[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
There is no free will. Discuss.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 11
File: free-will.jpg (162 KB, 1000x655) Image search: [Google]
free-will.jpg
162 KB, 1000x655
There is no free will.

Discuss.
>>
What is there left to discuss?
>>
>>26949487
Is truu, there are only free G A I N Z
>>
We're mostly propelled by determined events, but I still FEEL like I have free will, so you stupid babby determinists can get FUCKED.
>>
Perhaps it's just a clever illusion
>>
>>26949561
I guess you're right

Originalio comentario
>>
Since you cannot go back in time to see if you would have made another decision, it would seem that free will is an impossibility. You were always bound to make one choice based on your past choices and experiences.
>>
The real illusion is sentience. We're just biochemical robots with an illusion of individuality so we don't kill ourselves because we're "aware".
>>
>>26949487

>Discuss

3 pages, APA format.. Due Wednesday
>>
>>26949634
>3 page essay due Wednesday
>haven't even started yet
Just kill me.
>>
>>26949634
>APA
>not MLA

End it now
>>
>>26949487
Theoretically, there is no free will because if one knew everything about the brains chemistry, structure and outside impulses one could know exactly what a person would do.
>>
If there is no free will, how do you explain advertising?
>>
I was professionally tested to have an IQ of 92 around the time I was 14 years old. I'm not really sure what that means, but, it seems like everything that happened to me before then was just a shitstorm.
>>
>>26949487
If Free Will was unexistent why would we have qualia?
Why would subjectivity even exist?
>>
It even said that were was intratest variability, and that the estimation of the potential I had was in the high average range.
>>
>>26949487
although its detrimental for the individual to recognize this and nobody should be exposed to this level of reality
>>
Let's skip str8 to the fun part m8

What caused the first cause?
>>
>>26949487
I choose to not to discuss
>>
>>26949786
We'll never know.
>>
>>26949487
everything is coded on automation
everything is a chain reaction you have no free will you go from one distraction to the next
>>
>>26949786
The first reason?
>>
There's some pretty compelling scientific evidence that essentially proves free will is an illusion, or at least, that the classical idea of free will is an illusion. Essentially, every decision you make is made unconsciously before you consciously decide "hey, I think I'll have pizza for dinner today". Link below.

http://www.nature.com/news/2008/080411/full/news.2008.751.html
>>
>>26949487
The illusion is good enough
>>
>>26949855
You don't need an in-depth scientific analysis on why we don't have free will.

There are reasons behind every choice we make. Our personalities are coded by the world around us and our DNA. You are who you are because of everything out of your control.
>>
File: 1454192088822.jpg (111 KB, 466x432) Image search: [Google]
1454192088822.jpg
111 KB, 466x432
>>26949487
There is free will just like there is free thinking and free expression. Denying this just makes you a fucking baby.Read ride the tiger it actually goes into this a bit. For instance you would have to say you were determined to right this post before you even thought of that act when really this wasn't premeditated and you are just shit posting but I digress.
>>
>>26949664
underrated post
>muh no meme robot
>>
>>26950016
>to right this post

The illusion of free will is a complex abstract idea. Its not meant to be understood by everyone anon
>>
>>26949582
your feelings don't mean shit
>>
>>26950041
Wow you must be really good at understanding illusions to have written such flagrant burning pig shit like that.You didn't even refute my claim cuckwad. So yes there is free will and yes our brains have a subconscious and desires but this I hardly anything new. But of course you literally don't understand what you are even saying so you have to be a fucking grammar Nazi. How could you even be so delusional? If someone could give me even a semi rational conclusion that would be perfect.
>>
Free will exists but it's very limited since freedom doesn't exist.
>>
File: 201003111257[1].jpg (126 KB, 588x819) Image search: [Google]
201003111257[1].jpg
126 KB, 588x819
>>26949487
felt like this was relevant
I sometimes feel that I'm relevant as well
>>
>>26949487
We have a choice between being in favor or against the argument.But we are all discussing it. We are all dancing in one way or another
>>
>>26949664
That's bloody brilliant!
>>
>>26950252
If you believe freedom doesn't exist you don't have much freedom. I on the other hand am completely free
>>
>>26949487
The illusion of free will is as good as the real thing.
>>
>>26949487
Dats true xD I am controlled right now making this post :( omg I will never be free...
>>
>>26949664
Advertising is designed in a way that you don't get to choose.Unconscious convincing.Also,if I sell you something that you need,you don't really have a choice.
>>
>>26950338
no you are not "completely" free. that's like saying you are god.
>>
>>26950016
Yeah, you do digress, you lack even a Philosophy 101 understanding of the concept of the will, of causality, and of how what you just said actually supports free will. The fact that people like you exist undermines free will because why would someone choose to be you?
>>
>>26949487
What practical significance would possessing free will have? That is, how would life be any different between a human who had free will and a human who didn't?

