[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fitness Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 169
Thread images: 15
File: TTVGBTGRTRGF.png (3 KB, 750x383) Image search: [Google]
TTVGBTGRTRGF.png
3 KB, 750x383
Answering all your questions.

Dropping the guide at 100 posts.

Be sure that many of the things you think you know are just myths. It is entirely within your reach to get better physically; it won't be as difficult as you might believe.
>>
posting in dead as fuck thread
>>
>>27043765

I'm here. Ask anything.
>>
Don't be shy. You can ask anything, any kinds of goal, I'll help.
>>
One robot is all it takes, c'mon.
>>
- it doesn't take as much time as you think
- dieting doesn't need to be as strict as you think

Three times a week, for about an hour, is plenty enough to get amazing results in the long run. To give you an idea.
>>
File: lose-gain-maintain-weight.png (71 KB, 698x749) Image search: [Google]
lose-gain-maintain-weight.png
71 KB, 698x749
Have this, at least.
>>
Nobody?

whoriginal.
>>
any tips on deadlifting? im going to try it tomorrow.
>>
>>27044527

https://youtu.be/4AObAU-EcYE?list=PLcQezwqoDs7ECX54FS0Lnkcn47AL5a5-L
>>
>>27044527

Watch this tutorial several times, that's my best advice.

If you're good at imitating stuff physically, then you should be fine; if not, ask someone to make sure your form is good.

Deadlifting is great unless your form sucks. If your form isn't good, you can injure yourself in the long run, especially if you lift heavier than you should. You're safer doing more reps at a lesser weight than few reps with very heavy loads. Be safe and you'll be fine. If your body gives you bad signals, stop. Don't think it's being tough to go beyond sharp pains and such. If you don't heed those alerts, you'll pay for it dearly.

If you stick to those guidelines, you'll have no problems.
>>
>>27043678
what the fuck is up with my weight fluctuating ~5-10 pounds after a weekend of drinking and what not?

Trying to lose weight fucks with your head when 1 weekend seemingly undoes 2 weeks of hard work
>>
File: 1414738070378.jpg (2 MB, 832x2475) Image search: [Google]
1414738070378.jpg
2 MB, 832x2475
>>27044642
>what the fuck is up with my weight fluctuating ~5-10 pounds after a weekend of drinking and what not?

Water weight. Especially if you drink alcohol a lot, which results in water retention, which adds weight to your body.

On average, your body can fluctuate quite a lot anyway. A whole kilo sometimes. Weighing yourself every morning after piss and poo is a good idea to get a good idea of your actual weight.

But yeah, getting drunk will add tons of calories. Alcohol is very calorific.

That said, if you MUST, here's for you.
>>
theres literally a board dedicated for this faggot
>>
>>27044734

You forgot a comma. Made me think there was a board literally dedicated to me, faggot.

Yes, there's /fit/, but it's mostly for homosexuals who want to joke around and see hot male bodies.

That's not how I roll, and you guys aren't over there anyway. I'm here for the people who wouldn't normally go to /fit/.

This means you, maybe.

Ask anything.
>>
>>27044734
He made the post to help faggots like you who don't want to leave.
>>
what is the most cheapest, healthiest meal i can make or buy for myslef, from any grocerie store?
>>
>>27044776
Not OP, but, generally any kind of veggies or something can be cheap, and you don't need much of it to fill you up.
>>
>>27044776
>what is the most cheapest, healthiest meal i can make or buy for myslef, from any grocerie store?

Basically basic stuff: eggs, veggies, etc. Cans are cheap and have a variety of cheap stuff.

In terms of health, though, just eat varied things you actually like, and don't overeat, and that'll be plenty healthy.

Educate yourself about the following words:

>calories
>protein

These are virtually the only things I care about, because I eat enough variety to get everything I need (most of what you need are just traces).

The rest depends on your objectives.
>>
File: 1445017320199.jpg (41 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1445017320199.jpg
41 KB, 400x400
>>27044767
>I'm here for the people who wouldn't normally go to /fit/.
then its their issue isnt it
>>27044768
>He made the post to help faggots like you who don't want to leave.
>who don't want to leave.
you said it yourself retard
>>
File: 1421459093840.jpg (139 KB, 1024x942) Image search: [Google]
1421459093840.jpg
139 KB, 1024x942
I don't ever leave my house. How do I fitness without a gym. Preferably something easy I have no muscle at all am skeleton
>>
>>27044841
>then its their issue isnt it

Stop with the excuse. You're here, just ask your question, state your goal. I'll help.
>>
>>27044880

I do NOTHING outside of my apartment. Don't worry.

You can do anything in your home.

The question is: what do you want exactly?

>burn fat
>get muscles
>both

Which?
>>
>>27043678
What the fuck?

This is my question, answer it.
>>
>>27044945
>What the fuck?

It's a thread to improve your life. You deserve no lesser gift from me.
>>
>>27044915
I'm 125 lbs I need some muscle senpai
>>
>>27044962
You answer "What the fuck is this" not my "What the fuck". I can't trust you if you can't answer a simple question
>>
>>27045000

Depending on your height, that's not too heavy at all. I'll assume you're skinny or skinny fat.

I'll drop the guide sooner than planned, for you. It contains all you need for muscles (and the rest).

Basically, you'll lift weights.
>>
I'm a NEET and I've only got access to dumbbells adjustable up to 20lb ea. (which I've already maxed out on), how can I keep getting stronger?
>>
I stopped workingout due to schoolwork and stuff but I gained a reasonable amount of muscle but lost a bit of it so I tried to start again and all I do is hurt myself now any tips on making healing your muscles faster?
>>
>>27045001

"What the fuck?" is short for "What the fuck is this/that?"

