[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
who /contactlenses/ here? I used to wear glasses since i was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 6
File: contacts.png (99 KB, 440x248) Image search: [Google]
contacts.png
99 KB, 440x248
who /contactlenses/ here?

I used to wear glasses since i was 12 and a few days ago i got the monthly ones.
This shit is pure magic too, normies start to take you more seriously and respect you unlike last time when i was completely ignored.

>tfw some of them introduced themselves and asked if i'm new
>>
File: 381823764818.jpg (26 KB, 441x441) Image search: [Google]
381823764818.jpg
26 KB, 441x441
bumperinno
>>
I've had contacts since I was 12, so 10 years now
>>
>>26988467
Contact lens are far superior to glasses:
>no magnification/minification
>no pincushion/barrel distortion
>no off-axis astigmatism
>no power error
>no chromatic aberration
>maximum possible field of view
>no dirt accumulation
>no reflection/lens flare

Contact lenses are not just a fashion thing, they are massively superior optically.

However, I recently ordered some astigmatism only glasses to try them over the top of spheric contact lenses. My astigmatism is mild so the distortion will be small, and spheric contact lenses are cheaper and more comfortable than toric contact lenses. This might be a good compromise.
>>
How does it feel putting them in??
>>
I really want some too, because my glasses broke several times and looks like shit on my face, because they're never straight. But there are two things I'm scared about:
>That something dislocates them and they do damage.
>That I can't get them out, because my eyes are very sensitive and close as soon as I move my finger too close. Plus I also drink myself to sleep several times and forget to put them off.
Also I heard from a girl that hasn't changed her contact lenses for a month and a parasite ate away both her eyes, like in a cheap horror movie.
>>
>>26990010
First time it was a pain in the ass, eye was top spooked of something going in my eye.
Now it's comfy and I don't feel it unless I sleep in them.

And yes like some anon said normies respect you more without glasses. Only girls with glasses get pretty princess points for wearing them.
>>
>>26990010
I've only tried soft silicone ones. Those are easy to put in once you've learned to control your blink reflex. You don't actually touch the eye with your finger, so there is no eye irritation. Taking them out is a little more difficult, because it's easier to accidentally touch the eye with your fingers while you're taking them out.

In use, I find spheric contact lenses very comfortable. If I'm focusing on something else I can forget I'm wearing them. But toric lenses are less comfortable, because they're bigger and thicker. They're tolerable, but you are always aware that you've got something in your eye and that's annoying.

>>26990024
>something dislocates them and they do damage
Most people use soft lenses. Hard lenses have theoretically better optical performance but I get better than 20/20 vision with soft lenses so I don't care, and hard lenses are probably less comfortable.
>>
I wear them. They aren't great in my eyes, not very comfy and my eyes get dry but better than glasses since I use sunglasses a lot and hate having to switch glasses.

I'd like to get corrective surgery at some point
>>
People think I'm high/crying all the time because my contacts make my eyes super red. I've had them pop out several times during the day. I should just switch to glasses but it does drastically change your appearance
>>
>>26990151
>contacts make my eyes super red
What are they made from? There are a lot of different contact lens materials, maybe you'd better tolerate some other one.
>>
>>26988467
I am
but they make my eyes tierd
>>
>>26990470
What material? Toric or spheric? Spheric in enfilcon A is the least tiring of the contact lenses I've tried.
>>
File: 1451531563027.jpg (2 MB, 3500x2894) Image search: [Google]
1451531563027.jpg
2 MB, 3500x2894
>>26989980>>26990067
>>26990091

I heard it hurts at first.

is it possible to order a few fake lenses to try them on, to see if I can bear them ?
>>
>>26990470
How long have you been wearing them? Usually opticians restrict you to a certain number of hours when starting out for you to get used to them, then you progressively wear them for longer
>>
>>26990519
>I heard it hurts at first
It shouldn't ever hurt. If it hurts there's something wrong. At worst it is uncomfortable like wearing formal clothes.
>>
>>26990519
>no mention of the brave poo poo pee pee attempt to save pepe from the normalfags
>>
>>26990559
do I need to see an ophthalmologist to get lenses, or can an optician tell me what I need.

Also, what is the cost of switching to lenses ?
>>
>>26990625
In the UK, go to Specsavers and ask about the free trial. I don't know about other countries.
>>
>>26990218
I wear Bausch and Lomb Ultra contacts that last a month, I tried two different types before these, daily and weekly wear ones, and they were even worse. These are actually the best so far but I still have issues with them, I think this is as good as it's going to get
>>
>>26990024
Applying and removing contacts is a skill that you'll learn pretty quickly. Everyone has difficulty putting them in and removing them at first, you just have to practice, eventually it'll be second nature and you put them in and remove them in a second. And you don't really have to worry about "losing" them or having them get stuck in your eyes. Just apply eye drops, shut your eye lid, and gently massage your closed lids, and it'll pop up easily. Also, don't be an idiot and leave your contacts in and you won't have the horror movie problem. Falling asleep with them in isn't going to kill you, everyone's done it, you don't have to be terrified of it, just make sure you don't leave them in for any longer than a day or two, that's when you could have problems.

