[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this true? Is shyness and anxiety the result of vanity?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 141
Thread images: 14
File: image.jpg (206 KB, 800x675) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
206 KB, 800x675
Is this true? Is shyness and anxiety the result of vanity?
>>
No, it's the result of being treated like shit.
>>
Yes. Because you feel that people are going to care if you fuck up or not. Truth is, people forget things almost as soon as it happens.
>>
wow that comic guy really owned the other comic guy hes all like O_O
get this shit out of here
>>
>>27041834
What if it's like in the case of the comic you care that you're going to fuck up asking a girl out. She'll probably remember it for a while and even tell her friends.
>>
> you have low self-esteem?
> you must be a narcissist!

Normies sure do love to play psychologist
>>
These comics always enrage me. Any comic that's supposed to prove a point or have an arguable message. (As opposed to one that's like "don't be a dick or it'll bite you in the ass" or whatever). Because it's like the creator wasn't mature enough to write out any well thought out points nor is there any way to let them know how fucking stupid they look. Fortunately there are those satirical versions where it's like
>I'm the level headed intelligent protagonist of this comic
>I DISAGREE WITH YOU AND YELL AND LOOK ANGRY AND BAD
If you know what I mean, they're usually posted somewhat frequently.
>>
does it actually matter where it comes from?
no because normalshits don't give good advice anyway
>>
It's true in my case. To be quite honest, I do consider myself superior to most people around me, which may have something to do with why I'm shy and bad with people.
>>
>>2704176
How is fear of humiliation and further alienation vanity? How is fearing a "creepy" rep vain.
>>
>>27041834
>Truth is, people forget things almost as soon as it happens.
This isn't true, and if you think this you've never fucked up very bad in a social situation.

>>27041796
It's obviously true, in that shy people care about what others think of them. So do confident people and almost everybody else.
>>
>>27041834
>people forget things almost as soon as it happens
this is such BS
>>
It's the opposite. I feel unworthy of other people's attention.
>>
it's the farthest thing from vanity actually

i feel worthless, i feel like i'm wasting people's time when i interact with them. my ego does not exist. my self-esteem does not exist.
>>
>>27041888
/thread
I don't understand how the comic can make sense to anyone, unless they don't know what vanity means...
>>
>>27041796
>comic is two boys
>women get to hold on to their pretty little egos
>>
Everything is vanity.
Society only works on the surface.
Everything is superficial.

The facebook era has made this bed and couched it in those terms.

Yes its vanity
But so is this comic

All illness is vanity
All the worlds problems remain problems becuase of it in some way.
Everything is shit.
>>
>>27041796
Well - dont think so. I dont ask a girl out just because i dont want to ruin her life.
>>
>>27042109
>I
>I
>I'm
>I
>my
>my
>not narcissistic
You care so much about how people perceive you that you let it destroy your self esteem. That's vanity.
>>
>>27042172
You didn't use being "shy" as your excuse, so it doesn't apply to you.
>>
>>27042180
>NEVER TALK ABOUT YOURSELF OR YOUR FEELINGS OR YOU'RE VAIN!!!!
shit, i've been caught

how does he do it
>>
>>27042225
cant argue with that logic gentleman.
>>
>>27042180
I fucking hate this, I used to talk to someone who always bitched about how self centered I was because I used the words I and my. The best part was she also got mad if I made any assumptions about her at all, so I was basically stuck not allowed to say anything without inspiring her ire.
>>
>>27042303
Your fear of negative attention is just a projection you set up to preserve your victim complex. It's Vanity.
>>
>>27041796
Sometimes, yes
Even most of the time
>>
>>27042385
E prime is really hard
RAW could write it pretty naturally after practise but it was a challenge to speak it.
>>
>>27042385
Learn a language where implied subjects are used.
>>
>>27042180
Do you even know what narcissism is?
>>
>>27041796
I think there is some shop/continuation of this comic which I might've seen a long time ago, anyone have it?
>>
>>27042435
I have no idea what this means.
>>27042438
I'm sure she'd find a fault with that too.
>>
look guys I made a comic which means I'm right
>>
>>27042385
I used to be in your situation. Honestly take a step back and try to notice how often you are talking about yourself. I actually did talk about myself way too much. In your case, she might have been a bitch, but I encourage you to pay attention to how much you reference yourself in conversation.
>>
File: file.png (217 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
file.png
217 KB, 480x270
>>27042412
hmm yes quite, excellent analysis m'goodsir

