[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do we even exist? Are we being punished for something or
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6
File: 1457151500832.jpg (1 MB, 2310x1781) Image search: [Google]
1457151500832.jpg
1 MB, 2310x1781
Why do we even exist? Are we being punished for something or did we lose the cosmic lottery?
>>
You're being punished for your own inaction.
>>
none of the reasons you're looking for
>>
earth is a cosmic penal colony. we're a galactic australia
>>
you never know, you never know...
>>
>>26975742
Why are you so sure that those who have things are happier than those who don't? Why are you so dogmatically sure that what you perceive as suffering is worse than what you think the being a "normie" has-it-all feels like on the inside?
>>
File: Lion-faced_deity.jpg (22 KB, 205x252) Image search: [Google]
Lion-faced_deity.jpg
22 KB, 205x252
We are trapped in a horrible world crafted by the demiurge.
>>
My guess is that this is just the way it has to be and life is a cosmic dance. I don't believe that people who are born disabled are somehow being punished for sins in a past life or something.
In chinese nature means ziran meaning that which happened by itself or the spontaneous
>>
>>26975891
Psychedelics don't have the answers. Don't believe the normie bullshit.
>>
>>26975742
Why do mountains exist? Why is grass green? Because things have developed this way.
>>
>>26975916
Everyone suffers. But it seems like they at least don't suffer alone
>>
>>26976009
Being alone has its benefits, and being surrounded by people has its disadvantages. The two are different flavors of suffering, but it doesn't matter really, suffering is suffering, it doesn't matter the cause.
>>
>>26976054
So suicide really is the best option then
>>
LOL bro unless you're

>Crippled
>Have an incurable disease
>Are homeless
>Live in a 3rd world country
>Are mentally handicapped (Being awkward doesn't mean you have Autism btw)

Then your life really isn't that bad. People born even a couple hundred years before us had it a lot worse. Just get a job and save or if you're not living in poverty go get a STEM degree or any other degree that will guarantee you a job.

If you can't get sex pay for a hooker or start lifting until you're more attractive. Any who spends all day online in their house is gonna hate life
>>
Suffering is a default consequence of being alive. If you weren't born, happiness and suffering would be invalid propositions, like asking what's the height of water. Wisdom lies in accepting the inevitability of an experiential spectrum.
>>
It's a test, at the resurrection, you will be resurrected onto a new Earth where there is no pain or suffering. But first you must accept Jesus Christ and be right in God's sight.
>>
>>26976175
I have autism and soon to be homeless.
>>
I know this probably isn't the thread for it, but I've been doing a lot of armchair philosophy (that has probably already been resolved by people ten times smarter than me) about the nature of existence in general. It started on a typical day, when I was going through the motions of my daily suicidal thoughts. Lately I feel like I've been getting closer and closer to actually doing it, and I can't stop fantasizing about it. A couple days ago, I started thinking about the idea of not existing. Isn't it pretty strange to be a being in existence and think about the idea of non-existence? It's something that I don't think we can ever really fathom. I'll think something like, "man, if I kill myself, I won't be around to realize how bad things are and how sad people will be when they mourn for me anyway", but every time I think about that "not being around", I just get in this really weird head space where it feels like my brain is doing loops around itself to try and understand itself.

