[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are normies so obsessed with sports? Why they obsess and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 10
File: tumblr_lyy7e7Cg151qewacoo1_500.jpg (222 KB, 499x270) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lyy7e7Cg151qewacoo1_500.jpg
222 KB, 499x270
Why are normies so obsessed with sports?

Why they obsess and dedicate themselves to watching a bunch of Chads play a meaningless game? Sports fans get in actual fights with each other over the results of a bunch of jocks who will never know they exist or if they did they would find their obsession with them creepy.
>>
I'm glad that they usually kill eachother in said fights.
Basically a bunch of monkeys in red shirts hate another bunch of monkeys because they have blue shirts. No other reason. Fucking retards.
>>
>>26959113
Yep, and these monkeys make more money in one season than you will ever see in a lifetime. How does it feel that a retarded monkey makes more money than you and is much more physically capable than you?

Also to OP, why are you so obsessed with shitposting on an image board? People like different things, get used to it. I don't follow sports either, but at least I don't act like what I enjoy is any more productive or insightful than the next person's interests.
>>
File: 1444264444748.jpg.png (9 KB, 255x251) Image search: [Google]
1444264444748.jpg.png
9 KB, 255x251
>>26959049
Willing to bet you are also a normie OP.
>>
File: image.jpg (39 KB, 480x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39 KB, 480x600
>>26959049
Why do people watch anime or play video games? Its meaningless. Some beta autists even get into online fights over which animes are better or which games and systems used to play them are better. The funny thing is that the people making the animes and games will never even know them and would find the fact that they jerk off to their work creepy.
>>
>>26959049
god damn your a faggot
>>
>>26959404
>find the fact that they jerk off to their work creepy
A lot of animators draw perverted shit.

Rebecca Sugar, the creator of Steven Universe and former main storyboard artists for Adventure Time, used to draw Ed, Edd, 'n Eddy yaoi. Even Walt Disney was a pedophile who liked drawings of "sexy little girls."
>>
>>26959049
>>26959404
I don't understand the appeal of sports, really.

I don't care for anime, but like with any fiction I think the appeal is obvious; you become invested in the story and characters. Sports don't have that.

With a video game you are interacting and in addition to that it may still have the characters and story to hook you in.

I mean every now and then I can enjoy a basketball/football/baseball game if it is a close thing, but I still don't get excited. I don't care who the players are.
>>
>>26959518
>I mean every now and then I can enjoy a basketball/football/baseball game if it is a close thing, but I still don't get excited.

OP here. Yeah, I can enjoy watching the occasional game, but how dedicated sports fans are to this baffles me. I can barely stand to watch most sports because of the constant commercials. At least soccer they only have them on the shirts. I don't know how a grown man can cry and throw a fit because the outcome of a game. Like you said, there's no story or characters to invest your emotions in, there isn't artistic creativity or fascinating storytelling techniques, so comparing sports to storytelling mediums makes no sense.
>>
It's amusing that men who kick balls get paid more than doctors who save lives.

I was forced into team sports by my parents in school. I thought I might as well try to do a good job. I didn't have fun, but I do recognize the value of team sports in teaching competition, cooperation, and social hierarchy. Cooperate with your own guys. Compete against enemy teams. Learn who works well with each other, who to listen to, etc. It's good shit that applies well to the office world, politics, business, what have you. The exercise tires you out, and you feel emotions harder as a group when you win, lose, or score.

My specific gripe is with fat middle aged fucks who couldn't play a sport to save their lives, drink beer, watch and idolize dudes half their age kick balls around on TV, pay hundreds of dollars for tickets, memorize useless statistics, and then berate others for their nerdy hobbies.