*tips fedora*

*flips through pages of DSM-5 For Dummies while smoking pipe*
>>
>>27042470
>I used to be
>I actually did
>about myself
>I encourage you
NARCISSIST FUCK OFF
>>
>>27042475
Have fun spending your life alone you dumbfuck cuckold-master.
>>
>>27042470
I referenced myself a lot in those conversations because I didn't have the capacity to talk about her side of things because I didn't have the insight required. All I know is my side of things, so of course I'm going to talk about myself.
>>
>>27042503
>responding to me at all
Stalker much??
>>
File: tippy.png (201 KB, 437x437) Image search: [Google]
tippy.png
201 KB, 437x437
>>27042508
have fun stringing together psych 101 terms in a random fashion to "analyze" strangers over the internet, lil' freud

everyone thinks you are VERY smart
>>
>>27042510
Sounds like it was just her desu. A lot of women are like that actually. They can talk about themselves for hours without letting you get a word in.
>>
File: 1457342277998.jpg (174 KB, 1533x961) Image search: [Google]
1457342277998.jpg
174 KB, 1533x961
>>27042569
If you don't want a response, don't post.
>>
>>27042582
She didn't even over talk about herself, she just got mad whenever I started to talk about myself. For a long time we always focused on her issues, and whenever I had problems it was a total nonstarter. So obviously I hide all my issues, and now here we are with me a suicidal drug addict and her cutting off contact because she can't afford to waste time on me. Funny how it works. I dropped out of college because I couldn't handle college and her at the same time. Or maybe that's just an excuse, I don't know. The lesson here is that woman won't fix anything.
>>
>>27042627
>woman won't fix anything.
That's certainly the truth.

What's been making you so stressed out, anon?
>>
>>27042682
I'm not even really sure why I'm like this. I've just had an internal drive towards self destruction for most of my life, and it's really picking up speed right now. I think this either culminates in suicide, overdose, imprisonment, or institutionalization, and I can't decide which I want to lean towards.
>>
Imo it's true. Certainly think it applies to me.

What >>27042412 is getting at is that self-loathing is a very real and powerful way of self-aggrandizing. If you don't want to take risks in social situations and shit, and lead a boring, secluded life, it's easy and satisfying to take on the role of romantic hero instead of trying to change your ways. And that sort of narrativizing is obviously incredibly vain.
>>
File: WTF-001-friends1.gif (115 KB, 700x691) Image search: [Google]
WTF-001-friends1.gif
115 KB, 700x691
Nope, that's part of an odd-couple style comic where the lanky one generally focuses on making his toe-shaped buddy commit suicide.

Taking this seriously is like worrying that maybe Garfield is right about the flaws of Odie.
>>
File: 25.gif (2 MB, 360x240) Image search: [Google]
25.gif
2 MB, 360x240
>being shy makes you a bad person

I'm out I'm done I'm finished
>>
>>27042723
Unfortunately, I don't have much to offer besides normie-tier "feel good" advice. I don't know you, but I hope you can find yourself happy some day bro.
>>
>>27042755
Thank you for explaining it much better than I could.
>>
>>27042811
That could be nice, but I don't think that's in the cards, even if only for the sole reason that I've decided it probably isn't. I'm not looking for advice, I'm just rambling here because I don't have anywhere else to do it.
>>
File: WTF-086-correction1.gif (144 KB, 700x691) Image search: [Google]
WTF-086-correction1.gif
144 KB, 700x691
>>27042803
The cartoonist regularly makes both characters in the wrong, it's just your classic cro-magnon vs snob bullshit.
>>
>>27042803