For anyone on the fence about contacts, holy shit get them. They're fucking magical and the best thing I ever did. Ten added seconds of my day putting them on and taking them out and I now have the ability to see crystal clear without annoyingly apparent eye glasses on my face that get smudged and slide around and shit.
>>
I fucking hate glasses and really want to switch to contacts.

Can someone redpill me on them? I literally don't know what they entail. Do you have to take them out every night? Do you replace them after one use? Don't they feel weird?
>>
>>26988467
>tfw wearing contacts since i was 13

Yeah its great. Except you cant just fall asleep while watching tv, you cant just relax and maybe fall asleep because fucking contacts, always have to be on guard to take them out before you fall asleep.

Cant see shit when you wake up, and if you had little sleep your eyes wont fucking accept the contacts (red as fuck eyes, crying all over the place).

Cant go under water, and open your eyes.

Other than that and the ever-present scraping sensation its godsend.
>>
>>26990852
Contacts are
>Much optically superior (see >>26989980)
>More expensive than glasses over time.
>More dangerous than glasses. Even if you use them perfectly there is still slightly increased risk of eye infection.
>Not suitable for use in water. You shouldn't even get rain water on them.
>Vulnerable to getting dirt/insects in them. If you do sports or similar where that's a risk you should wear goggles over them.
>Available in hard and soft types. Soft is by far the most popular.
>Available in disposable and reusable types. Reusable is cheaper but more hassle because you have to clean them.
>Available in spheric (no astigmatism correction, unless it's a hard lens in which case it corrects corneal but not lenticular astigmatism) and toric (with astigmatism correction) types. Spheric is cheaper and more comfortable. You can wear glasses over the top to correct the astigmatism, which a few people find preferable.
>Available in overnight and non-overnight use versions. Non-overnight is safer and more popular.

If they feel weird or not depends on the type of lens and how sensitive your eyes are. Generally the smaller and softer (check the "modulus" value) the lens the more comfortable it is.
>>
I can't do lenses anymore. They bothered my eyes way too much and are too expensive to keep trying new brands. I've given up on ever looking good.
>>
-4.25 dioptres here

I love contacts
>>
I started wearing glasses years after I was supposed to. Maybe I should have started sooner since I can barely see 2 feet in front of me now. Still, I'd rather not wear contacts, but I can't wait until I can replace my eyes with cybernetic ones or something.
>>
>>26991123
>I can barely see 2 feet in front of me now
The stronger correction you need, the bigger the improvement with contact lenses.
>>
>>26990971
>If you do sports or similar where that's a risk you should wear goggles over them.

Complete and utter bullshit. I play semi-pro sports and nobody wears goggles.
>>
Friendly reminder

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2687477/Student-goes-blind-keeping-contact-lenses-six-months-microscopic-bug-EATS-eyeballs.html

>>26991382
Getting in the water, especially pools with them on is a huge unnecessary risk
>>
>>26991439
I leave my contacts in for months at a time and nothing bad ever happens. As long as you don't go swimming in them, you'll be fine.
>>
>>26988467
>having shit eyes in the first place
Lmao
>>
>>26991123
Same here. Fucking stupid fourth grader me. If I would've had on glasses back then I wouldn't be blind as a mole now.
>>
>>26991538
It's not about eyes, it's about upbringing
spend most of your early years indoors reading or some shit and you get bad eyeseight
>>
File: image.jpg (70 KB, 634x423) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
70 KB, 634x423
>>26991439
Holy fuckini
>>
>>26988467
I tried them for a month, was nice going glassless for a while.

Kept trying to adjust them thinking I still had frames, funny.

Problem was I somehow managed to get a corneal ulcer infection and if I had put off treatment I might have ended up with impaired vision in one eye.

