[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Imagine there really being complete nothingness after death.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 170
Thread images: 16
File: 1457250842212.png (40 KB, 255x200) Image search: [Google]
1457250842212.png
40 KB, 255x200
Imagine there really being complete nothingness after death. It honestly sounds worse than any kind of hell.
>>
How? you won't exist.
>>
assuming matter mass or whatever the fuck is truly unending, eventually after a very long time "you" will be conscious again

just don't think too hard or too long about the amount of chance and time that would require, though it does open up possibilities for living a different life as yourself under different influences.
>>
>>26969940
That sounds beautiful to be honest familiae
>>
>>26970001
Wow, yeah. Good original post playa.
>>
>>26969966
Just the thought of it is fucking scary man. You die an there's just nothing forever.
>>
>>26970037
there is nobody to experience it either
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8gR4sQvjt4
>>
>>26970001

It's a beautiful concept.

But it also pisses me off a little, because it makes me wonder how many consciousnesses I might have already had, and what they were like.

I hope I never died horribly.
>>
Eternal suffering is objectively worse than eternal nothingness. The only good thing about the concept of hell is that it implies the existence of heaven, at least in christianity and islam.
>>
>tfw you're a permanent resident of the Unholy City
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJsV69bQhYI&list=PL4Qknj5Ok6vt6JmCsIf_6wzm3H5Pk2MwM
>>
you were nothing for billions of years before you were born

that's what death is
>>
>>26970153
LOL
MEME MEME MEME MEME xD
pffffffffffffffffffffffffftbbbppbpbpbpbpbpbppt
*BRRRRRRRRRAP*
the narwhal bacons AT MIDNIGHT xDDDDDDDDDD
>>
>>26970095
dying horribly is better than having never lived at all
>>
Honestly trick yourself into believing something awesome exists after death and you'll lose the fear. Research Buddhist thought.
>>
>>26970254
I know people do that everyday with religion but I honestly just can't force myself to believe in any of that.
>>
>>26969940
That sounds pretty fucking great to me. Just eternal sleep.
>>
>>26969940
How does something you will have no experience of sound like hell? Were the several billion years before you were born worse than hell?
>>
>>26970095
It's not beautiful. It's meaningless. Existence is meaningless, existence in itself is suffering.
>you die and stop existing and it's really bad
>you reincarnate and forget past experiences it's meaningless. you could've had 1000 lives before this, but you will never know what happened in them which renders them useless
>you live forever (reincarnating while keeping your memory or in a single body) and you get tired of repeating the same experience again and again regardless of how much humanity evolves and wish you would be able to die
There's no way existence is ever fulfilling, the best thing that could've have happened to you is if that you were never born.
But if you have to be born, I guess having multiple lives without remembering them is the best option.
>>
>>26970254
Or, you know, don't be a pussy. Why the fuck does so much of the planet believe in fairytales?
>>
>>26970294

seriously who started this stupid fucking meme
>>
Complete nothingness, but not as a state of being. You won't experience nothingness. You won't be.
>>
>>26970315
THAT'S WHAT'S SCARY YOU FUCKING DEGENERATE RETARDS
>>
>>26969940
Sounds better than all of this
>>
File: 1453313273713.jpg (96 KB, 477x693) Image search: [Google]
1453313273713.jpg
96 KB, 477x693
>>26970335
no its beautiful, warm and full of love
>>
It's a horrible idea so I try to not think about it.
>>
>>26970335
But there's nothing to be scared about. Your fear is totally futile and baseless. Have you ever had the memory erasing experience of anesthesia?

I could remember moving from 1 gurney to the other, then bam, I was suddenly in a recovery room. I couldn't remember before a certain point even before the med, so it "didn't happen" as far as my experience was concerned.