Either way, my answer fits both questions. Stop dodging, you know you want to get a healthy hot bod too, just go ahead and ask a real question now.
>>
I go to a gym that's full of old people and all they play is shitty 80s music. It is ruining my focus. What do I do? I can't afford any other gym btw.
>>
>>27045070
Bring a portable music player of your choice and some earphones you retard.
>>
>>27045045

Get new dumbbells if you can. Or get more equipment if you have the money. Barbell, power cage, etc. It's not that expensive in the long run, much less than a gym membership.

To get stronger, you will need to lift heavier eventually.

Guide incoming.
>>
>>27045045
Get more weights. If you don't want to spend a lot of money look for people selling used weights in your area. Craigslist, etc.
>>
How do I discipline myself to eat below my TDEE? I get hungry way too easily. My diet right now is mostly eggs and toast in the morning with some milk, a chipotle bowl for lunch and a snack in the evening. I cant function right if Im hungry.

I already know how to cook for myself but college is stressful and leaves me little time for cooking. Plus I live with an annoying mexican family so I can only cook late at night without having anyone get in my way. I've went on a tangent but anyway, how do I make filling nutritious foods?
>>
>>27045057
>I stopped workingout due to schoolwork and stuff but I gained a reasonable amount of muscle but lost a bit of it so I tried to start again and all I do is hurt myself now any tips on making healing your muscles faster?

Start with lighter weights, give yourself time to grow them back, which will be faster than originally, much faster. Muscle memory is real.

Healing is how your muscles grow, you can't accelerate that, to my knowledge, nor should you want it to. That said, some people think you don't need rest days and that you can work out through that process, but I don't personally do it. Your muscles grow when you sleep and rest, not during the work out.

Consume lots of protein, at least half your body weight in grams: 80 kilos, eat 40g of protein a day.
>>
>>27045070

This:

>>27045101

The simplest and cheapest option. The rest doesn't matter. If you're losing focus because old people are around, chances are you're not lifting heavy enough.
>>
Skinnyfag here, wat do I do to gain muscle mass? pls recommend me good drugs and also don't hesitate to tell personal experiences of similar cases.
>>
>>27045176
Eat more and lift weights.
>>
>>27045103
Don't really have much room for barbell equipment, unfortunately. I guess I could look into getting some more dumbbells.
>>27045136
I'll give it a try, thanks. Can dumbbells alone get me decently far? It will be a while until I can afford a gym membership.
>>
>>27045045
That's not even enough for a 45lb bar to practice lifting stretches. You're gonna have to do bodyweight exercises or get a new set of weights
>>
>>27045149
>How do I discipline myself to eat below my TDEE?

You reduce the amount of decisions you have to make, you reduce temptations too.

>never buy things you have to resist
>never tempt yourself
>plan and organise
>write down calories

> My diet right now is mostly eggs and toast in the morning with some milk, a chipotle bowl for lunch and a snack in the evening. I cant function right if Im hungry.

You don't have to avoid any food, as long as you count your calories, anything goes, and I mean anything. I'll eat a goddam donut if I want to, I'll just add its calories to be sure I don't overeat.

Drink lots of water, that'll fill you up. Protein also cut hunger efficiently. Eat a bunch of eggs, or protein shakes.

Also, stews. Things in water will fill you the fuck up for only 600-900 kcal. I make Gulashes for myself and it's incredibly filling and still under your daily need. Add onions and spices you want, etc.
>>
>>27045195
Yeah, dumbbells can do you pretty good, just make sure you have a routine that covers everything and you'll probably want to add stuff like pullups to it. Scooby's got a good dumbbell workout.
>>
Ideally, how much weight am I suppose to add to increase my strength progressively with each workout? I mainly do bench and squats.

And since Im beginning again, how long do you suppose I can eat at maintainance and keep getting stronger until I plateau and find the need to eat more calories?
>>
>>27045194
Thanks for nothing, but you forgot to add "and just be yarself" to thour comment to make it even more of a meme.
>>
File: Nick's Fitness Guide for r9k.png (689 KB, 3664x2552) Image search: [Google]
Nick's Fitness Guide for r9k.png
689 KB, 3664x2552
>>27045176
>Skinnyfag here, wat do I do to gain muscle mass?

You'll have to gain mass to begin with. Drink whole milk, eat pistacchios or other calorific nuts, throughout the day, on top of your normal diet. Try eating more if you can. Chocolate, whatever, to get some mass, some stored energy that your body can use to build muscles.

Dropping the guide, it should answer all your questions.
>>
>>27045195
>Can dumbbells alone get me decently far?

Yes, very much so. Since it works your arms individually and with a greater range, it's actually excellent. It'll be a good preparation for the barbell later on. I've made sick gains using nothing but DB's. Even now, that's all I have. Getting BB within some months, I hope.
>>
>>27045262
He's right though, dingus. In order to build muscle you have to have excess calories (eat more), and stress the muscle to rebuild itself stronger (lift).

Don't be difficult.
>>
>>27043678
THEY MADE AN ENTIRE FUCKING BOARD FOR THIS

TWO BOARDS FOR THIS

ONE FOR DISCUSSING FITNESS

THE OTHER FOR GIVING ADVICE

TWO BOARDS JUST FOR THIS

TWO ENTIRE BOARDS

TWO WHOLE BOARDS

AND YOU RECEIVE ADVICE FROM LOTS OF PEOPLE

NOT JUST SOME ATTENTION-WHORING TRIPFAG

WEW LAD
>>
>>27045261
>Ideally, how much weight am I suppose to add to increase my strength progressively with each workout? I mainly do bench and squats.