How could one even show they had free will?
>>
File: 1454195000353.gif (879 KB, 245x230) Image search: [Google]
1454195000353.gif
879 KB, 245x230
>>26949634
>just 3
>due wednesday
Doesn't sound like such a big deal Tbh
>>
>>26949855
>>26949949
I don't get papers and that kinda thinking.
I mean, so it's your subconscious, genetics, and external factors that affect your choices.
Okay, how does that stop free will? how is it that when my body is so good at figuring out what I want to eat it does it in the background long before I actually go to get the food, I did not choose what to get? I did choose in a very literally way. my subconcsious isn't another person's is it? If it's mine tnat I made the choice. same with the genetics and external factors. if my DNA predisposes me to doing X, then it is still my choice. even if the external factors are basically forcing me to do y, it's still my choice. I could choose to face a horrible fate over it or go against what I am predisposed to go for.

all this free will talk just sounds dumb to me
>>
>>26950449
You're not "doing what you want", you're doing what you've been programmed to do.
>>
You have to differentiate between the ability to make conscious choices, or choice in general, and free will first.

Many people conflate the two, when they are not the same.

Free will essentially means that you are the absolute source of your own agency, and that no external or internal cause other than your willing something is the reason for a choice.

This is clearly not true, however, this doesn't mean that people do not make choices, and that they shouldn't be responsible for those choices.
>>
>>26950507
it's not black and white like that
I'm programmed to do certain things because it's for the best. like eating, breathing, not getting hurt, fucking, things like that.
it's still up to me to choose. if I do nothing I wither away and die.
it's my choice, whether subconscious or not, what I eat, drink, fuck, do, or even think

I don't get how this line of thinking works. "you have to do stuff to live and you instinctively know now to do certain things, therefor free will doesn't exist."
it sounds so dumb. if you make an AI and slap in some safe guards from it smashing itself up, or draining it's battery to much, it's still an AI right? assuming it's true strong AI that is. It may have some background programs telling it what to do, but they do not control it. only guide it. what is in us does not seem any different. the mind says hey you should probably do this, I think it's right. it's up to you to listen to that or now
>>
>>26949487
There is no 'free will' in the traditional sense of the word. Everything we do, have done, and will do has some cause behind it. Furthermore, our decisions are merely driven by chemical manipulation in our brains.

That being said, we do still have control over these things. We can more or less control the chemical manipulation to a degree thus affecting the decision. However, this control is presupposed by previous experiences, physical/mental development, biases, the situation in which the decision is being made, and the current chemical composition in the brain (neurotransmitter amounts). This all affects our conscious decision. Our subconscious has already calculated a decision for 'us' and our conscious self is left to interpret this decision and either go with or against it.
>>
>>26950152
Here, I'll try to refute your claim:

To start off, I've read Ride the Tiger, and its quasi-Fascist, pop philosophy bullshit.

>For instance you would have to say you were determined to right this post before you even thought of that act when really this wasn't premeditated
Yes, I am saying that you and I were determined to right these posts before we "thought" of them. That's what determinism is; that everything has to be the way it is and everyone has to do what they do.