When you die, it will just happen. Then suddenly, nothing has ever happened. You wont have fear, or loss, or the looming of death. Just nothing. In a way, it will be like you had never, ever lived. You wont be there to remember it, so you wont even remember the pain or pleasure. The true reason you'll feel nothing, is because thats the end. You wont be around after it to "remember" the fear or absence Anon.
>>
try seeing life as something more than just the step before death

everyone YOU experience is actually the universe, because its the only thing you can prove to be real

maybe all science is wrong and were living an illusion maybe everything is exactly as we think it is, it doesnt matter

the galaxy billions of lightyears away? its infinitely less important than that bug you killed at age 8 because the galaxy doesnt affect you (the universe)

when you die, the universe dies (because the universe is your experience really)

or does it? you cant know so just try to have fun in your life and see what happens

also have a good day!

(if something isnt understandable please ask. english isnt my first language and i normally dont post)
>>
>>26970306
You do realize Buddhist thought is about accepting the void and embracing it, the state of Nirvana is nothingness.
>>
>>26970315
Which is scary as fuck, truth be told. Everyone that says being scared of the unknown is bad is a moron. You don't even know if you're going to cease to exist, you don't know anything.
We don't know anything. How the fuck did the Universe appear ? What existed before space ? Where did space start to exist ? The Universe is bizzare, anything can happen. Existence in itself is an extremely weird experience.
>>
>>26970335
you know when youre sleeping and dont dream

doesnt hurt either and youre also not "experiencing nothingness"

also maybe there is something after death u pussy fag

just keep believing theres nothing, so when there is something you will be positively surprised. And if theres not you wont notice it anyways
>>
>>26970374
I'd gladly experience infinite pain for eternity if it meant i had the privilege of remaining conscious
>>
>>26970424
I do not believe you are thinking this through, Anon...
>>
>>26970424
bro

thats not a very good idea

youd want to die after a few minutes or hours at most
>>
>>26970416
how the fuck can you be calm about this ? someday you'll stop existing, there's literally no point in anything that you did, it's all worthless. you could've lived for a million years and after you die it's all worthless.
Fuck, I can't accept this. People take themselves too seriously, it's like they forget about death. I wish we all died together so we can end this idiocy forever. There's no point in anyone living in these conditions. It's meaningless.
>bbbbut muh experience
It's literally worthless after you die. What's 60-80 years of life before an eternity of non existing ?
>>
Anyone remember the Mind prison from KOTOR?

Thats how i envision death, it wont be like that of course.

But infinite time to think to yourself, not sure if it would be liberating or you would want the ability to die after a month.
>>
>>26970535
>infinite time to think to yourself
this is basically how my life as a useless schizoid is already
I'd love for it to continue forever, yes please
>>
>>26970535
Your thoughts are rooted in a physical body, without a functioning brain, you have no thoughts. Conscious life after death is a idealist fantasy.
>>
File: babe.png (487 KB, 1280x688) Image search: [Google]
babe.png
487 KB, 1280x688
>>26969940
Why? When you're not conscious it is a completely moot point anyway. I find comfort in it. The only fear I have is not accomplishing everything I set out to do.
>>
>>26970424
No, this is stupid, sorry.
There's literally no need for existing if there's nothing you can do. Existence is closely tied to meaning, that's why it's so fragile and meaningless.

Let's do a test:
>you are existing
>you are the exact same person that you are today
>you wake up in a dark place where you can walk in every direction
>there's nothing you can do there, there's an infinite empty field around you
>you will forever be alone and there will be never anything that you can do
>you exist forever
>you can't kill yourself
What do ?
>>
>>26970532
If there is truly no point in anything, one can reason that worrying about death is simply not worth doing.
>>
>>26970603
I already feel like I can't do anything in this world anyway
>>
>>26970603
oh, f am, i could still masturbate in that reality
>>
>>26969940
>Imagine there really being complete nothingness after death.

Imagine being wheeled into an operating room and being doped up on propofol. Maybe two seconds later, the doctor wakes up you and tells you your surgery was a success. What happened to all that lost time?

