[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who Nietzsche here? He wrote lots of incredibly profound stuff,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 7
File: Nietzsche1882.jpg (329 KB, 1274x1700) Image search: [Google]
Nietzsche1882.jpg
329 KB, 1274x1700
Who Nietzsche here?
He wrote lots of incredibly profound stuff, Thus Spoke Zarathustra being a particularly insightful read. His ideas about the ubermensch are also really interesting, what do you think of him?
>>
I prefer Marcus Aurelius. He makes life and finding happiness look so simple

"The happiness of your life depends upon the quality of your thoughts: therefore, guard accordingly, and take care that you entertain no notions unsuitable to virtue and reasonable nature. "
>>
>>26954077
Aurelius is plebian stoic thought desu senpai.

Nietzsche is a great philosopher though. He's admirable because he doesn't try to project or systematize. He does not make his way of life the good life, he even recognizes he (and all of mankind) is far, far from the ubermensch.

Spengler has one of the most interesting readings of him. Spengler sees Nietzsche as a natural figure, the man who comes about during the end of a civilization's fall and says that the basis of the civilization was fraudulent from the start and in doing so debunks all that the civilization built.
>>
>>26953881
shame the dude went insane, really. the birth of tragedy from the spirit of music is also great.
>>26954077
same can be said for the "meditations" of the last one of the five good emperors. really concise and insightful.

good taste robots, get some seneca in there too.
>>
>>26953881
I think he's a pathological hypocrite with a thoroughly inconsistent set of beliefs.
>>
>>26954145
the stoics were the first robots and they did it right. you are too blind to see desu senpai.
>>
>>26953881

Hey faggot nobody cares literally every grade philosophy student has read Zarathustra, you're not part of some esoteric group, and you're going to continue to be a shitty hipster NEET or wagecuck; you'll never be the ubermensch
>>
>>26954189
Perhaps he was just open to new ideas and shaped his beliefs accordingly?
>>
>>26953881
>>26954077

I'm more familiar with schopy. His idea of the world as a will made a lot of sense to me. Can you get any more robot than him? The guy wrote an article complaining about noise, for god's sake.

Also, daily reminder Hegel is a normie and a pleb.
>>
>>26953881
escapism in the purest form.
no better than Kierkegaard
>>
>>26954251
No, I'm saying that reading Marcus Aurelius to understand Stoicism is like reading Miley Cyrus to understand hedonism. Yeah, it will get you there, but there were much better philosophers of stoicism than Aurelius. Read Epictetus, Seneca and Cicero for much better treatments of the philosophy.
>>
>>26954356
I've only read wisdom of life. Is there anything else worth reading?
>>
File: 1456352691074.jpg (173 KB, 1721x2162) Image search: [Google]
1456352691074.jpg
173 KB, 1721x2162
>>26954632
>he hasn't read The World as Will and Representation

It's fundamental /schopcore/
>>
>>26954632

Literally any piece of paper that he laid his pen on. There is wisdom and beauty in every sentence this man wrote.
>>
File: 1421599662691.jpg (127 KB, 576x635) Image search: [Google]
1421599662691.jpg
127 KB, 576x635
>>26954356
>>26954753
>You will never have a long discussion about the depredations of women with the SchopLord while dining

why live
>>
>>26953881
Nietzsche > Aurelius and other stoics. Nietzsche extolled virtues similar (IMO) to the stoics, but without abandoning the passions. He acknowledged that the goal of perfection cannot be reached, but that it is a worthy goal nonetheless, and that pain and suffering are part of life and part of what makes us who we are and should thus be accepted (even loved) as well. He recognized the tragedy of live and urged us to exceed, not despite but BECAUSE of this; that the best part of us is our downfall, our struggle to overcome what we are and become MORE: "What is great in man is that he is a bridge and not an end: what can be loved in man is that he is an overture and a going under... I love those who do not first seek a reason beyond the stars for going down and being sacrifices, but sacrifice themselves to the earth, that the earth of the Superman may hereafter arrive." - Thus Spake Zarathustra

