[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>be me >be 18 >"hey, anon, what are you doing after
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5
>be me
>be 18
>"hey, anon, what are you doing after high school"
>every fucking day
>"oh, that's anon, he's a computer genius"
>"anon fix my computer"
>i've written two novellas, a play and an EP
>people only think of me as a computer guy
>been getting into art for most of HS
>experiment with visual art and music
>consistently go days without a computer
>time to pick a major
>currently taking three english classes
>"i think i'm gonna major in english"
>"no, anon, go into computer science, it's your calling"
>being college cucked by my guidance counselor
>might be doomed to an office job the rest of my life
>consider suicide frequently
>antidepressants are helping less and less

what do i do, guys, it's almost application time and i don't want to go into CS, because that just confirms that it's the only thing i'll ever be good at but i don't know if there are any decent jobs in the arts
>>
There aren't many good jobs in the arts but there are jobs, if you dont want to study computer science its not even a question
>>
WHAT IS ON HIS LIP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4BNtP7tN8I
>>
>>26961208
basically it comes down to whether i value my family life over my education, i think every gathering would turn into a big clusterfuck of "such a shame you didn't go into CS, you've always been the computer genius, remember [computer related anecdote from my childhood]"
>>
>>26961261
Mate if you make your decisions based on what your family wants you are going to be fucking miserable in 10 years time. I'm assuming your from America so I don't know what its like there but in Australia it's pretty likely you'll change degrees atleast once so don't stress about making the right decision now because you can always change
>>
>>26961132
I knew a guy that said he wanted to be a butler every time someone asked him about his future

fuckin dumbass got shitty grades and probably dropped out but at least he was confident

why are you such a pushover?
>>
>>26961261
"Ha ha, yeah, that might have been more lucrative, but I wanted to follow my passions, and pursue things I have a genuine interest in. I feel like my life was meant for more than just working on computers."

You really shouldn't let the possibility of a difficult conversation deter you from following your dreams. And, if you take this advice, twenty years from now, when you're an unemployed, homeless vagrant, dying in the street, you can feel free to curse me for giving you this advice.
>>
does this video apply to you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G9QIIvSpzE
>>
>>26961378
>why are you such a pushover?
my family has provided for me for as long as i've been alive so i feel like taking something they don't want me to take is a giant middle finger to them
>>
TED CRUZ IS THE ZODIAC KILLER
>>
18 year olds get the fuck out, this is not a place for you

you still have hope
>>
File: 1455915773-cruz-zodiac.jpg (222 KB, 1324x662) Image search: [Google]
1455915773-cruz-zodiac.jpg
222 KB, 1324x662
ANOTHER REASON TO VOTE FOR TRUMP
>>
>>26961467
Are you kidding, fuck them. Thats kind of what parents do when they decide to have kids, if they don't want you to do what makes you happy then you should give them an actual middle finger.
>>
>>26961499
Fuck off back to tumblr with your tumblr memes.
your right though, you should vote trump
>>
Do comp sci then chair force.
>>
>>26961800
but muh writing
>>
>>26961467
>my family has provided for me for as long as i've been alive
Why is that? Why do you think they did that? What do you think they expect from you?

The social contract I entered into was made very clear to me. They provide for me in my early life, I provide for them in their later life. I need to fulfill that contract at any cost - and if my parents' transient desires for what they want me to do conflict with that, they can fuck right off like the shortsighted imbeciles they are. I might be on /r9k/ but I'm on a good salary track and more importantly I haven't thrown myself in front of a train.