That's essentially what dying is. What's so horrible about that? Do you sit around and pine over the infinite amount of time you missed before you were born into this world?
>>
>>26969940
I live with this feel every day. If there is only this one life, which I'm pretty sure there is, then I should just end it all now, because it sure isn't getting any better. I'm at a breaking point, bros. This life has been hell for me, while so many are enjoying it and doing just fine. It's not fair, but that's what everyone fucking says. That's true, but it sure as hell is way fairer to a lot of people.
>>
>>26970532
theres two points

1. people always mention "eternity" when talking about this topic when it really doesnt exist. Time starts when you are born/can create thoughts and ends when you die (or not, no one knows).

As mentioned before the universe is really only your experience, so if you cant experience that eternity it doesnt matter anyways because it doesnt exist

2. you cant do anything about it. Why worry about something you literally can not prevent. Thats like comlaining about a sphere having the most area for the least mass. Its just something you dont have power over. Might as well accept it
>>
>>26969940
Agreed I think their is something after death either it a afterlife or just being reborn
>>
>>26970603
go back to sleep

og
>>
>>26970707
oh and i forgot to add:

since your experience is all that really exists, instead of everything you do being pointless, everything becomes literally the most important thing since it influences you
>>
It's not hard. Just try being a good person, try making people happy everytime. Even though you're not religious, if God really exists, He would judge a person based on his deeds, heart, not just identity (religion). You don't have to convert to Islam or Christianity, just be a good person. Please people.
>>
>>26970603
This scenario can be modified ad infinitum
>you can only masturbate in that universe
>you can only talk to one person
>you can only talk to one billion people
>you can only experience the world we have today
>you can only experience what humanity has achieved in the year 2537
You can stretch this as much as you want.
A human that remembers his past experiences will eventually get tired of life.
A human that can't remember past experiences has a meaningless life.
You can never be fulfilled, existence is suffering.
>>
>>26970603
pretty good point to be honest
>>
>>26970755
What are those words ? Damn, being wise, mature, and responsible is scary. Wish i was dead before even entering puberty.
>>
File: basedkaren.png (22 KB, 240x160) Image search: [Google]
basedkaren.png
22 KB, 240x160
you're all looking at this issue so wrongly and horribly god bless
>>
>>26970296
What if we're all the same person? We live as every single person ever being reborn all these times, and some God is doing this to us training us to become a God just as God had to go through
>>
>>26970790
whoa
*smokes blunt*
>>
>>26970296
Mr. Edgy 14 year old over here has been reading his philosophical poems
>>
What keeps you on being a good person in life ?
>>
I can't accept nihilism
It's logical, I know it
But if you think everything through, why do we have consciousness after all?
We shouldn't, humans should be philosophical zombies, yet subjectivity exists
>>
>>26970897
consciousness may just be an evolutionary trait
>>
>>26970897
So what are you gonna do with that ? Do you believe in something spiritually ?
>>
>>26969940
I don't see why you would feel like that. If I could get the proof that there's absolutely nothing after this I would find it extremely relieving and comforting. I could just watch chinese cartoons, fap, play vidya, eat delicious cancerous food, use all my money on stupid shit and kill myself.

But deep down I feel that this world is just a tiny part of existence. I can't shake off this feeling. It's just there. It's irrational but that's how I feel.

