[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you have any weird hobbies, /r9k/? Weeb shit doesn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 9
Do you have any weird hobbies, /r9k/? Weeb shit doesn't count.

I like to pick locks. I made this key chain set out of paper clips, and I can open most small padlocks with them.
>>
That is pretty autistic anon
>>
>>27011556
Probably. Doesn't change the fact that picking open a lock is incredibly satisfying.
>>
>>27011556
>thread for weird hobbies
>calls others autistic
>>
Does rock collecting count? I have about 200 types of rocks in my collection as of now..
>>
>>27011679
Yeah, that counts. What's your most rare rock?
>>
>>27011704
A sliver from a pallasite. Only 50 grams, though. Anything above that costs too much for my blood.
>>
>>27011532
>I like to pick locks

That is pretty cool desu, even if you don't put it to actual use. It needs skill and patience.
>>
Me and my friends did this all the time in high school. We would go to Steak 'n Shake and try to open every padlock we could get our hands on. Eventually we got so into it my one friend bought a diamond-tip lock picking set and we went around unlocking shit all over town.

Good times. Thanks for bringing back memories, OP.
>>
I have said this in many hobby threads, but everyone ignores

I play the oboe, and have for over 25 years
>>
>>27011967
That's cool anon. I assume after 25 years you are good with it? Or at least very experienced
>>
>>27011967
The pink oboe?
>>
>>27012006
I am not very good.

I have almost no sense of rhythm

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1jStKQR9WML
this is from the piece Variations on a Korean Folk Song by John Barnes Chance

>>27012057
nope, brown/black made from grenadilla wood
>>
>>27012091
How does it feel to know you've wasted the last 25+ years of your life?
>>
>>27012137
At least the guy enjoyed his time doing it. I'm sure he must feel better than you, a guy who randomly feels the need to insult people for no reason other than being a desperate loser. Your life must be a bomb, champ
>>
>>27012186
>randomly
>no reason
I take it you didn't listen to what he posted.
>>
I bought a pick set and some practice locks but the picks barely fit into the locks from the bottom of the key way to the top there wasn't much room. Then I gave up because I didn't know how to practice with picks that may or may not be the wrong size
>>
File: 1456496060850.gif (2 MB, 354x287) Image search: [Google]
1456496060850.gif
2 MB, 354x287
>>27011532
>TFW love picking locks for hobby.
>TFW hate serrated pins and can't pick them.
>TFW spool pins are easy.
>TFW massive respect for Abloy Protec, the unpickable.
>>
>>27012203
Hey, you don't have to prove anything to me little buddy
>>
>>27011532
tfw want to learn how to lockpick but no clue where to start
>>
>>27012676
Yes where can I start, would be a nice skill to have
>>
>>27011532
Do you heat treat them lockpics somehow? Tips for us enthusiastic anons?
>>
>>27012676
Get yourself some suitcase locks and try to open them with shaped paper clips. Go watch Bosnian Bill on youtube for the theory and tips.

>>27012829
Yeah, after shaping the clips I heat them and quench them a couple of times. Makes them more rigid and gives them a nice finish. Harden the tip extra.
>>
Bump for the sake of hobbies.
>>
File: wasp and scarab.jpg (296 KB, 1176x928) Image search: [Google]
wasp and scarab.jpg
296 KB, 1176x928
I make little bugs out of forks and spoons
>>
>>27014426
This is awesome good job anon
>>
>>27011930
a lot of locks/doors you can just bump key open which takes about 2 minutes to learn. only hard thing is making the bump key
some padlocks you can open with a shim which isn't hard either, it's just like making the bump key where you need to know how to make it right.
>>
>>27014426
They look pretty cute, well done.
>>
>>27011532
I like to massage my penis until it shoots out smelly white goo
>>
>>27014426
I remember your thread on how to do that. You're a pretty awesome guy. I one time made a cool scorpion out of paper forks and knives but I lost it.
>>
>>27014426
How did you get into making them?