What are your duties to your parents, OP? What are your REAL duties to your parents? And is meeting those duties compatible with shoving your passions into a box and becoming a mediocre drone, just for the sake of appeasing your parents' brief and superficial wants?
>>
I wold take English if I were you. You probably won't be motivated enough taking computer science and you happiness/grades will suffer. Take computer science for your electives for easy marks and so you can switch majors easily if you get bored of English. Double majoring might be a possibility depending on their course credit requirements.
>>
>>26961132
Man CS gets you many decent paying jobs, if I could go back to change my studies at uni I would've choose IT or something computer related
>computers are the future.
>>
>falling for the college meme

See you back here in two years posting in the NEET threads.
>>
File: 1456977321326.png (377 KB, 561x507) Image search: [Google]
1456977321326.png
377 KB, 561x507
If you spend your life doing things because other people tell you to, you'll die bitter and full of regrets. You'll probably die bitter and full of regrets regardless, but why not be a famous playwright, or a vaporwave producer? Everyone's playing into the STEM meme but there's no point going into STEM if you're going to hang yourself halfway through.
>>
>>26961378
>a butler
That would actually be kind of cool. You would have everything provided to you.
>>
>>26961590
> superentitledmillenialsarefuckingshit
>>
>>26962038
Ahh yes, such entitlement. The expectation that you are allowed to pursue any career you want is so fucking lazy and entitled and selfish and Millenial etc etc. Something like that right?
>>
File: yosoyelassesinozodiaco.jpg (74 KB, 537x483) Image search: [Google]
yosoyelassesinozodiaco.jpg
74 KB, 537x483
>>26961499
>>26961486
(0rginal commentz):::::"""""
>>
>>26961132
don't fall for the artiste meme you idiot, do cs and then use the highly theoretical stuff you learn to make ground-breaking multimedia art

source: im 24, wasted my life trying to study art, im now learning about maths and computers because they fuel my creative way more than learning to hold a pencil
>>
>>26962707
i would agree with you but i prefer writing and traditional music (guitars and singing and drums and shit) over multimedia art and electronic music
>>
>>26962707
in case it isnt clear:
go to college
get better jobs
find an artist and ask him to be his coffe boy in exchange for seeing him work

that way you score 3 goals with one ball
>>26962732
doesnt matter man, how do you plan on record it? buying a mic like all other idiots? or building your own positronic mics? what about adding a computer to a guitar and making it do crazy shit?

ive been where you are, i got too hyped by my own artistic euphoria and wasted 6 years of my life
>>
>>26962762
>building your own positronic mics? what about adding a computer to a guitar and making it do crazy shit?

i'm not trying to defy medium and be some fucking page in an art history book, i use this stuff as an outlet. strong emotions make strong pieces.
>>
>>26962793
In real life more skills are better

You are good with computers, and good with art

Best way to learn art is finding an artist and exchanging work for trade secrets

This will make you a better artist than art school

Then, by studying CS you will learn very valuable and groundbreaking shit

This shit will allow you to have better paying jobs, so when you are 23, instead of being a guitarist with two jobs and 2 hours a day to practice, you will have one job which will leave you both extra cash and 8 hours a day to practice

Its the smart way man, make use of your priviledge in life and your extra talents to ensure your time to waste in what you love, specially if you are not serious with it and just regard it as an outlet
>>
>>26962908
i'm not sure how to explain how serious it is to me to be able to express feelings by creating things. when i was in middle school i was basically king sperglord and when i had emotions to deal with i would isolate myself and play minecraft or whatever, so when i found proper outlets for that sort of thing it was really life changing. i started making real-life friends and going out to concerts and things. it sounds like some lefty hippie bullshit, but art really changed my outlook on life.
>>
>>26962989
ive lived your same story anon, im just 6 years ahead down the bad route