With barbell, you can add more than with DB's. Either way, what I do is I increase reps first, then when I can do 10 reps too easily, I load up and do 5 reps.

>And since Im beginning again, how long do you suppose I can eat at maintainance and keep getting stronger until I plateau and find the need to eat more calories?

Honestly, the surplus calories you need shouldn't be too much: it's only done to ensure your body has enough resources to grow, but if you have ANY fat on you, your body will use that already. You don't need too much extra calories, you need protein. Make sure you get your protein, shakes or whatever, and it'll work. Muscles grow on protein, not calories.
>>
>>27045149
Former fatty here.
>college is stressful and leaves me little time for cooking.
Cook in bulk. Having a whole week's worth of lunch/dinner prepared in one or two days helped me stay on track and solved my problem of wanting to eat something right away instead of having to prepare it.
>My diet right now is mostly eggs and toast in the morning with some milk, a chipotle bowl for lunch and a snack in the evening.
Don't starve yourself man, how low are you cutting? If you're still feeling hungry eat more fresh veggies, they fill you up and have jack shit for calories. If you don't like veggies enough to just eat them, add them into what you're already eating, like making your eggs with spinach/peppers/etc. or chicken and broccoli.
>>
>>27045311
Im too lazy to go read the sticky at /fit/

Plus their info in that sticky is a cluster fuck. Someone needs to categorize it properly for people to look at it more
>>
>>27045311

I'm not a tripfag. I only use this trip here, for this specific thread. You'll never see me with it anywhere else.

It's just so anon can know which posts are mine. That's all.

I come here to people who wouldn't normally go to any of these other boards.

Don't get mad. If you're scared of getting more competition, just improve yourself too. You're only truly competing with yourself, and since you're here, you already have the inside stuff, you just need to work on the package.
>>
>>27045384

I wrote my own guide, read that instead and see if you like it better.

>>27045268
>>
>>27045338
I can make myself chipotle marinated chicken, lime flavored cilantro rice and beans to eat for the week but that shit takes time and I can only cook at night when no one in my residence can bother me
>>
>>27045311
>AND YOU RECEIVE ADVICE FROM LOTS OF PEOPLE

Try at your own risk. Unless you already know about the info you're given, you won't be able to differentiate the BS from real advice, and if you can differentiate, you don't need the advice to begin with.

The advantage of me being a tripfag is that you know you can trust me, I've proved myself to you before, many times over. I've done the bullshit sifting on my own for months and I can save you the time.

Maybe it's hard to believe, that someone would go on the Internet and try to help others, but believe it.
>>
>>27045426
>but that shit takes time
Well yeah, you have to devote SOME time to your diet. I mean you could lose weight just eating out or with tv dinners if you want fast meals, you'll just end up looking and feeling like shit.
>>
>be me
>late 20's
>come from two really fat parents, fat families in fact, so I descend from whales obviously
> pretty active in my teens, but always have this lower ab flab that would never fuck off
> get fat as shit and depressed into my late teens and early 20's, turn into a fat fucking pig, getting up to 280lbs
> turn it all around this past year, dropped 100'ish pounds, now I'm back to where I was as a teenager, with a 34 waist and that fucking lower ab flab and some fat on my hips/ass

Getting rid of that last bit of fat is a fucking nightmare if you have elephant genetics. I wouldn't be opposed to drugs at this point; I'm probably suffering from hypothyroidism anyway.
>>
>>27045391
so how should i divide my workout if i plan on working out 3 days a week? im basically in my 30's and am a little overweight, mostly in my gut. im thinking go on the treadmill for 30 mins, then lift for 30 mins, ?
>>
>>27045469

A trick to help with this is:

>cook like it's fun, because it is

Don't think of cooking as a means to an end, but as a craft, an activity you can practice at. Enjoy every movie, think about it, etc. Watch some Gordon Ramsey on cooking and etc.

Once cooking is a thing in itself, you won't feel like you're wasting time by cooking. Be a cook!
>>
>>27045500
>if you have elephant genetics.

You don't have elephant genetics. You just have excess energies stored in you, and that never comes about with genetics, it comes with ingesting more energy than necessary. Same for all of us. Most people in my family started skinny, and became meat planets past 25. I didn't because I chose not to when I saw that shit coming.

Your thyroid has nothing to do with it. Even for the few cases on earth who suffer from it, it makes no difference calorie-wise, you'd just have to eat a bit less, that's all.

Start by dropping the excuses:

>genetics aren't involved
>your thyroid is fine

You don't need drugs either. There are many options. I recommend reading my guide, it'll tell you all you need to know.

>cut sodas
>drink water only
>eat at a deficit
>>
working out is stupid
I don't want to eat more (much more) than I want to every fucking day of my life
cardio >>>>>>>>.
>>
File: 2783736661.jpg (11 KB, 239x211) Image search: [Google]
2783736661.jpg
11 KB, 239x211
>>27043678
How do I stop quitting? I saw the /fit/ sticky for the first time 3 years ago, in that time the longest period I've ever lifted continuously was about 6 months. I got to two plate squat but always stop and lose all my gains, which makes it harder to start again.
>>
>>27045502

I'm in the same category, mostly.

You don't have to do cardio AND strength at the same time. I'd recommend focusing on the strength first, and doing cardio during rest days, if you want to do both. If you're a beginner, don't overload yourself. Start slow.

Keep in mind that doing cardio won't do anything if you don't have tight control over the calories you consume.

I don't advise doing cardio and lifting in the same session, because the energy used to grow muscles might be used to fuel your cardio.