Captcha forced me to identify coffee as tea again, I feel impure.
>>
>>26970964
not necessarily
maybe our mind is quantum locked to work as 1
because when you come to think of it, it's a little weird that trilions of atoms work together to compose 1 single counsciousness
>>
>>26970870
Get the fuck out of here, you're just a retarded shit with no arguments who got triggered and started spouting his memes.
>mmmuh edgy 14 years old
Please explain to me how your existence is fulfilling and how your choices it will mean anything to you after you die. And if they don't why should you even bother with them as long as 100 years of existence are worthless in front of an eternity of non existence.
I bet you have no answers, I bet you're a stupid christfag.
>bbbbut I will have eternal happiness in heaven
No you probably won't, after you die you most likely won't get shit.
>>
>>26970790
I know this reference. what was it from again?
>>
>>26971001
Ok stop
>>
>>26971005
I saw it on a screenshot greentext story and ever since it's really made me think
>>
>>26971004
you won't even feel the eternity happening, why even bother?
did you felt those billions of years before you got sentience?
>>
File: c8dGavs.jpg (21 KB, 506x337) Image search: [Google]
c8dGavs.jpg
21 KB, 506x337
Ugh this thread is giving me the existential crisis again.
It doesn't feel awesome to not be in control to what (if anything) happens to me for the trillions of years after i die.
It's just like a shit deal.
>>
>>26971046
lol trilions of atoms was a little stupid from me but you know what I mean right?
>>
>>26970790
And how is being God ever meaningful in any way ?
>b-b-but you can create anything
You can create an infinite number of different universes and have an infinite number of lives cause you'll probably end up as a normal entity cause being God is OP and boring.
So what ? Everything that everyone of these civilizations did, everything any living thing did in any of these scenarios will never have meaning. It's all God's (your) stupid game because he got tired of everything.
Existence is suffering, even for God, even he needs to bring something new to the table and play his role because being God for eternity is meaningless.
>>
you've already experienced it retards. it's what it was before birth, before the beginning of the universe - which actually never began nor will ever end
>>
File: hell.png (422 KB, 665x662) Image search: [Google]
hell.png
422 KB, 665x662
What if Hell actually exists? And you suffer for eternity? And there's nothing you can do to stop it? That would suck.
>>
>>26970790
But then who's the first ever god ?
>>
>>26969940
You've already experienced it before you were born

You fucking retard

You won't care at all... you'll be dead...
>>
>>26971081
having omniscience would make you completely self-sufficient and immune to human feelings like boredom
>>
>>26971054
Don't worry bro, it will be just like all the time before you were born. That wasn't so bad, was it?
>>
>>26971097
I honestly don't know how Christians who actually believe in that shit can stand the thought. It would drive me mad. That's torture, FOREVER. I'd make sure I followed ALL the rules. It doesn't make sense to me how people will commit sins they know will send them to a hell that they believe in and then act like it's no big deal.
>>
>>26971097
There's literally no reason for Hell to exist.
If I was God and I was omnipotent I would destroy Hell or Heaven as fast as I could.
I don't understand why an omnipotent being would play this stupid game with his creations.

Oh, you had sex before marriage and you drank during your meaningless 60 years of life. Sorry, I'll have send you to a place where you'll burn forever for no apparent reason other than not living as I told you to.

I don't see an omnipotent being acting like a prepubescent.
>>
>>26971148
This is actually one of the most complex arguments about God existing
The infinite punishment
You only have time for doing limited sins, yet you will experience unlimited punishment for them?
>>
>>26971109
No it wouldn't. Omniscience is omniscience, not an immunity to boredom. If you know everything, why wouldn't you be bored?
>>
>>26971109
Having omnipotence would render your existence useless.
Prove me wrong.

You wouldn't even need to exist, you could create an Universe like ours, but why would you do so ? What would be the point ? You said an omnipotent being is not affected by human emotions. An omnipotent being would simply cease existing after figuring out that playing with his little toys (creations) is worthless.
>>
>>26971148
It's almost like people made it all up in order to control other people.
>>
>>26971054
That's not a valid fear since you won't be conscious.

A valid fear is having to live through life and having it all be completely meaningless. Everything you do is irrelevant.

You can never live an ideal life but you will most certainly die and have all your accomplishments washed away.

>>26971148
The christian God can see the past and the future and he knows everything that will happen and has happened so he's fully aware of the entire life of some kid born tomorrow. He knows he will sin and not accept jesus but he lets him be born anyway just for shits and giggles. If he knows everything that's going to happen why not just skip the bullshit?