i won't keep trying to convince you if you don't want to be convinced, im just saying what i think its the smartest thing to do, uni doesn't take your whole day, it isnt "oh noo i ruined my life", its just fucking 4 or 5 years, you sound anglo so 4 or 5 years + intense social experience, you don't say you hate computers either, just that you found out you love art, getting an ""intership"" with a succesful artist is way better than getting a degree in it, art college is pretentious shit filled with failed resented wannabe "artists" as professors, CS entry jobs give way more money than being a store clerk, things are getting more expensive everyday, most people need two jobs in order to keep economical balance, by 23/24 you will be ahead in terms of free time than every fag who attended art school or just went to play guitar to Ecuador's streets
>>
>>26961132
Perhaps you should go into CS and keep writing in your spare time. That ought to be a good compromise. The soul-draining existence of an wage-slave office worker could be an interesting topic for a book or play you might write in the future. Imagine how many people could relate to a well-written book on a topic like that.
>>
>>26963087
everybody needs to wageslave at their 20s, better to be a better payed wageslave with more time to keep furthering his goals than having a shit job and no skills at 25
>>
>>26963114
i think it boils down to whether i want to be a desk jockey and freelance artist or an artist and freelance desk jockey
>>
>>26963145
no, for fucks sake, no one is asking you to pursue a career in CS you dumb fuck, just that the degree will make your life easier so you can focus on art, if not you are gonna be a waiter by day, a telemarketer by night, and a musician when you go take shits
>>
>>26963145
pick the one with the more stable future. it's easier to switch from a desk jockey job to full artist than it is the other way around.
>>
>>26961132
Don't do it OP. I gave up my passions and talents in writing, philosophy, etc. for an engineering degree because I was "good at math" and "it's the only way I'll get a good job". Now I'm doing an unpaid internship and want to kill myself because I hate the work. I doubt I'll even find employment anytime soon.

The "just do what you love" thing is not a meme.
>>
>>26961132
They're doing you a favor. If you're going to write, just write, don't bother with school. That degree will mean fuck all if you major in English unless you're gonna go get a masters and teach.
>>
Hi OP,

I had a very similar experience to yours although some years before. Chose to get my degree in Engineering so I always had something to fall back on. Currently working full time in set and lighting design in LA and dabbling in VR environment design as a hobby. Remember, your degree doesn't limit you, what you really have to consider is the balance of losing 4-6 years for college rather than going directly at your intended career, be it in the arts or otherwise. Not loving CS, hating being "the computer guy", won't stop ;you from getting a free ride scholarship to the uni of your choice for being even *moderately* good at CS. Take whatever electives you want in their adjoining art school and enjoy your free ride
>>
>>26961132
man, anon. don't go into a program you don't want to do and for the love of god don't let anyone force you into it. don't spend the next years of your life miserable.
>>
>>26961132
Hi anon,

I'm from South America, studying to get two licenciate's degrees (education is unpaid here) and coming from switching careers like three times.

From my experience, you have to pick one thing that you like, in the place you like, and GO ON WITH IT TIL THE END. And get the best grades you can. Also always learn and do extracurricular things that you like, be it spanish, portuguese, french, italian, japanese, chinese, proramming, math, art, etc. If you can do it at a place that gives you a certificate, it's better; if not, it's cool too. Help others, volunteer.
Once you finished your first "degree" or whatever, go for the next one. You can be a bachelor in computer science and major in arts, or biology and computers. Jeez, anything blends fine nowadays. Just don't listen to IGNORANT PEOPLE. If you like english you'll find something, trust me, just be happy don't stop learning. Happy people get jobs.
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/small-business/openforum/articles/why-english-majors-are-the-hot-new-hires/
https://www.google.com.ar/search?q=employed+english+major

do you DEPEND on those people you name? (family, counselor) do you need them to sign anything?
make them read that article, and any other you find enlightening. But please, don't let others choose your path because TOMORROW you'll find the reasons why YOU WERE RIGHT TODAY, look back and want to kill everybody.

YOU ARE RIGHT, TODAY.

also, this fag
>>26963796
>>
>>26961467
>my family has provided for me
my family also provided for me, but they don't knew shit. I am the first universitary-educated in the family so they knew how to support me financially but not in any other aspect.

this
>>26964974

Just don't avoid CS just because other people tell you to do it, please for the love of GOD don't do that reverse-psychology stupid shit. Go for what you like regardless of them.
>>
>>26961132
do whatever the fuck you want to do man. in the end, the only thing that matters is whether or not you are happy. if you spend your entire life following others and trying to appease them, you will never truly become an individual.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.