[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm doing this again since the last thread went well. Ask
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6
File: 1456610649658.png (2 MB, 1081x1080) Image search: [Google]
1456610649658.png
2 MB, 1081x1080
I'm doing this again since the last thread went well. Ask a university student anything.
FAQ:
senior year
mathematics major
20s
male
>>
why are you watching two and a half men
>>
Have you ever thought about killing yourself? I'm being serious here.
>>
Do you already feel the superior problem solving skill math majors brag about?
>>
>>27028205
having wine with pizza doesnt make you refined you faggot
>>
>>27028225
Oh, I'm not. I saved the pic before. I think it demonstrates that I'm having a pretty comfy evening. I like the picture because it really says a lot about how sad this place is, lol.

>>27028226
I probably have at one time or another, but not seriously. I think everyone does at some point or another after some shit happens.

>>27028245
I'd say I have superior problem solving skills to the average person, yeah. A little more talented, perhaps, but more importantly, my problem solving skills have been trained a lot since it's my job to have good problem solving skills.
Luck helps too. Can never underestimate luck.
>>
>>27028321
The pic was saved from here. I posted it because it really speaks about how sad and pathetic this place is.
>>
>>27028321
It makes you a supreme gentleman though
>>
File: 1456611472452.png (2 MB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
1456611472452.png
2 MB, 1280x960
>>27028902
Read the thread. All the informtion I posted about these pics is in there. Here's anothe rsad pic very relelvant to the thread and this place.
>>
>>27028331
Not even sure if you're a robot, but robots are suicidal because large parts of their lives have been entirely shit and nothing but. It's cool that you recognize the part luck plays though. Normalfags often have a hard time acknowledging it.
>>
>>27028958
The pizza in the OP looks better than the pizza in this post
>>
>>27028969
I have been here since before this place came a pathetic cesspool of self loathing. I remember this place as a better version of /b/ that was full of original content and great stories. Back many years ago.

Anyone who denies that luck plays a part in problem solving really isn't good at it, IMO. Infact, I'd rather be more lucky than anything when it comes to problem solving. A good idea, a great trick, or the right choice can solve a problem but also solve it very quickly...
>>
File: 1456614375445.png (2 MB, 695x923) Image search: [Google]
1456614375445.png
2 MB, 695x923
>>27029000
Yeah? I have lots of pizza if you want to see some more. Also I am very surprised that your post was an original post.
>>
>>27028245
They do have superior problem solving skills, fucker. You do a lot of that in math, fucker.
>>
>>27028958
Why on the bed? Get off the bed, please
>>
>>27029045
Is the top pizza Mazzios? I feel like it's Mazzios
>>
>>27029047
Generally, yeah. Our whole... well, the whole point of doing math is to be a good problem solver.
>>
What are you doing after school? have a math degree also, been at a min wage job for the past 10 months.
>>
File: 1456612922896.png (653 KB, 589x593) Image search: [Google]
1456612922896.png
653 KB, 589x593
>>27029073
Are you guys serious? I am not taking these pictures. They are not of me. These are pictures I have saved from here previously.
>>
>>27029084
Graduate school. Where do you work? Where did you get your degree? How good a mathematician would you say you are? Tell me a bit about yourself.
>>
File: 1437184399044.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
1437184399044.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1440
>>27028205
>tfw been in uni for 5 years
>tfw applied maths major
>tfw taking 2nd/3rd year courses
>tfw OP is a robot as well and is on track and intelligent
>tfw ADHD, MDD, OCD
>tfw certified retard
>tfw did very well in HS
>tfw interested in history
>tfw virgin
>tfw ex-gf kissed me so robots don't consider me a robot
>tfw borderline alcoholic

OP, have you gotten lab assistant positions? I'm trying to get some work experience but apart from financial-type internships I can't find anything to apply to, apart from scholarships/grants. Any academic advice?
>>
>>27029125
I'm not a robot. I'm not socially awkward, I have a girlfriend, I've had sex with more than 3 girls, etc.
I'd say I'm pretty normal.

I didn't get anything throughout most of uni either. It was around junior and senior year I just said fuck it, I'm gonna talk to profs. A lot of them are way more accomodating and willing to help you than you think. This year, I got a research grant for the summer just by going to an office hour and asking if the prof was interested in taking me on. Simple as that.
I'm also doing an undergrad thesis which, again, I got by talking to a prof at the beginning of the year and sending out some e-mails and seeing which people bit.
Just ask. They'll find something for you.
A prof said he has taken second year students before.