I know the question of existence is one of the oldest questions in philosophy, and I know I'm not some deep thinker for pondering it because literally everybody does, but the whole idea of having sensory input and being able to critically and rationally have ideas about the future makes me really fucking uneasy because I can't imagine not being able to do it.
>>
File: brook.jpg (152 KB, 1270x750) Image search: [Google]
brook.jpg
152 KB, 1270x750
>>26975742
There's no consensus ontology so I suppose you're asking for individual subjectivity, which in this case is better came to a conclusion with your own. Selecting beliefs out of convenience is a superficial, consumer-level mode of living, & bad faith.
Ultimately to experience a reality. Striving to achieve eudaimonia in hopes of coming to terms with the way that the world is, and which we owe the notion of the final end. Ask why you do the things that you do and it will always appoint to eudaimonia.
>Are we being punished for something
Probably not. I presume you live in a 1st-world country.
Humans covet to meet expectations while being trapped in reality. Imagine a simple, carefree life as a dog. Their parameters for contentment include being properly fed & quenched, because they're not burdened by the desire for achieving the irrational expectations imposed on them by society. Imagine if everyone was humbled and capable of accepting things the way that they are, instead of rejecting reality to cling to often false hopes & interpretations of the way that things should be. It can be done.
We can't exist solely to suffer, there has to be some contrast to your suffering.
>>26976608
>It's something that I don't think we can ever really fathom.
It's not as if we've any recollection of not existing of course.
Read Aristotle's Metaphysics, you would probably be interested.
>>
>>26977200
>It's not as if we've any recollection of not existing of course.
The fact that in all likelihood we'll all eventually be plunged this thing that no one will ever be able to describe and that we will never really be able to know...I don't want to say that it makes me question the very meaning of existence because I don't believe in a particular meaning of existence but it does make me wonder why, as someone who all too often romanticizes death, I'm so hesitant about dying. Staring nothingness in the face and knowing that only nothingness will follow from it shouldn't be so frightening for me, but it is.That is to say, it's not the idea of dying or even knowing that I will die that really bothers me, it's the idea of "living" that does.
>Read Aristotle's Metaphysics, you would probably be interested
I've read bits and pieces of it (on a cursory PHIL 1001 level, but still) and it's a bit too difficult for me to really get anything out of. Greek philosophy as a whole seems to be so technical (which is fitting given their love of mathematics I guess) that I would need to put in a lot of time to seriously understand it, and with school fucking my ass right now I need to focus more on my grades. And yet I'm still here...
>>
>>26976175
>had it a lot worse
that doesn't mean they felt any worse
>>
>>26977423
>I'm so hesitant about dying.
That can be attributed to instincts and the human will to persist.
Death is an inevitable pulsation of existence, like life has been. It's a natural part of the grand scheme's process. 93% of the mass in our body is stardust, and energy is neither created or destroyed, so with death we're returning to whichever state we were in before sentience. I can understand how anyone could have anxiety over this due to life's provision of contrast to the concept.
To me, the concept of death seems liberating, if anything, but no matter how it's viewed, it can only be accepted as there's no changing the inevitable.
Humans' ability for reflecting within tenses tends to prolong our emotions whereas animals only suffer within the moment. While some may envy animals for not realizing their impending death, I believe this puts our time & the actions we decide to make into perspective, & in ways is a good thing.
>>
>>26978080
Yeah, I totally get what you;re saying here, and that's why in my previous post I said
>it's not the idea of dying or even knowing that I will die that really bothers me, it's the idea of "living" that does.
I understand that death is the natural conclusion and that eventually we will return to what we once were (the stardust, or whatever form our matter ends up taking) but it's the inbetween that bothers me. It's the level of sentience that the human species has gotten to. I constantly feel like I know too much, like I'm too aware of my surroundings. Obviously, evolution "gave" us this awareness so that we had a better chance of surviving, but at times it feels like it's too overwhelming for me.

Anyway, I'd like to at least take a moment to thank you for actually having a discussion. /r9k/ used to be a place I could come to for people that just wanted to have discussions, but as of late it seems like everyone just wants to meme and get angry at each other and call anyone who has some semblance of happiness in their life a "normie" in an attempt to discredit them.
>>
File: Death.jpg (8 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
Death.jpg
8 KB, 480x360
>>26978236
I agree that consciousness can be unpleasant, but I think it's better to experience awareness of the truth, no matter how distressing it may be. To be capable of coming to terms with reality, you must first know things as they really are. Awareness of the concepts underlying the way things are sensed is crucial for capitalising on them.
>I understand that death is the natural conclusion and that eventually we will return to what we once were (the stardust, or whatever form our matter ends up taking) but it's the inbetween that bothers me.
Awareness of the unity and mutual interrelation of all things and events is vital to acceptance. There's not really an in-between. Relevant listen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af85afJIeBo
but I understand that's not the point you were trying to make. It's somewhat difficult to appreciate the moment when you realise it's temporary and will inevitably come to an end (yet at the same time it may encourage you to try to appreciate it while it lasts), since the realisation often obstructs the potentiality for enjoying the moment (if this is what you meant by overwhelming), and most would rather not know. It's easier to focus on what seems the negative aspects, & while I believe they should not be filtered from thought entirely, it's toxic to focus on them solely. It's about perspective, which can always be reformed. But yes, I can't deny that when your mind is fixated on death it really does become a concept to behold.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>26975742
Somewhere, somehow, somewhen, Klarx'gug the Faeoglian is thinking the exact same thing.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.