[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>save up enough money to survive comfortably for ~6 months
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7
File: 1370066975995.jpg (340 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1370066975995.jpg
340 KB, 1920x1200
>save up enough money to survive comfortably for ~6 months and exchange them for USD
>pack a backpack with clothes, cooking gear, knife, hatchet, tent, sleeping bag, fishing pole, and other necessities
>buy a plane ticket to the US
>hitchhike around the southern states
>inquire at farms for short time work as a farmhand
>would ask for 3 meals and $30 a day
>fish, forage, and hitchhike to new places in between jobs
>save up for another plane ticket
>travel to another country
>repeat until I get fed up or die

How's my plan for living as a modern vagabond?
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
>>27060074
May or may not be very useful. I certainly wouldn't bet on it.
>fish, forage, and hitchhike to new places in between jobs
Cool and all, but if you don't know the local area maybe not the greatest success doing this.

At the end of the day, it just depends on how much money you have saved. As long as you have money, you'll probably be fine. Also avoid getting robbed. I say go for it. The world has so many amazing views, and I definitely encourage anyone with the opportunity to go for it.

One thing though, is that it might be a bit less romantic in realty than the idea you have in your head. A lot of nothing and even boredom for the most part, but there are the moments where it's all worth it.

Near cities you'll have more access to shelter and food, but also more problems with people like getting robbed or harassed.
>>
>>27060149
It's the nothingness and boredom that I want to get out in to. I want to wake up in the morning and look out of my tent, and all I see is the beautiful sunset and the little creek I've camped by.

I'm an honest guy. I'm strong. I've been in the military, and I know how to survive outdoors from years of outdoor experience. I believe in the hospitality of the Southern States, and that as long as I'm honest to people I'll be able to find work.

I've been robbed before and held up at knifepoint. I know how to avoid confrontations, and to hide my valuables.
>>
>>27060200
Sounds good, man. I'm from the south though, and I think you might find it a bit less than you're expecting. Maybe west-Midwest will be better for what you have in mind.

Either way, go for it. The experience is probably worth it, so long as you have an escape plan eventually so you don't just end up homeless.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 1536x2056) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 1536x2056
>>27060236
Although to be fair, I'm from the city, so I don't know as much about the rural areas of the south.
>>
>>27060236
My escape plan is that I contact my embassy and get a ride home. I live in the nanniest of countries, and that's part of why I want to get away.
>>
I think know what you're trying to do OP. But you can't escape yourself. You'll still be that autist/anxious neckbeard that no one wants to talk to if you travel somewhere else. You're taking your problems with you everywhere you go. But if you're rich id say go for it.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
>>27060245
Seems like you're all set then. I wish you much luck if you do decide to go for it. I also recommend even seeing more countries if you can.
>>
>>27060266
Not everyone on this board is an autistic neckbeard, me included.
>>
>>27060288
Haha keep telling yourself that, maybe youll believe it someday.
>>
Farms hire hands who are family members or friends mostly. I seriously doubt you'll find anyone willing to put up a foreigner they don't know. You might be able to work fields, but you'd be competing with a giant pool of migrant workers and possibly have to go through some kind of work program.
>>
>Room and board plus 30

You'd be laughed at
>>
>>27060074
Yeah it sounds really romantic and comfy until your first cold rainstorm. But you didn't think of that did you?
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
>>27060266
>Projection: the post

You don't know much about OP at all. If he can do it, he should. Life is so short and meaningless, staying in one spot is useless if you don't have to. I think the biggest thing that impacted me was going on journeys of my own, much shorter than what OP is planning, but still something.

During them, it's sometimes not much, just walking around some other place. But sometimes I find somewhere off and away with a really nice view. And I might just sit there and drink a beer and life feels great, beautiful, full of promise. It is moments like that to strive for I think.

The funny thing is when I get back home. I still have no friends, just silence and shitposting. It is when I get back that it really hits me how great it is to leave it, even for a brief moment. It's a free feeling knowing that nothing is waiting for me, that no one is expecting me anywhere.

This is obviously a luxury for me to have been able to do, but if anyone has that same luxury I strongly believe they should take it.
>>
Also, there really aren't that many places where you can reliably fish for meals in eastern US. Just casting into random lakes or rivers will not work.
>>
>>27060325
Life is long and is of most importance as it's the only thing we will ever be able to do to interact with the universe
>>
>>27060305
I've slept outside in -10C. I've completed military exercises in the middle of winter. A bit of rain is nothing.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 1536x2056) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 1536x2056
>>27060340
Okay. Short or long is relative. You only verify my point. Only one life. It is good to experience as much as possible. It is easy to get stuck in a cycle of nothing new. It is easy to get comfortable and to stagnate. It is the smart choice for many. If you are one of the few who can do otherwise, it's worth doing.
>>
File: ghouls-map.jpg (1 MB, 1280x997) Image search: [Google]
ghouls-map.jpg
1 MB, 1280x997
>>27060074
>>hitchhike around the southern states
You're going to get killed by niggers.
>>
>>27060074

You know nothing about the United States. Maybe things are nice and cozy in Scandinavia, but here in the United States you ain't gunna find that Jack Kerouac, road trippin' life style, buddy.

Most farms that see any success are the large, factory farms. The smaller farms don't make enough money and they have children and relatives to help. I have a relative who owns dairy cows and sells organic milk. He is doing well, but 30 dollars a day and food? That would be 840 dollars a month.