Pay very close attention to your thought process. Thoughts just arise out of consciousness. We do not author our own thoughts, that would require that we think about them before we think them. It is impossible to think about your thoughts before you think them. You can for instance, say to yourself "I will next about a firetruck." then think about a firetruck. But why a firetruck, did you plan that out? You weren't planning to think about anything, you were just experiencing the illusion of planning thought, and you were caused to do this by trying to prove that you have free will. The vast majority of the thought process doesn't flow in this way anyways, and if you "try" to do it, it will feel very unnatural.

Even if we had freedom of will, let's examine how that would work: All of your decisions are based on events outside of you. You are reacting to other situations, and although you have the "freedom" to take infinitely many courses of actions, always you will follow one of them. If I say "Prove to me you have freedom of will" and then you cut your own dick off, and use this as an example of how you have freedom of will because obviously no outside force could lead someone to want to cut their own dick off, you are ignoring that you did it because you wanted to prove me wrong so badly, and that the question was the cause of such inexplicable unpredictable action, not some internal mover.

comment too long will continue if anyone cares
>>
>>26949855
Determinism ftw senpai
>>
>>26950581
>it's my choice, whether subconscious or not, what I eat, drink, fuck, do, or even think

Not really. There's a whole host of factors that inform your decisions. Like I said, there's a reason behind every choice you make.

Even behind something as simple as choosing an apple over an orange. You don't have a preference for certain foods just because you choose to like them. From the way you dress to the type of music you like is all decided by environmental, social/societal and genetic influences. Your opinions are manifestation of all these things. Even your train of logic is decided by your experiences and the people you've encountered.

You can't just choose to make something have an appeal to you. It either does or it doesn't.

If you want to prove to yourself how much free will you have, then I challenge you to genuinely hate something you truly love or vice versa. Do it on a moment's notice, right now without any external force influencing your reasoning for doing so (except for me, of course).

I want you to genuinely be disgusted by your favorite dish or treat just because you decide it is absolutely genuinely revolting.
>>
>>26950377
If you limit yourself you ain't free >>26950399
But you haven't given me any evidence good sir! And you are actually the one who doesn't understand I'm saying that free will is a given just like free expression and free thinking. >philosophy 101

P35:Falsity consists in the deprivation of knowledge which inadequate, or mutilated and confused ideas involve. ( Spinoza, Ethics)

P44:It is the nature of reason to regard things as necessary, not as contingents. (Spinoza. Ethics)

P45: Each idea of each body, or or each singular thing which actually exists, necessarily involves an eternal and infinite essence of God.(Spinoza, ethics)

P49: In the mind there is no volition,or affirmation and negation, except that which the idea involves insofar as it is an idea(Spinoza,Ethics)

D7: That thing is called free which exists from the necessity of its nature alone, and is determined to act by itself alone. But a thing is called necessary, or rather compelled , which is determined by another to exist and to produce an effect in a certain determinate manner (Spinoza Ethics)

>>26950663
Nothing you just said is true and you should really try to learn how logic works. You are saying that my free will is an illusion when this simply is not true. So no I didn't think about the fire truck I just read your bullshit and no sane man would cut his dick off or question his motives for cutting his dock off I could alternatively take infinite courses of action as you described but I would still have to take one of my many choices. Care to explain why you don't believe in free will? I consider it less than rational to base my will or decisions on external circumstances.
>>
>>26950802
>that inform your decisions
not make them. suggest, inform, advise. this is why I don't get how people are confusing "hey you should do this" with "YOU DO AS I SAY".
they are two completely different things and it is blatantly obvious.
I don't think enjoying or liking something on an emotional or physical level has much to do with it. It was never a choice that apples taste good to me, nor could one change their brain's structure to suddenly disike that taste.

You can, however, choose to never eat an apple again even though you like them and they are good for you. That is free will. Not being able to change your taste buds, brain structure, and other such things does not mean you don't have free will. I'd even say they have absolutely nothing to do with free will. Free will is choosing, things involve with choice. Saying "you can't physically alter your body like a shapeshifter therefor you have no free will" is dumb. liking something has little to do with free will, at least til you make a choice about. liking apple is just that. liking apple. no choice there, no question, no nothing. just a statement.
it's not til you ask "apple or orange?" or choose not to eat it do you engage in free will.
>>
True as fuck. We are chemics and physic and as a apple doesn't chose to hit the ground I'm not choosing to write this. Is the only fucking thing I can do in this moment.

