[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Please help me r9k. I am at my first year of university trying
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 9
File: 23603371.jpg (50 KB, 500x365) Image search: [Google]
23603371.jpg
50 KB, 500x365
Please help me r9k.

I am at my first year of university trying to turn my life around.
I am 22 years old and I will feel so dam stupid around all these teenagers. The teacher asks questions and everyone has an in depth answer and detailed questions. Meanwhile I am struggling just to understand the words used in questions. I am trying so dam hard to catch up with my education from dropping out of highschool.

I am studying construction engineering and I have yet to even get to any math classes.

Right now I need to discuss and explain the main principles of BIM (Building Information modelling). This is just 1/3 of what is required of a report and I don't even understand what he wants.

What does this mean? What are principles? I am so dam confused please help.
>>
Not gonna sugar coat it, friend. College might not be the path for you. There's nothing wrong with that, there are plenty of well paying jobs that don't require formal education. If you're really dedicated to making it through college though I would recommend getting a tutor or friend to help you. Not trying to be rude but deciding early would save you time and money.
>>
Did you really think you could do an engineering degree after being a HS dropout?

:-/
>>
>>26965598
I want to get my degree. I have spent the last 4 years being an absolute waste of space and leech on my mom who is a single mother.

I have gotten a job as a dish washer every night and I was able to convince the university to let me into their program by telling them how much I want to change my life around.

I really feel I able to finish university. I am just slower then then everyone else.
>>
First step is to calm down Anon and just read the material and see if you understand it
>>
>>26965633
>>26965633
>Did you really think you could do an engineering degree after being a HS dropout?

It's not a real engineering degree. It's more construction management. I would do a handful of civil engineering courses and structural engineering courses, architectural courses then focus on the estimating, management and measurement of construction projects.

I just don't understand big words used all the time and a lot of concepts.
>>
>>26965643
It's not going to be easy, you need to seriously look at your options and seek what help your university can offer. You WILL be spending all of your free time on schoolwork. It's not fair, but if it's what you want you're going to have to suck it up and make it happen.
>>
>>26965666
I understand what Building Information Modelling is.

I understand how it works, the benefits and even the process for a construction company to apply it and slowly adapt to it.

I have read half a dozen PHD thesis's on the topic and how much it benefits projects, saves money, time, ectt. the legal gray areas involved with the collaboration of trades such as liability for mistakes.

But I draw a blank when it asks me to show i understand the basic principles of it. What does that even mean?

2/3 is applying correctly the knowledge of BIM software and demonstrating an understanding

3/3 is Designating BIM roles and responsibilities to construction stakeholders

But I just go blank and I can;t even explain to myself what the principles are because I don't know what that question means
>>
File: HRmQ9FT.jpg (89 KB, 644x781) Image search: [Google]
HRmQ9FT.jpg
89 KB, 644x781
I google "Basic Principles" and all I get are definitions on morality.
>>
File: 1455592286471.jpg (213 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
1455592286471.jpg
213 KB, 720x960
Please help me someone
>>
>>26965994
this nigga hairline is F U C K E D
>>
>>26965994
where are your ears?
>>
File: 1455591739289.jpg (57 KB, 714x835) Image search: [Google]
1455591739289.jpg
57 KB, 714x835
>>26966009
>>26966031
>Don't make fun of him or you will have to answer to me

But yes, please help me understand whats required for my report.
>>
>>26966071
Have you attempted to read the wiki? It seems to be straight forward enough.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Building_information_modeling
>Traditional building design was largely reliant upon two-dimensional technical drawings (plans, elevations, sections, etc.). Building information modeling extends this beyond 3D, augmenting the three primary spatial dimensions (width, height and depth) with time as the fourth dimension (4D)[18] and cost as the fifth (5D).[19] BIM therefore covers more than just geometry. It also covers spatial relationships, light analysis, geographic information, and quantities and properties of building components (for example, manufacturers' details).
>>
>>26966107
I understand what BIM was designed for and features it typically has.

From 2d, 3d, 4d and 5d. The relationships between all of them and then what trades would use each type.

is this what it means base principles?
>>
>>26966133
>base principles

Drop him an email and ask for him to clarify. There is absolutely nothing wrong in that and you are paying money, I assume...

At worst he thinks you are a little slow, and there is definitely no reason to act prideful when you want to learn.

Good luck, I know that you will be OK. Sorry I couldn't help.
>>
>>26965543
Thankfully i've been sheltered from stupid people like you since secondary school. Sometimes I forget that there is 10% of the population not cut out even for basic undergraduate degrees.

Here in the UK if you don't have a degree you're essentially fucked because you're considered slightly retarded.
>>
>>26966252
>Here in the UK if you don't have a degree you're essentially fucked because you're considered slightly retarded.