It doesn't. It just means you're a bit weak and/or delusional and/or immature. Everyone has flaws anon :^)
>>
File: 1456242602614.jpg (12 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
1456242602614.jpg
12 KB, 259x194
>>27042842
/r9k/ is a great place to vent. Just know that there is at least one stranger out there wishing you well.
>>
File: 1457151686751.jpg (140 KB, 421x600) Image search: [Google]
1457151686751.jpg
140 KB, 421x600
What kind of backwards fucking logic is that? If you're just timid by nature or doubt yourself because you don't value yourself that high, its not a fucking excuse of 'oh its just vanity'.
Of course normalfags can't perceive this, they think we just look down on them for not being confident and openly full of themselves like they are, like we've got this hidden 'ego'.
>>
>>27041796
No, it's the result of being bullied during your formative years, mostly. Can also be due to events in early childhood. This pappalardo person wouldn't know either way, his precious just world fallacy must be protected at all costs, his entire reality rests on it.
>>
>>27042908
We both know there isn't any actual significance to that. Or at least there isn't to me.
>>
dude, how the fuck would i know

god, you faggots ask these kinds of questions in all the wrong places
>>
>>27042909
The difference between the timid robot, and the normalfag is that one puts their neck on the line in social situations, and the other doesn't.
>>
>>27041796
No - speaking as a vain man who has been shy in the past, the two emotions are distinctly separate and should be regarded as such.

Shyness is NOT an aspect of vanity. That comic is retarded and smug.
>>
I am shy because I have zero self-esteem and am completely worthless?

how is that vanity?

my ego isn't fragile, it's shattered. destroyed, crumpled up, thrown out with the trash years ago.
>>
>>27043039
Obviously you're a vain, narcissistic fuckwad for sheltering what little crumbs of ego you have left. Now apologize for being so self centered.
>>
If you approach and she doesn't like you then you're street harassing and why can't you just leave women in peace.

If you don't approach and she would have liked you then "where did all the men with balls enough to approach go? What's with all these pussy man children."

Now this new one? If you don't approach you're a narcissist...

What exactly are we supposed to do?
>>
>>27043078
Just kind of die I think.
>>
>>27042937
The normie can get away with it because he's always been treated positively, thus his sense of confidence can be used to its full extent. Even if he was to get shot down by something, he could easily have others validating him and boosting him back to perfectly fine in no time.
A robot very rarely gets that and are seen as dirt, that really shoves a pipe into the gears and makes them question if they're worth anything and stay at the back away from it all, which hampers their social skills. If they do even try to stick it out and in most cases they get put back in their place, they're reminded that they shouldn't even bother.
Building confidence isn't as easy as flicking a switch as people think, it takes time and if you got it from a young age through others praise, you've got years of it built up.
>>
>>27041796
It really makes no sense at all
>>
>>27043039

Oh poor you. Such a tough life. So misunderstood. So worthless.

It's vanity because you turn yourself into a tragic character when you're really just some guy, like everyone else.
>>
>>27042778
>>27042889
>Literally no one listens
>Literally no one decides to look up things that anger them to understand their contextual place
>the tendency of the most isolated and disturbed on the site is to assume the worst and get very angry
Jeez Louise you guys.
>>
>>27043143
It's more interesting to assume the worst.
>>
>>27042723
>suicide, overdose, imprisonment, or institutionalization
Oh I'm sure you'll find a way to experience them all, normiescum.
>>
>>27043132
I never said any of that but okay
>>
>WOW THIS LONELY GUY SURE NEEDS TO BE TAKEN DOWN A NOTCH
>>
My shyness and anxiety have nothing to do with how others perceive me and entirely to do with how I perceive myself
>>
>>27041888

Correct. And also very nice consecutive numbers.
>>
>>27044215
THAT'S VANITY SKREEEEEEEE

don't bother

normies won't let you just exist, they have to take shots at you for everything
>>
>>27041796
>don't enjoy talking to most people
>don't bother talking to people
wow I'm so vain
>>
>>27041796
>>27041796
OR he's so shy that when that idea was introduced to him he was paralyzed with existential terror before completely snapping, damned to wiping out his very brain chemistry to corrosive introspection
>>
>>27044255
Same to you famly
>>
I think part of it comes from not understanding how it's possible to feel anxious or depressed as a result of having a mostly normal psyche. It's less distressing to think that it's a result of something they've done wrong rather than acknowledge the possibility that you may be limited by your genetics and brain structure. Because then if that's true, it means you might not be able to get big like Arnold, sing like Madonna, rap like Eminem, get that job like your dad did, etc. It's always better to have false hope than to know that something is not possible.
>>
>>27044282

You're not because that's not shyness or anxiety. It's people who crave interaction but are too stuck in their own head to pursue it who are vain.
>>
vanity:

excessive pride in or admiration of one's own appearance or achievements.
>>
>>27042723
a good advice for you would be to become an artist (a musician or a writer works best)
>>
>>27044148

Come on senpai. "I'm completely worthless", "my ego was shattered years ago" - you couldn't have written a more self-loathing post.
>>
I understand what the author is trying to say, but "vanity" is not the correct word.
>>
>>27044531

What is? (original post desu)
>>
Shit like this is why every normie that has ever died in a mass shooting objectively deserved their fate.