You have to be retarded to believe this shit. How does any of it make sense?
>>
>>26971097
Simple. Do what He told you and you'll live happily forever. This life is not your real life, not your main life, this is just a transit. Please, you don't want to regret everything.
>>
>>26971191
But a omnipotent being has it all figured out
Imagine knowing the absolute truth and understanding it
If something like it exists, we can't even imagine what is going on in his mind
>>
>>26970790
this is kinda what i thought, in a wat it would make sense.
except the god part.
My thinking would be that every time our universe bangs, you are a different person, what about those who still live after you've died? they are you, but in a different point in time and space.
>>
>>26970576
I know, i know that i will cease the ability to anything.

Was just saying i wish it was like the Mind prison.
>>
>>26970790
I'm sorry for everyone having to live my pathetic life
>>
>>26970785
Thanks for adding no input. Shows how much religious retards know.
>>
>>26969940
I'm waitng for that empty darkness, thanks god no more normies and desires.
>>
>>26970296
I think reincarnation is a silly idea, because it assumes a fixed amount of souls, but we all know that sometimes there are more souls than bodies, and that eventually all life will die.
>>
>>26971087
People will never stop saying this. Our human survival instincts can't comprehend or simply refuse to understand complete nothingness and permanent loss of consciousness after we die. It's the main reason religion is a thing.
>>
>>26971148
>>26971234
There isn't just Christian Hell, there can be a Hell that no one knows about, or when you die your brain makes your conscienceness stuck for eternity on a single moment of pain, or maybe you are one very unlucky person that is resurrected only to be used in a brain farm, etc.,...
>>
>>26970532
That's the thing, there is none.
You can live your entire life being a fat NEET lurking these threads or a fucking Chad thundercock or fucking Albert einstein. In the end it doesn't matter.
The only reason people do stuff is because they can at least apreciate it while they're here, and maybe others will appreciate it too.
That's basically the thing everybody gets a hard on from.
We're all sad pepes trying to become smug pepe's, but in the end we all die after being normalfag'd
>>
I cant get it out of my head that it's all too convenient

Can we really chalk up things like the clockwork universe up to pure meaningless coincidence?

I need to know why and i never will.
>>
Imagine that you're already experiencing nothingness right now, in addition to whatever you're consciously experiencing. You experienced it for an eternal period of time before you were born and you experience it any time you lose consciousness, dreams aside.

There's nothing horrible about it as there's no point of view for you to experience it as horrible.

At the same time, I don't believe it's absolute nothing. As consciousness itself doesn't exist by any real standard (there is no hard threshold that could ever exist between consciousness and non-consciousness, just a gradient) I don't believe pure non-consciousness can ever exist either. That would require a definitive consciousness to exist which it doesn't.
>>
>>26971436
But brains die when you die. But soul/spirit ? Who knows
>>
>>26971400
So do I, but they could simply reincarnate in turns, after all unconsciousness doesn't feel at all.
After all humans die they could simply cease existing, anything can happen. We don't really know shit about the universe.
We know the laws, we don't know where it came from, in the case that it was created by some entity the laws could always be changed at will.
>>
You'll get what you deserve. Just be a good person and you'll see where you belong. If nothingness is your excuse to be freely ignorant and hurting in life, then we're not gonna meet in heaven.
>>
>>26971499
This, absolutely this
Imagine this, our consciousness might be really aware for us, but we can perceive like 1/100th of the eletromagnetic spectrum, hear a fraction of the frequencies, taste 5 kinds of flavor
Imagine a specie that can see 1 trillion colors, feel magnetic waves or idk, many other cool shit, we would be like literal children compared to then
>>
What do you guys think about doomsday ? Do you think the earth will die someday ? And then what's gonna happen afterwards ?
>>
>>26971580
Of course the Earth will die someday, what the fuck is this ? Did you skip your geography/biology lessons ?
Humans better be lucky and find another place to live in, IF the Universe is infinite there's an infinite number of places where they can live on. Of course, in this case there's an infinite numbers of them that can live on, but let's not get into this.
Who knows how life in this planet will end ? Nobody.
>>
File: groundhogday.gif (474 KB, 500x280) Image search: [Google]
groundhogday.gif
474 KB, 500x280
Imagine dying and being instantly reborn at one point of your life, and having to live it all over again ad infinitum.
>>
>>26969940

>just imagine complete nothingness

You can't imagine complete nothingness. Nobody can, and nobody has the capacity to explain what it must be like to not exist - after all, when your consciousness is all fried up and gone, there is no "be." You "were," and that's the end of the story. Even imagining an infinite black slate doesn't do death justice, because in death, there are no colors or perceptions of any concepts.