The rest of my answer depends on what you want primarily:

>get muscles
>lose fat
>both
>>
File: 1408220147504.png (356 KB, 572x380) Image search: [Google]
1408220147504.png
356 KB, 572x380
how the fuck do i make chicken taste good

what do i cook with it?

every time i go to /ck/ for answers, it's nothing but fast food threads
>>
>>27045579

Friend, I always eat less than I want to, because I'm fucking hungry for life.

I grow muscles without overstuffing my face like some people do. It isn't necessary, not unless you're a Mr. Skeltal.
>>
>>27045570
You actually think hypothyroidism is a myth? Are you serious?

You do realize that Zyzz and the lot abused thyroid drugs to cut for a reason, right?
>>
>>27045603

Consider why you stop. Then tell me, then I'll help.
>>
>>27045625
>how the fuck do i make chicken taste good

You can add spices, (right there, that's dozens of new possibilities). I advise doing chicken cacciatore, that's fucking delicious.
>>
File: 1363162371472.png (34 KB, 256x204) Image search: [Google]
1363162371472.png
34 KB, 256x204
It's nice of you to do this, OP.
>>
>>27045643
>You actually think hypothyroidism is a myth? Are you serious?

It's vastly overdiagnosed, and for real cases, it's no major difference. It shouldn't concern you one bit.

Here's the deal:

>there's an amount of calories per day that your body burns

>what you eat puts energy in you, measured in calories

>consume more than you burn: you store fat
>consume less, you burn that fat

The parameters don't matter. Adapt accordingly, but don't think it's stopping you from anything.
>>
>>27045714

Thank you.

I'll be happy when I see results. Some of you have already obtained results and I'm very happy with this, but we can do better and we will.
>>
>>27045000
What do you need muscle for when you've got

T R I P S
R
I
P
S
>>
>>27045652
If I knew why, I would have specified.
>>
>>27045755
>If I knew why, I would have specified.

I know, that's why I asked you to find out. There is a reason, you just need to find it.

At some point, you stopped doing it. Perhaps you thought you needed to be motivated, and stopped when you realised you weren't motivated. You don't need motivation, you merely need to do it. It can feel like work, often, and that's fine, work is fine.

Focus on the results, too, and what you can become. Write things down, take pics of yourself. Observe the change. When you realise you're changing, this will help tremendously. Especially in the beginning, especially if you've never experienced massive physical changes.

Write down when you work out, have it in plain sight, so you can see when you start dropping work outs, and keep yourself in check. You should feel bad if you haven't done anything in 4 days, for instance. Think about it, don't let it slip your mind. Then resume happily.

Not sure if that helps, but it's always the little things.
>>
File: slut.jpg (21 KB, 202x198) Image search: [Google]
slut.jpg
21 KB, 202x198
>>27044880
>tfw have 2 15lb dumbells and just use those/body weight exercises in my room
>tfw discovered running in place for cardio and just watch tv while doing it

Obviously going to a gym would be best but it's pretty incredible how much of a good workout you can get with next to nothing once you learn what you're doing
>>
>>27045612
yeah I dont want to get muscles to be honest, i more just want to lose fat and be a normal sized person with no gut. should i ride my bike, swim, run, that sort of thing ? im wondering if I should even bother with weights if i dont really care about getting muscles.
>>
>>27043678
>bought some weight gainer shit
>started to count my calories making sure I eat at least 3k
Am I gonna make it?
The whole eating 3k calories is just fucking annoying
>>
>>27045943
>yeah I dont want to get muscles to be honest, i more just want to lose fat and be a normal sized person with no gut.

>eat at a deficit
>cardio

That'll do the trick.

>should i ride my bike, swim, run, that sort of thing ?

If your knees can take the running, run, that'll be most efficient. Swimming is great but demands more technique than running, and more money. Running is free and can be done anywhere. Yes.

If you can run fasted, without having eaten prior, do that, you'll burn into your fat much faster. It's OK if you eat a little to fuel yourself, though.

No need to lift weights if you don't intend to get bigger muscles and more strength.

>you'll still be French, though
>>
Is it still possible to get /fit/ without knowing your calories and macros? I'm in uni and on a meal plan where I can't tell the calories or nutrition facts of what I eat. Should I get off the meal plan and start buying my own shit or lift anyway?
>>
>>27045803
I did those techniques but for they only work for short periods before I stop anyway.

Sounds to me like it requires a positive, motivated mindset I just can't maintain.

Thanks anyway.
>>
>>27045980

You will.

3k is a lot.

Height and weight?
>>
File: skeletun.jpg (117 KB, 900x854) Image search: [Google]
skeletun.jpg
117 KB, 900x854
>>27046079
6'
120lbs
Full on skeleton mode
>>
I recommend the book convict conditioning. Lots of great exercises if you don't own any weights.
>>
I want to be skinny. I will start running daily. Come with me fatanons, let's do this together
>>
>>27046031
>Is it still possible to get /fit/ without knowing your calories and macros?

I'd say no. Macros, sure, but calories, no. If you have no idea how much you eat, you cannot control your bodyfat, and that means you can't control your fitness.

I don't count my calories anymore, but I stopped after writing down everything I ate for over a year, so now I know the calories in most things, but if you've never done it, you're bound to be wrong all the time and you won't lose the fat. Then you'll get demotivated because you won't know why. You NEED to know how much you eat to realise what's going on.

For the uni stuff, I suggest this: familiarise yourself with most foods and how many calories are in them. You can estimate a meal's calories roughly enough to be useful info. Most institutional meals won't exceed 800-1000 calories, I imagine.

>>27046055
>Sounds to me like it requires a positive, motivated mindset I just can't maintain.

If you can't have a positive mindset, then have a strict discipline you stick to. It doesn't matter what your mindset is if you do what needs to be done. You can pout all the way to godhood.