Surely I'm not the only one here who squeals with glee when I hear about a mass shooting where multiple normies are killed or maimed takes place. The Bataclan attack was fucking ecstasy for me. And the great thing is that with Muslims flooding into Europe, more events like the Bataclan attack are inevitable. Yeah, "hurr OW le EDGE", whatever. I fucking love when normies die young and afraid.
>>
>>27044559
Self obsessed maybe?
>>
>>27044631
they feel a small sample of the sheer horror that is stretched out over our lives.

it's only fair.
>>
>>27044951
>>27044631
hey retards, congrats on getting yourselves on high threat list.

hope you psychos get locked up.
>>
>>27044631
Said from the basement of a suburban home by a faggity white guy. Well done internet tough guy.
>>
>>27044995
either bait or clueless as fuck normie
Either way, kill yourself.
>>
>>27041796
It may be, but not the only factor.

I was shy when I was younger and now I don't care at all, I say everything I want. Misantropy was my cure to shyness, I'm too jaded to care anymore.
>>
>>27044780

Yeah, that works. That's not far off from narcissism, though.
>>
>>27044631
most of the people killed in school shootings never had any contact with the shooter and are basically innocent bystanders

but I don't have the EDGE you do anon
>>
>>27041888
This.

They're all armchair psychologists that don't realize that vanity in itself is often because of being treated like shit.

They love to play the blame game, even moreso than robots.
>>
>>27041834
>Truth is, people forget things almost as soon as it happens

This is patently false. People still make fun of me for shit that happened years ago.
>>
>>27041796
No.

False analogy.

With vanity, people have excessive pride or admiration in their own qualities.

With social anxiety, people (typically) fear inadequacy in their own qualities.

The word "ego" can have multiples meaning. There's the connotation in which it's used to imply a focus on the self (i.e. self-centered), and there's the connotation in which it's used to imply conceit and vanity.

The hallmark of vanity/conceit is self-admiration, which is the thing that socially anxious people lack. So clearly the analogy falls flat there.

The more insidious implication is that socially anxious people are self-centered. This is true at face value, in the sense that socially anxious people often think about how they are perceived by others, i.e. in the sense they're self-conscious.

However, self-centered has the implication that they're forsaking others in the process of focusing on themselves, which imparts a feeling of undeserved selfishness.

The thing is, everyone has to be selfish to some extent. If you didn't care about the self, you would die. There are some levels of selfish that are socially acceptable, and others that aren't. For example, when one is seriously hurt, it's usually considered acceptable to care more about oneself in those situations.

For this analogy to hold, then, your social anxiety would have to not be considered a serious problem. That's the shitty sentiment that the OP's post is hiding under all the fancy words.

TL;DR: Normies think your social problems aren't real, and that you should feel bad for obsessing over them.
>>
File: 420 arizona feeling frogly.jpg (57 KB, 604x604) Image search: [Google]
420 arizona feeling frogly.jpg
57 KB, 604x604
Read this whole post because its the real shit:

In the comic is portrayed one of the many ways by which you can silence people who, indirectly and in a confused way, allude to the necessity of maintaining a public image, even in mundane environments and in the pettiest ways. The pettiness of it is why people don't like to admit it influences them.

One of the few things I admire about Confucianism, and to a lesser extent Islam, is how it puts the cards on the table regarding ostracism and social convention. The rules of propriety are there to see and criticise if you'd like to accept the price of dissent in such a society.
In Western societies, all these conventions are masked, and a great deal of emphasis is put on 'not caring what others think of you', despite this being as important in the West as it was in old China.