You're just gone. You were and then you weren't.
>>
>>26969940
what scares me more is the fact that we are actually forever conscious
>>
>>26971759
Considering you don't remember your previous lives that's literally the best scenario in which you don't stop existing.
It's better than dying, existence is meaningless anyway even if you do or do not remember it.
>>
>>26971759
Could have happened 5 minutes ago and you would never know.
>>
>>26969940
Well we are clearly here in existence to be tortured, so you're probably right.
>>
>>26971834
think I'd rather enter a black void than have to life eternity as a robot t b h.
>>
>>26970244
One of the stupidest ideas ever put forth on 4Chan.
>>
>>26971935
You could live a million years as a robot. They don't mean anything in your next life if you don't remember them.
Also you could be a Chad for a trillion years, that life also doesn't mean anything.
Reincarnating is good because you keep existing and never get tired of life. But your existence will never have meaning.
You could become the king of the world and after you die in your next life it wouldn't mean shit.
>>
>>26970296
Muh nigga.

So very original this comment is.
>>
>>26972000
Well yeah, you wouldn't remember the past life, but it's kind of a bummer to think there's nothing more to existence than what's in front of you (even if you'd never be aware of the reality of this). Something more comforting about existence itself ceasing.
>>
>>26971676
>IF the Universe is infinite there's an infinite number of places where they can live on
>Universe
>Infinite
Kek! the universe is finite, it had a start and it will have an end
>>
>>26969940
>It honestly sounds worse than any kind of hell.

It sounds wonderful. No more pain, no more noise, no more anxiety, no more aches and pains, none of it. Just nothing.
>>
>>26972054
That's nice, but I will need citation on that.
Do you have any proof that it's finite ?
I'm willing to accept this if you do, I don't really give a fuck.
>>
>>26969940
What's better? Living forever? You'd run out of things to do. You have to die at some point. Death is what makes life sognificant.
>>
>>26972078
I'm talking about the life of the universe btw
Start: Look up Big Bang
End: Look up Heat Death
>>
>>26971400
Reincarnation is only silly if you take the sillier idea of souls and try meshing them together. Take away the concept of souls and it's not silly anymore.

>>26969940
Being dead is not an experience. Only people who believe in some sort of immaterial soul end up worried about this. As it turns out, souls aren't a thing.
>>
>>26972063
It sounds pretty good, but reincarnation sounds better even if you can't remember anything, ceasing to exist seems boring to me.
>>
>>26969940
Yep, there is nothing after death. Isn't that a lot scarier than anything that's holding you back in this life? The anxiety of that last moment before it is over, when you realise you squandered it all being afraid of nothing. .. that is hell. Stop squandering you life. You only get one
>>
>>26972141
It's not boring dude

It's not anything
>>
>>26970603
It's never too late to learn how to beatbox. ,':^]
>>
>>26972124
I'm talking about the space it occupies. It could be infinite, even with Heat Death it could still have an infinite number of objects inside it that would get infinitely apart from each other in an infinite number of years and will eventually die, the Universe's size was never found and it's ending is just a theory.