If you think you can't do it with a good attitude, find ways to achieve that. I can help with that too, just state your problem more specifically.
>>
>>27046136
GOMAD. Milk and proteins.
>>
>>27046136

At least 3k yes. Can't hurt to get more if you can. You'll put on weight, no doubt. Keep at it.
>>
>>27043678
How do I stop being such a fatass?
>>
>>27046136
how are you even alive man?
I'm tall as you, 40 pounds heavier and still skinny as fuck
>>
>>27046172
>I recommend the book convict conditioning. Lots of great exercises if you don't own any weights.

Agreed, but keep in mind that you're better off getting actual weights, it'll be more efficient.

That said, if you can't do 20 classic pushups, pushups will be an efficient bodyweight exercise. Basically, anything you can't do 20 of will be useful with your own body.
>>
File: cardio.gif (137 KB, 1288x2588) Image search: [Google]
cardio.gif
137 KB, 1288x2588
>>27046181

Here's for ya.
>>
>>27046248

Read my guide for a complete overview. Save it, it's worth it.

>>27045268

>count calories
>learn how much you need a day
>eat 400 less than that
>keep at it
>weight will be lost without any working out

That's for a beginning. Read the guide, you'll learn all you need.
>>
>>27043678
I only have time every day to do a cardio or weight session, not both. Right now I'm 6'0 175lbs skinnyfat and intend to cut. Should I lift while I cut or should I go full on cardiofag mode for a few months to make it go faster?
>>
>>27043678
I'm 5' 10" 160 pounds
How do I burn fat? I don't really care about building muscle. I usually just starve myself for a couple of weeks when I feel I'm getting too chubby
>>
Hi, I'm a 5'10" guy, walk around at 145-150 lbs. I'd like to cut up and put on a modest amount of muscle (10-15lbs or so), but my main focus is leaning out and maintaining. What would you recommend diet/routine-wise? Thanks!
>>
>>27046182
This is what I mean, I can't get into the mindset that it's something that 'needs' to be done. I don't care enough to have discipline, it's a foreign concept to me.

Lifting is more of a 'I know this is something I should be doing' situation rather than 'This is something I want to do.' It can only go so far.

There are also a few extenuating circumstances but I consider those excuses rather than real reasons why I have issues maintaining a routine.
>>
>>27046249
I'm a Lich, foolish mortal.
>>
>>27046337
>I only have time every day to do a cardio or weight session, not both.

Fitting, since you're not supposed to do both on the same day anyway.

> I'd like to cut up and put on a modest amount of muscle (10-15lbs or so), but my main focus is leaning out and maintaining. What would you recommend diet/routine-wise?

Cardio will burn the fat, so if that's your main concern, you can start with that. To get muscles, lift. It won't take long to get more muscles if you've never lifted before. Massive gains for noobs is the rule.

As to diet: just eat at a deficit, you'll get leaner. Calculate how many cals you need online, tons of calculators for that. Keep track of your calories, etc.

Read my guide for more.
>>
>>27046450
So just do both? If I had to pick one though, which one? I seriously only have 3-4 hours a week I can do this.
>>
>>27046378
>This is what I mean, I can't get into the mindset that it's something that 'needs' to be done.

It doesn't. It's not about anything being needed, it's about what YOU want.

The question is: what do you want and do you really want it? If yes, you'll do what it takes. If not, then you won't, but that's your choice.

>Lifting is more of a 'I know this is something I should be doing' situation

Reset your mindset. You don't need to do anything. Nobody's asking you to do this. No obligation. You're a big boy, you do what you choose. Understand this first and foremost.

I suggest you stop on that point long enough, and consider what you want and how much you want it. Seems to me you're not aware enough of your wishes, because you must have some desire to get fit if you started at all, but not enough to go on with it, that's how I read you.

State your goals.
>>
>>27046473

I'd say this: start with cardio alone, since your main goal is to get lean. See how that goes.

Later on, if you want some muscles, consider lifting (see guide for more).

4 hours a week is way enough. 3 times a week is plenty of action already. Run for an hour, if you can, is tons of cardio.

It's far, far enough. Don't worry. It's loads.
>>
Fuck this. If your body is your problem, then you are goddamn normie. Then go live your happy lives. I do not see any reason to bother, because le workout will not cure my lifelong mental problems nor my ugly face and even worse personality.
>>
>>27046136
I didn't know you could get internet 6 feet underground.

I'm 6' 180lbs. I couldn't imagine what I would look like at even 150lbs, let alone 120.
>>
>>27046581
I plan on lifting once I get lean. When is the exact point you can tell that you're lean enough to start bulking?
>>
>>27046607
You should lift while cutting too. You'll still get your noob gains as the majority of beginning lifting is CNS adaptation and learning what works for you.

Plus it helps with whatever lean body mass you already have.
>>
>>27046598
>Fuck this. If your body is your problem, then you are goddamn normie.

You don't need a problem to improve. You can improve things that are OK. Your body won't be OK forever, though. You're young, but that won't always be the case. Take care of your body now and it will take care of you in a few decades.

You can add 40 years of your life with a good plan. Consider how much vidya that is. Absolutely worth the 3 hours per week.

>because le workout will not cure my lifelong mental problems

Depending on what you has, no, but that's not the reason to work out anyway. It can't hurt, however. It did wonders for me.

>nor my ugly face and even worse personality.

A fitter body always results in a nicer looking face. As to your personality, I can help you with that, no joke, state your problem.
>>
>>27046644
Already said I don't really have time to do both
>>
I want to be strong op, i only have 20 lbs dumbbells what do? I don't really understand workout plans and all that stuff. I repeat reps but they never give results, what do?
>>
>>27046607
>When is the exact point you can tell that you're lean enough to start bulking?