Then help me please. I want to learn. I want to be like everyone else
>>
>university
>dropped out of hs

must not be American, being anything but a good successful student exempts you from going straight to a university here

>tfw
>>
>>26966133
You need to ask your lecturer/tutor to clarify it for you, they're there to answer questions, and most of them are happy to help. Do you get a marking scheme? Some units in my course (science) give out marking grids for assignments, so it's basically a check box of everything you need to put into the report.

Go to the library, most libraries have staff dedicated to helping students develop report writing skills. If you understand the concepts, they can help you write it down. Talk to your classmates if you can, but don't copy their work or it'll land you both in hot waters for plagiarism.

Good luck, OP! It's not easy, but you will make it through. You just need to work harder than everyone else.
>>
>>26966333
Perhaps he didn't given 22yo.

OP if you are willing to bang your head against the brick wall you may get there but the other anon talking about other options in NOT just trying to be a faggot.
>>
>>26966389
>other options is NOT
>>
I understand what you are going through. It's okay. Not everyone can be above average intelligence.
For those of us with just average intelligence, we feel let down in university, where the cohort of students usually represents the upper bracket of IQ.
Just remember that if you are in university, you are at least of average intelligence, meaning you are smarter than half of people in your country.

That's ok.
>>
> I need to discuss and explain the main principles of BIM

Discuss - talk or write about (a topic) in detail, taking into account different issues or ideas.

Explain - make clear to someone by describing it in more detail or revealing relevant facts.

Principles - A fundamental source or basis of something
>>
File: 1454045251122.jpg (103 KB, 1000x746) Image search: [Google]
1454045251122.jpg
103 KB, 1000x746
>help
>/r9k/
pick one
>>
File: 1457170092915.jpg (14 KB, 320x246) Image search: [Google]
1457170092915.jpg
14 KB, 320x246
Is this you as well?
>>
OP I struggled at first too but here is the frank response you need.

Nobody can help you as much as you can help yourself. That means waking early and spending all day in the library if necessary. Read something over and over until your brain gets the message that you are going to keep doing it until you understand and remember the content of what you're reading. You need to be hard on yourself instead of posting wet blanket photos on /r9k/.

Black people in America often view themselves as victims from birth, which leads to them never trying hard to get out of their shitty situation.

If you view yourself as stupid and slow that's what you're going to be. View yourself instead as someone with great potential and try as hard as you can to achieve it.

Either do that or fail and go back to live with your mom and cry yourself to sleep like a faggot.
>>
But sriously friend, email your lecturer and just ask. They won't mind. As long as you show some initiative, they'll want to help you.
>>
Thank you everyone for your replies. I am emailing my teacher now. I hope he takes me seriously.

>>26966479
>>26966479
This has helped me ALOT. Thank you very much for this.
>>
>>26967206
He will. I have asked some fucking retarded things and they still answer.
>>
>>26967145
this anon knows, op
>>
Holy fucking shit I hate encountering people like you in higher education. When did people start thinking that everyone needs to go to university?

You do not belong in university. It is that simple. Come to terms with it and do something else.

People like you ruin the experience for those of us who actually deserve to be there.

Not only is it the best thing for you, it's also the best thing for everyone else if you drop out now. Please seriously consider this.

If you drop out now you'll avoid wasting an insane amount of time and money.

Why the fuck did you think that going to university would turn your life around? Getting a fucking job will turn your life around.
>>
>>26967759
>Holy fucking shit I hate encountering people like you in higher education.
Someone who was disadvantaged early in life trying to catch up from behind wanting a better life? Sure sounds horrible anon. Why isnt everyone from a perfect household. Life is unfair isnt it?
>When did people start thinking that everyone needs to go to university?
When every career required a degree to advance beyond shit tier. (Are you sure you are in university because this is very obvious)

>People like you ruin the experience for those of us who actually deserve to be there.
A student wanting to learn. At a place of learning. Sure sounds like he is ruining it.

You are one massive idiot.
>>
>>26965543
I am the opposite.

I am 28, starting uni and I am destroying those teens.
But this is not because I am smart or intelligent but because I do not party/play video games/watch anime like them but because I am studying all day erry day.
>>
>>26965680
>You WILL be spending all of your free time on schoolwork. It's not fair, but if it's what you want you're going to have to suck it up and make it happen.

This anon is right.

You can be dumb as it gets but you will make it in uni if you sacrifice ALL your free time to studying.

That means no video games or animes or /r9k/ for 4 hours a day.
>>
>>26967816
I have done the same. I quit all video games and anime, only thing left is 4chan.

My problem is my long work hours. I wash dishes from about 6pm-2am and sometimes from 5am-8am.