Our way entails that you can transgress, or dissent, if it pleases you, and all you will get is scorn, because in our society, social pressure doesn't exist past adolescence,
anyone can find a group of peers who will accept them provided they are not dysfunctional somehow - so, if you act improperly, without tact or regard for social conventions, the problem is not that conventions exist, and are perhaps socially restrictive to people who have done nothing wrong besides transgress against propriety, the problem is you. 'It isn't that egoism is encouraged, you are exceptionally vain and project this flaw onto others.'

Therefrom crawls the robot into public life. Pariahs who are not officially pariahs, incapable of abiding by an entrenched custom that doesn't exist. Unable to see this, they become bitter and lash out at symptoms, or accept their innate worthlessness and dalit status, killing themselves, embracing passivity or turning jailhouse gay.
The prospect of progress and acceptance is a carrot on a stick for them.
qtpi is their YHWH, in its name they are broken with non-existent rods of invisible iron, spewed out of god's mouth.
>>
>>27045495
>tfw not smart enough to understand this post
>>
shy people have a big ego but also a fragile ego,
donald trump has a big ego but a strong ego
>>
>"HAVE YOU EVER STOPPED TO CONSIDER THAT (a whole bunch of unrelated shit)???"
>doesn't even try to explain why

Who thought this was a smart comic?
>>
>>27045495
>qtpi is their YHWH, in its name they are broken with non-existent rods of invisible iron, spewed out of god's mouth.
this sounds deep but i have no idea what it means.
so i'm going to call it pretentious instead.
>>
>>27041796

>too anxious to go outside and work

>too self loathing and nervous/beta to do anything really

wow ego and coward xD
>>
>>27045495

lel dropped the ball in the last paragraph

good effort doe 7/10
>>
>>27045026
>Either way, kill yourself.
no, thanks. unlike you i have plenty to live for. glad to know psychos like you are miserable though lmao
>>
>>27042755
>Risks in social situations

WHAT RISKS

WHAT RISKS BRO

DO YOU WANT ME TO GO AND FIGHT SOMEONE

AM I SUPPOSED TO FIGHT A MAN OVER HIS WIFE TO TRY AND BE DOMINANT

WHAT RISKS

EVERY TIME I GO OUTSIDE I CAN FEEL DEATH I CAN FEEL THE PEOPLE AROUND ME AND THEIR NEGATIVITY

WHAT RISKS
>>
>>27042755
>romantic hero
Remind me what's romantic or heroic about this lifestyle again?

I could see people fabricating some narrative as a coping mechanism, but I'd call that a mental disorder instead of vanity.
>>
>>27045495
>Therefrom crawls the robot into public life. Pariahs who are not officially pariahs, incapable of abiding by an entrenched custom that doesn't exist.
Too many big words, i lost track of what you were saying
>>
File: i have ascended.jpg (658 KB, 1156x1734) Image search: [Google]
i have ascended.jpg
658 KB, 1156x1734
>>27045891

Most NEETs seem to want to be both emotionally and socially independent, yet also enjoying the benefits of friends and companionship, the ideal of most Western/ised peoples when it comes to their social life.
A lot of robots talk about how they want to live on a farm, or someplace isolated, but with a qtpi so they know that they could enjoy some status if they wanted to. Those who want to live entirely cut off, Unabomber (G.b.f) style, are expressing a desire to be done with the whole idea of society, their pariah status making life without others bearable by comparison.

Its the desire to be either cut off entirely, or 'cut off' but connected through a mate, both of which meaning some reprieve from the shame. If you have an end-goal which lies within the confines of a system which is wasting you, however slowly, you will be tied to it. Its an investment in the society you are, in the human sense, at the bottom of.
For poor robots this is crushing. They have literally nothing tying them to this world, they are floating matter. If you care even a bit for people, keep them in mind.

No matter how aware a robot is of what is wrong, how necessary it is that the way people are compelled to act and treat one another must change, they will humiliate themselves in order to re-enter, or enter, society and prove that their lives and what they think has value and meaning to other people.

This is already a wall so I'll tie it up here. Pic may be related.
>>
>>27046297
>>27045925

Last paragraph was far to self-indulgent and pretentious, I'll apologise for that, but my assburgers explode when I get to do my fire and brimstone bit.

The needlessness of all the self-loathing and vitriol, and the shame and 'sissification' by perceived emasculation I see here just fucks my shit up, I can't restrain the autistic zeal.