I've reached this and other conclusions by myself and I've discovered that (obviously) there are whole philosophical theories based on this stuff.
>>
>>26950940
>I don't think enjoying or liking something on an emotional or physical level has much to do with it

Sure it does. Your beliefs and opinions inform your actions. And your beliefs and opinions are informed by the aforementioned informants.

I don't really see what you're arguing or how you could possibly argue that you do what you want just because you want to do it.
>>
>>26950899
This is either super advanced trolling or you just googled something like "Spinoza free will quotes."

Did you know that Spinoza was a determinist? You would if you had ever actually read him.
>In the mind there is no volition
Why did you quote this, did you even read this quote? That is a direct denial of free will.
>Nothing you just said is true
>Care to explain why you don't believe in free will?
Ok then tell me why it is not true.
You have no actual arguments, I already explained some of the reasons why I don't believe in free will, if you will give me any sort of explanation for why you believe in free will instead of just saying "that's simply not true, nothing you said is true." then I will explain myself some more.
>>
>>26951078
>how you could possibly argue that you do what you want just because you want to do it.

This.

"A man can do what he wills, but he cannot will what he wills." - Schopenhauer.
>>
>>26949786
It's like asking where is universe beginning.
It doesn't it's everywhere. Understanding it structure require higher level of perception of time and space than we have.
>>
File: 1452362512138.jpg (50 KB, 850x400) Image search: [Google]
1452362512138.jpg
50 KB, 850x400
>>26951083
Spinoza was not a deterministic you just dont understand a simple quote it doesn't matter if you have no volition you are free to choose whatever you want and only if you succumbs to your own preconceived bias I.e volition will you have the illusion of no free will. Refer to P35 I'm saying that your wrong because you base assumptions on false information i.e I can not explain free will or the human will to power therefore freewill does not exist. This Is a proven fucking fact, free will exists ipso facto you are wrong. I believe free will exists because it is an ideal which agrees with itself and is necessary to human survival I.e actuall decision making. It could be that you are so fucking stupid that you can't make a decision for yourself or maybe you just like to be everyone's bitch. Don't try and explain yourself you're full of shit and you know it.
>>
>>26951078
>Your beliefs and opinions inform your actions
Yes, inform. Not choose, not tell you exactly what to do or else you get locked out and put on auto mode. Brain tells you to get out of the fire, you don't have to. You could sit in it and die, it would suck and I doubt anyone would do that, but it's completely within the realm of possibility to do. Nothing will float you out of the fire, you won't go in third person and watch as your body goes on auto polite.
>your beliefs and opinions are informed by the aforementioned informants.
Yup, but again this is not the end all be all of your mind. Those are little more that guide notes you some times take a peak at. They honestly mean very little since they only apply to us currently. If we went full transhumanism standing in a fire wouldn't mean much. Not eating would mean nothing. You'd probably still have your brain freak out during all this, but you can ignore it. People do that every day. Ignore what they should do, what their brain says is right, to do other dumb stuff.
>I don't really see what you're arguing
That your brain may try to guide you to certain things or give you tips, but it ultimately does not control you. You control it. Your genes, life experiences, and all that didn't come together to pick your breakfast. You did, using all that stuff to your advantage. It doesn't control you, you control it.
>how you could possibly argue that you do what you want just because you want to do it.
I'm not arguing that, even though it is true. You do what you do because you like doing that, and some times you figure out doing what you want isn't for the best so you don't do it. There's nothing more to it. Those background thoughts are just that, background noise. They don't matter in the grand scheme. Either you make the choice, or the things that make you make the choice. It's the same thing, you made the choice, you are all of those things put together. experiences, and other personal traits solely you have?
>>
I think, therefore I am
You question it, therefore you have the free will to wonder
>>
File: 1452563314423.jpg (31 KB, 373x523) Image search: [Google]
1452563314423.jpg
31 KB, 373x523
>>26951254
I'm sorry it appears that Spinoza was a determinist, a shame his views suggested otherwise.
>>
>>26951254
Good trolling man, you have gotten me to write more than any other troll. It was very subtle in your first two posts but this one pushed it a little to far. I sincerely admire your work.
>>
>>26949487
"Free will," as a classification itself is illusory. The entire debate is a joke. Will is grounded anatomically in our brains most likely, and our understanding of our brains is utterly insufficient. Therefore it is impossible to determine whether or not the free will is a useful abstraction in matters of consciousness.
>>
>>26951314
Could you rephrase this do you think that Spinoza was a determinist or not?
>>
>>26951262
If your brain is telling you to get out of a fire then what is telling you stay in the fire? Your non-brain?