That scare put me off for good.
>>
I had no problem putting contact lenses in but I had a tough time removing them, I remember my experience well so I will tell you what happened. The cute contact lenses lady at the opticians told me to go for a walk and test them out, so I did that went out and returned 10 mins later and spilled all my spaghetti trying to take them out, she had to do it for me, I was so embarrassed, my eyes were all watery and felt uncomfortable.
I stick to glasses thanks.
>>
>>26991879
The cute contact lenses lady touched your eye, that's more than I'm ever going to get.
>>
>>26991618
You think I wasn't inside all day playing my fuckign video games?
Fucking lmao
>>
>>26991618
that's pretty much me, spent my childhood years reading encyclopaedias and books about the world, playing with my toys and watching TV.
>>
>>26990920
Who the fuck told you this shit? I've had the current pair in my eyes for a couple months now. There are several kinds of lenses you leave in at night
>>
>went to the optometrist last week
>told I can't wear contacts because my eyesight is too shit or something like that I was half asleep I can barely remember what they said
;_;
>>
I have contacts and glasses.
Contacts are nicer during the daytime and they're much clearer because they don't get dirty like lenses do.

I'd wear contacts more often if it wasn't for looking kind of ugly with them on. People always make comments about me looking "different" or "annoyed" when I use them, and my prescription is really strong so glasses warp the appearance of my face a little bit.
>>
>>26992130
Sounds unlikely. Contacts are available at at least -20D to +20D, probably more.
>>
>>26990971
why is it dangerous to keep them overnight ?
>>
>>26992652
They dry out on top of your eyes, usually when you wear contacts (depending on brand/type) you're supposed to rerinse/moisturize them after 6 hours or so. Contacts that dry out get really hard and shrivel so it'd probably hurt a lot if it happens on your eyes.
>>
>>26992652
Some of them don't let enough oxygen through when your eyes are closed. If it's approved for overnight use it will have high oxygen permeability.

But even if oxygen is no problem, the longer you leave it in the higher the risk of infection. Also >>26992693
>>
File: 1455847768666.jpg (10 KB, 236x188) Image search: [Google]
1455847768666.jpg
10 KB, 236x188
>>26991439

Holy shit, so never wearing contacts
>>
>>26992772
Or you could just not be an idiot who leaves them in nearly 200 times longer than you're supposed to.
>>
>>26988467
I wish I had the face for it but I look uglier with glasses thanks to a big nose and small mouth. Contacts aren't as comfortable as glasses. And most of the girls I find cute look good in glasses.
>>
>>26992788

>expecting anyone on /r9k/ not to do that
>>
>>26988467
I had them. But I think I look more serious and professional in glasses, than without them, since I am no longer 20 years old.
>>
I love them but my eyes are kinda broken and glasses are the best bet although not perfect either
>>
have both glasses and contacts, vision is 20/500 so I am pretty blind, contacts are great outside, driving, photography, but I have to switch to glasses if I am watching movies or using the computer for a while, contacts just can't get that last little bit crystal clear, like glasses can, contacts make me forget that I am blind, glasses remind me all the time, contact lets you wear any kind of sunglasses, astronomy is my main hobby and contacts just don't cut it, glad my vision plan lets me get both, looked at getting laser surgery, Dr looked at my prescription and said they couldn't help, she was even wearing glasses
>>
>>26993720
Different contact lenses have different clarity. I've tried 3 different ones, and the lotrafilcon B torics were sharpest (and also most uncomfortable). Maybe a different contact lens would work better. Supposedly hard contact lenses have the best optical quality.
>>
I just got an eye infection from my contacts. Took a break and now it is better. I never wore them over night but my eyes are dry and I wear them like 12-14 hours so maybe too much.

Contacts suck but I look like a bigger idiot with glasses
>>
>>26988467
I, I've dropped glasses after sing them for 2 years (from age 11 to age 13)

Never really had problems with them
>>
File: 1456777834255.png (334 KB, 515x446) Image search: [Google]
1456777834255.png
334 KB, 515x446
I have 20/20 vision but suffer from recurrent iritis so I guess you can't have everything
>>
Glasses are cheaper and I'm a loser so they fit
>>
Glasses are cheaper, provide some impact protection, and don't carry the risk of blindness.

Aside from infections, contacts can trap the vapors from gasoline, paint thinner, etc and damage your eyes.

Risking going blind to look pretty is stacy-tier priorities.
>>
>>26990519
>no mention of the Oregon shooter

A defining moment in Pepe's life.
>>
>>26988467
I did a free trial a few years ago. It got to the point where I could kinda tolerate the one in my left eye. My right eye, on the other hand, was a different story. My right eye is much weaker, and has astigmatism as well, meaning that the lens had to be thicker. And it was fucking unbearable. It drove me fucking insane. The optometrist even tried a lens without the astigmatism correction, but it was still uncomfortable as fuck (and without the astigmatism correction, the lenses were fucking useless).

Seriously, fuck contacts.
>>
>>26995645
>Risking going blind to look pretty
Not the only reason to wear contact lenses. See >>26989980. Risk of going blind is extremely low, improvement in vision over glasses is substantial.
>>
>>26995906
>fuck contacts because my eyes are literally shit-tier
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.