That is a such a great hobby. I don't know why but I just really like that someone is doing stuff like this. Such an obscure but awesome skill.
>>
>>27014426
I remember you

comfiest threads ever
>>
There was this one period in my life where I was really into drawing maps. It took some time before they looked even vaguely good, though. Drawing maps of the real world, of fantasy worlds from books/games or worlds I had dreamed up in my head. Pretty autistic and I stopped a while ago. But it was kinda fun.
>>
>>27015034
Do you have any photos of them? Sounds really cool. I've always wanted to be able to draw maps like the ones you find on the first pages of fantasy boks with great worldbuilding.

Also, why is it that anything weird equals autistic? Have it just become a slang for nerdy eccentricity?
>>
>>27015034
I used to do that too. Draw maps of mostly fantasy worlds and of worlds that I created.
I used to use the "randomise" section on tropico for inspiration.

I was never any good though, have too little artistic ability.

Now I make swords and shields and spears ect out of wood. My nephew loves all that knight and historical warrior stuff, and I love ancient military history so he makes me tell him stories all the time. Went out and bought him the plastic ones but he is too strong and breaks them within minutes of getting them.

So I make him swords and spears and stuff and show him how to use them and he loves it.
>>
File: 1456255879667.jpg (8 KB, 255x153) Image search: [Google]
1456255879667.jpg
8 KB, 255x153
>>27011532
Here is my autistic "hobby"

> be 7
> bored at recess
> invent "whos" and "lice" as microscopic creatures at war
> imagine twigs as battlecruisers, trees and rocks as massive cities
> imagine school as massive louse fortress
> whos are basically humans, lice are basically grey-skinned clones
> characters, Peter and Emily Green
> in 5th grade, whos finally blow up louse fortress, and flee to my middle school
> same thing
> peter and emily have children, orion and cassiopeia
> after middle school, peter and emily die escaping the superfortress in a giant air battle
> whos wander to a giant tree-city outside my house
> orion takes it from the corrupt leaders and prepares it for war
> imagine snowfall as invasion of thousands of louse ships
> vacations become quests by the whos to discover ancient secrets
> lots of characters live and die, story stretches over 40 years
> i am 21 now, and I still imagine this story sometimes, when I go for walks late at night
> about a year ago I was walking through a college I was volunteering at, and imagined a battle I'd been building up to for months
> started writing story
> 300,000 words after a year of writing
> huge outline and blog
> way more detail than I can express in one post, like there is a 30 page outline of this and a 531 page novel in huge fragments as I try to link the different parts of the story together from over 13 years of my life
> one of the only things i have left from my childhood.
>>
I've been playing stepmania for about ten years, although I only have just started to be able to play more difficult charts. I suck pretty bad. Its funny because I studied music, and get more excited when I clear a new song than when I learn how to play a new piece. Its pretty autistic desu.
>>
This is pretty autism but.

>Take big data class
>Learn how to scrape data from apis
>My dad was a pretty big tech nerd in the 90s, but hasn't touched them in a while.
>He has a ton of old hardware sitting around
>Spend about 300 dollars on big hard drives
>Set them up to just collect data

I have one for instagram, twitter, twitch chats and a few other things.
>>
>>27012091
the idea that somebody wasted 25 years to be a shitty oboe player made me laugh
thank u anon
>>
>>27011532
I used to make figurines out of paperclips they're usually 3 - 5 inches tall and have movable limbs this was back when I was 10 yrs old I think. I used my thumbs and didn't know pliers existed so I had bruised and thick hands.

I also used to make houses and toys using cardboard when I was 12.