I don't think you understand what free will is or means. Just because you don't know why you do something doesn't mean there's no reason behind you do it. Nothing is done simply because you want to do it. There is a reason, or several, as to why you believe you have free will. There's a reason why feel compelled to engage with me in this argument about it.

Before you make any decision, there's a lapse in awareness of you making that decision. That means your brain decides what you're going to do before you know you're going to do it. Now, unless you can prove empirically and neurologically that we do what we want regardless of what goes on in our brain, I'd say your fighting for a lost cause.
>>
>>26951402
Good on you man you really are good at deluding yourself, good grief I was actually hoping you would give me some good arguments to support your claims but it seems you would rather be a child . Maybe you don't understand what Determnism is?

>>26951451
I'm sorry it appears that Spinoza was not a determinist, a shame his views suggest otherwise.
>>
>>26951454
Or you decide before you're aware of the decision.
>>
>>26951454
>Your non-brain?
You. There is only your brain. There is only you.
> Just because you don't know why you do something doesn't mean there's no reason behind you do it. Nothing is done simply because you want to do it.
Of course. What I am saying is these reasons are internal. As in, they are made by you.
How you could think something accruing in your own head is somehow not you is amazing. You are your subconscious, you are your genetics, you are your life experiences. They make you up, they are you, you control them to do as you see fit. What you see fit is shaped by the things that make you up. It is very simple.
>That means your brain decides what you're going to do before you know you're going to do it.
"your brain". Not someone else's. Yours. You.
Why you think "you", the one making all the decisions, is not you is baffling. You are splitting hairs thinking the processes of your brain are somehow disconnected from you and thus do not count as you making you not have free will.
>>
>>26951538
Bugger all I clearly meant to say he is a determinist..
>>
>>26949487
Determinimism is the religion of nihilists. And just as illogical and irrational as all other religions.
>>
>>26951581
There is only your brain. You only have a sense of self because of your brain and the things that influence it.

Before any action is executed it passes through your brain. What you're essentially saying is you control what neurological responses occur when you encounter an event. You're arguing that you tell your brain what to do.

Determinism doesn't mean you can't change your mind, it just means that your decision to change your mind was determined by something you may or may not be aware of.
>>
Believing there is no free will is literally the most retarded thing ever. It's literally a self fulfilling prophecy.
>>
>>26951620
That's a mighty big claim and conflation with absolutely no reasons backing it.

Dismissed.
>>
>>26951538
A shame you have never actually read Spinoza.
>I'm sorry it appears that Spinoza was not a determinist, a shame his views suggest otherwise
That is blatantly false.
How about instead of me wasting more time explaining shit to you you actually read some Spinoza?
"Men believe themselves to be free because they are conscious of their own actions and are ignorant of the causes by which they are determined"

You are lying, and you know it. You have never read Spinoza, and you barely know anything about him.
>>
>>26949650
That takes 2 hours.
>>
>MLA
>not DIN

End it now.
>>
>>26951700
The exact same reason I dismissed the OP.