No real point beyond your own preference. Don't bulk, though. Just eat enough protein, but the whole bulking thing is vastly bullshit and certainly not for beginners. You need protein, not extra calories.
>>
>>27046743
i'm 5'10 skinnyfat dweeb. weight 150Ibs
>>
>>27046743

Please, please read the guide. I talk about all of it in ways you can understand the whole thing and its details.

Your dumbbells are probably useless if you can't change the weight.

>reps and sets

>lift 8 times, that's a set
>do 5 sets

If you don't feel anything, it's not heavy enough, simply. Read the guide! It'll help.
>>
>>27043678
>It is entirely within your reach to get better physically

Not interested, unless there is a chance to get into the 0.1% level.
>>
>>27045268
>>27045268
>>27045268
>>27045268
>>27045268

Guys, I have to go soon, it's midnight here.

I insist: most of your questions have their answers in the guide. Do read it. Save it, read whenever. It has sections, read the ones you care most for, read the rest another time, whatever you want.
>>
>>27046862
>Not interested, unless there is a chance to get into the 0.1% level.

There is a chance. Welcome aboard. What do you start with?
>>
>>27046870
Thanks for helping us out, bro, I appreciate it.

Think you can put the text of your guide into a pastebin? It's kinda hard to read
>>
>>27046300
Thanks, Nick. But I think I will do 4-5 days a week, unless i feel really exhausted. Thanks for the tips buddy, appreciate ya, I'm starting right now
>>
>>27043678
>actual fucking sports scientist here
too fucking lazy to roast OP on his shit, so please take everything this guy says carefully
>>
>>27046928

Very welcome. You guys are worth it.

And yes, I can. There's actually more to the guide that I wrote after I made an image, so you'll get the bonus.

Give me a second.

>>27046936

Be careful, 5 days a week is lots. If it's cardio, you'll be fine. I'd say differently for strength, but for cardio, if you can do it, do it.

I'll think of you. Be sure to report next time I make a thread.
>>
http://pastebin.com/zrpicavw

Hope this works.
>>
>>27046716
But why should I care? My body is the least of my problems. I am pretty healthy despite not having bunch of useless muscle. I don't need them if I waste all of my time inside.
>add 40 years of life
Implying I want to live long. There won't be any point to my life when I leave the uni and go in full wageslavery mode and go live alone. My mental state is getting worse every year, I regularly think about suicide.

You cannot fix a personality, you just have savior complex and you are full of yourself and shit, normie. Just so you know, I am nervous, paranoid, awkward, depressed, avoidant, insecure, partly insane, lazy, delusional. I can't form relationships and I hate everything, and the most myself. How much I need to bench to fix all of that?
>>
>>27047009
Thanks m80, bookmarked.
>>
>>27046953
>too fucking lazy to roast OP on his shit, so please take everything this guy says carefully

Everything I say can be checked. Nothing I advise is weird or extreme.

>fat is stored energy
>doing cardio burns it

>muscles grow after being trained
>this requires protein and rest
>not reaching failure is a good idea
>aim for reps that you can't do 8 or 10 with, and do 5; gradually increase the reps as you grow stronger, then load up and do less reps, etc
>>
>>27047051
>But why should I care? My body is the least of my problems.

For now maybe.

> I don't need them if I waste all of my time inside.

You don't seem to know that muscles are used for much more than carrying heavy stuff. It's an inside armor, basically. It'll help you with literally everything.

>Implying I want to live long. There won't be any point to my life when I leave the uni and go in full wageslavery mode and go live alone. My mental state is getting worse every year, I regularly think about suicide.

You have, indeed, a bigger problem than your body right now, but it can help you with this too. I can't stress this enough. If I had the chance to do this 10 years ago, I know it would have helped me, maybe even saved me. Don't give up on it. Give it a simple try, just to see.

>You cannot fix a personality,

You can.

>you just have savior complex and you are full of yourself and shit, normie.

You just called me a normie, big mistake. I'm a certified non-normie, but we won't go there. As to delusional complexes, if it ends up helping you, I really don't care to be thought of as a wannabe Jesus.

>Just so you know, I am nervous, paranoid, awkward, depressed, avoidant, insecure, partly insane, lazy, delusional.

I can help.

>How much I need to bench to fix all of that?

That's another problem, but I can help with it, and that I can do right now. Just give me a name I can use for you ITT.
>>
>>27046719
Cardio doesn't have to be a big deal. You'll burn a similar amount of calories doing a strength based lifting routine and like 20 minutes of jogging.
>>
>>27047062

Welcome.

whoriginal
>>
>>27046797
>>27046743
It depends completely on what you mean by strong.

To get traditionally strong you'll either need to make a gym at home, or join one.
>>
>>27047184
>Cardio doesn't have to be a big deal. You'll burn a similar amount of calories doing a strength based lifting routine and like 20 minutes of jogging.

I disagree. It depends on your level, sure, but running 20 minutes will always burn more than lifting. I don't count on lifting to burn calories, personally. It's virtually insignificant, at noob levels at any rate. Just my opinion.
>>
>>27047211
I meant similar as in it's not going to make a huge difference to him right now. He's 6' 175lbs skinny fat. He's not going to have to work very hard to get "lean".

He might as well get his noob gains while cutting from skinnyfat, that way he can either lean bulk or bulk from there and not be using baby weights. The amount of weight lifted (or not lifted) can be very detrimental to the confidence and therefore the motivation.
>>
>>27047272

>He might as well get his noob gains while cutting from skinnyfat,

I agree, but I think he said he doesn't have time to do both. He could, I guess, by alternating work outs, though.

>The amount of weight lifted (or not lifted) can be very detrimental to the confidence and therefore the motivation.

