27096033
Look everyone will tell you that effexor sucks balls and that withdrawing from it is terrible. Personally i loved it. I took it with remeron for 11 months and stopped cold turkey. No withdrawal problems and it totally turned my life around
>>
>>27097173
how did it helped you?
>>
>>27096033
Medfag here

>Effexor
SNRI; basically SSRI (e.g. zoloft, paxil), but with a different side effect profile. Works for depression and anxiety. Relatively benign drug; you should try it if you want.

>Mirtazipine
Good antidepressant with a side effect profile that includes increased sleep. If you have depression with sleeplessness (common), this is a good bet

>Tricyclics
Work kind of well, and work for weirder depressions, like ones with psychotic features, seizures, chronic pain, etc. Pretty bad side effect profile, though.

>Puproprion
Another weird one. Good for people who eat too much or have substance use issues with their depression.

>ECT
The final boss. Works amazingly well for some, but obvious undesirable side effect milieu.
>>
File: 1427328206401.jpg (75 KB, 535x577) Image search: [Google]
1427328206401.jpg
75 KB, 535x577
>>27096033
>>giving up and trying to get help

>mfw giving up on getting help
>>
>>27098409
Which medicine works best for recovering homosexuals?
>>
>>27096870
That's now how it work senpai
>>
>>27096033
Oh, it depends on your underlying personality, and if you repress hella shit.

This was the most recent antidepressant I tried. It only kinda took away a little of the sadness/obsession anxiety I had. It left me in this permanently agitated state. I started getting on physical altercations, screaming at people in public. Like roid rage. But it wasn't only in public. I'd go home and I wasn't even safe there. I felt like I had already checked out in life, pretty disassociated and I didn't even care that I was so removed. Then it started getting my dreams. I'd wake up crying, or afraid, feel like I've been screaming at night while asleep, all my dreams were nightmareish. I ramped down and then quit. Not it's just like. No more SSRI or SNRIs, I'll just take the crippling depression ajd eventual death, without the wack side effects.

Sorry in advance for grammar or syntax issues, I'm typing on my tablet from the bathtub. It's one of the places I go to avoid life
>>
File: 5646513182.jpg (43 KB, 495x720) Image search: [Google]
5646513182.jpg
43 KB, 495x720
>>27096033
I was depressed about 8 years ago. I was on citalopram, effexor and wellbutrin. I really don't think effexor helped me. It gave me hot flashes and killed my libido. It also made me numb to everything. I felt like a literal robot.

Forgetting to take it was also fucked. I would get panic attacks if I happened to be out in public. I'll never forget the day when I broke down shaking while trying to eat lunch at uni, overwhelmed by the amount of people around and my suicidal thoughts. Two girls actually came up to me and started asking if everything was all right. I was so fucking embarassed. Dark times, bro.

I've also taken it a couple times after my depression had become a thing of the past, to see what it's like. It made everything people said sound super interesting, but the comedown was by far the worst ever. Much worse than something like coke or MDMA. I kinda get why it'd fuck me up if I missed a day.

I wouldn't recommend it. A former coworker of mine also had problems with it. I wish you the best of luck, man. Things got a hell of a lot better for me over time, perhaps the same will happen to you.
>>
File: MAOI.png (6 KB, 431x250) Image search: [Google]
MAOI.png
6 KB, 431x250
>>27096033
MAOIs for life!
>>
effexor is an SNRI.
as someone who has taken basically every SSRI and a few tricyclics, STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM EFFEXOR.

you are playing a dangerous game, not unlike tramadol, when you take this shit. if it doesn't work you are going to go through god awful withdrawals that you wouldn't if you just took a normal SSRI (and maybe an antipsychotic adjunct like aripiprazole).

stay away from effexor and stay away from seroquel and zyprexa.
>>
>>27100869
>be american
>don't have access to reversible MAOI
>ingest tyramine or tryptophan
>die

better off taking something else.
>>
>>27100927
Just modify your diet accordingly.

It's a small price to pay to be free of depression.
>>
>>27100927
>ingest tyramine or tryptophan
>die

The dangers of maois are hugely overstated, unless you go full retard and mix it with mdma or meth. But yes, if you take an maoi and take 5 grams of typtophan like an idiot, you could have negative side effects. But just eating some turkey? Hell no.

However, that being said, the comedown and withdrawal are both definitely bad enough to avoid. Maois work amazingly for improving depression, but the comedowns are way too intense.
>>
File: ss+(2016-03-12+at+05.11.08).png (40 KB, 1000x284) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-03-12+at+05.11.08).png
40 KB, 1000x284
>>27100943
>can't eat any of these without playing dice with your life
>can't take OTC medications when you get sick or you die
there's a reason MAOIs are often skipped and you are moved to ECT/TMS.

in fact i would sooner refer someone resistant to SSRIs and tricyclics to ECT/TMS than I would prescribe an MAOI.
>>
>>27096033

I use the XR version of Efexor, it's been working pretty well. No more constant dread, panic attacks, want to kill myself 24/7. I feel like a normal person.
>>
>>27100981
Are you a psych?
>>
>>27101001
>Are you a psych?
i'm gonna say no so i don't get bombarded with questions
>>
>>27096033
At least you have the option of taking antidepressants.

I have HPPD hallucinogen persisting perception disorder. Anything that has a significant effect on serotonin, dopamine, norepinephrine, or acetylcholine I can't take. HPPD is weird and pretty much unheard of in the realm of psychiatry, and there aren't any known, 100% effective treatments.

Psychiatrists have tried antipsychotics (worsened symptoms in most cases), antidepressants (most worsen symptoms, some like bupropion have relatively no effect), benzos (works for some, but largely ineffective), lamotrigine (effective for some, ineffective for most), levetiracetam (works for some, ineffective for most), levodopa/carbidopa (works for about 1/3 of people, not enough people have tried this to get an accurate estimate), opioid antagonists, clonidine, supplements, ECT, TMS, tDCS, pretty much everything under the sun and nothing has really been effective.

However, some of those medications treat some of the symptoms. For example, benzos help with the associated anxiety, lamotrigine is effective for depersonalization/derealization, bupropion can help with depression for some.

Not being to take antidepressants really fucking sucks when you also have severe comorbid major depressive disorder. I can't take levodopa either because I'm schizoaffective, albeit mildly, and there's too much risk of it getting worse if I take levodopa.

So, I'm pretty much fucked.
>>
>>27101133
Has does that disorder impact your life?
>>
>>27101133
>I have HPPD
that's your own fault for taking too much LSD you junkie piece of shit.

i'm all for occasional hallucinogen use, but you don't get HPPD unless you seriously abuse them.

not the faggot definition of abuse, but serious abuse.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.