[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to defeat nihilism? I wish I were like my friends, they
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7
File: 1456625189437.jpg (57 KB, 600x334) Image search: [Google]
1456625189437.jpg
57 KB, 600x334
How to defeat nihilism?

I wish I were like my friends, they enjoy sports, fixing their cars, and I just sit here, depressed, thinking about life all day long
>>
realize that because nothing matters, you can do whatever you want
>>
Buy a bike. Ride it at night as far as you can go. Then ride back with your gooch pulsating red from pain and feel alive.
>>
>>26966564
You wont like the honest answer, robot.
>>
>>26966589
no thanks, that's how I ended up here
>>
Nihilism is babby's first philosophy. You'll move on to a more developed philosophy eventually.
>>
>>26966624
Just give it to me. Ive had enough of it already
>>
>>26966626
try a dash of not being a retard. it's just good business
>>
>>26966649
Well, you wont like it, but try it out because it ends up working at least some of the time.

But 'fake it till you make it' is a pretty solid strategy.

>Don't enjoy sports

Pretend like you do. Put money on the games. Go to the games. Pick a favourite player - randomly if you need to, and cheer real hard every time you think he does something well. Even if you dont feel it, act like you do.

>Fixing their cars

Find something inanimate in your life, and then find a way to repair or even improve it. It doesn't have to be a car. Ask yourself what the most expensive thing you own is. That's usually a good sign of what you care the most about. Learn more about that thing, and how to take better care of it, and how to make it better. Because it's so expensive, you'll value it more.

>Sit here depressed

fake it, motherfucker. You hear a shitty pop music song? Rather than bitching about how bad it is, you just say I fucking love this catchy song and keep listening till you can sing along.

Do this for everything - even when you arent enjoying it, pretend like you are. Yes its a lie, but . . .

One day, many weeks or months later you will wake up. And suddenly, all those things you participated in and did, you'll suddenly realize that you actually liked (some of) them. You will be a different person, but suddenly that sadness/nihilism that was always weighing down your shoulders - you will look around and it wont be there, and it will be a good day.

Try it, if you dont believe me - you have nothing to lose but some time and effort, and you don't even think those are valuable, so. . .
>>
File: tbo.png (94 KB, 1435x478) Image search: [Google]
tbo.png
94 KB, 1435x478
>>26966649
>>26966624 will suggest suicide but there are other options
>>
File: good fucking morning.jpg (95 KB, 537x432) Image search: [Google]
good fucking morning.jpg
95 KB, 537x432
>>26966564

nihilism != not enjoying things
>>
Your problem is that you are obsessed with meaning, which is opposite of nihilism.
>>
>>26966632
Like what?
Honestly, I agree to an extent that there is certainly a kind of nihilist that most people become when they're young. However I had my 'babby philosophy' as you so lovingly put it about... I guess 11 years ago now. And like OP, I've still not found a deeper meaning or philosophy that could 'stick'. I've quite unfortunately always come back to some kind of Nihilism. I dipped my toes into all kinds of things... The one that got closest to sticking was my own hodgepodge jumble that was largely a mix between Buddhism and Stoicism... However experience and time have unfortunately always brought me back to the conclusion that there really is no intrinsic meaning to life/That fulfillment is an illusion/We're just retarded monkeys that don't even know what's going on in our own heads etc etc... Each time I have found myself deeper in these beliefs and with less hope that there was something else out there.

Nihilism is, of course, an extremely loaded word. When most people hear Nihilist they think of some flavor of Nietzschean. I myself think of it (And I am just assuming you are the same OP) that it is just a short hand for saying 'I don't believe there is any intrinsic reason/meaning/purpose to all life.

>>26966564
So anyway OP, unfortunately I don't know. I've been mulling over this more than usual lately as I have recently had a death in the family. I trudge on however because there are still other people around that I love.
On reflection and observation I have come to a rather sad conclusion that you need to be kind of deluded to find some kind of peace and happiness, as real fulfillment is just an illusion we occasionally have the opportunity to enjoy. A quote I like by Mark Twain puts it way more succinctly than I could 'Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination.'
So... Maybe try to find a way to delude yourself in a positive way? That's the best I can give you OP, and if you figure out how to do it, tell me how!
>>
>>26966564
>nihilist beta pussy
>not god tier Stirnerist
Fucking die
>>
>>26966927
Try absurdism. It's kind of like nihilism but is more fun.
>>
>>26966819
No offense, but your advice sounds like "how to become fake lifeless husk, the step-by-step guide"...
>>
File: 1455203023080.jpg (130 KB, 832x690) Image search: [Google]
1455203023080.jpg
130 KB, 832x690
>>26966564
>I just sit here, depressed, thinking about life all day long
>Nihilist

I wish people would fianlly learn what nihilism is about.
>>
>>26966989
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWIVEuK5ATw
>>
>>26966967
Absurdism never really worked for me, I attempted living 'absurd' awhile back but it just kind of came off as a weird sort of Hedonism. I even attempted to meet Absurd people so I could learn but they were all just arty hipsters that made me want to kill myself more than Nihilism did. I don't think I was any better than them, I'm just no good at art. Perhaps I was doing it wrong but I couldn't really be a Stranger or a Happy Sisyphus.
I'm genuinely interested if and how you live an absurd life and if it makes you happy?
>>
keep busy so you dont have time to think about shit. it works
>>
>>26966989
the pretending to like things that are fucking retarded literally grossed me out
>>
>>26967050
It wasn't intentional, but it happened when I stopped taking life so seriously. I began to see ridiculousness in everything. The world basically just became a big joke to me.
>>
So I'm this guy >>26966927
Sorry for smashing this thread with my posts, but I lurk almost exclusively, so this posting thing is quite a novelty for me.