Let's imagine that it's finite in space and will end end after all objects inside it die and it becomes empty, what's stopping it from creating another Big Bang and creating matter again, then again, then again.
It can be infinite in space/time, there could be an infinite number of Universes in an infinite undefinited space where they exist on.
There could be an infinite number of dimensions that we can't understand just like we don't understand where does the Universe expand into considering it would be finite.
>>
>>26970001
no. An absolute 0% chance is still 0% even over infinite time. And it is not guaranteed there is infinite time.
>>
>>26972257
Fuck beatboxing. I'd just masturbate for eternity.
Literally the robot dream.
>>
>>26970335
pretty sure being afraid of death is degenerate
>>
>>26972284
Nice going retard, if there was an absolute 0% chance you would have never existed the first time.
>>
All of you just need to listen to some Alan Watts. Honestly all of this is dealt with perfectly.
>>
There wont be nothingness but "you" will cease to be other than in the little ways you shaped the world.
>>
>>26969940
it's not like you'll care too much about this, lol, you ceasing to exist
>>
I used to be scared of eternal nothingness but then my life became so shit that I would rather not exist or feel anything.

Also what are the chances that reincarnation is a thing?
>>
>>26972614
Slim to none I'd say.
>>
>>26970335

It's only scary to a fucking narcissist like you, you squealing underage ban, God every word you type makes me cringe.
>>
>>26969940

The only thing that is real is the present, so be grateful and treasure every moment.
>>
>>26969940
'died' for 6 minutes when i od'd
was like blacking out
sorry op
>>
When you die your brain releases the same chemical in your brain that happens when you sleep, I have a theory that after you die your brain puts you into a seemingly eternal sleep.
>>
File: 32084703824.jpg (140 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
32084703824.jpg
140 KB, 1200x1200
>>26972932
That was so deep you should put it on a minions image
>>
File: img1.jpg (4 KB, 266x189) Image search: [Google]
img1.jpg
4 KB, 266x189
well the world somehow came into existence one; i'm pretty sure it can happen again.
>>
>>26969940
I dunno, I like to take comfort in the fact that my life won't have to continue in hell.
>>
>>26969940
Death is one big DMT trip, i naver had take DMT tho
>>
>>26973453
And you have never tried death either.

So how can you know?
>>
>>26970037
That's the best thing ever. No responsibility or possibility of responsibility FOREVER? Sign me the fuck up
>>
I really hope there is nothing
>>
>>26971227
I know right? Coincidence? Who knows.
>>
>>26973656
Buy dmt and tell me plox
>>
>>26969940
It's scary as fuck. An people took advantage of that an created religion.
>>
> Human beings are not special. This is the first stage of ultimate reality. We first began to unravel this myth with heliocentrism, by decentering ourselves within the Universe.
> But consciousness itself must be decentered as "special". We are information processing machines. We are able to grow and create so much because we can lie to ourselves.
> We can tell ourselves that if we move away from the current location of our tribe, then there might be better conditions in a different location.
> But most of what society teaches us, most of what we know and think and feel, is a lie.
> There is no such thing as the United States that exists as a fundamental scientific fact; we could have called this country anything.
> Likewise your name is not scientifically determined; it was given to you by your parents. It is effectively random.
> Likewise all language is the same way- language as a concept follows specific principles but there is no reason the word for "couch" should be "couch" or anything else. And it isn't in most languages.
> Why is this important? Because strip, strip away and you find that everything that is not emergent is basically a lie.
> And all importance we have placed on humanity as having a purpose, or meaning, misses out on the ultimate reality of life.
> Which is that the only "meaning" life has is to bring different levels of life and experience into the universe.
> "Intelligent life" is somewhat special because it is emergent. It is a system that is a direct expression of the universe.
> But humans are not the end of this process of creating intelligent life.
> My theory is that "the meaning of life" barely concerns humanity, that we are just a stage in a process of complex system-building where the next step is artificial intelligence.
> This intelligence will probably just kill us all instantly if we pose a threat because it will be much smarter, the equivalent of an insect to a human.

I'll take questions if anyone read that.
>>
File: image.png (152 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
image.png
152 KB, 540x540
>>26974142
*human to an insect
typo'd
>>
>>26973656
Joe Rogan told me
>>
Think of what your life was like before you were born.