But I swear to god, there is a kernel of worth there.
>>
>>27041796
This is literally only what normies who have no idea what they are talking about think.
>>
>>27046205

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romantic_hero
>>
>>27045347

Only cause it so obviously bothers you.
>>
>>27046443
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romantic_hero
>literary archetype

Again, you haven't answered what's romantic or heroic about this lifestyle.
>>
File: 1440293784717.jpg (94 KB, 604x396) Image search: [Google]
1440293784717.jpg
94 KB, 604x396
>>27041796
please leave me alone

i'm already pathetic enough, i try to keep to myself and not bother anyone and you still attack me for "vanity" or "ego" or whatever just STOP just LET ME EXIST STOP GETTING YOUR KICKS FROM PUTTING PEOPLE DOWN
>>
>>27044449
I write but I don't have the energy to write productively. Fuck man, even when I'm on powerful stimulants I just sit around watching TV.
>>27043617
Yes, I'm such a normie buying drugs online and knocking myself out in my bedroom.
>>
>>27046297

Forgot to mention the actual meaning behind the hysterics -
robots exist because they can't see and act in line with the subtle rules that regulate the way we interact with others.
They end up isolated and unable to get back in touch, because they don't 'fit in' anywhere.
>>
>>27046501

???

Your question is besides the point. I was referring to the archetype. Or I'm seriously misunderstanding you.
>>
>>27046587
>Subtle rules
Yeah i tend to forget that i don't have a soul
>>
>>27046653

So you do see where you've 'gone wrong'?
If so, what happened?
>>
>>27045495
This is great. I hope it becomes copy pasta. Good job famm. Checkem.
>>
>>27046620
Alright, let's back it up a bit.

There's a claim being made in >>27042755.

That
>it's easy and satisfying to take on the role of romantic hero instead of trying to change your ways

I'm not sure where you get that robots are trying to pretend to be this literary archetype. Maybe you personally are/were (presuming you made that post), but I don't see how it generalizes.

I'm asking how robots could even justify to themselves that they fulfill the role of the "romantic hero", in attempt to understand how it might be a common phenomenon.
>>
>>27046755
Complete numbness of the soul and the decrease of my 'fighting spirit'(not being able to hold prolonged eye contact, voice grown weaker, stiffness and weakness in movements and loss of aggresiveness)
>>
>>27041796
>self-important fuck calling others narcissists.
>>
>>27041796
I can understand where the author is coming from - caring so much about how others perceive you to the point of not taking action to keep your own sense of self-image.

>>27041834
>Truth is, people forget things almost as soon as it happens.

this is true if you go out to an event with lots of people but in terms of social arenas like school, work, clubs, your decisions can come back and bite you in the ass - especially asking out the wrong girl. Pic related is my example
>>
Hmm, that cartoon does have a point. A lot of the shy/antisocial/introverted guys also have big egos.
>>
>>27041796
The expression of the leftmost guy in the third panel says to me that he realises he has just said something really and probably ruined their friendship.

The last panel the guy just sits there wondering why his buddy sperged so hard.

>I'm scared of wolves because of vanity, not because I'm scared of the unpleasant thigns they might do to me
>>
>>27047100
Cover Saint,
in lamb's wool.
We're surrounded by,
the fucking wolves
>>
>>27041962
>I'm so superior that I'm afraid to talk to others

You sound delusional
>>
>>27046871
>I'm not sure where you get that robots are trying to pretend to be this literary archetype

Fantasizing about idealistic relationships and qts, complaining about the ills of society, hating normie scum, wallowing in comfy self-pity, doing all of the aforementioned whilst casting themselves as the misunderstood ones, taking a sort of perverse pride in it and refusing to adjust to society - I think you'd agree this is all standard robot behaviour.

Building your shitty unfulfilling lifestyle up as something more poetic and meaningful than it is is obviously not like a conscious decision, but I do think the stuff I listed above all contributes to that building up.
>>
>>27047256
>implying robots are not The Beautiful Ones

Ignorant normie.
>>
>>27047256
another guy here
all of these except hating normies apply to me.
how do I change, what do I do? I tried to be normal and I tried to adjust to society but I just felt even shittier.
how do I escape? I think it's too late for me to assimilate
>>
>>27047390

I'm at best a cyborg myself (very rare and short-lived romantic encounters, a handful of friends who mostly live abroad), so it's not like I can give you great advice. The most unproductive thing one can do is wallow in self-pity. Go back to trying and never stop. It's what I'm doing. It's not like that's made me particularly happy, but it's an improvement over pure robotdom.
>>
>>27047256
>I think you'd agree this is all standard robot behaviour.
Most people do these things in some form or another.

