[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do any of you guys ever hear, see, smell or feel things that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5
File: 1446678731350.jpg (79 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1446678731350.jpg
79 KB, 480x360
Do any of you guys ever hear, see, smell or feel things that trigger memories and an onslaught of depression, despair, nostalgia and hopelessness?

I'll try and give a few examples:

>See the base of the mountains at dusk
>Get reminded of my mid-teenage years where I would walk home, and see that sight after being with friends, and play WotLK WoW, and browse old /b/.
>Realize that all of my friends are gone
>I'm still here
>Pre-Cata WoW is garbage
>4chan makes me feel worse, not better.

>Go outside when it's cold/snowing
>Be reminded of when I was 9, walking back to the car from the mall with my parents when they were still together. Happy my Dad got me Christmas presents early. Excited to go play WCIII
>WCIII is now dead.
>My parents aren't together
>I'm no longer a child.

It's been happening to me for the past year and a half, recently I've been seeing/hearing/feeling things that make me nostalgic for experiences that I've never had.

Does anyone know what in the Hell this is?
>>
Yes. Mostly because I realize that I have wasted my life and navigated myself into a position where I have nothing to live for. Reminding myself of the times and moments which I wasted causes that despair and painful nostalgia.

They're normal memories. Smells can trigger them easily. Those unpleasant feelings for us are caused by our current situation being worse than the situation from the memories.

>I've been seeing/hearing/feeling things that make me nostalgic for experiences that I've never had
I don't understand how that works.
>>
>>27082387
Completely normal.

I get it with walking barefoot outside. It reminds me of carefree childhood where you'd play in the grass, sand or on asphalt. Not caring if you get dirty. Rolling around, laying down, sitting wherever.
>>
>>27082439

>I don't understand how that works.

Probably wasn't the best way to phrase that. Imagine seeing young teens hanging out with friends, going to restaurants, going on dates etc. and remembering all of those opportunities you had to experience that but turned down. Then dealing with the images of what could've been.
>>
>>27082543

Oh, you mean the painful regrets and "what if"s. Those coupled with the feeling of worthlessness when you compare yourself to your friends and people in general, or just hang around with them, bring out a lot of dull pain.
>>
>>27082387
Yeah this happens. I just visited my old high school town. I couldn't take it. Memories of a better time. I just ended up driving to our old hangout and get baked alone. Reminiscent of a pervious time. But this time it's just me.
>>
File: 1420444160851.jpg (83 KB, 575x575) Image search: [Google]
1420444160851.jpg
83 KB, 575x575
>>27082644
Same thing happens to me except I moved back to this town about 2 years ago now.

I still drive by my old middle school at night and wonder where it all went so wrong. I guess we're all just living in the past aren't we?
>>
>>27082387
That's pretty normal but you gotta not let that get to you. You can still be happy again, even if it's hard just focus on the present and making your future better. I'm not saying to abandon the past completely because our memories/experiences make us who we are but it's important to see it all as the past.

And it's just as normal to feel that for experiences you've never had. After all pretty much everyone wants what they don't have
>>
>>27082387
>be wotlk baby
>misuse term "Pre"
Yeah snow and gloomy whether makes me feel nostalgia for the old vidya as well. I used to start up starcraft broodwar once a year but this year was the first that the online community felt truly dead, feels bad.
>>
Thinking about the anime FLCL reminds me of my early teenage years. I think I would be so happy watching FLCL again (haven't seen it in years) but I would also strongly want to commit suicide because of how much I have changed since then. I was innocent, like Naota, back then, but now, I have left earth, like Atomsk.
>>
>>27083794

Meant to say post-Cata, my mistake. I started back in Classic, I just met good e-friends in Wrath, enjoyed the story, the setting etc.

>Brood war community dead

I tried doing the same with WCIII, it's pretty depressing.
>>
File: born-to-feel.jpg (407 KB, 746x982) Image search: [Google]
born-to-feel.jpg
407 KB, 746x982
Whenever it rains I'm reminded of living in the Pacific Northwest during my high school years where it rained 5 days out of the week.

It reminds me that I had friends I considered brothers once, it reminds of the trips to Seattle and walking around drunk at night with them and the trips I took there with my ex and all the good times I had as a teen and in my early 20s.

I have none of those things anymore and it's been years since I've been there but every fucking time it brings on a wave of despair.
>>
When I was in my teens my uncle got me a job on a construction site. I was making union wages and surrounded by his friends who took me drinking after work. I was flush with cash and living the dream. One thing I remember about the job itself was the smell of wet concrete.

Since that time my life has gone downhill for a lot of reasons. But every time I smell wet concrete I get that nostalgic feeling to the good times when I worked that job.
>>
>>27082387
Sometimes. Mainly depression and regret (especially regarding women since I'm a KV), I haven't been happy in years and I don't have friends. But I'm more worried about the future than the past. I hate growing old. My life gets worse every year.
>>
whenever I smell the cologne my ex wore

why'd he have to move, we were just getting started
why'd he have a new girlfriend less than a month later
why are they still together, it's been 5 months and I can't stop thinking about it
>>
File: 1.jpg (93 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
93 KB, 1280x960
Certain days have certain smells. I don't notice any new ones anymore. All I can do is remember old smells. How walking on a hot day during the last days to school smelled. How a lazy, orange lit Sunday in early winter smelled while I was out to get some food wearing just a sweater. That stale, yet sweet smell of an evening when you're just aware of how fulfilled your life was at that moment.
It's all gone now.
>>
File: 1456373263144.jpg (974 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1456373263144.jpg
974 KB, 1920x1200
>>27082387
I found an old empty perfume bottle that my mother used when I was 12. Smelling it teleports my mind back to that time. It's incredible.

Apart from that it's mostly certain shadings/brightness of my surroundings that evokes the past.

>>27082439
That's interesting. I never really had opportunities but I can relate to the general feeling. Since I have a talent for retarded analogies, I'd say it's like you ignored the points of interest marked on your gps and I'm driving without a gps, in the end we both ended up lost in the woods.
>>
I know what you mean opie been dealing with that since I was like 12. Remembering all the simpler times. But I learned that I would dwell on it too much and it would consume me from making more memories that I could dwell on in the future if that makes sense. Living in the moment isnt easy but dwelling on the past hurts more but thete is a sense of beauty in nostalgia. It doesnt hurt to take some time out of the day to remember the good times. But you just got to think you'll have plenty of time to reminisce in the future. You dont want to look back at your life when youre 60 and think about how much time you spent thinking and dwelling on the past. But I know how it is, just enjoy the depressing beauty of those moments you wont ever be able to live through again and try your best to make new memories that you can look back on in the future and have that same sense of nostalgia. It really helps you appreciate those things later on.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.