I never knew I was this autistic till I started typing all this shit because I only did those things because I had no friends to play with.
>>
File: mittrei fems.jpg (167 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
mittrei fems.jpg
167 KB, 1024x768
I breed exotic moths
>>
>>27015793
i've seen this story before and i still love it.
godspeed, anon.
>>
>>27015920
What the fuck yo
>>
File: dubernardi paartje.jpg (168 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
dubernardi paartje.jpg
168 KB, 1024x768
>>27016138
Shit's pretty yo
>>
>>27015920
fucking what...
how? do you make any money selling them?
>>
>>27015920
That's really neat. Did you get started buying months or larvae?
>>
>>27015920
>>27016173

Awesome hobby. I want to be your friend
>>
>>27011731
It's a mineral
>>
File: actias luna.jpg (264 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
actias luna.jpg
264 KB, 1024x768
>>27016180
I could make money from it if I wanted to
However I buy more than I breed so it's a money sink basically. I also do amateur level research on them.

It's not that weird, many people keep bugs as pets, stick insects and mantids are quite populair. In Asia breeding beetles is a big thing too.
Spider hobby is big too.

Moths just appeal to me more but are a bit unusual
>>
>>27011532
>mfw actual locksmith here
>eh, those would probably work
>drills work too though
>kicking down a door or finding another entrance is easier 99% of the time
>look into pickguns
>don't get caught with that shit
>>
>>27016232
But you don't understand. I don't want to get in the easiest way. I want the challenge of picking the lock.

I picked OP pic with a toothpick. That was fun.
>>
Do you sell them or just enjoy making them?
I've gone to a few saturday markets in kooky parts of cities and I almost always see a booth selling stuff he made out of silverware. Those booths seem to get a decent amount of foot traffic too
>>
>>27015974

thank you

>>27015920

That's neat. I'd be terrified of them but they look really cool.
>>
>>27016227

Do you let them fly around?
>>
File: 10.jpg (154 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
10.jpg
154 KB, 900x900
>>27016227

I actually just considered raising some moths now that I have a ton of disposable income. Any tip for someone just starting out, senpai?
>>
>>27011731
that's blue or purple rarity?
>>
>>27011679
God damnit Marie they're minerals
>>
>>27011532
Thats actually really cool, where did you learn the basics?
>>
>>27016899
https://www.youtube.com/user/bosnianbill/

Then just apply ambition and inspiration.
>>
>>27011532
Dude nice, I was thinking of getting into picking. People say you can rake pretty much any lock, but I like to think the art is in how silent and swiftly you can do it.

>>27014426
I remember you, cool beans.
>>
File: arctia caja.jpg (448 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
arctia caja.jpg
448 KB, 1024x768
>>27016858
Nice Hyalophora cecropia.
1. Get in touch with the community. That's where you should get livestock from, not expensive commercial websites.
2. Check your local laws, keeping or importing exotic invertebrates is restricted to a certain degree in parts of the world (I live in the Netherlands which has extremely friendly laws regarding insect livestock)
3. Start with an easy to breed species, preferably native. Saturniidae (silkmoths) are often easy to culture, namely Actias luna, Antheraea polyphemus or Automeris io if you live in America. Other easy ones are Samia ricini, Antheraea pernyi, Bombyx mori or Acherontia atropos.
4. Be patient. Don't immediately buy the rarest and most beautiful species, though tempting, for it will often end in dissapointment, since a fair share of them require extensive knowledge and rearing skills to breed.
While some are very strong and hardy and pair easily, others will need a specific host plant an climate (I bred Actias dubernardi the Chinese moon moth; they come from a very high, 2000m+ habitat in the mountains. They live on pine trees and are very sensitive to temperatures, since the habitat is very cold and humid aswell, due to clouding in the mountain tops. )
>>
I enjoy restoring old metal tools, especially old straight razors. I find them a lot at flea markets. First, take off the old scales (handle), clean them up if I'm going to reuse them. Then, disinfect the blade with barbacide, then use scrubbing bubbles to remove any soap scum. Then comes the long part, sanding the blade with sand paper to remove rust and work out pits in the metal. Start with 400 grain, finish with 2000. Then, metal polish, and put the scales back on (or put on the new ones that I made out of wood and treated). Finally, sharpen the blade on a 4k/8k grit stone, and finish off by stropping it.
>>
>>27011532
just use two wrenches...
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.