[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone please explain social etiquette regarding lecture
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: 356870.jpg (12 KB, 474x300) Image search: [Google]
356870.jpg
12 KB, 474x300
Can someone please explain social etiquette regarding lecture attendance in university?

What should one do if one is late?

At what point should one not show up in the lecture at all, with consideration to excessive lateness?

Please help I literally have an autism diagnosis and don't understand basic social etiquette

Please respond
>>
Just go to the lecture if you wan to, even if you are late. You have just as much right as anyone else to be there.
>>
>>27090769
Go whenever you feel like, come as you like, leave as you like.

Lecture attendance is voluntary.

If you have to deal with mandatory attendance, show up whenyou are expected to.
>>
If you're late you come in through the back door, carefully not slamming the door closed, and sit on the first seat you see, preferably one on the edge of the classroom/lecture hall. Make as little noise in taking your shit out, especially with zippers.

As for time, depends on the size. If it is small 20-60 person class, anything above 10 minutes is rude. If it is bigger (100+), 20 mins is the limit so long as you make as little noise as possible.
>>
>>27090769
>Can someone please explain social etiquette regarding lecture attendance in university?
the normies in your class will look down on you; this is true regardless of your attendance

>What should one do if one is late?
try not to distract the lecturer by making them aware of your worthless existence
usually this means get to your seat as quickly as possible causing as little noise as possible. However, "your seat" in this case is a stand-in for "a place where you can exist for the rest of the lecture making as little movement/noise as possible", which means that it may be more expedient to take another random seat or stand in the back, depending on circumstances
Hell, you could even stand in the aisle, but that would obviously cause problems once people start to get up. And the problem with any standing position is that taking notes from a standing position is likely to cause a suboptimal amount of noise.

>At what point should one not show up in the lecture at all, with consideration to excessive lateness?
it doesn't matter
the professor almost certainly doesn't give a fuck
and the normies will look down on you regardless
show up whenever you feel like you'd gain anything from hearing the last portion of the lecture, given that you missed everything leading up to it so far
>>
Hey thanks very much for your detailed response

Class size is definitely a variable that I need to be aware of so thanks for elaborating on that

>>27090982
My thanks to you as well. I very much appreciate the elaborate response. The more detail, the better.

You are indeed correct about normie condescension. Not that it's of any consequence to me; I'm really only concerned about unintentionally offending my professors.
>>
>>27090930
>>27091060

This post has content
>>
>>27091060
So long as you don't barge in, slam the door behind you, stand in the walkway a minute looking for your friends to sit with, and then proceed to go through half the lecture hall while passing through an entire row, you'll make yourself distinct as that "respectful" student in the eyes of the professor.
>>
>>27091206
Most of my courses have class sizes of less than 20 people though
>>
>>27091230
Maybe learn to get there on time then. Arriving several minutes before the beginning of the class might even give you the opportunity to talk with the other students.
>>
If USA, do whatever just don't disturb. In many European countries, that wouldn't be tolerated though.
>>
>>27091230
Why would you be late to your classes anon?
If its an accident i am sure the professor wont mind, but you should show up as much as possible so you can learn the material.
>>
>>27091269

^ He said it like a faggot but this. Enjoy yourself, go out and get fucked, but make sure you're attending your lectures
>>
whats this nigga going on about lettuce for
>>
>>27091261
>>27091269
>>27091318

Honestly I try to but I have, I guess what you could call "perfectionism" issues or whatever. I have an extremely rigid routine that I have to go through before leaving my dwelling.

I have to get out of bed AT MINIMUM 3 hours before leaving my dwelling. I have extremely rigid hygiene routines that I must adhere to. I have to check and double check everything. I have to lock my front door at least five times before I'm comfortable with leaving.

I shower for at minimum 20 minutes because I have to wash myself at least twice. It takes me half an hour to brush my teeth/attend to oral hygiene.

This behavior tends to manifest itself when I do academic work as well. It usually takes me far more time than it should to complete an assignment so I'm constantly crunched for time available to me.

I've been in university for over 4 years and I've never finished an exam in the allotted time.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.