Also relevant, regarding stoics:
"You desire to LIVE 'according to Nature'? Oh, you noble Stoics, what fraud of words! Imagine to yourselves a being like Nature, boundlessly extravagant, boundlessly indifferent, without purpose or consideration, without pity or justice, at once fruitful and barren and uncertain: imagine to yourselves INDIFFERENCE as a power - how COULD you live in accordance with such indifference? To live - is not that just endeavouring to be otherwise than this Nature? Is not living valuing, preferring, being unjust, being limited, endeavouring to be different? And granted that your imperative, 'living according to Nature', means actually the same as 'living according to life' - how could you do DIFFERENTLY? Why should you make a principle out of what you yourselves are, and must be?" - Beyond Good and Evil
>>
>>26954822
>Superman
Also I HATE this translation... English can't quite capture the subtlety of the German "ubermench", can it?
>>
>>26954875
Over-man is a better translation tbqh, especially since Nietzsche is constantly talking about "overcoming" the not-so-good parts of humanity itself.
>>
>>26954935
Overman? No, first of all I hate to be all feminist, but "man" is potentially gendered (yeah I know it doesn't have to be) while "mench" is simply "people". This triggers me because a shitton of feminists have discarded Nietzsche just because of this. ("Mench" being translated as "man" is common to many German philosophers; one of the things that bothers me about Marx as well and for the same reason, i.e. feminists misunderstanding.) Second, "uber" means 'over', yes, but also so much more: "above" and "across" for example, and it can even imply change or transfiguration; consider the word "ubersetzen" (translate). Since "trans" literally means "on the other side", and this ties in perfectly with the whole 'man is a rope' stuff, I think the perfect translation would be 'transhuman'.
>>
>>26955154
I'm well aware but there are multiple translations and people just pick the one they like tbqh.

I've also heard the variations "Super-human", "Beyond-Man", Overhuman" etc.

But it's all up to what you want out of the concept if you ask me. It's not like Nietzsche left any schematic for how his theories were supposed to be put into action.
>>
>>26955154
The term man in English was originally gender neutral and only came to denote males as opposed to females later on. A woman was a vocation, what we would call a homemaker, a traditional housewife. It wasn't until around 1200-1300 IIRC, that woman came to mean female.

The word woman should be abolished, man should become genderless again and male and female, boy and girl should be how we denote gender.

I agree with your interpretation of Ubermensch but I think Overman actually does translate well there if you use over like a teenage girl. The Overman is "Like, so totally over man", not like an overlord, but one who has overcome his or her very humanity.

As far as the gender goes, Nietzsche did not think that females could be the Overman. He felt females were too much a social creature to achieve the isolation from man which was required to transcend humanity. He writes in Zarathustra that a female's dream should be to birth the ubermensch.

I suppose if you want to be really poetic and deliberately misinterpret him you could argue that this could be taken to mean that the woman could reinvent herself just as a man could and figuratively birth an overman in herself, but that's pointless IMO. Nietzsche blatantly said you should just take his works as his perspective and so long as you're not delving into metaphysical thinking he probably wouldn't have a serious quibble with a claim that females could become Overmen.
>>
Please go back to highschool with your adolescent interpretations. I am sick of your pseudointellectual shitposting.
>>
>>26954077
>He makes life and finding happiness look so simple

Pretty easy to find happiness when you're the Roman Emperor.
>>
>>26955433
>hurr durr being le emperor is easy meme
>>
>>26955347
Agreed on the gender bit. Languange is damn tricky...
>Overman actually does translate well there if you use over like a teenage girl.
Yeah but I'd rather cut my dick off and eat it than use the "american teenage girl"-approach to Nietszche. Anyway, the label is really irrelevant to the philosophy, it's more a pet peeve of mine.

>>26955347
>a female's dream should be to birth the ubermensch
Shouldn't that be a man's dream also? I mean, not in the literal sense, but I doubt he thought the ubermench was a different species that would literally pop out fully formed from an ordinary human vagina. We birth the ubermench through our sacrifices and our strife.

>>26955433
>>26954077
This is exactly why I prefer Nietzche: it isn't easy, and that's why it matters.
>>
>>26955642
>more misinterpretations and 'muh feels' nonsense
>>
Haven't read any yet. But I will in July if I can keep on schedule. I'm trying to read the following:

http://www.greatconversation.com/10-year-reading-plan

At a pace of about one work every 4 days.
>>
>>26953881
The original fedora

I can't stand him. He's obnoxious and 2edgy4me
>>
>>26955978
Explain and argue for your position or gtfo, don't just insult people.
>>
>>26956623
Why? What insults.
>>26956153
But that's not true; stop shitposting.

Pseuds on all sides here.
>>
>>26955527
underrated
1qaaaa1a1a1a1ws original
>>
>>26957214
>What insults?
Not actually replying to the content of any of my posts but just calling it "misinterpretations and 'muh feels' nonsense" without even explaining why, which can be interpreted as purely an insult and not an attempt to discuss philosophy.
>>
>>26957275
>discuss
Why is discussion good, and why do you think anything here is discussion?
>>
>>26957317
It's not good necessarily, but clearly is implied as somewhat desirable in a thread about philosophy. I could also turn the question around: why do you think avoiding discussion and/or insulting instead is a good idea?
>>
File: Nietzsche1871.jpg (593 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
Nietzsche1871.jpg
593 KB, 900x900
O.G. F E D O R A
G.
F
E
D
O
R
A
>>
Will to power makes me want to go lift
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.