[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've got some money to finally buy a decent pair of speakers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: what speakerstobuy.jpg (168 KB, 1319x495) Image search: [Google]
what speakerstobuy.jpg
168 KB, 1319x495
I've got some money to finally buy a decent pair of speakers for listening to music

But I cannot decide what to get

$400 is my max budget, and these are the suggestions I found so far

Help me out please

also do I need an additional dac unit for increased sound quality if I only have a mobo so far?
>>
DAC is more about personal preference.

I prefer the sound of analog but you might not care. It's your choice to decide.

Also I used to run the A5's I liked them. Easy to use, sound pretty solid.
>>
~$150 worth of bookshelf speakers and amp
~$250 pair of headphones.

Don't throw away money at speakers unless if you've got real money to do so with.
>>
>>27069057
This

Unless you're big into sound stages you should always put more into headphones than speakers.
>>
>>27069057
I don't like wearing headphones, even if they are supposed to be comfy

and you didn't really recommend anything specific so this is a pretty useless
>>
I would highly highly recommend headphones in this matter

But I'm still lurking out of vague interest in what good speakers are
>>
>>27069120
If you want a thread's worth of autists arguing over how you should spend your money, go to /g/.

If you're dead set on speakers, save up for a full system which will cost you over a grand.

Or pick your favorite looking $400 'monitor' speakers off of amazon, but you won't have a very fun listening experience.
>>
>>27069189
>full system
on a fucking desktop, less than 1 m away from me, connected to a PC?
>>
>>27069228
I've already told you to either buy a cheap pair of bookshelf speakers and an amp or to spend two or three times as much on a very precise, very boring set of similar sized monitor speakers

I personally use Micca Motion MB42 speakers and a Lepai amp I bought for $70 for computer speakers and they do just fine for casual bedroom listening.
>>
>>27069189
>pick your favorite looking $400 'monitor' speakers off of amazon, but you won't have a very fun listening experience.
This has always been a worry of mine.
My monitor HEADPHONES have been boss, but I always had a feeling that for some reason monitor speakers wouldn't sound great
>>
>>27069286
>very boring
what does this even mean? sounds like a buzzword tbqh f a m
>>
>>27069317
>>27069318

Professional monitor headphones/speakers are designed to have the flattest response possible across the frequency range which means you don't hear deep booming bass or sparkling high sounds, it's literally meant to be boring so sound engineers can actually hear what they're doing.

Sperglords on /g/ thinks this means they're the best choice for just listening to music and enjoying it.
>>
>>27069391
but Audioengine A5+ isn't a studio monitor for sound engineers, is it? I've seen it recommended for "listening to music use" so many times on so many different sites, I can't really believe that they are "boring" shitty speakers for music making
>>
When I move out I want to get a nice sound system that I can connect my record player to, and also play spotify etc. How much can I expect to spend?
>>
>>27069567
I'm a poorfag so I've never personally owned or listened to audioengine, it's just a general rule of thumb that anything meant for actual professionals or 'audiophiles' is liable to be really expensive but not notably better for the average person who wants to jam to tunes.

>>27069603
As low as $100 or as much as $10,000.

'nice' is pretty subjective. Look for what's affordable without being gimmicky.
>>
File: 96Fig1.jpg (19 KB, 478x316) Image search: [Google]
96Fig1.jpg
19 KB, 478x316
>>27068839
maybe a bit out of budget bit I got a pair of focal alpha 50's, front firing bass ports are good as I have them near a wall, no hiss like others I tried, sound amazing
>>
File: 1456911449559-tech.png (199 KB, 376x302) Image search: [Google]
1456911449559-tech.png
199 KB, 376x302
>>27069391
>Professional monitor headphones/speakers are designed to have the flattest response possible across the frequency range which means you don't hear deep booming bass or sparkling high sounds
Dude wtf that's not how flat response works
>b-but muh Beats By Dre headphones with bass boost!
>>
>>27070755
>>27069391
i reall can't decide who to listen to anymore

it's always
>dude, get studio monitors, they are the best
>dude what the fuck, dont get studio monitors, you are not a sound engineer, what the fuck, are you stupid? they sound shit!

fuck this, seriously
>>
studio monitors are meant to be as neutral as possible so you can mix a song properly

they aren't really meant for casual listening, unless you like that neutral sound
>>
>buy speakers
>can't ever listen to them because neighbors get mad
>>
Micca MB42X and SMSL SA-60
Done and done.
>>
These people who aren't audio engineers don't know what the fuck they are talking about

>be me
>25 year old audio engineer working in nashville

Our monitors have a dip in the mid-uper mid range, and a rolled off high end, they are certainly not flat. Yet we consistently produce top-notch mixes with them, your argument is invalid

OP, get monitors with a frequency response that fits your prefered musical style/personal preference, make sure it has high spl handling capabilities and low THD. Also focus on getting a good A-D and D-A system, and a pre-amp if you're into that shit. Tube amps are bae.
>>
>>27071192
the people who fall for the studio monitor meme are just idiots who spent a lot of money on their gear and insist it was worth it

if you're not mixing or mastering a song, there's no point in having them, there are better options
>>
>>27071389
>me again

My reccomendation
http://www.genelec.com/home-speakers/g-series-active-speakers/g-four-active-speaker
>>
File: 1447764729475.png (346 KB, 524x511) Image search: [Google]
1447764729475.png
346 KB, 524x511
>>27071389
>a frequency response that fits your prefered musical style/personal preference
but I don't know about that

I usually listen to rock, various metal genres, alternative rock/metal, industrial, guitar instrumental and glitchy electric music
>>
>>27071494
Then you want a speaker that has good mid-high detail and not worry about the low end response, of course that doesn't mean let it slip by you but you can handle a small dip from 20-150
>>
consumer retards are going to tell you to get passive speakers and an amp or some expensive headphones or some shitty dac that doesn't even have mic pres

>2x yamaha hs5
$400 for the pair new. can definitely find them cheaper used. same goes for the hs7 and 8.

>focusrite scarlett
$150 new, solid audio interface-- can definitely find it cheaper used. you probably don't make music but this has mic and line inputs, which opens up a lot of capabilities outside of making music-- for example, if you use voice chat and get even a cheap dynamic mic like a shure SM57, everybody will still go "holy shit anon your voice is like in high def!"

then the only thing you're missing is a sub, which is definitely nice, but only if you live in a place where having a sub isn't obnoxious
>>
>>27071469
lol, you're trolling, but if OP had $700 to spend on speakers alone, Genelec 8010s would be viable.
>>
>>27071902
Focusrite Scarlett Solo should be good enough right? this is the cheapest

is this a headphone amp as well? can this drive a pair of 250 ohm beyers for example? is this as good as the fiio e10k at least?
>>
>>27072152
Bumpo for this 564356
>>
>>27068839
This is my 2.0 setup that I've had for years.

http://www.cnet.com/news/build-your-own-desktop-stereo-for-under-70/
>>
am i in audiokarma or r/audiophile? thought this was r9k lol
>>
>>27073910
so? r9k doesn't have a specific topic restriction
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.