Keep worshiping causality, ignoramus.
>>
>>26951680
>What you're essentially saying is you control what neurological responses occur when you encounter an event.
Not at all. I'm saying that your brain may do things automatically, like warn or advise you, but it does not decide for you. It can scream all it wants to get out of the fire, you do not have to listen. You do not have to do anything.
>You're arguing that you tell your brain what to do.
In a way you do. You need to stop looking at things in an all or nothing else. The brain tells you some stuff, you tell it some stuff, it suggests routes of action, you don't have to take them. You do tell your brain what to do, just as it tells you want to do. It isn't a all you or all brain, it's both. It's not absolute free will to alter your brain as you see fit on the fly or robot drone that only obeys. It's inbetween those somewhere, constantly relocating as needed.
>>
Free will is not an illusion. I hate the illusion argument it refrains from giving an explanation or even thinking about free will as something to discuss. I think people are afraid of making their own decisions so they let others make it for them. That's why most people would trust doctors to decide whether or not they should get on certain medication to cure their cancer, for their own good. The people who suffer from this system are poor people with no power or influence on the rich elite.
>>
The universe is fundamentally nondeterministic.
>>
>>26951894
Nondeterministic =/= Free will
>>
File: 111123432.jpg (28 KB, 1008x720) Image search: [Google]
111123432.jpg
28 KB, 1008x720
Ideally, I believe in free will in the sense that nothing in the future is certain and there is an extent in which you can choose how you react to things. But most things are instinct, and it's better that way. You'd probably be dead if it were up to "you" making every choice.
>>
>>26951910
That isn't what I said.
>>
ITT: people who think you are your thoughts.

No.
>>
>>26949487
>There is no free will

This is what people with weak, ineffectual Wills say to others. Will is a muscle you strengthen through the engagement of itself. You need to will yourself to develop your Will. An iron will isn't something you're born with. How can you deny stories of people cutting off their own limbs to survive in moments of mortal danger? Nietzche would fucking spit on you.
>>
>>26951989
No, it isn't, but coming into a thread about free will and saying the universe is nondeterministic implies as such.
>>
>le chemical reactions meme

Free will is real. The subconscious influences you on certain levels, but ultimately you make the final calls. You can choose to listen to or not listen to messages from your body and your subconscious. It's not "just chemical reactions, man", you're not only the bi-product of all the systems in your body, you ARE those systems. You're in the consciousness position of the king at the top of the fruits of the labour of your body, yet you are also the processes that allow for that to happen. You're everything you allow yourself to be, but only if that's what you want. Yet you can still put yourself under the illusion that you've given your control away (see low IQ niggers for example), if that's what you think is best.
>>
>>26952041
>not understanding what FREE will is

This isn't about willpower you Ayn Randian dipshit. This is about are our actions caused or not.
>>
>>26949487
Free will is our hippy-ass name for our internal decision making process. We make decisions, we make them within ourselves, we make them biologically. We ARE biological creatures, and therefore in a sense we do have free will.
>>
>>26949949
>You are who you are because of everything out of your control.
Who am *I* then? Some spiritual observer trapped inside a carnal body? Fucking dualism hippie
>>
>>26952102
You're a colossal idiot, you know that? Our actions are caused by our Willpower. IT TAKES WILLPOWER TO OVERRIDE INSTINCTUAL, NATURAL URGES. Get it?

It takes willpower to override environmental pressures, numbskull. Your immediate situation in life (read: things within your control) is proportional to the exertion and effectiveness of your willpower. If you even have to ask whether or not your actions are self-caused, I can pretty much fucking bet you are a weak willed bitch.
>>
>>26951784
>>26951762
So give me an example of action without a cause. An action done with no ties to the brain. Something simply because the person wanted to do it
>>
>>26952285
The brain IS the person, you jackass.
>>
>>26952285
There are cases of people born without a brain being able to respond to external stimuli and even recognize their mother.

Problem is that they do not last long.
>>
>>26952355
That was my point from the very beginning. "You" wouldn't exist without your brain and the things that influence it.