Secondly, There is no way you are just going to fish and hitchhike around. You need a license in most counties, and the road and high way system is not adequate for hitch hiking.

You would be wearing all of this gear through heavily or sparsely populated areas, and you would look like a homeless bum. And people like that in America very rarely get any "help"
>>
>>27060074
>hitchhike around the southern states
First mistake. Nobody picks up hitchhikers anymore.
Second mistake. Something like 90% of farms in the USA are owned by corporations, and they only hire undocumented immigrants from Mexico. Even if they did hire you, you'd be making $5 an hour just like them.
>would ask for 3 meals and $30 a day
Stopped reading here. It's obvious you're from Europe where everything is splendid and dandy and anybody can do anything they want because the government provides for them. This is not the case in America. Our war veterans starve and sleep on the streets.
>>
I have the exact same plan but i think we have to stay in europe. You can only stay in the US for 3 months and after that you will get deported and banned from the US.

The vagabond community is much bigger in the US, but you can stay in europe forever. Or were you planning to stay there illegally?
>>
fuck these NEET fags anon, wtf do they even know. just go do it man. if your actually serious about it, your more likely to get a proper answer from reddit or just somewhere were actual people might read it, rather than shut ins
>>
>>27060453
This. I don't know how can people still have this romantic idea of US being the road to freedom and all. Renting cars, and living like a zen monk just like that french Canadian author would. Just look at couchsurf and crash at people and eat McDonald's...I know Kerouac would.
>>
>>27060597
Its funny that you say that because there is a subreddit called /r/vagabond and its great. They are miles ahead of us on this topic. Most of the people on there are actually experienced trainhoppers/hitchhikers/hobos/tramps.

That is the only time i use reddit. They are serious about this lifestyle.
>>
>>27060200
It sounds like an awesome idea, but just be mindful of the property you're on. You can potentially end up in a hairy situation if you aren't aware of whether or not you're trespassing. A lot of people don't take too kindly to people just making themselves at home on their land unless they're aware of it. If I were you, I would investigate the laws pertaining to the states you'll be traveling through in the event that you get arrested (which is definitely a possibility).

Good luck, stay safe, and most importantly enjoy yourself.
>>
>>27060659
this. /r/vagabond is the only reddit worth browsing. some of them actually grouped up and bought a huge schoolbus. now theyre travelling together as a big hippie group.
>>
>>27060886
Are they in Canada, by any chance? I used to talk in an drug focused IRC group with this guy who was always on reddit. He bought a farm and turned it into a vagabond/druggie paradise apparently. Always offered everyone to come live with him if they wanted. Seemed like fun, but obviously didn't last long. Turns out running a farm is actually hard work, and a bunch of sheltered suburban kids and druggies who just want to party didn't last long.

Anyways, he talked about how his next plan was a bus or something like that. I wonder if it's the same guy
>>
>>27060930
Dont think so. The "leader" of the group who got the bus has been on the road for 12 years. And theyre heading into mexico right now.
>>
>>27060963
Sounds fun but also like bad news. From what I can tell groups like that don't last long by the nature of the people that form them. Would be great during it's peak though, sounds like an experience of a lifetime. Until it falls apart.
>>
>>27061049
And how many of those groups have you been in exactly? Sounds like youre just making assumptions.
>>
>>27061588
None. I just always hear stories about how they kind of fall apart for various reasons usually. Most groups do over time, but I figure this kind of group even more so.

I used to be pretty into the drug scene and most druggies sort of travel around a lot. They sometimes just wander off to some other place, end up crashing somewhere different, maybe they find some girl they hit it off with or whatever.

Also some of them are really fucking awful people which causes lots of conflict and arguments which could also rip a group apart.
>>
>>27061650
So youre making assumptions. Not everyone does drugs on the road, and not everyone is awful.

Ofcourse these groups dont last forever, but thats more because some people want to go somewhere else, or they want to stay because of a job, or theyre going back into society and settle down, myself included. I havent been in one of those schoolbus groups but ive been hopping trains with 2 guys from 2009-2013.
>>
>>27061840
>So youre making assumptions.
How about you suck my dick? I thought he said they were doing drugs, probably because he said hippie.
>>
>>27062037
Thats not at all what he said and hippie doesnt automatically mean theyre doing drugs. Cut yourself and never ever stop.
>>
The Mexicans working at factory farms aren't going to give you any money.
>>
>>27060074
>save up for another plane ticket
If you overstay and turn up on any airport, they'll rough love your ass.
>>
WWOOF farms are a thing, you don't get paid though.
>fish, forage
top kek laddie
literally, LITERALLY just go to a food pantry ANYWHERE.

Also, try panhandling. Works extremely well in the burbs so long as you move on quickly. Get a sharpie and some cardboard (it's everywhere, figure it out yourself) and make a sign that says something like
>travelling, hungry and broke

shitty millennials do this all the time and they have enough money for iphones and drugs.
>>
>>27062466
True. Panhandling and dumpsterdiving gives you more than enough money to eat well. If you dont have an addiction skys the limit.
>>
oh, and holy fuck SOCKS. Bring lots of socks and keep them motherfuckers dry. You will learn to appreciate dry, clean socks VERY much.
>>
>>27062574
And get them in wool. They stay warm when wet and dry fast.
Also get underwear, caps and tshirts in wool.
>>
Dont die on me faggot
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.