I have nothing against people who actually play sports themselves, even though I personally don't and prefer anime and video games instead. If nothing else, it's exercise that could potentially reduce financial strain on the medical system later on.
>>
>>26959049
i hate fags like you
you must watch big bang theory and claim youre a geek intelectual
>>
>>26959518
>>26959592
It has the appeal of watching real competition from the people who are the most athletic and skilled at their sport in the world. If you were raised a sports fan from a young age thats how you become invested in it. Also betting.
>>
>>26959660
this
autist have their own sports with cs go and lol
>>
>>26959621
Agree with everything but the first sentence. There are many doctors but very few people who can make it to the top level of their sport. Basic supply and demand. The players are producing much more revenue than the average doctor is so of course they will get paid more.
>>
>>26959592
I guess they invest their emotions in the team they root for as a whole. I personally don't enjoy watching almost any kind of sport on tv, but I can understand if someone freaks out over his(/her?) hometown team. But yeah, if they get to the point where fighting and killing each other seems reasonable, they DESERVE to be beaten up.
>>
File: 1456535733902.jpg (124 KB, 566x910) Image search: [Google]
1456535733902.jpg
124 KB, 566x910
>>26959404
It's not the same though.
Playing sports is cool and fun but watching someone else play is just retarded.
It's not like playing video games or watching anime, it's like watching someone playing video games or watching anime.
It's basically watching someone else have fun.
>>
File: typical sports fans.webm (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
typical sports fans.webm
1 MB, 1280x720
Because normies are stupid.
>>
File: nigger high five.gif (2 MB, 360x230) Image search: [Google]
nigger high five.gif
2 MB, 360x230
>>26959193
>b-but they make munny $$$

>>26959404
>b-b-but you nerd! fedora!!

>>26959481
>>26959645
>b-but u gay

/sp/ortcucks in full damage control today trying to rationalize why they spend money to watch negroids exercise.
>>
File: 1425966011082.jpg (129 KB, 630x630) Image search: [Google]
1425966011082.jpg
129 KB, 630x630
>>26959518
>I don't understand the appeal of sports, really.
That's because you never played sports.
Loads of sports fans grew up playing the sports in question so they can put themselves in the athlete's shoes, and vicariously feel the tension of their struggle to attain victory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq1-ZxV9Dc4

If you are unable to appreciate sports on any level it means you were an awkward unpopular nerdy faggot as a kid.
>>
>>26959049

Agreed. It's very cuckoldy too. You're basically watching another man do something you'd do but got told you weren't good enough.

I think it was always meant to condition society to give our false glory rather than seek glory for themselves.

At least with video games YOU get to be the player. You win the game, you go on the adventure, it's up to you. You interact with it and it responds in kind, you're involved. Sports players couldn't give a shit less about the fans beyond making sure they keep giving them ridiculous amounts of money.

With books and novels you get to use your imagination and expand your consciousness. Other hobbies like music have you creating things. I don't see the point in sports, it's for people who are too lazy to do anything themselves and have to cheer for other people to fit into the group.

>>26959404

>Just being contrarian for the hell of it.
>>
>>26959860
>it's like watching someone playing video games or watching anime.

Do I really have to say anything?
>>
>>26959860
Acting in a play is cool and fun but watching someone else act in a movie is just retarded.
>>
>>26959049

except for a few sports autists who by default blend in with normies

its not about the game, its about the socialization that occurs before, during and after events, specifically around alcohol

college events tend to have "dates" aka hoping to hook up afterwords, with people feeling more emboldened if your team wins

sporting events are "icebreakers" for both hook ups and bros to meet for planning bro stuff in the future

its the backyard bar b que or indoor party around the Tv

its posing
>>
>>26959977
Yeah OP will never be cool like you. ;^)
>>
>>26959995
>>26959971
>>26959860
>>26959518
>>26959487
Looks like i struck a nerve.
>>
The entire concept of sports revolves around
>pick a team
>shittalk EVERYBODY who didn't pick the team you did
das it mane
So shallow
Lacking in depth
Awful hedonistic bullshit
>>
>>26959621

>My specific gripe is with fat middle aged fucks who couldn't play a sport to save their lives, drink beer, watch and idolize dudes half their age kick balls around on TV, pay hundreds of dollars for tickets, memorize useless statistics, and then berate others for their nerdy hobbies.