This should never be the case. You literally cannot consider this trivial stuff for your motivation. I started with shamefully light weights, but I never cared. If you work out in public, I understand it'd be different, but it shouldn't matter.
>>
>>27047381

Sorry, never meant to imply that it SHOULD motivate you. I just know a lot of guys have issues putting their ego aside and use too much weight in the beginning. Not being able to use the weights other guys are can be very harmful to motivation.

I agree that he should alternate. I lift three times a week, and do cardio on Tuesday and Thursdays. Being natty, I believe this is the optimal way to do it. I usually do something physical on the weekends as well.

>just tryin to help ya out.
>>
>>27047160
For now and forever. I am close to normal weight, my only problem is that I'm not ripped and aesthetic and all that crap. Stupid society standards. Defined by normies, no point for me because I won't ever fit in and I cannot pretend to be normal.

>You don't seem to know that muscles are used for much more than carrying heavy stuff. It's an inside armor, basically. It'll help you with literally everything.

Literally nothing. Pointless words. I do not need muscles in my daily life. No sports, no attracting women, no hard work, ever. And you did not even come up with any real reason.

You can't help. Posting cheap fitness advice which is everywhere on internet is not helping, really. You are mostly helping just yourself stroke your ego.
>im gonna help those losers xD
>just lift brah and beee urself

Thats how you sound to me.
Go enjoy your life. And let me suffer in peace. This place is all I have and you sre ruining it.
>>
>>27047452

I appreciate your contribution. I have to go now, if you want to stick around and help, do that!

I invite anyone else who can to do the same.

I'll try to be more present, but I have a full time job and a complicated life. It's not easy. I can't be here as often as I want.

>I am no normie, however
>I am really here to help

Night, everyone!
>>
>>27043678
Is there anything i should look it up before hitting the gym? What i mean by that - i'm 6'5" and i've been hearing that tall people like me requires doing slightly different exercises because it's hard to put up muscle mass.
>>
>>27047493
Ok, bye. Have a good night anon.

>>27047499
I'm lifting now, so I'll post inbetween sets. I'm glad someone else is trying to spread the fitness life.
>>
>>27047584
Well really it's just harder to "fill out" the larger frames. That's why there's a thing called manlet gains.

Basically it'll just take longer for you to make noticeable changes physically. You'll have to eat more while doing the same work for visibly less results. On the other hand, you have the capacity to lift a lot more in the end as you can have more muscle overall.

You might have to vary your lifts a little due to having a different range of motion. Just try to perfect your form, eat a lot, get lots of rest, and give it time.
>>
>>27047493
>I do not need muscles in my daily life.

Friend, without muscles, you couldn't move. Thus, you need them in your daily life, for everything, including breathing.

>And you did not even come up with any real reason.

The list is too long, but it includes being stronger, which helps with hundreds of things, from carrying shopping more easily, to carrying your own kids more easily, to being healthier, more resistant to any kind of attack, even surviving a car crash, etc. And living longer and better.

>You can't help. Posting cheap fitness advice which is everywhere on internet is not helping, really.

My advice isn't cheap, it's free, and if you did any of what I suggest, you'd get instant results. The advice doesn't matter, it's what you do that does.

>You are mostly helping just yourself stroke your ego.

I'm anonymous. It does nothing to my ego. I think you might be upset that I'm doing something I like and find productive while you do not.

>Go enjoy your life. And let me suffer in peace.

If that's what you really thought, you would never have posted here to begin with.

I asked you for a name I could use for you, to help with the psychological aspects of your problems. It'll have to be done next time. Almost 1 am here.

Don't give up. You have no idea how better things could become.
>>
Signing out, I'll see you guys next time.

Take care.
>>
>>27047667
I dont need to eat that much because i'm like 260 lbs fat instead of being classical lanklet. Does that mean i should do more lifting with heavy weights or use more cardio exercises?
>>
>>27047777
Well at that weight my recommendation is that you should just focus on lifting as heavy as you can, while going on a slight deficit. Do you happen to know, or be able to guess your body fat %?

With the above strategy you could "recomp" your body a bit. You'll lose some of the fat while building a little bit of muscle, and then you can go from there.
>>
>>27047875
My body fat is quite high (30 or more %), by BMI i'm in obese category. I should focus on classic exercises (like deadlift, squating and bench press) or machinery ones?
>>
>>27047962
I personally like the big compound movements as the basis of your workout. (squat, deadlift, bench, overhead press) After you get your main lifts done, feel free to do accessory work. I can post my routine if you'd like. It's tailored to what I like to do, and works on my imbalances also, so you'd need to customize it a little.
>>
File: image.jpg (67 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
67 KB, 1280x720
>tfw just got out of the gym after pull day
>tfw PR diddly lift of 165

I hit 4 chin-ups consecutively with 10 total reps between sets. Seeing the gains after 4 months of hard work is worth.
>>
>>27048024
Good job anon. Keep working. What are your body and other lift stats?
>>
>>27048013
If you could post, i'd appreciate it. I've been wondering what is wrong with me that others are gaining fast but i seem to take forever. It kind of sucks that i want immediate results.
>>
>>27048120
The large frame is the reason bud. It know it sucks now, but keep going. I might be able to better explain it using a metaphor.