I actually agree with >>26966819

'Fake it till you make it' seems like it would have some kind of real world use. I strongly believe that we are generally pretty stupid. Maybe stupid isn't the right word but... Well a word I quite like is Confabulation. We're confabulators! We don't know what is going on in our own heads so we make up stories for ourselves. Chemicals pop around in our brain and we look around and go: 'hey, I must like this, this is pretty good!'

They key thing with this strategy is I guess that, it just gets you doing stuff. It tricks you into liking stuff. It may sound horrible, you may want to live naturally and 'find yourself' but... I guess I don't think that it really works like that. You need to make yourself.
It's really easy to stop moving and to do nothing... And as people we generally like to have a pretty good opinion of ourselves... It seems to me that a lot of people (myself often included) for whatever reason find that they have 'stopped' and in my opinion, it's probably better ego-wise for us to justify why we're not doing anything by thinking that the world is meaningless/everything I do is meaningless/Everything everyone else does is meaningless rather than looking at our lives and thinking 'Shit, I could probably do better with what I have'.

A bit rambley in this post, but the advice this dude gave was copping a bit of flak and I just wanted to put in my small amount of support to that dudes advice, whatever it's worth.
>>
>>26967223
I hope that you can sustain that attitude, how long have you lived like this?

Seeing that riduculousness is a sort of ideal I strive towards I suppose, I guess I just couldn't/can't keep that humor in me over the long term or when it's in regards to issues that are more personal or 'close' to my life. To be honest, I'm pretty jealous.
>>
>>26966589
This is the 'just b urslef' response of this issue.
>>
>>26967306
Since my mid-teens, I think. So that's gotta be like 6 or 7-sh years. I hope you figure something out soon.
>>
File: Nietzsche1882.jpg (329 KB, 1274x1700) Image search: [Google]
Nietzsche1882.jpg
329 KB, 1274x1700
>>26966564
The first thing you need to do is get off r9k and prefereably off 4chan altogether. This place is a toxic echo chamber for hateful, socially-maladjusted, white, middle class teenagers. The very worst ones are so weak and malignant that they spend their time trying to convince others that this place is normal so that they won't feel so lonely and isolated in their own dysfunction.

Second, nihilism is a good first step. It means you have shrugged off the slave mentality of external morality and stepped off into the Abyss. But there's a second step: now you need to construct your own internalized morality from strength of Will and decide how you want to spend your life. Since you've accepted that there is no purpose or meaning or grand design, you must now manifest your Will to Power and force the Universe to bend to your own design. If you are strong enough, weaker people will begin to follow in your wake, accepting the moral laws you've created as being objectively true -- and you will have changed reality.
>>
>>26966819
Is this "Becoming a Normie 101"?
It sure sounds like it.
>>
File: zzUUNVo.jpg (277 KB, 2048x1382) Image search: [Google]
zzUUNVo.jpg
277 KB, 2048x1382
you're doing nihilism wrong
>>
>>26966819
Sure sounds like fake it until you become it
>>
>>26967826
Isn't it just hedonism?
>>
>>26967826
how to move from left to right
>>
>>26966819
Become someone else to be accepted?
No.
>>
>>26967223
Huh. Today I learned I'm an absurdist.
>>
>>26967826
This is a meme answer. Just because you are free to do anything you want doesn't mean that you have to find all of the options appealing. Freedom doesn't mean squat if you can't enjoy it.
>>
>>26967482
I keep seeing more and more of based Nietzsche on this site - is that a good sign? Is the entire /r9k/-experience one form of gazing into the Abyss, since one essentially gives up on life, and is the introduction of Nietzschean philisophy to robots a potential redemption from robothood?
>>
>>26967014
alright holy shit... thats like insanely spot on
>>
>>26968112
acquire good looks and money
>>
Start gambling, BIG TIME!
Trust me
>>
>>26966589
But I don't want anything
>>
File: nihil.jpg (271 KB, 1280x864) Image search: [Google]
nihil.jpg
271 KB, 1280x864
>>26967826
fixed that for you my friend
>>
How to defeat nihilism? You think nothing matters? One day everything will be gone, all the tallest buildings and most famous people will be forgotten, never to be seen again. Even just one century from now no one will remember you or me most likely. None of it will last.THATS WHY IT MATTERS, IF IT ALL LASTED FOREVER THAN THERE WOULD BE NO POINT, IF YOU COULD DO AANYTHING THAN THERES NO POINT IN ANYTHING. Every second of everyday will never happen again, your child hood, greatest accomplishments and opportunities will only happen once so every moment matters, you can change anything you want but once it dissapears you can't so be sure to treasure your short time on this beautiful world anon. Might be a bit faggy but that's what I think at least
>>
>>26966819
>just become a zombie brah
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.