>>26952559
Unless you can provide me with sources, I can't believe that at all. It's a very extravagant claim. How would they test for awareness without a brain? What physical, neurological structure would they be observing to discern awareness?
>>
>>26952619
Are you retarded? You are your brain, your brain makes decisions, therefore you make decisions.
>>
File: 1453958431392.png (85 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1453958431392.png
85 KB, 500x500
>>26951711
>Implying I believe everything Spinoza had to say.
Good night sheep.

I'm only using his observations and hypotheses to strenghtnen my argument and explain why this would actually contradict your beliefs. I'm 1000% certain that men are capable of understanding their own causes for the effects and actions of their life, to say otherwise is auto-sadism so maybe you should go back and read ride the tiger you dumb nigger.
>>
>>26952237
>Our actions are caused by our Willpower

Oh, so you decided to have willpower? Why do you think some people have more willpower than other people?
>>
>>26952784
Wow.

I don't even know what to say to this. I...wow.
>>
>>26951747
How long will a 6 page historical research paper in chicago style take me? Due monday by 10am
>>
We have no evidence to observe awareness but anecdotal.
>>
>>26952237
You're conflating freedom and free will. You're also conflating determinism with fatalism.

Every decision and action you make is filtered through your brain. Even if the cause is something as simple as impulsivity, it doesn't happen without the brain's involvement.
>>
>>26952844
Fee will swims through consciousness. When the stream is too strong it gets dragged by it. You can observe this phenomenon on yourself. Everything else is just assumptions.
>>
File: Untitled.png (1 MB, 1000x655) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
1 MB, 1000x655
>>26949487
original painting
>>
babby's first venture into determinism

always boring
>>
>>26952990
This literally makes no fucking sense.
>>
what is free will? really, what does it even mean?
>>
>>26953050
Why do you think so? It is as simple as observing yourself. Eventually you should find compelling evidence that hardcore determinism is flawed.
>>
>>26949634
>not MLA

jump into a pit of lava kind sir
>>
>>26953135
What evidence? If you observe something can't what you observe still be the manifestation of an illusion?
>>
>>26952285
>An action done with no ties to the brain. Something simply because the person wanted to do it
Do you even understand your own position? A person couldn't "want" to do something without using his brain. An action with no ties to the brain, such as the Patellar reflex, is quite the opposite of free will.

The core issue at hand here has always been whether or not everything is determined from the beginning.

The Church of Determinism assumes this is so, much like (say) Jehovah's Witnesses assume that everything in the Bible is true.

After you accept their core assumptions, everything else is internally consistent and logical, so it seems convincing. But it's all based on a big "what if" that, when challenged, is invariably answered by vague hand-waving like "We can't really fathom the answer to that question."
>>
>>26953230
You'd call electricity an illusion if you were struck by a lightningbolt.
It is as simple as taking a closer look at how brain interacts with mind. They are not the same and you can prove it to yourself with enough practice and the right methods. The problem is that, when you find out, you won't be able to convince anyone of your claims unless they walk the same way.

Tl;dr: sounds like BS but it's not.
>>
>>26949487
What does this mean for us? What are the ramifications of this?
>>
>>26954074
There are literally no consequences whatsoever.
>>
>>26954365
Then I guess I'm okay with this.
>>
>>26952844
Reread the fucking posts. Free will is developed through discipline.
>>
File: 1453246393453.gif (138 KB, 768x368) Image search: [Google]
1453246393453.gif
138 KB, 768x368
Free will is a illusion by itself, made from us. Every animal is led by a godly presence, by the presence of now. Now is the free will, not tomorrow, not yesterday, now!

In this moment, every moment, you can do the fuck you want!

But for the most humans, lust, greed, and hatred is their main aspect of their lives.

But for enlightened persons like buddha, or jesus, every moment is free, every second.

There is no need to think about future or past, in this moment you live, and in this moment you decide, decide what's the most logical thing to do.

Most people life in the future, and drink alcohol, party, have sex.

That's controlled life, you get controlled by the media which tells you to live like this, in this state of unconciousness, you are not free.
>>
god damn fuk u nsa
Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.