>I have nothing against people who actually play sports themselves, even though I personally don't and prefer anime and video games instead. If nothing else, it's exercise that could potentially reduce financial strain on the medical system later on.

This is my crip too. The sports themselves aren't the problem so much as the spectator culture around it. Although I don't like the attitude and exclusionary mindset of the athletes. They're not better than anyone because they throw balls around and the NEED the spectator element to get the thing they're after -- glory, sex, money, etc.

That's the thing, people project lofty morals on these athletes when most are just Chads trying to get pussy like anyone else.
>>
File: le hat joke.png (26 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
le hat joke.png
26 KB, 640x480
>>26960013
This is an honest normie, nobody actually gives a shit about sports, they just want to socialize and get drunk, in the end they are just pretending, and women will follow the crowd like they always do.

>>26960067
You tell those nerds! REAL men watch niggers exercise, not this stupid anime and game shit!
>>
File: 1432784780520.jpg (43 KB, 500x384) Image search: [Google]
1432784780520.jpg
43 KB, 500x384
I love geography, stats, history, art, logos, watching people succeed or fail.
sports does all that.
>>
>>26959049

Only low est beta faggots dont get sports. True alpha males love physical competition
>>
Jews run all the major sports channels, it's just another way they are pushing negro worship onto the public.
>>
>>26960176
Watching Chads compete in a game on tv is not an activity.
>>
File: 1455660992297.png (418 KB, 606x557) Image search: [Google]
1455660992297.png
418 KB, 606x557
>>26960010
Well, that's actually a decent argument, however the difference is that people act to record a story which is the main part to enjoy while watching the movie while in sports there is no story, no effects and no music, only thing good in sports is playing it yourself as it doesn't feature anything else, that means that watching sports is pointless as it takes away the only good thing about it.

>>26960067
Ebin, as I said before, sports are great to play and fun, but watching other people play and having this cancerous mindset of thinking that anyone who doesn't support your favorite team is stupid is quite childish.
>>
Its just another form of escapism. Vicariously living though a player and feeling part of something bigger than themselves. They literally feel like they have lost when a team they have no control over loses. Video games are more interactive, but its largely the same thing. Yes, Id say that its a huge waste of time and money, but you cant be butthurt because someone chooses to waste their time differently than you waste yours.
>>
>>26960241
i dont think sports fans think that people that dont support their team are stupid. its just banter. you might be autistic anon.
>>
>>26960307
That actually depends, I was more talking about fanatics in that sentence but there are also normal people that believe in such things.
>>
>>26960307

if you are from Boston and New York/NJ

I assure you, its personal and about intelligence and classyness
>>
>>26959049
I'm not a normie but I enjoy sports. I don't obsess over it but it's entertaining to watch. It's like watching modern day gladiators. There's a ton of strategy involved that an autist can actually get more out of than a normie can
>>
>>26960241
There are many backstories in sports and not everything has to have special effects and music. You can just enjoy the authenticity of it. Plus there actually is a story of sorts in the actual game itself and it develops naturally and is unpredictable.
>>
I asked before, no one replied
Many britbongs love soccer, and I ridicule them for it.
>>
>>26959660
Yeah, I get the appeal of watching the competition. However only in the context of a single game. Even then though, I don't see where the emotional investment comes from.

There is no clash of ideas or morals, say. A good story is about themes which transcend the mere fiction.

What is sports about beyond a competition?
>>
>>26959977
>That's because you never played sports.

Yes, I did. Though I was shit at it I still wanted to win.

Of-course I had to play sports in school too.

I still don't understand the deep PASSION fans have for it.

A think a large part of it actually is the communal aspect of it. Since that piece is kind of just not there for me, generally speaking, sports culture just can't rope me in. I suppose it is why I don't care for bars and why I don't understand the appeal of concerts or the fandom over bands or singers.

Like I've already said. I can appreciate watching and enjoying a physical competition. I can even understand why you'd follow subsequent games in the season out of the same general enjoyment. However I don't grasp the emotional investment. The 'fan' competition that surrounds it.

>If you are unable to appreciate sports on any level it means you were an awkward unpopular nerdy faggot as a kid.