Imagine you have two trees. One is 5 feet tall and the other is 10 feet tall. They have the same number of limbs, but the 10 foot tree is proportionally larger. Leaves are like muscles, so if you put a leaf on each tree (you gain the same amount of muscle regardless of size) it'll look better on the 5 foot tree. That one leaf will cover up more space vs on the 10 foot tree. It takes longer to "fill out" the 10 foot tree, but it in the end it has the capacity to hold many more leaves.

week 1: AxBxAxx
week 2: BxAxBxx

x days are non lifting days. I like to do cardio or just rest

A:
3x6 squat (I ATG)
3x6 flat bench
3x6 pendlay rows
3x6 lat raises
3x8 skull crushers
3x8 chest flies
3x8 tricep extensions

B:
3x3 deadlift
3x6 overhead press
3x5 power cleans
3x8 power shrugs
3x8 barbell curls
2x8 reverse curls
3x 30 second farmer walks (you'll have to determine your weight for these)
>>
>>27045625
Here's an easy cheap but delicious recipe

A can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce

4-5 tablespoons of olive oil

4 garlic cloves minced

2-3 teaspoons of salt

2-3 teaspoons of pepper

Mix all this shit up and marinate it on your chicken breasts (4-5 breasts is ideal with the measurements I gave you). I put my raw chickens in a plastic sandwich bag and let them marinate in the fridge for 3 hours (you can let them marinate up to 24 hours). Then just cook that shit on high in a skillet with some butter or a little oil if you like.

To make chicken that's tender and soft, cook them on high on one side for 2 minutes then flip them over, lower the temperature to about mid heat and cover the skillet/pan and let it cool for 7-10 min.

This chicken is amazing and still nutritious af with almost negligible calories added
>>
>>27048404
Now, since I'm an intermediate lifter, it's got a decent amount of volume. If you wanted to just take the main 4 lifts, and take some of those accessory lifts I can help you.

I like having more upper body stuff in there because I have a long torso, longer arms, and little legs. That's why I work the upper body harder.
>>
My left shoulder bone makes this popping sound that has recently increased in volume after I accidentally did my back squat with unequal weights on the bar.

The very top of my shoulder also hurts when I touch it, right at the acumen I think.
>>
File: skirt.gif (1 MB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
skirt.gif
1 MB, 480x640
OP if you are still around THANK YOU.

Your single guide was more helpful than a month of trolling /fit/.

Needs more fat shaming though.
>>
>>27048442
this sounds amazing af senpai
>>
>>27048570
Definitely get that checked out. At the very least chill a bit and let it rest for a week or two. It's much better to deal with it now than ignore it and make it worse.

>>27048581
If you have any questions I'll try and help you.

>>27048603
Keep in mind olive oil has ~100 calories per tablespoon, so if you're cutting take it easy on that. Other than that, it does look pretty good.
>>
>>27048450
So if i have longer legs and shorter torso i should work legs harder?
>>
>>27048641
That depends on what you wanna look like. I want sturdy and strong, but not huge body builder legs. Legs grow a lot quicker proportionately in my opinion. If you work them like any beginner program will have you do, they'll look ok.
>>
What is just doing pushups and pull ups going to get me, I'm 5-10 and 140 lbs pls kill me
>>
>>27048727
Eh... calisthenics can help you build a base, but at best you'll look ok. If you wanna get any size you'll either have to be really dedicated to calisthenics or lift weights also.

Just make sure you're progressively overloading with each workout.
>>
>>27048724
I kinda have a lot of "mass" on my things but i'd like to shape them up as oppose to increase them in volume.
>>
>>27048790
The only way that you can be "toned" (which is what I think you're going for) is to have lean body mass, and lower body fat. This can be achieved by building muscle and losing fat. I would suggest weight training to do the former, and doing a thorough cut while continuing to lift in order to do the latter.
>>
>>27048843
Will my weight will drop,dont change or even rise? Muscle mass weights more so i'm thinking it should increase my mass a bit.
>>
>>27048770
Thanks ty matey original origin
>>
>>27048939
Well muscle mass weighs more by volume. I used to think I had big legs, but then I realized the majority of it was fat. They looked ok in pants, but then looked awful otherwise.

If you do a body recomp it will likely decrease the size of your legs, actually. But they will look more toned as the muscle begins to show through.

>>27048983
No problem. If you plan on going down the calisthenics route, look around on youtube for stuff. It'll probably be your best bet.
>>
>>27049012
So recapping all of this - i should be taking heavy traditional exercises and not be worried if results are not coming fast because i have large frame?
>>
>>27049130
Basically, yeah. You'll have to eat more than most other people, and your gains will come at the same pace, but it'll look like they're coming slower.

It has to be spread a little further on your frame than others. Just lift big, eat big, and sleep big. Make sure you get enough protein (120-160g a day) and enough calories.

Most of the time people fail or give up because they're impatient. It'll take time, but it's well worth it.
>>
>>27045311
Philanthropists cross boarding is a good thing, it's advice that people have a hard time just approaching since /fit/ has it share of people who don't give a fuck.
>>
>>27045643
You could always aim to get the stomach clamp surgery with money senpai.
>>
>>27047493
Here's an idea, why don't you hide the thread and get the fuck out then? Seriously. If you're determined to stay miserable on 4chan's worst board, then at least do it in silence. This is why she doesn't like you
>>
>>27047493
The man isn't here for the mental aspect, just the fit part anon. You're tying the body with the mind too strongly for advice right now.

Generally the understanding is, being /fit/ has the positive association by what your society recognises as common sense, the same kind taught as look for oncoming traffic, it's just a way of the world type thing set amongst all biological animals.

We are comfy the way we are now, don't regret it though in the future, that would be retarded because your choice now is reflecting the decision to be this way.
Behaviour is how we act & conduct ourselves, this is shaped by experience and choices that become short term & long term memories.
It's not easy to change our choices, just remember not to regret and breakdown like we all have from forgetting.
>>
File: 1407211660948.jpg (9 KB, 235x215) Image search: [Google]
1407211660948.jpg
9 KB, 235x215
ayo nick, you're a faggot
Thread replies: 169
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.