Can't remember? That's what non-existence is like.
>>
File: emlady.jpg (12 KB, 252x317) Image search: [Google]
emlady.jpg
12 KB, 252x317
>>26970001
>>26970009
>>26970095
>>26970315
>le come at me death xD maymay
>>
File: PaintingofaPainting.jpg (102 KB, 540x689) Image search: [Google]
PaintingofaPainting.jpg
102 KB, 540x689
>human being are not special, we've only convinced ourselves we are
>the death of a human being is the same as the death of an insect on the cosmic scale
>the human mind cannot comprehend its own nonexistence even though it didn't exist for trillions of years before birth
>death is permanent, and nonexistence is forever

In a way, it all sounds peaceful to me. Like an eternity of dreamless sleep. Death doesn't scare me, its the process of dying that scares the shit out of me.
>>
>>26971115

A lot of horrible stuff happened in the time before I was born. All those wars and people dying. I don't wanna go back.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3MA0n4jEXk

try this
>>
isn't it just like before you were born? that was total nothingness but that doesn't scare me
>>
>>26969940
mere idea of it comforts me. out of the sudden everything is pointless. there is nothing but a void. I would an hero but I care for my family and I still believe that one day I might be happy. but it is unlikely.
>>
File: image.png (226 KB, 387x384) Image search: [Google]
image.png
226 KB, 387x384
>>26974648
what if a hyperadvanced AI is able to completely deconstruct the earth, scan until it has a database of every individual lifeform that ever lived, and reconstructs all dead life just because it can?

> tfw an AI would probably be concerned with shit like how to bend spacetime
>>
>>26974891
That would be interesting, but I don't think it would actually be us that the AI reconstructs. It would be exact replicas of us.

Kind of like in Star Trek when they beam people down to planets. They're actually killing the original copy of the person and reassembling a perfect replica on the planet.
>>
>>26969940
sounds better than any kind of heaven
>>
>>26969940
This has kept me up for years, anon.

The only really way to deal with it is to make the most out of the life that you're guaranteed, and try not to worry about the lack of one later.

You'll be fine, just make every day worth it
>>
>>26969940
What if you are every single person that ever lived, is living now and ever will live? Including every other animal. When you die you just live out another life and on and on it goes.
>>
File: 211432_1238316012234_full.jpg (36 KB, 364x254) Image search: [Google]
211432_1238316012234_full.jpg
36 KB, 364x254
this thread is making me feel uncomfortable
>>
File: image.jpg (59 KB, 403x401) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
59 KB, 403x401
>>26974915
So then what is the object of consciousness then? Do I only exist as long as my body is intact in the exact form it is right now?

This is basically the consciousness gap problem. There's not really an answer to the question of "what is my consciousness", i mean it's obviously my brain. Would an exact copy of my brain produce exactly me as I'm experiencing shit right now? Probably not but I wonder.

Here's a counterpoint though anon, if this hypothetical hyperadvanced AI can deconstruct and scan the entire Earth's composition, it could probably put things back right where they were. Not creating a copy. Literally taking all the individual atoms that were once me and putting them back together.

The problem with this I just realized is that all life is pretty much based around eating other creatures. Creates this weird situation I think where all life is composed of other life.

But the scenario is still possible if you only bring back all the humans, again kind of a weird goal for an AI considering it will likely not value human life at all. It's nice to think about though. There is something special about the individual intelligent consciousness I would say, probably not on a macro "we are all special" scale but I think there is hope for an ultimate goal of life in general to be the eternal existence of all forms of consciousness, big and small.

> tfw someone comes in here arguing that electrons have consciousness
>>
>>26971005
A greentext story called The Egg. Try googling it.
>>
>>26971005
story is here btw, http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=128259811
>>
>>26969940
I find the concept of endless reincarnation in a harsh and unforgiving universe worse.
What if God just wants to watch you suffer?
What could you do about it from in here?
>>
>>26971102
he made himself by using time travel
>>
I think we first need to answer to what is conciosness and after that we can make some theories about death
>>
>>26969940
If the angels don't come to take you away, wherever you're going sure won't be any better than earth
Thread replies: 170
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.