So yes, my advice: Just ask them. What can I do? How does research work? How do I get my hands dirty? etc.

If you really do legitimiately have all those conditions, which I doubt, see a doctor and get some medication.
>>
>>27028331
>but not seriously.

epic, how about you fuck off back to /soc/ then.
>>
>>27029219
Hmm, nah. I'll do whatever I want, thanks. Those narcissistic twinks can do what they want over there.
>>
>mathematics major

have you been tested for assburger syndrome yet
>>
>>27029282
No need because I'm normal. Never been the aspie type ever.
>>
Why are you here or stayed here despite being normal and witnessing the decline of r9k
>>
>>27028958
fuck you, this is my pic and that was one of my better nights.
>>
>>27029317

your a mathematics major, you've passed the autism test already lmfao. go get your diagnosis
>>
Anybody studying pure math here?
>>
>>27029323
Because I'm studying and doing this while studying is fun.

>>27029352
Good for you.

>>27029370
The projecting lol.

>>27029400
Me. Not in graduate school yet, though. What do you study?
>>
>>27029191
Thanks. I have medications, I just feel like disclosing the aberrations to people when I'm being qualified for a position in which my MO plays an influential role in terms of group success or failure.

Profs have been very accommodating, in my experience. My concerns deal more with the delay in graduation/being-on-track than they have to do with worrying about 1:1 meetings. It's rough thinking not only about being an aspie, but also about how everyone else will treat an aspie, and also about how everyone else should treat an aspie. Philosophy goes hand-in-hand with maths.
>>
>>27029124
washing dishes. decided last minute that i didn't want to go to school desu, and have done any internships other than research so it's been hard trying to find a job.
>>
>>27030325
That doesn't sound like philosophy. That sounds like neurosis. Don't worry so much.
>>
>>27030435
What school did you go to?
>>
>>27029777
Pure math and physics double major. I'm an undergrad
>>
>>27030565
Okay, well which university are you enrolled in?
>>
>>27030438
It's philosophy. Ethics of interpersonal interactions. Profs are people too.
>>
>>27030757
Normal people don't bother with that. Just talk. Don't be an aspie. Rationalize all you want. You're neurotic. But you don't have to be.
>>
>>27028205
Are you going for an Applied or Theoretical career?
>>
>>27030956
If I'm neurotic, it should be incredibly difficult to evaluate my own neuroses, right? You might be right.

Considering the neurotic premise, my version of "just talk"ing is different from your own. Do you think you could try speak outside of the normie area in terms of an aspie? I'm just looking for some advice that would suit me personally.

My physics director didn't really like me, I was too annoying. I don't want to be annoying, but I really can't help it. Things that are interesting/conversation-pluses to me aren't the same to others. I can't pick up the queues, and I'm doomed because of it.
>>
>>27028205
How do you get over procrastination?
>>
>>27028205
What school do you go to?
How good are you at math?
What are your favorite areas of math?
>>
File: 1392427375210.jpg (49 KB, 300x345) Image search: [Google]
1392427375210.jpg
49 KB, 300x345
>>27028205
>wine

what a girly faggot
>>
>>27028205
Hey, OP, second year in Mathematics here. Failing, bacause I always skip classes and never study. How did you make till here?

I wish I didnt want to constantly kill myself and go to classes. I actually like maths and it makes me sad that I'm failing. ;_;
>>
>>27031099
I don't know, but I don't really think there's much difference. I just want to be a professor. So far, I like topology, geometry, and analysis the most.

>>27031107
Paranoid neurotic.

>>27031146
Study drugs. Being motivated to learn. Wanting to study what you study. I'd say 99% is motivation. You procrastinate because you don't wanna learn the material because you don't care. It is hard to trick yourself into caring unelss you were raised from birth to think that caring for stuff was the way to live. So it'll take months to reprogram yourself... if you care to do it, that is. But you could do it.

>>27031170
U of T in Toronto.
I'd say I'm decent compared to my graduating class.
Geometry, topology, and analysis.

>>27031283
I went to class and studied.

Well, I dunno, I was smart enough to really just coast and cram when I needed to.
It's gotten harder to do that now that I'm a senior, but I'm still basically smart enough to get by despite being a terrible student. More than get by, actually... I have an A average.
If you like maths but don't want to go to class, just read it at home on your own time. YOu could probably learn more stuff more quickly that way.
>>
Where (approximately) do you go to school?
How smart are the other students around you?
Can we get pizza together sometime?
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.