I suppose that is true, but I am left wondering why my post provoked this kind of hostility in you.
>>
>>26960176

No true alphas go and live their own lives, not sit around and worship other men.
>>
>>26960141

>This is an honest normie, nobody actually gives a shit about sports, they just want to socialize and get drunk, in the end they are just pretending, and women will follow the crowd like they always do.

This IS true I think but I can never really tell if they were just pretending or not. My best friend is like, King Normie to his normie friends but he's robot as hell with me. Around me he says sports are stupid, around them all the sudden sports are the best thing ever! I've known him most his life and I can't tell who he is lying too but liking sports gets him socialized and laid so I think that has a lot more to do with it.

I honestly believe if you got rid of sports from education, they'd fade away into the background once people weren't conditioned to like them and use them as social events.
>>
>>26960703
I work in a screen printing shop and last year we kept printing all this men's sporty underwear with some baseball player's name on it. I can't even remember what his fucking name was. I think he played for the Giants.

As I was working I kept wondering about what kind of guy wears underwear with another man's name printed right across the ass.
>>
It's very dramatic. Watching people compete directly against each other, with only one winner. There's dramatic tension because you don't know what's going to happen. You have rough idea of how it should go, and then watching it unfold is interesting, with all the different parts moving at once. And I don't think people watch because they like a team; I think they like a team because it makes it more interesting to watch. Anyone that stops and thinks about it will tell you it's silly. But you just put that aside and be silly because it's more fun that way. Also, it can be very beautiful to watch high-level athletes putting maximum effort into athletic endeavor.
>>
Sports are the same as any hobby. Its an escape. For a while you can just focus on your team instead of the project you have to be working on for work, or your family problems. I don't get the hate for sports. I can see how it could stem from the players generally being shitheads, but I don't watch them for the quality of their character.

The competition is always great to watch, and things like fantasy sports make it even more interesting to follow.
>>
>>26959977
>That's because you never played sports.

I was an Olympic alternate in Judo (believe me or don't - doesn't matter). I've never understood the point of kicking a ball around a field - judo, wrestling, boxing, any kind of fighting sure but not soccer and it's ilk.
>>
>>26960745

this is the thign robots need to learn

life requires social games

life requires lying and bullshitting

while we hate it, we need to shove it back in the faces of others and hope we are the ones who get to positions of influence and can right the course society has gone

the ends justify the means

we were raised to be honset and nice, that was brainwashing to keep up docile and controlable

parents who raised their kids this are victims too, and they failed to recognize the world has changed
>>
>>26959049

Modern day gladiator antics. People like a show of brutality and competition.
>>
It can give a vicarious sense of glory and narrative. There's social pressure, since all the other normies like it too. It's an acceptable way to be enthusiastic about violence, and there's no risk to your own safety. Throw in celebrity worship / wealth envy. I suppose people also admire the impressive feats of physical prowess.
>>
>>26961374
>we were raised to be honset and nice, that was brainwashing to keep up docile and controlable

No
My anime taught me to be honest and cool so I'll be honest and cool, fuck your society
>>
it is entertainment

you can explain to your parents how awesome it is to spend your time posting on some chinese cartoon forum but they won't get it

you won't get it too, I've played college ball and I still don't get it
>>
>>26960241
>there is no story, no effects, and no music

Sports has plenty of all of those, famalam. Teams have histories, players have statistics and careers. Entire industries are made around tracking where athletes have been and where they are going, both on the field and off. Millions are made over catchy ads and graphics during games. And there's plenty of music, be it college games or Superbowl halftime shows.

>having this cancerous mindset of thinking that anyone who doesn't support your favorite team is stupid is quite childish

What do you think this argument is? Tribalism's a thing everywhere. /r9k/ has wage-earners and NEETs, best waifu shitfights and autism olympics. Having an opponent to rally against or a goal to overcome is what brings people together, on both teams.
>>
>>26959193

He was clearly talking about the fans who fight and not the players. Learn to read you fucking retard.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.