Includes commuting to my school and it's brutal.
>>
Dont be an idiot. These kids coming straight from an edjucational environment. Just cause they know how to deal with assignments doesnt mean they are intelligent. Get used to the college stuff - read slow n steady and stop wasting time.
>>
File: every year.jpg (62 KB, 392x700) Image search: [Google]
every year.jpg
62 KB, 392x700
>>26967876
I feel ya.

I have to take naps, because lack of energy for some reason through the day.

Right now I am on my 15 min. brake from reading the book.
>>
>>26967759
MUH COLLAGE EXPERIANCE
>>
just .. study .. the material .. they give you.

i don't really understand your problem

its a college, they LITERALLY tell you exactly what they want for your assessments verbatim.

the notes, lectures, and references you're given are exactly what they want to see you regurgitate in your assessments.

you honestly sound like somebody who unironically & literally do not have the IQ required to pursue something beyond blue collar.

you should be able to read the material, store it in your brain, and then synthesis thought on it.
>>
UK jobless NEET here, is it too late for me to go to uni to get a computer science degree? I'm 24 and can already program at an intermediate level but haven't gotten anything out of the 50+ job applications I've sent off lately.

Main thing is cost, can I still get student loans if I'm 24 (25 when I start)? Because right now I literally have no money at all.

I'm also considering a developer bootcamp instead if uni isn't practical.
>>
All the talk of tfw no gf, chad, stacey, and bbc cuckolds

But this has hit me in the feels more than anything else.

Someone who earnestly wants to do more and be more, but can't because he lacks the faculties.

Watching other people 'get it' and can't work out why he's different.

Jesus christ
>>
File: Bleh.jpg (325 KB, 1375x689) Image search: [Google]
Bleh.jpg
325 KB, 1375x689
>>26968168
>ts a college, they LITERALLY tell you exactly what they want for your assessments verbatim.

This was all I was given. My degree is a research degree not a HERES THE INFORMATION.

You are not provided with everything in the lectures.
>>
>>26965543
Here. Read it. If you still suck, find another path.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MAHBYQ/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?ie=UTF8&btkr=1
>>
>>26968248

lol what.

yes it is in the lecture notes, tutorial work, textbook chapters, references, etc.

that's how university works, dude.

you'd of been provided some sort of learning guide for the semester that will outline what you need to do to satisfy each criteria with more detail.

go through that
>>
>>26965543
Talk to your professor
>>
>>26968367
>yes it is in the lecture notes

It really isn't. It provides the very very basics but not enough to pass the course if you rely on that.

>Tutorial work
Still not enough.

If you want to pass the course you need to find it all out yourself. This is the point of the course.
>>
>>26968177
Theres people on my course who are over 40, and a large chunk of my class have children. So no, you're not too old.
>>
>>26968402

what the fuck kind of course are you doing?
>>
>>26968402
Don't you have something like recommended books? Download them or obtain them in the library, you need them ASAP, lectures are mostly useless unless you have a good teacher.
>>
>>26968402

honestly if this a bachelor degree you're being fucking scammed.

i've done 2 bachelors and have now started med.

in my experience across both previous bachelor degrees everything is laid out in complete detail.

learning objectives for the week, mandatory text book chapters, recommended chapters, recommended research papers to go over, "extra" videos like fuckin khan academy, multiple lectures, tutorial work with more references to review, online modules.

assessments were laid out in detail with marking criteria.

online forums were open on all assessments that allowed students & teachers to communicate and discuss the assessments.

office hours, you could email your tutor, etc.

either you're missing huge chunks of information, or you're at a REALLY shitty course jesus christ.
>>
>>26968656
Sounds like you just did babby-tier courses with enormous class sizes at some state school
>>
>>26968656
I go to one of the top 40 school in the world ranking wise.

The point of the course is not to be spoon fed.

We have a reading before every week, couple vids every week, a tutorial discussion and a discussion board.

The rest is up to you.
>>
>>26968725

> I go to one of the top 40 school in the world ranking wise

>>26965543

> I am 22 years old and I will feel so dam stupid around all these teenagers.

> Meanwhile I am struggling just to understand the words used in questions. I am trying so dam hard to catch up with my education from dropping out of highschool

lmfao
>>
>>26968794
Did a bridging course to get in which gave me an entrance score needed.
>>
>>26965543
Why not vocational / technical schools instead? Maybe that's where you'll shine. Or you need to shift to an easier course that you think will be a match for your capabilities / talent. Maybe you're just pushing yourself to a course that isn't for you.
>>
>>26969349
>implying OP will "shine" anywhere
>>
>>26965598
not him but what's some well paying jobs that don't require brain work?
>>
>>26969647
Sales and most trades

Heavy equipment operation

Truck driving
>>
>>26966322
First thing you need to do is get off /r9k/.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.