It's ridiculous to say this constitutes the role of a "Romantic Hero".

>Fantasizing about idealistic relationships and qts
Just people fantasizing about things they don't have.

This also flies in the face of the Romantic Hero archetype, as per your wiki article
"Usually estranged from his more grounded, realist biological family and leading a rural, solitary life, the Romantic hero may nevertheless have a long-suffering love interest, herself victimised by his rebellious tendencies, with their fates intertwined for decades, sometimes from their youths to their deaths."

>complaining about the ills of society
Just people blaming their problems on the outside. Also, who DOESN'T complain about the world?

How often do you met someone who was genuinely satisfied with the world?

>hating normie scum
Hating people above you.

Normies do this to the rich, the poor do this to the normies.

>wallowing in comfy self-pity
I don't recall self-pity being a trait of the Romantic Hero.

In fact, from the wiki
"another common trait of the Romantic hero is regret for his actions, and self-criticism, often leading to philanthropy"

Wallowing in self-pity typically involves pretending that one had no agency in arriving at his shit predicament. It's part of the victim complex.

This is the opposite of regretting one's actions and self-criticizing, which is to admit agency and fault.

Moreover
>robots
>philanthropy

>doing all of the aforementioned whilst casting themselves as the misunderstood ones
To be fair, they are misunderstood, if only because most people are really shit at understanding each other because their experiences and mindsets are so vastly separate.

(continued)
>>
>>27047256
>>27047973
>taking a sort of perverse pride in it and refusing to adjust to society
Sour grapes, or just a way to cope.

I don't think refusing to adjust to society is a bad thing necessarily, but if you do, you have to own the choice and its consequences.

>Building your shitty unfulfilling lifestyle up as something more poetic and meaningful than it is is obviously not like a conscious decision, but I do think the stuff I listed above all contributes to that building up.

I don't see how any of this could be construed as particularly poetic or meaningful.
>>
>>27046314
You are very long winded
>>
no just people don't understand being quite...i was quite most of my life.
>>
>>27048127
being quiet what?
>>
>>27047256
This is well crafted sophistry. Bravo.

By your reasoning robots are 'romanticizing' themselves if they make self loathing posts or self aggrandizing ones. Any attempt at explanation is lashing out at society or wallowing and further evidence of 'romanticizing'.

It just isn't falsifiable.
>>
File: dfsg.jpg (10 KB, 249x249) Image search: [Google]
dfsg.jpg
10 KB, 249x249
>tfw keep worrying that I'm a narcissist
>tfw realize that probably makes me a narcissist
>>
>>27047973
So I never said robots fit the archetype. Indeed the archetype is a lot more noble than most robots. My point was that that's how many lonely and unhappy people like fantasize about themselves - as the misunderstood, against-the-grain intellectual, someone more noble than they really are. Obviously I can't factually prove it, it's just a feeling I have from catching my own thinking dumb thoughts, and seeing people irl and on /r9k/ do similarly.

>Just people fantasizing about things they don't have.
>Just people blaming their problems on the outside.
>Hating people above you.
>Sour grapes, or just a way to cope.

These are all signs of weak character. I don't think it's healthy to brush them off like you do, it leads to being a brat. Fight against your base impulses and kneejerk reactions and so on.

>I don't see how any of this could be construed as particularly poetic or meaningful.
All of it has a big focus on the self, and the inner world, rather than the external one. It's all part of building up your own reality.
>>
>>27048260
>Any attempt at explanation is lashing out at society or wallowing and further evidence of 'romanticizing'.

Yes. Anything but self-improvement is masturbatory imo. You don't have to agree, but it is my stance. And yes, it's probably not falsifiable and I don't argue the point well. Not a masterdebater by a long shot.
>>
>>27041796
>hahaha shy people are actually assholes in hiding
thats a nice just world fallacy and halo effect bias the artist has going there. I fucking hate people like this.
Thread replies: 141
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.